Amazon Prime VideoAmazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store
Tubi TV
Pluto TV

1975
Sci-fi, Action
In a corporate controlled future, an ultra-violent sport known as Rollerball represents the world, and one of it's powerful athletes is out to defy those who want him out of the game. (imdb)
Franchise: Rollerball
Amazon Prime VideoAmazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store
Tubi TV
Pluto TV

I came for the hopefully chuckleworthy roller-violence and stayed for the low-key dystopia. Sure, the movie is slow and we're not really stimulated to get invested emotionally, but I actually enjoyed the simplicity of it all. Not showing how the 'common man' lives makes sense, since the protagonist is too entrenched himself. A brilliant detail to show how all-encompassing The Corporate World is in this setting: using only one (easily recognizable) font for everything. Great final minutes.
Skate-rugby is, contrary to popular belief, extremely serious business.
When the remake came out, I hadn't a clue that this existed, and when I watched it I didn't realize that it had a social statement to make at all. Upon watching this one the scales fell away from my eyes. Good sci-fi movie, alright message, but it's still a sports movie and can only be so good.
An underrated, ahead-of-its-time sci-fi actioner set in the 21st century. This exciting if overlong version of William Harrison's _The Rollerball Murders_ really needs to be seen on the big screen to be appreciated, but it's interesting to consider how this fictionally predated real-life TV shows like "American Gladiators".
I mean the scene where they keep lasering the trees was pretty good and it was funny how it kept waking up fellow criticker user Gnalkthere

Submitted bytheonionringTheOnionRing on 03 Apr 2006