1993
War
Steven Spielberg's epic drama tells the compelling true story of German businessman Oskar Schindler (Neeson) who comes to Nazi-occupied Poland looking for economic prosperity and leaves as a savior. (History in Film)

1993
War

Rated 26 May 2008
The movie is completely black and white, and I'm not talking simply about the lack of visual colour. In Spielberg's typical fashion, the badguys are unmitigatedly evil, and the goodguys noble, clever and enduring beyond belief. This kind of "You're with us or you're Satan"-thinking is as reprehensible as it is dangerous. Moralising becomes devoid of reality; the issue isn't that German camp commanders were demons, the problem is that normal people commited atrocities in those circumstances.
Rated 11 Mar 2007
Emotionally manipulative, but still a well made film.
Rated 02 Nov 2016
You'll find Schindler's List on this critic's best of '93 list!
Rated 08 Sep 2011
Only reason I give this movie a 10 is because it is well made, but it is incredibly boring unless you like war movies. I don't.
Rated 12 Aug 2012
Complete garbage, ideologically, stylistically and content-wise. Disgusting.
Rated 05 Feb 2018
Despite all the awards of this movie, my personal distaste for the very plot is too big. Watching helpless people waiting in fear to be taken away and murdered today - or tomorrow - or the day after tomorrow - or-I-don't-know-when (a penny's worth of fabula, a pound's worth of suspense!) without (this is very important!) not being able to make a sh*t about it... Dark pages of WWII shouldn't be forgotten - but it doesn't mean we must savour them. And yes - Jewish suffering is cliche.
Rated 11 Jan 2009
I've only watched this movie once. Once was enough. Not just because of the brutality, but because Spielberg did an amazing job as an artist conveying true emotion through film. Amazing direction. Unforgettable not only because of content. And considering the content, that's a huge accomplishment.
Rated 23 May 2019
'Schindler's List' is the greatest depiction of the sheer horror and suffering within WWII. It doesn't shy away from the monstrosities of the Nazis and yet it still shocks every time. Each actor wonderfully portrays their character. Fiennes is a great villain and Neeson gives one of his best performances ever.
Rated 30 Apr 2020
A beautiful black and white masterpiece. Spielberg's haunting story of a European factory owner during the rise of the Nazis, who realizes that the Nazis are hell-bent on the worst evil, and helps hundreds of Jews escape certain death.
Rated 11 Dec 2006
Catching your emotions in your throat..... beautifully crafted and well told this story of the struggles of people. I was in awe the entire film. There are slow moments but the impact the film makes over all is well worth the time spent.
Rated 04 Feb 2024
Beautiful movie
Rated 04 Jan 2009
unbielievable.
Rated 12 Jun 2011
Really good.
Rated 28 Dec 2007
Absolutely incredible from start to finish.
Rated 25 Jul 2007
I won't repeat what everyone else has written for the last 14 years.
Rated 01 Dec 2009
A very emotional film dealing very difficult topic of the concentration camps of the Nazis. Oscar Schindler was a true figure who saved jews from concentration camps risking his own life in the process. Spielbergs sentimental approach suites this film brilliantly.
Rated 06 Jul 2010
An incredibly powerful and memorable film that is almost flawless. Easily the greatest film directed by Spielberg and one of the most truthful recollections of the holocaust in cinema history. Ralph Fiennes delievers the performance of his career and Liam Neeson shows just how great his acting can be.
Rated 22 Jan 2010
A inspiring and beatiful movie. Oskar Schindler is one of the best heroes of cinema history.
Rated 14 Apr 2022
If you are going to make WW2 films, try not to be revisionist, and especially avoid the overly sentimental stuff that reminds me of Soviet propaganda films during the Cold War. This film is straight propaganda and unconvincing as a result, which interrupted any enjoyment I might have had of an uplifting story of human compassion.
Rated 30 Oct 2011
This movie is considered to be one of the best dramas. I agree. But the fact that it's based on a true story moves me even more.
Rated 19 Nov 2011
Excellent movie and brilliant performances.
Rated 06 Apr 2014
it's worth giving your 195 minutes, just for the 10-15 seconds of shower scene. i think that is the zenith of excitement!
Rated 11 Nov 2008
How do you not give this movie an awesome rating. The guilt alone would kill you.
Rated 30 Apr 2009
Dramatic because it was true. Smart Spielberg making it more dramatic in black and white. "Shoa" in pure state.
Rated 15 Sep 2022
Cried the whole time basically
Rated 16 Dec 2017
neat flick, the soft speaking and chill music that takes up most of the movie make me fall asleep and I feel pretty bad about it when I wake up.
Rated 02 Mar 2008
This movie should be required viewing for entrance into the human race.
Rated 23 Feb 2007
my favorite drama movie
Rated 22 Jun 2007
Classic.
Rated 30 Jun 2008
I normally would not be interested in this subject, but that is the power and magic of great storytelling ain't it? Still uncomfortable to watch and sort of sad and depressing. Black and white. What? Budget cuts? Ha ha... kidding. This needs some lighter moments.
Rated 17 Aug 2021
Rated 31 Jan 2020
Real epic movie indeed. But has a subjectif perspectif in the story of Schindler as a Businesman. Does not reflects all historical facts but it is a movie which dont have that kind of claim. Beside all it is a great movie which shows you the conditions of its term.
Rated 20 Sep 2007
A truly incredible movie about a difficult subject (difficult to make good films about). Great imagery. Just incredible.
Rated 29 Dec 2013
The reason for this film being a must-see isn't that it is exciting, thrilling or entertaining, because it is none of those. It is historically important, moving and carries a strong message and that is why you must see it.
Rated 18 Aug 2009
Wow. Just wow.
Rated 01 Nov 2021
This movie literally made me cry. My empathy and emotions were at their peak. It's such an emotional movie. It's a bit gruesome and shocking too.
Rated 24 Nov 2012
Steven Speilberg creates a masterpiece that may very well be considered as one of the greatest films every made. You are transported into that era and you remain there for a while after watching this movie too. Tears, oh yes, tears.
Rated 06 Dec 2007
This film has everything, its an intensly emotional film that should touch every ones heart... if it doesnt your soul-less
Rated 01 May 2009
Not sure about this one.
Rated 28 Aug 2008
Harrowing, elegant, unforgettable. If you can survive the experience, you should watch it for its lesson.
Rated 29 Jul 2010
Powerful, awesome film.
DO NOT WATCH WHILE IN A SAD MOOD!!
Rated 19 Aug 2007
Should be required viewing in schools today. Never forget those who were victimized by the Nazi regime.
Rated 05 Mar 2008
One of the few movies that Spielberg doesn't attempt to ruin
Rated 03 Oct 2008
dur hurp, hilarious movie
Rated 28 Nov 2021
One of the best ever
Rated 13 Mar 2009
Many people say this is a tough movie to watch, but it is certainly worth watching. Not to be missed!
Rated 15 Nov 2008
An astounding movie with beautiful scenes.
Rated 03 Nov 2009
yep
Rated 11 May 2012
Schindler's List is not only the greatest holocaust film ever made, its by far one of the greatest film in the history of cinema, and my 7th favorite film ever made.
Rated 28 Mar 2010
Magnificent
Rated 04 Oct 2008
Heart wrenching true story with the great Liam Neeson. Films like this should be shown in schools to help prevent discrimination and hatred of those from different cultures, religions, etc from happening now and in the future.
Rated 07 Sep 2007
Great execution, but departure from fact makes it gory sionist propaganda. May you rot in hell next to Hitler, Spielberg.
Rated 25 Jan 2010
It was great. The use of black and white with splashes of color was inspired. The story of Oscar Schindler is portrayed beautifully by Liam Neeson
Rated 10 Apr 2017
Moving film. Great performances. Great soundtrack.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
A masterpiece!
Rated 14 Mar 2010
Spectacular representation of the horrors of WWII
Rated 09 Apr 2009
I gave it a 99 coz no movie is perfect,though this movie gives a perfect example of how a movie should be made..
Rated 11 Dec 2011
Schindler's List blends the abject horror of the Holocaust with Steven Spielberg's signature tender humanism to create the director's dramatic masterpiece.
Rated 24 Oct 2022
so impressive, and incredubly sad. the best use of color ive ever seen in a film.
Rated 04 Jul 2008
Worthy of each Oscar it won, this film stands as a reminder that we must never forget....
Rated 18 Aug 2007
It's Schindler's list, come on.
Rated 04 Jan 2012
I think the girl in the red coat is one of the most unsettling images in cinema. A very well made/well acted film. Ralph Fiennes is truly scary.
Rated 09 Aug 2008
A brutal depiction of the Nazi's heinous acts towards the Jewish in WWII: following the liquidation of the ghetto, the unspeakable war crimes and the unremorseful killing and burning of hundreds of thousands of innocent Jews. Spielberg most personal film ever, whereupon the viewer fells he is vicariously suffering for all the lost and dead. Oskar Schindler shows, that during times of absolute evil, there is still good; and a sense of hopefulness can still be found surronding total despair.
Rated 30 Apr 2023
Just edging out Interstellar
Rated 05 Feb 2015
I'm still not sure how I feel about seeing such an inspiring tale of hope when 6,000,000 people died. The Holocaust is a tricky subject to tackle though, and perhaps works like Schindler's List are a better way to get a sense of what happened rather than just spouting facts and figures.
Rated 01 Jan 2011
What is surprising is how well Spielberg captures the horror, moving his camera with the fury of a combat photographer on the run.
Rated 22 Jul 2010
one of the best holocaust films
Rated 11 Mar 2008
This is perfect.
Rated 09 Apr 2010
Very upsetting but thought-provoking film shot beautifully and with care.
Rated 02 Jun 2007
Based on a true story and a Spielberg masterpiece. Shot in monochrome so as to stimulate the mind. A reminder that good can prevail over evil.
What is there left to say about this movie, really? It's a "document" first and a "film" second, right down to the end credits (where the survivors of the greatest atrocity lay stones on the grave of the hero); in that respect, it is unparallelled, and in the "film" aspect, it is still a masterpiece. I'm not saying I'll watch it on a lazy Saturday night, but it is a fantastic achievement for Spielberg.
Rated 10 Jan 2011
I can never forget the sequence where Schindler was crying and saying that he could save more persons.
Rated 16 Apr 2023
Schindler's List is a powerful and essential movie that captures the atrocities of the Holocaust. It tells the true story of Oskar Schindler, a German businessman who saved over 1,100 Jewish refugees during World War II. The film's portrayal of the Holocaust is a reminder of the dangers of bigotry and intolerance, and it honors the memory of those who lost their lives. Schindler's List is a masterpiece of filmmaking, and its message of hope and humanity in the face of adversity.
Rated 04 Sep 2011
Ugh.
Rated 18 Nov 2010
This film speaks out strong messages about crimes against humanity so powerful that it simply is too heartbreaking for the eyes, mind, and above all the soul of the human body. However its subliminal message it gives is that hope and salvation can survive through intense suffering. I have to say God bless Steven Spielberg for his directorial debut and charity to the survivors of the holocaust. One of my top favorite Oscar winning films.
Rated 11 Sep 2013
It's nice to see Spielberg turn his talents to a serious subject.
Rated 12 Apr 2011
perfect movie that truly moves. great performances and really bold step by Spielberg to make it in b & w and 3 hours long. brilllllianttttt. best ww2 movie ever
Rated 07 Jun 2010
Very good.
Rated 11 Apr 2009
Everyone should watch this movie.....
Rated 05 Apr 2009
Great Ralph Fiennes's best with wuthering heights
Rated 13 May 2013
Hauntingly beautiful. The most terrifyingly accurate depiction of the horrors of the Shoah could be done by no man other the Steven Spielberg. This movie was an event and a milestone in cinema.
Rated 09 Feb 2009
also another war moviewhich was a true story, it was immensely a great movie
Rated 08 Sep 2012
This is what I call deep drama.
Rated 28 Apr 2011
sure its a great movie, but when are you ever in the mood to watch it?
Rated 07 Feb 2022
There is little justification for this not receiving a 100.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
amazing. A must for older teens who need to know about people of character. More family reviews at www.commonsensemedia.org
Rated 18 Mar 2008
Sensitive subject well exposed
Rated 04 Aug 2010
A true classic film. Beautifully shot and wonderfully acted. Can be very disturbing at times though.
Rated 25 Mar 2012
I found this movie a little hard to follow.
Rated 01 Jul 2009
Anyone who gives it anything less you may want to check their background on film watching. We are blown away with another chilling tale about the Holocaust that may just hit to close to home for some of us. I hesitate not giving it 100, but in my mind it may be difficult to ever find a movie that is worth 100. Ralph Fiennes is amazing, Liam Neeson spectacular. This movie has a little bit of everything and should have you in tears by the end. Fyi I'm not Jewish, the Holocaust was real.
Rated 20 Aug 2007
Moving. Educational. Everyone should watch it once, but not twice.
Rated 24 Feb 2013
The world would be a better place if every child on the earth was made to watch this film. In fact every adult should too, it's that great a film. Spielberg has managed to make such a horrific subject, visually stunning and extremely thought provoking. I watched this for the 2nd time with the Mrs and she was in tears and I was fighting to hold them back. Was going to give this 9.5 as it's not exactly the most lovely of films to watch but it has to be a 10 because it's such a great film 10/10