Roma

Roma

1972

Rated 26 Oct 2009
This movie is pure perfection, so why not give it the highest score ?
Swirling, chaotic portrait of a decadent city in the 70s.
Rated 22 Aug 2011
The fashion show is genius.
Rated 19 Feb 2024
Mondo Fellini!
Rated 15 Dec 2015
Well, it's not the worst Fellini, at least, but that's not saying much. Fellini, and late Fellini in particular, just doesn't work for me, I don't share his sense of humour or his love of extravagance and so much of this film is just aimlessly reveling in those desires. There were a few decent scenes in the modern sections, and there are some great shots throughout, particularly the ending, but as a whole the film just doesn't do it for me.
Rated 01 Dec 2022
Another Fellini disappointment for me. While this wasn't nearly as annoying as I find some of his work, I found it a little boring. Strengths and weaknesses are similar to many Fellinis, with impeccable production design and a very competent camera being let down by most everything else. I'm not a Fellini fan, though--so keep that in mind. The Vatican fashion show is worth seeing, though. Really wish I got Fellini.
Rated 25 Jul 2021
Maybe not Fellini's most acclaimed film, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very rich visually. Some very humorous moments. The Vatican fashion show alone is worth the price of admission. Fine satire, if not exactly subtle, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Rated 20 Feb 2021
So many insane montages in this. Some incredibly freaky parts. I wish we had the full uncut church fashion show scene! Also I wish the film quality were better. I usually don't advocate for this kind of thing, but this film *really* benefits from adjusting your TV's contrast and sharpness settings a little, to darken the blacks, and make everything more dynamic, and less washed-out. (and I have the criterion fellini box set, so it's not just my copy. trust me just try it)
Rated 03 Feb 2021
This movie has a historical importance. And it will be much more important for centuries to come. And Anna Magnani in the end is pure sensitivity of Fellini.
Rated 03 Jan 2019
the scene with disappearing frescoes and the ecclesiastic fashion show how Fellini is beyond the politics of his era.
Rated 08 May 2018
"hikayesi eksik bir filmin damarlarindan biri kopmus demektir." -akjn. zamandan kesitlerle roma. karmasa-dinginlik, tarih-yenilik, vs gibi zit kavramları kamerayla islemis ama bu mozaiki isleyecek/izletecek ortada bi hikaye yok.
Rated 04 Jan 2018
Plotless, a cavalcade of flippant disregard for the traditional protocols of cinema and storytelling. A little grotesque, sometimes surreal, often absurd, and always amusing. It's evident that, at least in Fellini's world, irreverence and adoration are not mutually exclusive concepts.
Rated 08 Oct 2015
(Rewatched in March 21): Fellini's wild, free-form, impressionistic take on the historical city in the past and present works as memoir and meditation on time and space in the context of a sprawling, ever changing urban metropolis. The maestro stacks the deck with eye popping set design and impressive sequences, including an ecclesiastical fashion show that mocks the spectacle that is modern religion. Its disjointed by design, and some scenes are dated, but the vision is strong and clear.
Rated 17 May 2010
Fellini paints a picture of Rome that often grates on my nerves. I found some of the scenes very annoying. But I really liked other parts of the film. The "ecclesiastical fashion show" is a terrific gag. The traffic jam and the brothel scenes have their own marvelous moments as well. It took a while to take hold of me, but after about half an hour I just got into the groove of the free-form structure, taking in the sights and the cabaret of life... even if some of it was quite irritating.
Rated 26 Feb 2010
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 02 Dec 2011
#780
Rated 08 Jul 2014
A cross between a "city symphony" and a memoir. There is no plot, just a series of mesmerizing, powerful scenes and sequences. It's as fantastical, as mythical as Fellini Satyricon, but set in modern Rome instead of ancient.
Rated 12 Jul 2009
I don't know what I was thinking on first watch. This really isn't much at all.
Rated 18 Feb 2010
Essayistic Fellini film about Rome, contrasting WWII-era and the early 70s. Fellini has a great eye for faces --some of the most interesting mugs you'll ever see are here. Unfortunately, his impressionistic, plotless approach isn't compelling on the small screen.
Rated 02 Mar 2008