Rain Man

Rain Man

1988

Rated 20 May 2014
It is extremely hard to find the right balance when an actor is playing someone that has a mental disability and overall I thought they took it a bit too far with the character's simple mindedness and child like desires. But, that's Tom Cruise for you.
Rated 29 Aug 2009
This is a simply brilliant movie. The way the two brothers were able to become close given such a difficult situation is very touching. Hoffman's performance was magnificent as playing the role of someone with severe autism like this would be very difficult. Cruise's performance was also good, an excellant complement to Hoffman. They were also able to effectively add humor to the movie, a difficult task in a movie such as this. Great film!
Rated 17 Dec 2015
Boasts two strong lead performances dragged through dull travel montages. Can you believe Hans Zimmer wrote that corny world music? There seems to be a hint at child abuse connecting the brothers' idiosyncrasies - both are emotionally stunted, obsessive, verbose, and prone to outburst. But Charlie remains exploitative far too long for their eventual connection to feel genuine, as the train leaves I get the sense that he's already planning on squeezing his brother for more money somehow.
Rated 02 May 2017
A deeply unpleasant movie that asks you to identify with the frustration of a sociopathic narcissist who only discovers empathy after learning how to exploit his brother for financial gain. On the one hand, it's a brutally honest comment on how social stigmas associated with mental health operate in a high-powered, capitalist society, and on the other hand, it's pretty disturbingly rendered. I'm not sure formula-driven melodrama is the most nuanced medium to be able to strike the right balance.
Rated 20 Aug 2007
More a source of annoying catchphrases than a work of art. Still, it has a solid place in popular culture so it should be seen.
Rated 23 Feb 2010
"Charlie Babbitt made a joke!"
Rated 27 Feb 2007
Dustin Hoffmans performance as an autistic sevant is astoundingly realistic in this beautiful drama about two brothers growing closer together.
Rated 02 Mar 2007
Great film.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Rain Man is just one of those movies that, for whatever reason, is fantastic. The acting is superb but not much else is identifiably great. That being said, it's still a wonderful movie and it's one I will cherish personally my whole life.
Rated 27 Mar 2020
This has got to be one of those films that gives contemporary actors the idea that "stunt acting" will get you all the awards and accolades they have sought all their careers. We are supposed to believe that this is a worthy film because of all the research that director Levinson, writer Bass and actor Hoffman put into; because in the end autistic Raymond isn't "cured" but his yuppie brother is. This movie is peddling in unearned sentimentalist eighties kitsch and I am not buying.
Rated 27 May 2007
Boring. Completely and utterly.
Rated 24 Jul 2007
Not my favorite, but still touching and well-acted.
Rated 06 Jan 2021
A fine film with a weird pan flute score. The scene where Golino teaches Hoffman to kiss feels...odd in 2020. I did love the Hodor reveal of the film's title.
The casino scenes are fun, anyway. Retard roles always win Oscars but Hoffman is still good in this.
Rated 08 Aug 2009
Alright. The imdb summary makes me laugh.
Rated 17 Feb 2017
It's got plenty of sentiment. Sentiments. Plenty of twenty. It'll land on twenty. Sentiments. Twenty sentiments. Plenty of sentiments. I've got a date. I need to meet pancakes with sentiment. Sweet pancakes. Twenty sweet pancake sentiments.
Rated 24 Dec 2014
Hans Zimmer did his best to try and fuck this up. This might be a contender for a spot on the top 10 worst all time movie scores.
Rated 02 Sep 2010
Honestly, I hated the first half of this film. I understand the role of Cruise's character in the beginning, I know that he is supposed to be the stuck up, yuppy, selfish prick -- but he played asshole to the extreme to where I almost stopped watching. This movie was incredible beginning with the explanation of the name Rain Man in the shitty hotel room all the way through the mediocre ending. Hoffman really was amazing and overall this film was pretty solid.
Rated 21 Aug 2008
Ok what we have here? Hoffman, Hoffman, Hoffman...
Rated 25 Jul 2010
Standard fare about a protagonist's journey from self-absorbed materialist to responsible family man, elevated to a strong drama thanks to added autism. A lot has been said about the magnificence of Hoffman's performance, and I shan't detract from that, just note that Tom Cruise also deserves praise. Having to play off Hoffman, Cruise still manages to instil enough presence into every scene to make the movie about his character, which helps make the setup feel perfectly authentic. A good film.
Rated 08 Nov 2008
This film is all about the performances, even if Hoffman's could be deemed exploitative. Worth a watch, but severely overrated and one of the worst Oscar Best Picture winners.
Rated 25 Jul 2011
Autism here is a dramatic gimmick that gives an offbeat tone to a conventional buddy movie, nothing more. Half-assed.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
I cried.
Rated 19 Jul 2011
This road-trip movie about an autistic savant and his callow brother is far from seamless, but Barry Levinson's direction is impressive, and strong performances from Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman add to its appeal.
Rated 11 May 2009
Astonishing performance by Hoffman and Cruise is quite good too. I liked the screenplay but Levinson's directing is a bit too eighties for this movie to be taken seriously, which it deserves.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
It has some problems, but the performances make up for them.
Rated 30 Nov 2006
One of the best performances by an actor ever, Hoffman is just out of this world in this one. Great movie.
Rated 02 Dec 2006
Spectacular performance by both actors
Rated 11 Dec 2006
rofl, retards
Rated 18 Aug 2020
Rain Man is good, but a bit of a relic.
Rated 28 Jan 2013
I liked the film for Dustin Hoffman's acting. Otherwise, I don't see the film anything remarkable
Rated 09 Feb 2011
An old favorite - Sometimes I find it hard to decide which I like better - 80's movies or 80's music...
Rated 06 Mar 2007
Hoffman is spectacular in this very sensitive film; he really deserved the Oscar. There are a couple boring parts but the ending is surprisingly effective.
Rated 26 Mar 2007
Tom Cruise is actually a pretty good actor. And you can't say anything bad about Dustin Hoffman. It's a classic.
Rated 25 Oct 2012
* Casting, Acting : 10 * Script : 8 * Directing, Aura : 8 * Ease of Viewing : 8 * Naked Eye : 8
Rated 20 Jan 2011
Dustin Hoffman really shines in this role.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
Pretty well-done.
Rated 18 Jul 2007
Even cooler is knowing the story of the man who Dustin Hoffman's character is based upon. Wow.
Rated 02 Feb 2013
I really liked this story and how Charlie Babbit develops his character and his relationship with Raymond throughout the course of the movie. I've never known anyone with autism or any other developmental disorder, so it was eye-opening for me to see how it might be to live with someone who has it: extremely stressful at times, but also endearing. The pace of the movie was kind of slow for me, and I couldn't stand most of the soundtrack and score, but I guess that's the 80's for you.
Rated 25 Feb 2011
incredible performance by hoffman, i was at the point where, when i didn't think about it, felt like that's how he really is all the time. valeria golino is always a treat. nothing against nuance and subtlety, but where the hell is tom cruise's arc? it's more like a straight line with the occasional bump. i guess the rest is left to the viewer, but from my personal experience he visits ray once or twice, and then goes back to being a dick who cheats people professionally.
Rated 31 May 2011
"There's something indelible about Rain Man and not only to those of us who lived through the time when it was a zeitgeist movie."
Rated 10 Sep 2009
Powerful story with an amazing performance from Hoffman.
Dustin Hoffman as an autistic - simply AWESOME performance. the 'butt plug' next to him acted accordingly.
Autism sucks.
a classic
Rated 24 Aug 2012
Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise play autistic guys, Cruise a bit more realistically. Could have been a great movie but was too afraid to take itself seriously and the writing was really inconsistent.
Rated 24 Sep 2013
just can hardly remember that movie but i think i liked it ;-)
had some very funny parts, incredible acting from Hoffman, and you could call it touching, as well. Nothing that I can really find wrong with it.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Its got counting in it!
Rated 28 May 2014
- 9/15/11
Rated 03 Jul 2011
I am embarrassed by the amount of times I've seen this stupid movie
Rated 20 Oct 2007
Very moving, although a bit slow at the start, and a sad ending.
Rated 09 Nov 2007
Funny, touching, dramatic, and both actors are fantastic.
Rated 09 Nov 2007
No, it's not as good as you remember it.
Rated 17 Jul 2012
Cruise and Hoffman, despite the former's 21st century social alienation, showcase why they're considered to be among the best actors of all time. Films about mentally challenged people almost always fall into mawkish territory, but Rain Man, thankfully, avoids this. There is not much to criticize, really. Great performances, a good script, and memorable scenes all accumulate to a solid 7 out of 10.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Saw this years ago. Middle school perhaps. Decent movie I guess?
Rated 21 Feb 2008
Iko Iko. Love it. Love it. Love it. Hoffman and Cruise are great in this. The trip to Vegas is really good.
Rated 24 Feb 2008
Just beautiful. People are looking for action, special effects and a thrilling end nowadays. This film has none of that all, but offers so much more than that. We get a clear look in the life of Raymond and we really get to understand and feel his problems. You are just dragged into the story and it feels like you experience everything yourself. Great piece of moviemaking. Wonderfull acting, great directing.
Rated 27 Feb 2008
Goood.
Rated 10 Aug 2013
Hoffman deserved the Oscar, everyone else less so.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
Hoffman of course is stunning, but I think Cruise is overlooked in this. He nails the flabbergasted callous character that slowly is drawn in by his troubled brother.
Rated 23 Feb 2010
Tom Cruise is a pretty convincing asshole (I wonder why?) and Dustin Hoffman plays an excellent autistic man and proves why he's a good actor.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
While touching and effective, this is no classic. However both leads do well in what is undeniably high quality drama.
Rated 07 Apr 2008
Oh dear. I definitely gave this pity points. No doubt a re-watch will drop it a couple of tiers.
Rated 16 Apr 2008
Hoffman is fantastic. It's easy to see the awkward energy of Ben Braddock, but there's clearly a lot more going on here. He's cute, funny, and ultimately very touching. Oscar seems over-eager to hand out golden tickets to actors who play handicapped characters when the nods are unworthy. Not here, not this one. I thought I had the plot pegged half-way through, but all does not turn out as planned, and I liked the movie all the more for it. A feel-good classic, and with good reason.
Rated 12 May 2008
brother loves brother with autism.
Rated 29 May 2021
Tam bir Feel Good Movie. Dustin Hoffman döktürmüș. Duygulandım da ayrıca. İzleyin mutlaka bir defa.
Rated 27 Jan 2012
I give it 90, definitely 90.
Rated 18 Feb 2010
One of Dustin Hoffman's best performance
Rated 31 Jul 2009
It was a decent movie.
Rated 06 Jun 2008
i just realized something, serious movies with mentally ill people are sure bets, they almost always succeed. the plot, the acting...doesn't matter.
Rated 15 Jun 2008
Great
Rated 10 Jul 2008
Some funny and endearing moments, but is not nearly as powerful as others would have you believe. Tom Cruise's switch from prick to loving and caring brother just happens too quickly for it to be believable. However, Dustin Hoffman is excellent in this movie.
Rated 24 Aug 2015
24.8.15(+)
Rated 26 Dec 2011
Dustin Hoffman is incredible in this movie. Hoffman's performance carries the film. Cruise is also good here & Golino has a nice scene with Hoffman in the elevator.
Rated 26 Jul 2009
Uh huh
Rated 30 Sep 2008
Time After Time
Rated 05 Oct 2008
Maybe this movie is not accurate in medical or psychological terms but it nevertheless brought autism to the public, therefore aone it receives high credit from me. Besides, the dramatical acting of Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise is so good that the audience is gripped until the end. The great score by Hans Zimmer adds the rest.
Rated 30 Jul 2015
There are some touching moments, but honestly I was pretty bored especially during the first half or so. The acting is quite good and the second half is definitely, definitely better. In the end I am glad to have seen this film because the second half is good drama, but at the same time the first hour or so annoyed me quite a bit. Don't think I'll ever want to rewatch.
Rated 14 Dec 2011
nice, soft, good job!
Rated 20 Aug 2013
This classic failed to impress. The plot moved far too slowly.
Rated 29 Jun 2011
Gran peli gran..
Rated 30 Sep 2009
A great Story with an superb Cast !
Rated 26 Jan 2009
One of Hoffmans best. You must not miss this movie!
Rated 26 Jan 2009
This film hits you in the heart. And doesn't stop.
Rated 11 Feb 2009
Endearing story about brotherhood
Rated 06 Aug 2021
8?
Rated 11 Jun 2024
I think it's hard at first because it's many minutes of just a guy being whiny, selfish, and a dick to people around him. And while it is well acted, you still got to go through it at first before seeing a change.
Rated 12 Apr 2009
What a performance of Dustin Hoffman
Rated 16 Apr 2009
Dustin Hoffman does what he does best. A great but, in my opinion, not particularly memorable film.
Rated 20 Apr 2009
Hoffman tears UP this movie, one of the great performances.
Rated 13 Jan 2015
"The odd couple", Oscar winning edition.
Rated 16 Aug 2010
''I am an excellent driver''
Rated 02 Oct 2009
Yeah.
Rated 14 May 2009
Barry Levinson at his best!
Rated 09 Jun 2009
Way better than Forrest Gump, up there with Being There and Of Mice and Men. Even Cruise can't ruin this one for me.
Rated 27 Jun 2009
I really liked this one. Cruise wasn't weird yet.