Romancing the Stone

Romancing the Stone

1984
Romance

Rated 29 Jan 2021
One in a long line of films that taught me that almost all relationships are based on mutual annoyance of each other.
Rated 22 Jul 2019
I would like to emphasize first how exquisite a bit of phrasing is "insects the size of sanitation trucks", second how rare it is for a movie like this to make you pause and take pleasure in the dialogue. There's certainly nothing as good in any Indy, nor as delightful as the way Zemeckis's wittier sense of cartoon timing complements Turner's wonderful, physical performance--her "WHAT?!" at the first gun, that "EAYEAGH!" as she drops from the swinging rope. Counterpoints of care and craft.
Rated 07 Jun 2012
I cant tell the difference between Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner in this sex scene.
Rated 10 Nov 2007
Indiana Jones for Housewives. Charming.
Rated 18 Feb 2020
Like a B Indiana Jones played straight. They should have leaned on the humor more. Didn't really show Colombia in a great light. Kathleen Turner was miscast since she has such a forceful personality elsewhere but ends up playing a damsel in distress here. Fav scene: a freakin' crocodile bites off the bad guy's arm and then Michael Douglas is hanging onto the crocodile's tail off the side of the castle.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
So cheesy, but it's all tongue in cheek. This movie knows how silly it is being, which allows for it all to be just for fun.
Michael Douglas doing his rendition of a sensitive Snake Pliskin. Ridiculously perfect in a wonderful way.
Rated 06 Jun 2008
Cheesy. But a good comedy adventure of 80s.
Rated 27 Oct 2012
Comes in a distant second after Indiana Jones' adventuring, but this one is altogether a different beast. I can't deny that I enjoyed this movie, but Turner's character was just not cutting it for me.
Rated 06 May 2011
Enjoyable, but really not a whole lot more than a simple rom-com adventure. Better than others, but nothing that new. Still, this brought us Robert Zemeckis, of which began his slew of classics.
Rated 28 Nov 2010
I remember my distaste for Eddie "Electric Avenue" Grant and his singing the theme song for this exercise in tropical asshattery, which tainted my viewing of it, initially, and then as the film unfolded, I realised that my negative bias was essentially superfluous, and that the inherent shittiness of this reconstituted Chewbacca's toejam soon revealed itself in all its challenged glory.
Rated 15 Aug 2007
Michael Douglas is not Harrison Ford, and Jack Colton is not Indiana Jones, but this film is definitely in that same vein of action adventure movies, maybe with a heavier romantic subplot. I enjoyed it for what it was, so I'd recommend if you're a fan of Indiana Jones or Crocodile Dundee type films.
Rated 21 Jun 2014
I was 9 when I saw this for the first time, and I thought Jack Colton was the coolest ever. After watching it again, I still do.
Rated 02 Oct 2014
not very special but fun to watch, Turner and Douglas are one of the best matching couples in movie history
Rated 28 Apr 2017
Never particularly inspired, but never dull either, "Romancing The Stone" is a highly enjoyable adventure film that has just the right amount of heart, schlock, and passion for it to remain as interesting and entertaining as the best of them.
Rated 04 Dec 2017
okay movie
Rated 19 Mar 2018
Romancing the Stone reaches back to the classic Saturday morning serials of old with an action-filled adventure enlivened by the sparkling chemistry between its well-matched leads.
Rated 29 Jan 2021
The film's pretty good. You could drive a bus through it's plot holes. (It's unclear why the Columbian police villain guy needs to misdirect Turner away from Cartagena when he can clearly take the map away from her whenever he chooses.) Still, both leads are very charming and have great chemistry and it glides by pretty effortlessly.
Rated 19 Feb 2007
Reasonable.
Rated 26 Sep 2009
Sappy romance, cheesy jokes and a grand adventure. Far from a great film but a really fun and enjoyable way to pass a couple of hours.
Rated 10 May 2010
Reasonable entertainment, but not much more.
Rated 04 Jul 2013
A silly little trifle of a movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. The chemistry between the two stars is good.
Rated 20 Jul 2010
A fun Indiana Jones ripoff, the ending is a bit lame.
Rated 03 Apr 2010
The sweaty Western action, for openers, is not everyone's mental image of a "romance novel" -- more suitable, one might think, for Spicy Western ca. 1937. (The accompanying strains of Alfred Newman's How the West Was Won awaken a thirst for something other than a spoof -- not to be slaked here.) Something, but not enough, and nothing at all complicated, is made of the relationship between the heroine's books and her "real-life" adventure.
Rated 17 Feb 2010
Juanita Wilder! A little bit cheesy, not a fan of the Kenny G mood music, and some unrealistic goofs. Also kinda suffers from a lack of development in the love story.. Despite all this I still found it fully enjoyable, fun, and worthy of many more viewings to come.
Rated 06 Nov 2010
"The message is clear: Love and protection comes with a white face and a big, black gun. His name is Michael Douglas." - Paul Schrodt
Rated 28 Apr 2011
A goofy, enjoyable action-rom-com romp that makes for a fine debut feature for one Robert Zemeckis, paving the way for greater things.
Rated 28 Jan 2010
old school funny
Rated 18 Dec 2009
Amusing piece of action adventure.
Rated 14 Jun 2011
This movie is entertaining.
Rated 20 Nov 2011
Utterly charming romantic adventure, probably the best of the mountain of INDIANA JONES knock-offs in the 80s. Solidified the careers and screen personas of the three leads (who are all equally delightful) and creates moments of genuine excitement and amusing comedy with its colorful supporting cast. Probably the last of the genuine romantic/comedy/thrillers, in the mold of CHARADE etc.
Rated 08 Mar 2012
Great lightweight fare. It's no Indiana Jones, but it'd be a disservice to call this nothing more than an Indy ripoff.
Rated 08 Mar 2012
Totally fun adventure comedy.
Rated 14 Jan 2013
Yes, it is like a worse Indiana Jones.
Rated 04 Feb 2013
Colombia, once the world's most dangerous country, has probably never looked more clean cut and Hollywoodised than it does in this Indiana-Jones-lite caper. These films often succeed or fail on the leads' chemistry: Douglas and Turner have some, but not buckets. The predictable script does them few favours. Moustachioed villains, car chases, buried treasure and duplicity all add up to a safe, formulaic thriller. Skip this and watch The Goonies if you're a kid, or Aguirre if you're a grown-up.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Lightweight 80's action fluff.
Rated 07 Oct 2013
Rated 27 Mar 2014
Passes the time. For a treasure hunting-romance story it was very much lacking in treasure hunting and romance, and the plot hangs together by a string of ridiculous coincidences. It's got some moments though that really deliver.
Rated 31 Dec 2015
I haven't seen it since it was in theatres, but I DO remember the adventure, hi-jinx and sexual tension.
Rated 21 Nov 2016
very cheesy but very funny
Rated 11 Feb 2017
B-
Rated 28 Oct 2017
Seen 2x
Rated 09 Jan 2022
This movie is a pure expression of my politics.
Rated 22 Aug 2022
I really went to Colombia just so I could go to Cartagena and stand on the water shaking my fist and yelling "Ira!!". I love this movie.
Rated 16 Jan 2023
I wanted to like it more but couldn't. It had it's moments, some of the humor landed, and the Douglas/Turner combo was good, but awkward action scenes and the thick layer of 80s cheese did it in.
Quite funny, like some scenes, acceptably romantic
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Fun movie.
Rated 23 Aug 2007
Good
A really funny romantic comedy.
A worthy investment of your time and what it lacks in freshness it more than makes up for in charm.
One of many, many Indiana Jones knock-offs, but it's a decent spot of harmless fun.
great action movie .. and great story line .. enjoyable
Love this movie - it's loads of fun.
Cute romantic comedy adventure. "Raiders" with more laughs is still just a poor copy of "Raiders". Still a good movie and worth seeing, if just for Danny DeVito.
I remember loving this movie as a kid, but sadly, I can't remember much about it. I still enjoy the majority of movies I liked when I was younger, so I bet it's pretty decent.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
very entertaining
Enjoyable lighthearted action that benefits from a likeable romance and a rather knowing approach to the genre.
Funny and amusing 80s adventure, with a nifty climax.
Love and high adventure, this Indy ripoff delivers popcorn fun.
Turner and Douglas are both alright in this, but it's essentially Indiana Jones Lite.
Rated 13 Jul 2007
Real cheesy. An 80s film that didn't age that well.
Rated 14 Jun 2007
I barely remember this in the back corner of my memory, but this is what I'm giving it.
Rated 04 Mar 2007
Tries just a little too hard to be Indiana Jones , and its just hard to buy Douglas in such a role.
Rated 30 Jan 2007
Lots of fun
Rated 17 Jan 2007
Tudo por uma esmeralda estreava há 40 anos no Brasil. Amava esse filme quando era criança, para o olhar de uma criança é uma aventura de primeira, não pode-se dizer o mesmo de um adulto. Veja bem, ainda seria uma aventura de primeira, o que o torna intolerável é toda a xenofobia e colonialismo presente nesse, ainda mais ofensivo do que a Índia de Temple of Doom. Sério, se eu fosse colombiana estaria remoendo rancor desse filme depois de 40 anos. Blu-ray Fox.
Rated 09 Nov 2008
typical 80s romance
Rated 18 Aug 2009
Micheal Douglas tries, but we all can see he's no Indiana Jones. Plus he's saddled with Danny DeVito.
Rated 16 Jan 2007
tryin to be iny
Rated 27 Jul 2009
x0
Rated 18 May 2009
Saturday Afternoon camp. Annoying lead woman. Lead male shaped around her.
Rated 02 May 2009
Nothing sensational but not an unpleasant way to spend 100 minutes. In other words, this is "The Librarian" of the '80s, and with decidedly less CGI.
Rated 13 Apr 2009
Nice
Rated 11 Mar 2009
boring...
Rated 23 Jan 2009
Good flick, tons of fun, tweaks the romance novel genre while embracing it. Quite enjoyable popcorn flick
Rated 15 Jan 2009
Crazy 80s adventures, I love that someone tried to compete against Indy.
Rated 28 Nov 2009
Great chemistry between the stars and loads of clever dialogue in this appealing adventure comedy.
Rated 17 Sep 2008
Vinder ved gensyn
Rated 28 Jul 2008
Classic.
Rated 02 Jun 2008
Quite good for a cheesy movie. Certainly inspired many youth to explore Latin America.
Rated 22 Mar 2008
Another fun, dumb 80's action comedy. That's kinda what they did back then.
Rated 26 Jan 2008
Just plain fun.
Rated 13 Jan 2008
Light and breezy romantic comedy with subtle undertones of Indiana Jones. The plot isn't wonderful but its harmless fun.
Rated 30 Nov 2007