Safety Not Guaranteed

Safety Not Guaranteed

2012

Rated 27 Jun 2012
It writes thematic checks it can't really cash in its ending, but is still an enjoyable low-key indie sci-fi comedy experience. (Jeff Who Lives At Home is still my favorite Duplass-related project of the year, though.) Jake Johnson, who gives his character on Fox's New Girl arguably more depth than the show really deserves, is excellent, and Aubrey Plaza proves why after Parks and Rec is over she deserves to go on to a nice healthy big screen career.
Rated 12 Jan 2013
Finally, a quirky comedy about time travel that doesn't try to force-feed you a Whole Foods lactose-free dairy products aisle-inspired soundtrack filled with melancholy artists sporting metaphorically sound monikers. Great characters, great story, great ending. What Dick Vitale would call a trifecta if he were into quirky comedies about time travel instead of sweaty guys tossing balls into nets. If I was a creepy psychopath, I would totally stalk Aubrey Plaza. IF I was a creepy psychopath.
Rated 22 Nov 2012
ANTISOCIAL INDIE CHICK MEETS ANTISOCIAL GUY FOR UPBEAT CHARMING INDIE FLICK
Rated 28 Dec 2017
A unique and fun romantic comedy of the niche variety. It's not you're run of the mill, let's get in our jammies and eat some Ben and Jerry's watching this in the dark by yourself kind of movie--and thank god for that. It's got enough wry humor to entertain and keeps it's cards a little hidden. Duplass pulls off a guy with questionable mental stability a little too well for comfort, and after seeing "Creep" I'm beginning to think that it might not be an act.
Rated 20 Feb 2012
Based on an actual classified ad: "Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before." I'm surely and rapidly becoming a big fan of Mark Duplass's. Plaza and he is terrific together here and so is the script and the direction. It's a peculiar and genial film that I liked straightaway and by the awesome final scene completely loved.
Rated 15 Apr 2013
Unimaginative indie movie that plays things far too safe and never gets anywhere. They could've done a lot more with the stereotypic characters at least, but what you end up with is comedy and drama you've seen a dozen times before.
Rated 28 Mar 2013
It's a bit minor but it's a fairly original look at how people cling to their pasts and box themselves in. Plus I adore Aubrey Plaza so it has that going for it, which is nice. A pretty easygoing way to spend an hour and a half.
Rated 30 Jun 2012
My expectations might have been too high but I found this to lack a little something. The side plots felt too one-dimensional, the romantic angle didn't make much sense, and I don't like when a film that centers around negative people gets the happiest ending possible. It's still solid and many people will love it but it just didn't hit the right chords for me. The acting was the highlight, with Plaza, Duplass and Johnson showing their quality.
Rated 13 Oct 2012
Slow, and sometimes a little emo-y (Duplass seduces Aubrey by playing the zither, stuff like that), but pretty charming and ultimately much more emotionally potent than you'd expect. It's only tangentially about time travel; what it's mostly about is regret. Despite that, though, it ends on a surprisingly upbeat, hopeful note. Recommended.
Rated 23 Mar 2013
Formulaic mold painted "indie". Plaza can't act.
Rated 13 Jun 2013
Oddly sweet while still being rather funny, despite some very awkward pacing.
Rated 11 Jul 2015
A great story based on a real fake ad. Duplass was highly entertaining and Aubrey Plaza is almost at the top of the list of women I'd leave my wife for. Movie, therefore, really works, despite what was obviously a limited budget.
Rated 29 Oct 2012
The film was quite disappointing. Mostly because of the boring subplots and side characters. Overall, I'd say this is the equivalent of Twilight in the time travel genre.
Rated 29 Oct 2012
Very similar to Another Earth. From the very beginning you're trudging through the garbage waiting for something actually interesting the movie has promised, which will of course never happen. The characters are soulless caricatures and there isn't a scene in it that wouldn't fit right into any other awful "indie" script.
Rated 31 Jan 2013
So the film turned out to be not nearly as time-travelly or high-concept as I had been led to believe, but it was hard not to be charmed and amused by this sweet film full of surprises. Performances were decent but it was the script that stood out for its surreal line of humour and many unexpected changes of direction. It was also a movie with a heart, which took me back to my childhood; maybe not the epitome of comedy or romance, but possibly one of the most feelgood movies of 2012.
Rated 18 Feb 2013
Safety Not Guaranteed is a smartly scripted movie, film solid acting from it's young cast. Worth watching. Plaza's best leading performance so far.
Rated 24 Oct 2012
If I had to describe this movie in one word, it would be charming. It takes the typical independent film romance and breathes a fresh element into it, other than just overtly quirky. And for a movie based on a joke personals ad, I'd call it a win. Plus, when Mark Duplass is on screen, it's always a good time. The rest of the cast also help their own, including Jake Johnson.
Rated 21 Oct 2012
heartwarming and touchy little sci-fi comedy...Aubrey Plaza is great; she's playing almost the same role in Parks & Recreation...lovely end
Rated 24 Oct 2012
Flawed but short and easy to watch. Aubrey does a good job and keeps me anticipating her to be in that one great movie.
Rated 04 Dec 2013
don't like any of the characters, don't care what happens to them.. they and the writing are cheesy and cliche; no tension, no drama; the zither-in-the-woods scene sums up why I dislike this movie
Rated 13 Oct 2012
While it FEELS like many other indie movies of its type, there are a few things that put it above the generic films in the "genre," namely: The wonderful performance by Aubrey that brings a character to life in a subtle and affectionate way, and the backdrop of time travel. SNG does a good job of introducing plot elements (and sci-fi) at a good pace, making you guess what's going on right to the very end... where it leaves you with an unforgettable and heart-warming ending.
Rated 27 Oct 2014
Smart and eminently likeable; I have a lot of time for the wonderful cast, stacked full of indie and mumblecore talents.
Rated 26 Oct 2012
The third best movie I have seen from 2012. It's hard to describe why I loved it so much. I guess I could say that the writing was excellent. I laughed many times and felt very touched by how human the characters were in this film. Aubrey Plaza was amazing and so was Mark Duplass as the eccentric time traveler. I wish there were more movies made with such quality and care. All I can say is rent this, buy it or just do whatever you can to see it. It's totally worth it. Great, great film!
Rated 10 Nov 2012
I'm a sucker for these kinds of films. Offbeat charm - check, misunderstood melancholic social outcasts - check, a lightheartedness that belies its deeper emotional weight - check, great performances form underrated actors - check. But I do feel that the themes explored fall just short of taking full form. Also, the hurried anticlimactic ending is unsatisfying but everything else leading up to that point is really good.
Rated 13 Oct 2012
It's weird vibe clicked with my weird vibe.
Rated 22 Jan 2013
Dreck. Unfunny, uninteresting dreck. Not even the low caliber actors buy what this film is selling. Neither should you.
Rated 11 Jul 2014
Good Story :) Dziennikarz znajduje ogloszenie w gazecie, ze jakis gosc konstruuje wehikul czasu szuka takze kompana do podrozy... Polecam bardzo przyjemny film :)
Rated 25 Feb 2018
Top badass moment? I've been a bit lazy recently, but this movie has spurred me to get a move on with completing the building my own time machine. I guess when you're building one it's easy to use the excuse that you'll have all the time in the world when it's finished and instead waste it on other things. I really liked this film, loved the ending; think I'm a bit of a sucker for these modern indies. Dam their evil manipulation of my emotions! No cats, chainsaws or decapitations.
Rated 22 Mar 2013
It's so close to being good, mostly because of Duplass and Plaza's great acting and chemistry. What holds it back are the cliche indie touches, some subplots that make thematic but not emotional sense, and a general lack of forward drive. Good effort put in, it just needs some more polish.
Rated 15 Oct 2012
Judging by Darius' social life, I can't blame her for playing the game along and finding solace in Jeff's antics. As his motives prove deceitful, whatever charm they had going for themselves is completely nullified by the film's redundant ending as I was reminded of an early scene in which the paranoid schizophrenic lures an unsuspecting social outcast into the woods where they engage in gun training in preparation for their "time-travel mission"; But it's ok, because they like each other...
Rated 21 Jan 2013
Having the three starring roles be people from three American sitcoms I love probably helped a bit, yeah. But this is still a worthy watch - a fun, original premise that makes for a genuine, moving story. Loses points for being somewhat slight and having boring subplots but then gains some back for having the perfect ending.
Rated 19 Nov 2012
Charming and just goes from stride to stride. Cleverly covers a lot of subtle themes which is helped by the exceptional cast. Loved the ending.
Rated 18 Feb 2023
#23#, rw3, liked, story, cast, oldies(2) }*{ #12#, exp3, rw5, reviews, story, cast.
Rated 24 Nov 2013
Neither the characters nor the story are compelling or interesting. Acting was barely decent. I can't understand why it got such good reviews.
Rated 23 Feb 2013
Really good little movie. The big question looms large over the whole film and works as a great hook to pull you in to the story. Once you're there, the movie reveals itself to have great characterization. Very impressed by a director and screenwriter I've never heard of with few credits to their name. Also, I loved Duplass' hair and jean jacket...exactly how I'd expect that character to look.
Rated 03 Oct 2012
It's the latest in a stream of slightly quirky yet sombre indie romances, and it does it generally well. The characters are cute, the B-plot is pretty inconsequential, and the ending kind of retroactively ruins any complex explorations of themes. Yep, indie romances.
Rated 11 Sep 2017
6/6
Rated 05 Dec 2012
The best Duplass bros. film not made by the Duplass bros. Final scene is a refreshing change of pace from what you'd expect.
Rated 20 Feb 2014
If they had just cut all of the pointless romantic subplots and instead further developed the characters' other motivations, this would have been a much better film.
Rated 03 Oct 2013
It is hipster, obviously, but it works in most respects. The script is smart.
Rated 14 Oct 2012
Honestly, I was expecting it to be somewhere between an unexplainable time travel film(say Timecrimes) and a typical indie flick(say Juno). It happens to be completely on the Juno side, which is, considering huge potential(with the mysterious ad build up...) for some fun sci-fi action, kind of a waste. My expectations aside, it was quite a fun ride
Rated 21 Feb 2013
This movie was one awful subplot away from being pretty good... but then again it was one awful subplot away from being 55 minutes. Aubrey Plaza is the best part, and I don't actually mind Duplass in these roles. The closure that the film got couldn't have possibly been the best idea they had, right?
Rated 05 Sep 2013
Again, probably like this more because of Mark Duplass. A great little comedy about a man who may or may not be wackjob? Follows Aubrey Plaza playing the Aubrey Plaza character as she gets to know this guy who says he's built a time machine and wants someone to go with him. I enjoyed it.
Rated 10 Mar 2013
Isn't nearly as hilarious or charming as it wants to be. Feels like the middle fifty minutes has a lot of filler, which is bad when your movie is as short as this one. The characters never really break out of indie-movie types, even our supposedly crazy time-traveler. A twist in the last act threatens to recolor a central character, but that's ignored for an easy ending. There are a lot of great ideas presented here, but they'd need the work of a much better writer to see their potential.
Rated 13 Oct 2017
Rvw
Rated 15 Oct 2012
Who would have thought a rom-com sci-fi could turn out so well. You actually feel bad for Kenneth throughout the movie and want him to be the hero of the movie. Aubrey Plaza is great as always. Good comedy with an unexpected ending.
Rated 22 Jul 2012
Aubrey Plaza is the best part of this movie because she brings the script to life with her dry humor and subtle performance. While I wish the romantic elements weren't as prevalent, I won't deny that the main romance was developed in such a manner where it felt pretty organic. I just wish the subplots were either more developed or not there at all.
Rated 14 Oct 2012
Charming as hell, both due to Aubrey Plaza's slacker charisma and Mark Duplass' shlubby sincerity. Could have been a rote romantic comedy with a dash of sci-fi for flavor, but the charm makes it.
Rated 13 Nov 2012
I can see why a some people find this film a bit disjointed, that it doesn't know what kind of a film it wants to be. But for me the sub plots and side stories kept me entertained. I admit it occasionally loses its way but it soon grabs you back.
Rated 14 Apr 2013
Agreeably brief but not a whole lot else.
Rated 07 Jan 2013
Twee indie only works when the premise is treated with enough seriousness to actually suspend disbelief, which Safety Not Guaranteed manages to pull it off while still being light enough in places to acknowledge the ridiculous concept. Aubrey Plaza plays a version of Daria and struggles with the more dramatic material - as does everyone but Duplass who plays both "eccentric weirdo" and "severe mental health issues" equally well. Poor third act. Subplots boring but thematically consistent.
Rated 04 Jun 2020
I liked the concept but found the execution poorly paced and dull. The complete lack of chemistry between Plaza and Duplass rendered the central plot impossible to swallow, too. It felt like a stretched out anecdote, with thin subplots forced in to push it to feature length.
Rated 17 Jan 2013
Quirky all the way through to an unfortunately disappointing and rushed ending
Rated 04 Aug 2017
It probably has too many characters, its quirks and tangents nevertheless make it a good watch.
Rated 08 Apr 2015
God only knows how low this rating could go without the Aubrey-Plaza-as-herself effect.
Rated 19 Jan 2015
deals nicely with the ever present dilemma of missed opportunity and how different people handle it, but it's all a little too light-hearted and sparkly for my messed up tastes. especially whether or not the time travel is real should've been left up for debate, because that's when the meta levels got shredded, baby. still, aubrey plaza does an ok job by basically being herself, everyone else is fine, too. also, that scene when kenneth steals the lasers from the lab is pretty brilliant.
Rated 21 Jun 2012
One of those movies that starts off with humor and an interesting premise, but fades as it paints itself into a corner with filler and no worthy exit. Aubrey Plaza is the movies best asset, being the droll equivalent of Bill Murray.
Rated 01 Dec 2015
Safety Not Guaranteed is one of the most pleasing and unexpected surprises in recent years. I watched this film with no expectations whatsoever and I knew absolutely nothing about it. But I had an absolute blast. Aubrey Plaza gives her best Aubrey Plaza performance to date. She is a real talent and her dry humour and offbeat chemistry with Mark Duplass perfectly fits the tone of the whole film. Whilst Jake Johnson adds a different dosage of humour and his timing & delivery is spot on throughout.
Rated 01 Jul 2012
Indie Cliches: The Movie
Rated 17 Sep 2012
Look here to see something unlike you've experienced before.
Rated 10 Dec 2012
This is a home run for indie comedies that take a 'what if' premise and run with it. I had no idea where this film was going, but it was a genuinely sweet little number about life, love, regret, and time travel.
Rated 10 Mar 2013
Sweet little indie romance with an amateurish feel that I actually found gave it a sort of charming authenticity. I liked the ending too.
Rated 11 Nov 2012
All those Tier 8-10 ratings....how?
Rated 14 Nov 2012
I enjoyed it just as much the second time around, if not more.
Rated 19 Jun 2013
Went so well until the end, I don't know what type of an ending would've made me happy.. But this one didn't for some reason.. If the mission is now her, why go back at all? The subplots were just there to fill time, did not end up going anywhere, even though the old love story had potential, it was just left out to dry.. So, not boring at all, but left me unsatisfied.
Rated 22 Dec 2013
8- highly recommended, great :: Aubrey Plaza makes this worthwhile...
Rated 21 Jan 2013
It has a great premise and I really came to like both of the main characters. Unfortunately, the film also sees fit to spend time on cliched subplots for the bland and stereotypical side characters. The other thing that bothered me quite a bit is that the main plot had set up to explore some really interesting and more mature themes and then chickened out for the easier-to-swallow, crowd-pleaser ending. With stronger writing, this could have been something special.
Rated 16 Jul 2012
Safety Not Guaranteed will be a film I watch 20 years from now. It will be a film I take inspiration from, should I ever muster some courage. The acting is spectacular; the script was clever; and the soundtrack was charming. I do not expect you to think it is perfect, but if you are able to relate with Plaza's character and her melancholy, then you will understand the magic behind Safety Not Guaranteed. An instant favorite, for not many films made me feel this way.
Rated 15 Dec 2012
* Casting, Acting : 6 * Script : 7 * Directing, Aura : 7 * Ease of Viewing : 6 * Naked Eye : 6
Rated 06 Jan 2014
A strange, quirky, but fun little film. A little disappointed that Scarface's "Push It to the Limit" wasn't included in the soundtrack.
Rated 08 Dec 2012
It's interesting to notice how it develops both as love story and time travel adventure in such a low-key, restrained and skeptical tone, to then throw the cynicism away and embrace -- along with the characters -- the very absurdism of the plot -- and this ninja-spy-indie-scientist-singer-songwriter's plan to go back in time (spoiler alert) to reverse the friendzone that has driven him crazy.
Rated 01 Jul 2012
Safety Not Guaranteed is a harmless film that will pass the time just fine and remain in your mind for a good while afterward. It does the latter because it leaves a ton of unanswered questions and plot points that went nowhere. It is, however, sweet, funny, charming, and fun if you let it, and there are definitely worse things to give your time to.
Rated 04 Nov 2012
This is a well made independent film. The script has so me well wounded characters and the plot outcome is not predetermined like so many typical scripts. The cast have great chemistry with each other. I definitely recommend this original film.
Rated 10 Jul 2012
A time travel movie where the time travel element is the least interesting part, taking a backseat to stellar emotional drama. Duplass is great, and Aubrey Plaza can achieve so much without saying a word.
Rated 16 Mar 2013
The worst movie I've seen since The Expendables.
Rated 19 Jun 2014
It's not a groundbreaking film, but it was enjoyable. Pretty much everyone gives a good honest performance and really took hold of their characters. At it's peak, it's a heartfelt and funny at the same time all the while avoiding becoming too ridiculous or stupid, which is something that it could have easily done.
Rated 28 Oct 2015
Aubrey Plaza'yı seviyorum ya 😍
Rated 14 Jul 2023
Oddball indie spin on time travel concepts and ideas seems to build towards a climax that never quite arrives, though this could be a case of the bait-and-switch storytelling which posits the time-travel as its gimmick, but instead focuses on the burgeoning relationships within (and without) the central quartet. Perhaps a little too much going on at times, especially once focus shifts to Johnson’s relationship with Rajskub, but still an intriguing effort; would likely benefit from a rewatch.
Rated 27 Feb 2017
The unambiguous ending is refreshing
Rated 18 Nov 2012
Napolean Dynamite meets Back to the Future. I liked it a lot, and the only reason I didn't rate it higher is because it didn't have the sense of wonder that something like BttF had. Duplass and Plaza had really really good chemistry (it's hard enough to find something that Duplass *isn't* charming in), and I was surprised at how much I liked Jake Johnson. Definitely geared at a certain crowd, but a very fun movie.
Rated 18 Nov 2014
A romcom that didn't forget about the com.
Rated 30 Dec 2016
nothing to learn
Rated 02 Nov 2012
Who doesn't want to fix things from the past? We have all made mistakes, and we mostly move on one way or another. Some things cause us to pause, dwell and sometimes obsess with a desire to change something even though we can't. This thread is consistent throughout Safety Not Guaranteed, not only through the eyes of our unstable would be time traveler but the rest of the ensemble cast that gathers around him. Strange but sincere, this is one movie that formed an immediate lasting connection.
Rated 25 Sep 2020
A weird independent/romcom/sci-fi blend that was quite charming.
Rated 20 Jul 2013
Any movie dealing with time travel I'm in for but the guy who the movie was about was really crazy.
Rated 13 Apr 2013
You may have come in expecting a human exploration of concept of time travel. Au contraire, it's actually a hipster exploration of the concept of love. ...Oh wait, it WAS a human exploration of time travel? The main plot is solid, if a bit uneven, but the ending won me over, even if the rest of the film didn't earn it. Anyway, go see Eternal Sunshine if you still want a brilliant, artistic commentary on relationships via a science fiction plot device. Watch this for a pretty enjoyable time.
Rated 05 Mar 2015
Immensely likable indie comedy. A great story well executed.
Rated 08 Feb 2017
Smart script & story telling, low budgetly cool cast and ironicly charming story & directing. And bid OK for Audrey Plaza.
Rated 15 Apr 2016
One of those films that pops up in a suggestion box. You're like "why not?", and it turns out to be a very fun time.
Rated 28 Nov 2012
Aimless and not entertaining. The very definition of "blah," complete with characters you don't really care about and lazy humor with no bite.
Rated 12 Oct 2012
Ow, my feelings.
Rated 19 Oct 2012
It attempts to be both a romantic drama and a sci-fi comedy but can't seem to find a satisfactory middle ground between the two. The characters, likeable though they may be, are complete stereotypes -- worse, some even completely inconsequential -- and much of what makes these people interesting, and their stories poignant, is ruined by a very "safe" and compromised conclusion. A lame drama with a sci-fi coating lazily dressed over top of it.
Rated 20 Dec 2012
A fun genre-bending film.
Rated 14 Oct 2013
I really like romantic movies. This movie is one of the quirkiest love stories that I have seen. I really thought that the play between the actors was great. I was really surprised when the asshole magazine writer completely redeemed himself by the end of the movie. I was really happy where this movie left itself. I thought it was the only logical place to end a love story/science fiction movie.
Rated 09 Sep 2020
This really happened it was in all the papers.
Rated 21 Mar 2013
Surprised by this one. Not your typical comedy, but worked on many levels for me. Each character gets some attention which was a good thing for me.
Rated 29 Jan 2013
It's okay, I guess. It mostly works for me because I like Aubrey Plaza so much and Mark Duplass is solid in it. But the writing is weak and the ending is pretty terrible.
Rated 06 Jan 2013
There's no reason why this sci-fi/rom-com mash up should be good--obvious plotting, silly effects, and a general goofiness to the whole thing. However, in light of its impossible-to-guess conclusion as the end point in a sequence of relationship stories, the critique of common sexual practice outside of committed relationships resonates. That, and Aubrey Plaza's excellent turn in a pretty difficult role: having to convince an audience that she really did fall for Duplass' committed nonconformist
Rated 23 Sep 2013
What's not to love about this one? Good time had by all.
Rated 15 Oct 2012
It's very charming, and carried a lot more emotional weight than I expected, but it isn't different enough from the typical indie dramadies that have been coming out the last few years to be notable. Aubrey Plaza is a good actor, but her character is by far the least interesting in the film. Also, I was expecting more time travel.