Criterion Channel

1962
Crime
In 1950, 28-year-old outlaw Salvatore Giuliano is found gunned down in a Sicilian courtyard. Little is as it seems.

1962
Crime

Rated 26 Apr 2008
An interesting story, told with some exceptional camerawork. Some of it is really exciting. However, much of it is quite confusing. Surprisingly, the disjointed timeline didn't pose much of a problem, but there are too many characters to keep track of, episodes happening too quickly, and fuzzy, convoluted political elements. I was frequently unclear about what was happening or why. I couldn't find an emotional center, and usually felt somewhat distant from the events unfolding onscreen.
Rated 25 Feb 2009
I dug the fresh, realistic style, and the camerawork and composition were usually pretty exciting. But the story itself is muddled and obscure, and as a result it never never really delivers the sharp political punch that the similar film Battle of Algiers does.
Rated 01 Sep 2010
Excellent neorealist film about the MIS, Sicilian separatists stirring up civil conflict after WWII, and the bandit Salvatore Giuliano who was its Emiliano Zapata. I sensed traces of Pepe le Moko here as well as Wajda, but it is most closely akin to the later, better-known and slightly inferior The Battle of Algiers. Probably an inspiration, Salvatore is also a highly polyphonous civil uprising movie. Daringly and cunningly, it avoids featuring its namesake. The main character is only spoken of.
Rated 08 Apr 2024
With only a general understanding of what is happening and what it means historically, most of my enjoyment came from the tense, expertly visualized set pieces, of which there are plenty. The way the camera moves is electric at times. Comparable to Battle of Algiers or Z in terms of blood-boiling political thrillers of this era.
Rated 24 Jun 2023
"Sicily, wake up. Your shameful slumber has lasted too long. While you've slept, all has been lost, even your honour. Now the trumpets ring loud and you must no longer sleep because sleep would mean death. White roses of Sicily, you'll be stained red with our blood. But our sons and our sons' sons will live in a free land and will lift their gaze to the heavens and smile at the future." These powerful pictures match those poetic words. But I still say that Italian neo-realism is a bit too much.
Rated 01 May 2016
Rosi approaches this like Lang might turning history into a procedural. Compassion and empathising can be hard in broad strokes versions of the story, so Rosi consistently starts big then closes in more and more before opening up again to bring us to the next stop. Very glad to have picked this up. It has nits to be picked but overall works so well it's tough to care about the occasional overblown performance or whatever. -a113er, https://redd.it/4h95dc
Rated 19 Aug 2009
Really well shot and the underlying story seemed interesting to me, but I couldn't understand enough of it to really be satisfied. The timeline switching was bearable, but the confusion caused by trying to piece together exactly who was who and did what took its toll. While it does seem to be intentional, given the mystery regarding the actual events surrounding Giuliano's death, there's a difference between not knowing which version is true and not knowing what the versions are.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
# 275
Rated 28 Oct 2013
This is a great film, very unconventional in its approach, but hampered somewhat by the assertion of a political conspiracy. Giuliano may have been a pawn in the hands of the powerful, but that does not preclude the fact that he might himself have thought killing leftists was a good idea. I would have given it a much higher score if it had at least entertained the notion that Giuliano was not much more than a gangster who was useful for a time to Sicily's power brokers.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 31 Oct 2012
Rated 14 Feb 2008
Franceso Rosi unravels the mistery surrounding the death of Salvatore Giuliano the way a historian would. It works almost perfectly, with some minor exceptions towards the end (could have just been the copy I was watching, I'm not clear on that). Also, I was very impressed by the cinematography.
Rated 27 Jul 2014
Tremenda estrutura narrativa!
Rated 13 Jan 2010
Rated 30 Nov 2011
#309
Rated 11 Nov 2010
could find nothing likable about it.