Punch-Drunk Love
Punch-Drunk-Love

Punch-Drunk Love

2002
Romance, Comedy
Barry Egan is a small business owner with seven sisters who kept him alone and unable to fall in love. When a harmonium and a mysterious woman enter his life, his romantic journey begins.
Hoopla

People kept saying; "Adam Sandler is actually good in this one". I didn't believe them. I mean, how could I? So I watched it. Turned out he was good. Actually, he was very good. And so was the rest.
Pffft. You should hear my wife and I pillow talk.
Like a jazz improv, with the illusion of being made in flow. Unmemorable in the best sense; unassuming, expressive in the moment with kaleidoscopic changes of light, shape, colour, sound. Take the poster shot, left: the characters reunite in bright, warm Hawaii, then the gaze switches from a melodramatic mid-shot to this figurative dance of silhouettes. Artisanal filmmaking.
I was incredibly uncomfortable for the majority of this movie, feeling second hand embarrassment for Sandler's character. But that's okay, because feeling this way made the... let's call it redemption... of Barry all the more satisfying. This is my fourth P.T. Anderson viewing experience, and I'm always seem to underestimate him. Damned near perfect every time. I should probably just own up to the fact that he's one of my new favourite directors.
I myself grew up with three older sisters, my mother, as well as a number of her female friends for the majority of my life; no brothers or father. As a result, I resonate strongly with Barry Egan. PTA always has had a strong eye for visuals, and Punch-Drunk Love delivers. Sandler is wonderful as the emotionally unstable Barry Egan. With this character, Sandler creates an emotional roller coaster whilst simultaneously making us laugh at his misfortune. A unique and beautiful triumph from PTA.

Last modified by:doganaydoganay on 11 Mar 2015