Romeo + Juliet

Romeo + Juliet

1996
Romance

Rated 23 Feb 2021
I am going to bombard these people with garish campy visuals they’ll think they know what is going on. A bunch of idiot peasants crammed into the Globe theatre pretending like they can follow any of this dialogue but maybe they’ll see a boob, nothing has changed in 400+ years.
Rated 29 Nov 2014
Kinda loses some steam towards the end, especially once you've become acclimated to the gaudy style, but damn, it's such a cool idea carried off with unwavering commitment.
Rated 15 Aug 2018
Well, it's definitely unique - I can't think of another Shakespeare adaptation more obsessed with making itself "hip" and "relevant" to the young'uns. It's full of the same excessive glitz-n-glam style as Luhrmann's later "Moulin Rouge!", but not as effective. Not a terrible movie, but hardly a rousing success.
I'll chalk this one up as a failure. Tis movie would have benefitted a lot more and been less cheesy if they had just kept the original setting and time period. It's still a good way to introduce a new generation to Shakespeare, but just...ech.
Rated 20 Feb 2013
It's ridiculous. The greatest line of dialogue is when one of the characters asks for his broadsword and he gets handed a chrome shotgun. That entire piece of dialogue deserves the 20 points this film is being given by me. It's stupid. Stupid. STUPID. Stupid.
A fantastic movie if you don't take it seriously and you don't have a hardon about the "purity of shakespeare's work" or some such rubbish.
Rated 12 Aug 2015
It took Baz Luhrmann, the least dialed back guy I can think of, to get a performance out of John Leguizamo that didn't make it look like his head was going to explode from having too much energy.
Rated 17 May 2015
you dated shakespeare to the mid-90's, good job baz you crazy idiot.
Rated 24 Jul 2013
It's like when you mix all the fountain drinks into one cup.
Rated 27 Apr 2008
Dire Straits did it better, and much quicker.
Rated 12 Sep 2020
Many years since I last viewed this - during high school - and I don't remember much about it. But I do recall that it was a 'cool' viewing experience at the time.
Rated 13 Jun 2007
The whole movie is one big gimmick. Visually it's pretty good but otherwise it just doesn't work. There's no reason to transport Shakespearean dialogue into a 20th century setting, especially when the lines are delivered way too quickly. Romeo and Juliet already has problems with believability and changing the setting just makes everything seem absurd.
Rated 15 Apr 2021
The plus was a nice touch. Also, writing sword or whatever the fuck was on the side of the gun. I get that Luhrmann thinks we're all idiots and has to literally spell everything out for us, but then again, this is the dickhead who who did Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen), so you know, fuck that guy. Still, the 90s were great, huh?
Rated 31 Dec 2011
I cannot fault it for being unoriginal. Although the translation of Shakespeare to modern times is not wholly successful, it does hold one's attention and there is no doubting Luhrmann's eye for visual flair. DiCaprio and Danes are pleasant if not slightly underwhelming, and as previously stated, often have scenes stolen out from under them by the capable supporting cast.
Rated 19 Jul 2010
One of the greatest love storys ever told.... and this is by far my favorite adaptation.
Rated 06 Jul 2010
Yes, Leonardo DiCaprio was ridiculously handsome in this, but that is no reason to like the piss-poor waste of the 16 mm Bolex H16 Reflex.
Rated 16 Aug 2012
A pretty cool idea, I guess, and it's not terribly put together, I guess. But as a lover of Shakespeare I thought this was pretty damn stupid.
Good adaptation. Seethes with a life all its own.
Rated 26 Jan 2007
This isn't artsy, this isn't clever. This is combining our modern world with the language of Shakespeare's and that's just stupid. They should have modernized the original dialogue; instead we get this garbage that does not make any sense when both worlds mix. Maybe the writers forgot to mention that everyone in Shakespeare's time had made a time machine, came to 1996, adapted to the world and started using guns as swords... ONLY THEY NEVER GRASPED HOW TO SPEAK CORRECTLY!
Frenetic and cool adaptation of the classic love story.
Rated 15 Mar 2008
Modernising Shakespeare shouldn't be so hard to do. The themes of love, hate, rivalry, ill fortune, are as relevent now as they ever have been. But somehow, very few modernised versions really work for me. Often the dialogue seems ridiculous, or some other aspect has been mistreated. But this is a masterful work of stunning visuals, poignant music and above all, fantastic performances in the key roles. Magnificent.
Rated 27 Nov 2020
I was trying to think of adaptations that deserve to exist where I've both seen them and read the original and this is the only one I could think of for a long time; congratulations you sparkly delightful mess
Rated 05 Mar 2008
this offends my soul
Baz Luhrmann has an eye for lush visual composition, it has some amusing updates on the formula (i.e. the "sword" brand guns), much of the casting is solid (Harold Perrineau steals all his scenes), and it was written by Shakespeare. Not half bad.
Rated 05 Aug 2007
Dear The Cast Of Baz Luhrman's Romeo Juliet: "Shouting every other word" is not exactly the same as "emoting".
Rated 16 Dec 2006
Interesting idea, but it doesn't come together in a big way.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Liked it.
Rated 08 Aug 2009
A generally amusing update and modernized amendment of the eponymous classic. It's neat that Luhrmann took the play's normal dialogue and matched it up with our corresponding surroundings and world of today. My only complaint is the fact that when Dicaprio's name is mentioned, tweens and women everywhere start to wet their panties and immediately watch it again only to soil themselves once more. At least now Dicaprio is getting good roles. Anyway, decent.
Shakespeare would be rolling in his grave...if he actually had existed! Suck that, sophomore year lit prof!
Rated 23 Sep 2007
It's fucking awesome that this was ever as popular as it was. It gets extra points just for that.
Rated 21 Jul 2007
An interesting experiment that is... somewhat meh.
Rated 16 Oct 2013
This is how Shakespeare would've made R&J. Bullrush of stylish hyperemotion that elevates a story that is often dragged down by low energy tame renditions, to its true staggering emotive potential. Uniquely creative direction. Inspired use of story that mirrors perfectly this strange, passionate, dystopian, luminously catholic, Latino-Amero-Pacific themed setting. Baz fully leans into the extravagant overemotion of the script in all ways, and gives the lines the focus and respect they deserve.
Rated 18 Jan 2010
A true W.T.F? were they thinking saying their "thees" and "thous" while pumping gas into their catties.
Rated 09 Jul 2011
Most of these points are for Harol Perrineau being the best Mercutio. Because he really really is.
Rated 10 Jul 2012
Rated 04 Jan 2009
Love this version of Shakespeares number one! DiCaprio delivers an incredibly hard role faultlessly!
Rated 14 Dec 2009
Daring-- an dI thought they pulled it off.
Rated 17 May 2011
Rated 26 Jul 2015
Rated 22 Aug 2008
experimental approach to the play, with a mafiosi attitude and it worked.
Rated 22 Jun 2010
a modern take on one of the most famous couples of all time. It's an experience.
Rated 23 Jul 2011
"I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword ... eh, pistol." Either you update it, or you don't... but please not fifty-fifty
Rated 04 Sep 2011
Enjoyed this a lot more on the big screen upon rewatching.
Rated 04 Jun 2008
Interesting take on Shakespeare, though a fairly common topic in the 90s. Pretty awesome. If nothing else, DiCaprio delivers a grand slam of a performance in this flick.
Rated 05 Jul 2009
Real fans of Shakespeare (those who aren't purists, at least ) will enjoy this movie. I really appreciate all the clever "inside jokes" that tie the modern adaptation to the original story.
Rated 21 Dec 2012
All time love tragedy brought up to date with guns :-) Acting is superb, story telling by Shaky Bill timeless.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
I saw like 20 minutes of this, but it was enough. The dialog was ridiculous and two people in it had a little gun stand off, doing gun tricks, throwing guns in the air, flipping them around.
Rated 28 Jan 2024
This is a downright genius idea, shooting a Shakespearean classic in an LA Gangland setting while keeping the original text intact. Just for the gall to embark on such a project, Luhrmann deserves praise. Besides, it has a very strong soundtrack (I remember it defining the MTV clips that year) and he had some unreal scene designs and some perfect delivery. Perrineau and DiCaprio really deliver also; it is a difficult feat to pull so sometimes it loses momentum, but a nice experience overall.
Rated 18 Dec 2016
Never liked Shakespeare until this movie. Keeps you engaged and wanting to know what is going to happen next. I feel in love with Leonardo DiCaprio
Rated 24 Jun 2009
Why the fuck do people keep fucking with Shakespeare. Strangely enough I liked John Leguizamo's performance above all else.
Rated 04 Nov 2009
Malisima
Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet may not be the best film version made of Shakespeare's masterpiece, but it's certainly a refreshingly conceived departure from the norm. It's a mostly visual presentation of the Bard's literary masterpiece, but oh, what visuals!
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Lurhmann obviously feels that this, one of Shakespeare's greatest plays, did not work in the time period in which it was set. It works fine in this new setting, but why was this a necessary update?
Rated 13 Jun 2007
Definitely well done, although some people really hated this.
Ridiculous twaddle. Shakespeare is turning over in his grave.
Rated 20 Dec 2013
Rated 18 Mar 2022
Easily the best of Baz Luhrmann's films, helps that there's no obnoxious musical numbers.
Rated 30 Jan 2010
Genius to use Shakespearean with a modern setting.
Rated 17 Sep 2013
Superb. Both leads great but special mention to Harold Perrineau (also great in Blood & Wine). That guy should have been given more major roles and become a bigger star than he is.
Rated 13 Nov 2011
I've always hated that Romeo and Juliet was one of Shakespeare's most famous plays. Its shallow and really not all that great. Shakespeare had much better. Now somebody took his shit and made it shittier. If you want a modern adaption of Shakespeare that isn't a total abortion, watch 10 Things I Hate About You.
Rated 02 Jun 2013
I don't like all of Baz's work. This one is interesting, modern setting, but you know, same dialogue. Kind of crazy. But Michael from Lost was good.
Rated 15 Oct 2015
Very interesting and artistic.
Rated 15 May 2008
Remember how subversive this seemed?! Hot soundtrack du jour -- whatever happened to the Cardigans?
Shakespeare play performed by two dumb creeps who can't act.
Rated 12 Jul 2008
Their guns are called swords, I think.
Rated 05 Apr 2011
Aquarium scene OMG. Marry me Leo. That's it.
Rated 19 Jan 2013
The actors pull off their lines without difficulty. Luhrmann's slightly over the top, theatrical style lends itself well to the story. Great editing and use of music.
Rated 26 May 2012
Loved this movie growing up good acting and just cool guns instead off swords i mean cmon that is sick haha.
Rated 19 Jul 2009
I'm not sure how to rate this one. It's not good, but it's so ballsy in and of itself that I enjoyed it. Very strange film.
Rated 19 Aug 2015
Wiliiam Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, which featured Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio as the star-crossed lovers, came out in 1996. I reviewed this movie for The Loyola Greyhound. I gave it a negative review. I hated it. Sixteen years later, I now disagree with my original analysis of Baz Lurhman's flick, and wish to re-review it, or recant, if you will.
Rated 05 Feb 2008
I shouldn't enjoy this one but I do. It's not high art but the transition works and the photography is nice all-round.
Rated 01 May 2008
A ridiculous mockery of a beautiful play. They spun this movie around for the lower than average intelligence movie-goers who cannot understand stories that are more complex than being dichotomously black and white, good and evil. I will stop after saying that in the first scene involving the two families they transfered lines written by Shakespeare to be spoken by Capulets to the Montagues. It is *now* the Montagues who are the evil trouble makers. In the play, both families are bad at times.
Rated 03 Jun 2011
I really hated this movie. I like Leonardo DiCaprio, but I seriously lost a lot of respect for him because of this movie. Why did they think it necessary to keep the original dialogue of the play for a modern setting? The way the movie was filmed was goofy, and if felt more like a comedy than a romantic tragedy. Surely Shakespeare rolled over in his grave.
Rated 20 Nov 2011
Oversaturated
Rated 14 Feb 2011
Probably a movie for a certain time and place. If you were born in the 80s you were probably crushing pretty hard on either Leo DiCaprio or Claire Danes at the time, depending on your inclination. Love the world building more than the story. Perrineau and Leguizamo and the supporting cast are fantastic.
Rated 12 Sep 2022
People love this movie but I wasn't a fan, and normally I would love something as campy as this
Rated 29 Dec 2009
saw this in school, thought it was a pretty funny rendition of the book, and after reading the book this is an interesting movie to check out
Rated 20 Nov 2010
Great visuals, and many good performances. But the visuals can overpower the heart of the story, and extremely kitschy
Rated 29 Aug 2011
Not good
Rated 01 Sep 2007
stupid romance-flick, I hated DiCaprio then and I hate him now
Rated 20 Dec 2008
Shakespeare got totally raped in this movie.. The combination of the texts of one of the greatest writers ever with our modern world just isn't right.. Awfull is even an understatement.
Rated 12 Aug 2010
#00s(e)#, liked, rewatch(2) }*{ #90s#, reviews, story, Claire D.
Rated 17 May 2008
You can't fix bad Shakespearian acting by tacking on a modern day setting, this is simply a bad idea, although it is a very original idea. Whoever wrote this, decided it wasn't worth putting any time into the script so they just let it be.
Rated 05 Feb 2014
This was great. People seem to be saying it defiles Shakespeare's work or whatever, but the entire reason for their longevity is their versatility in adaptation. I'd rather see more stuff like this than a bunch of knock-offs of Burton or Olivier. John Leguizamo was robbed of Best Supporting Actor.
Rated 17 Apr 2013
Didn't work for me.
Rated 31 May 2007
Creative take on the classic story. Albeit a bit too far on the teen pop side, it's still worth a watch.
Rated 28 Apr 2016
Need to rewatch.
Rated 03 Jan 2013
Baz has a unique style, however it has not aged well IMO.
Rated 11 Aug 2009
Neat idea. Execution isn't quite as good. Claire Danes is a cutie pie.
Rated 13 Feb 2008
Ingenious. Even though there are some weaker moments, the whole concept is utterly brilliant and works much better than I expected.
Rated 20 May 2020
MTV Presents: SHAKESPEARE!
Rated 13 Nov 2008
nice concept but went a little overboard. the ending was kind of cheesy..
Rated 28 Jan 2010
This film has some issues that really annoyed me. All started like cheap comedy which was quite disturbing whilst knowing that this should be a tradegy. Fortunately that was only in the first half of the film. Poor performance by side roles. Soundtrack was sometimes fine with classical works, but then out of context comes pop/rock music. But I liked scenes, big ad posters, written in old English phrases and thanks to Shakespeare, the plot is great. Lovers rightfully die in the end.
Rated 15 Dec 2011
Baz Luhrmann doesn't really do subtlety.
Rated 15 Oct 2009
Incredible acting, imaginative cinematography, Wonderful uses of colors and editing. Great Movie.
Rated 25 Oct 2012
* Casting, Acting : 8 * Script : 10 * Directing, Aura : 7 * Ease of Viewing : 7 * Naked Eye : 8
Rated 11 Sep 2011
Well done, more suited to a teenage audience, but lovely and lyrical. Beautiful art direction.
Rated 04 Sep 2018
Rotten Tomatoes score is a 71%, BUT the Top Critics of RT gave it a 47%, possibly one of the oddest disparities in score. Instead of going full drama or full comedy, it goes down the middle. The odd and zany editing can be a bit headache inducing as well. My only praise is making a sword sound effect when people pulled out guns, that was mildly amusing.
Rated 15 Aug 2014
The one film that keeps me loving the insanely obnoxious Baz Luhrmann. Perfect cast, amazing musical interludes and you get to see DiCaprio at his best and teariest.
Rated 03 Jan 2013
A unique and quite interesting take on the story of Romeo and Juliet.