2015
Two women who grew up together discover they have drifted apart when they retreat to a lake house together. (imdb)

2015

Rated 11 Oct 2015
If you want a movie about a woman slowly descending into madness, and you also like staying awake during movies, watch Blue Jasmine. Moss is of course brilliant, but there's not enough here to keep it compelling for two hours.
Rated 15 Feb 2015
Lynn Shelton meets Neil LaBute. My favorite by Alex Ross Perry so far. Superb work by Moss and Waterston.
Rated 31 Oct 2015
If this feels like a step backwards from Listen Up Philip, it's only because it would be nearly impossible for Perry to top the accomplishments of the prior film. This a smaller film in every sense, but still quite powerful and perceptive (and even more scathingly intense and relentlessly claustrophobic). The reference points this time resonate with me in a less immediate way, but what Perry is doing with the psychological chamber dramas of Fassbinder, Bergman, and Polanski is still interesting.
Rated 06 Oct 2015
With respect to its mumblecorish glaze, Queen of Earth failed to make me care about its whiny little bitch of a protagonist, and her understandably aloof friend.
Rated 09 Oct 2015
Viewed October 8, 2015. This movie is right. Being a person is scary, and the only true psychological horror out there is what lurks inside of our heads. Unsettling, crude, a heady exploration of the psyche filtered through 70s pulp and Bergmanesque intellectualism. Worth it if only for the beauty of the images. Elisabeth Moss is the light of my life.
Rated 26 Oct 2015
What do you rate a movie that has incredible performances and is beautifully shot, but overall put you to sleep by the end? 7/10 it was ok
Rated 26 Dec 2015
Truly good psychological thrillers are supposed to linger. This doesn't.
Rated 08 Sep 2015
surprising to be saying this about a perry film but it's limited by its screenplay; where LUP joltingly subverted its own obvious influences, this either overcompensates (sometimes in a self-consciously comic way, granted) or feels conservative. fortunately, perry and the two wonderful leads do everything in their power to elevate it (maybe their finest work in each case) and the result is intense, revealing, even spellbinding for stretches, even if it doesn't resonate as much as i had hoped.
Rated 13 Sep 2015
rich people: cynical assholes or selfish wrecks? no other alternative in this claustrophobic / stylish situation film. great use of music.
Rated 22 Sep 2015
A bit too melodramatic and misanthropic for me to take as seriously as it seemed to take itself, and the couples at the lake house trope is beginning to feel a little played, but this was nonetheless well acted and well directed.
Rated 04 Aug 2019
Grueling arthouse that often feels like an exercise in audience-shaming a la Funny Games. There's all sorts of high-minded themes here, but they never really lead to anything. It's just horrible people being horrible to one another with the occasional sparkle of dark humor to break up the tedious suffering. All in all, this is just a rather stale leftover from the "my life is darker than thine" schtick of the early 00s--just with a lot more self-awareness.
Rated 16 Sep 2015
At first it felt like I wasn't going to like Queen of Earth (2015). The atmosphere was too minimalistic. You know the way so many movies are these days, where they underplay just about everything. Could very easily become meaningless like most of those kinds of pictures does. But then the acting comes alive. Very alive. And you don't know it's it's a horror or a weirdly sad drama. The key scenes of dialogue between Elisabeth Moss and Patrick Fugit sealed the emotional impact.
Rated 07 Nov 2016
Queen of Earth starts with a bang, and then it uncomfortably moves through a slow unraveling of our central character. The psychological tension that it extrudes is biting, in a way that elicits some sort of dread. Waterston and Moss deliver some impressive performances in their narcissistic sort of way. With its brief running time, it is difficult to feel any sympathy for either one, even though both yearn for it. Ultimately, the film is a challenging watch, which is worth the effort.
Rated 11 May 2016
A really interesting vibe and style in this film, which made it watchable, and the performances from both leads were wonderful. I just think the film might have benefited a lot if any of the characters had been the slightest bit sympathetic. Maybe dial back the drama just a bit...
Rated 15 Jul 2019
This is a movie bogged down by its lack of exposition. Why should I care? Ok, so I know that's not exactly the point. The film is more about the atmosphere, cinematography, score, and brilliant acting, but IMO a little bit of exposition would have gone a long way into making it a less tedious, and more complete film.
Rated 26 Jan 2016
oyunculuklar, kurgu ve genel itibariyle filmin örülüü çok iyi. bu tarz filmlere dair yorumlarda karakterler için yazlanlar okumak filme yönelik keskin tepkilerin sebebini de ortaya çkaryor gibi, çünkü filmdeki karakter incelemesi ve onlar üzerinden daha genel bir çerçeve çizmenin aksine yorumlarda hep bir karakter yarglamas oluyor ve bu filmin kendisinin ötesinde, onunla alakasz bir yere gidiyor. insan ilikilerin
Rated 25 Mar 2020
I can dig the attempt to replicate the best of Fassbinder here, and there is a glass-like similarity here to how these characters woefully interact with each other. But then again, most of what gets built up around these characters leads to apathy from the viewers, and the great acting can't amplify that to a degree where we actually care.
Rated 03 Oct 2017
Maybe it was just too different from what i want out of Perry but this was still more interesting than what most new filmmakers are doing. Seems to kind of revert to the Cassavetes worship of earlier mumblecore stuff albeit much more well made.
Rated 03 Apr 2019
I understand that it's kino for theoretical reasons, but really did not enjoy watching it. The acting is good, the cinematography is good, the writing is good, my rating just reflects how the movie made me feel. I get that it's a satire and plays with some horror/thriller motifs, I just found it difficult to watch. The characters all treat each other so terribly. Relating to any of them would be a scary realization.
Rated 21 Dec 2016
Beautiful, captivating, naturalistic and carefully composed. A small, unpainted jewel of a film from start to finish.
Rated 19 Jan 2016
The examination of a mental breakdown has never been portrayed with so much incoherency. You are likely to go a little crazy trying to make sense of it. The highlight is the beautiful Katherine Waterston. The low points are every time Elisabeth Moss or Patrick Fugit is onscreen. Not because they gave bad performances, but because their characters are uninteresting, unlikable, toxic & extremely tiresome. Abysmal writing. Strange framework. I can sum up this movie in one word, TEDIOUS!
Rated 07 Aug 2017
Ladies and gentleman: Good acting!
Rated 20 Jan 2016
Perry carefully carries the horror-inflected atmosphere through the well-played, precipitous descent of Catherine's mental state. The silence and stillness of the remote location works as an unsettling counterpoint to the sometimes friendly/sometimes menacing dialogue. The final result feels a lot like a mashup of late 60s/early 70s Bergman--Persona, Hour of the Wolf, Cries and Whispers.
Rated 30 Sep 2016
Typically stress is something I try to avoid at all costs, but Queen of Earth created stress in an artistic way. The only tool they used to evoke this emotion that I didn't care for was the overly dynamic sound mix. This is a strong example of the frailness of the human mind. The acting was powerful and pulled all of the emotions out of me that I think it was trying to. The tension builds at a great pace and turns into a horror-like genre.