2001
An asbestos abatement crew wins the bid for an abandoned insane asylum. What should be a straightforward, if rather rushed, job, is complicated by the personal histories of the crew. Things get more complicated as would-be lawyer Mike plays the tapes from a former patient with multiple personalities, including the mysterious Simon who does not appear until Session 9, and as Hank disappears after finding some old coins. (imdb)

2001

Rated 31 Jul 2023
The writing, acting, and directing are all very strong for this kind of film, though it wasn't nearly as creepy as I'd been led to believe by some of its superfans. Like many post-Sixth Sense horror movies, this one feels the need to throw in a twist ending, but it more or less works. I would have liked a stronger thematic connection between the past and present storylines.
Rated 31 May 2007
Not without its flaws, but I enjoyed the fact that it's so much more than what it seems like on the surface. The film's location is incredible, and the lighting and direction are solid also.
Rated 10 Oct 2010
Underrated thriller/horror film. Some will say boring, some will say it takes its time plotting the course and setting mood.
Rated 27 Jan 2007
An exercise in wasted opportunity. The script is dreadful: for the first 30 minutes, "EXPOSITION" ought to be flashing on the screen. The actors are subpar, though perhaps I should cut them some slack for having to work with such bad material. The real crime is the disappointing lack of suspense or dread. With a dilapidated insane asylum to work with, they had creepiness handed to them on the silver platter. It's a shame they didn't exploit it to its full potential.
Rated 08 Feb 2012
Dreadful. I mean it is full of dread. There was a scene in this movie, that as I sat in my friends living room in total darkness, I thought, "This is so scary, it's going to change me. I won't be the same after this." It didn't live up to that by a longshot, but it had me there for a bit, and that sort of thrill doesn't come often.
Rated 31 Jul 2010
A little slow for the first half or so, where it pretty much leaves you asking what the film's actually about. Then it gets pretty good, always a little spooky (those insane asylums always are), also a little confusing, but overall quite alright.
Rated 05 Jan 2014
Effectively builds tension early and then does absolutely nothing with it.
Rated 06 Dec 2011
That recording is Damn creepy
Rated 20 Aug 2009
Fantastic story; maybe a little slow for some, it does spend a lot of time developing characters and building tension; there is not a lot of action until the end, where it unloads like a breaking dam. *Possible Spoiler* I totally had this pegged as a ghost movie, and the movie did nothing to correct that idea until the very end, and the ending even made sense; endings that you don't see coming a mile away and still make sense are getting pretty rare in horror.
Rated 26 Oct 2020
A team of four asbestos removers bring both their equipment and psychological baggage to the creepy, abandoned Danvers State Hospital, planning to work for a week, though we all know they'll be there for much... much... longer. Psychologically twisty and atmospheric, with uniformly excellent performances.
Rated 06 Apr 2012
A quiet, creepy horror that sneaks up on you. Has some incredible photography in it.
Rated 26 Dec 2012
I was underwhelmed when I watched it many years back, but a second watch left me pretty damn impressed. Despite the fact that so much is made overtly explicit, there's also a good amount of thoughtful subtlety underpinning this flick. To wit, note the connection between Simon and Peter. Is it a Biblical reference to Simon the Sorceror, the man who attempted to buy his way into the apostles and came into direct conflict with Peter? Is he connected to the stash of coins and the greed of "simony"?
Rated 06 Jan 2010
This proves that movies can scare the crap out of you without actually showing anything scary. Session 9 uses lures us into its atmosphere with its eerie mood. Before we know it, we're scared to death and we don't even know why. The sign of a well crafted horror film.
Rated 09 Nov 2012
I really enjoyed this! The story and build-up are very well done and the ending makes it worth the entire wait. Completely underrated.
Rated 10 Apr 2007
Recommended to me as "trippy clever atmospheric psychological horror", something that should be right up my alley, this film was a big disappointment. The script is nothing more than a lukewarm rehash of other genuinely original surreal horror twists, and ultimately infuriating with the way it wastes a perfectly creepy and intriguing setting. Also, I just can't seem to be able to take David Caruso seriously, no matter how hard I try.
Rated 24 Jan 2010
It isn't scary (although one claustrophobic scene was surprisingly good compared to the dullness of everything before it) and the characters are boring. This was just an average movie that is watchable but nothing worth thinking about once it's done.
Rated 26 Apr 2007
Session 9 has all the makings of something great behind it, it's just that its low budget and mix of good and average actors holds it back considerably. The story in and of itself is excellent and so is the great setting. A mental asylum with a rich history of the bizarre and a strong mix of characters keep it interesting, it's just never fully realized in the final product.
Rated 04 Mar 2010
this is a weird movie. it seems to want to be about multiple personality disorder, but most of the plot and dialogue is about the dangers of being an asbestos worker. it's visually pretty nice, but the story is very dull, and seems to think it's smarter than it is.
Rated 24 Jan 2009
A low-key, creepy little movie. Director Brad Anderson would later refine and arguably perfect the sort of chronic uneasiness on display here in his follow-up The Machinist.
Rated 13 May 2014
Had potential. The shots and setting were good, the vibe was there, and then the script was a letdown. Execution wise the film doesn't pass, but it's so strong in potential that the final product is okay. Not great, but okay.
Rated 13 Sep 2012
Caruso's "Hey! Fuck youuuu...." scene got a laugh out of me, at least. The movie's pretty straightforward until the twist, but the most horrific thing here is how much asbestos these guys inhaled.
Rated 31 Jan 2011
Well-done horror movie that would have been better if it weren't for David Caruso's craptacular performance.
Rated 13 May 2011
I think what makes Session 9 so odd is that it keeps its very mystery as much a secret as it does its solution, eventually revealing both at once to the effect of great confusion and little satisfaction. It rather meanders until then, trying very hard to build dread and tension, mainly through scenes where expectedly jittery old tape recordings are played. The recordings are psychiatric interviews of a blatantly cliché and unrealistic caricature of a split personality, so they don't do the job.
Rated 29 Sep 2012
I've watched this a couple of times and it's not nearly as scary or cool as all the hype made it out to be. It's interesting and has a couple frightening scenes but it's all atmosphere and the "twist" is horrible. Waste of an awesome location and extremely cool and chilling setup.
Rated 17 Aug 2013
Undoubtably the scariest film I have ever seen.
Rated 24 May 2009
I'm not very much into horror movies but this delivers so much more than usual shaky cam and some desperate attempts to frighten you. The scenery is great from tension between characters and intelligent plot to the every last detail in directing and editing.
Rated 27 Oct 2015
This may not be a very good film, but it is a scary one. The asylum setting, the grimy cinematography and the off balance performances make this disorientingly creepy.
Rated 03 Apr 2008
I'm a horror film skeptic, but this was surprisingly good and atmospheric. Well-acted (yes, even by Caruso!) and naturalistic, but in the end doesn't entirely manage to tie the story together satisfyingly and it was seemingly not fully developed, or at least ellipsed.
Rated 20 Aug 2009
Now THIS is a true horror/suspense/thriller. Had me glue and sweating through the entire movie. The acting was great, and the plot, fantastic. If you like suspense/horror, def. check this out!
Rated 08 Oct 2009
Brilliant location. Less brilliant everything else.
Rated 16 May 2018
If you got bored you can give it a try but do not expect quality.
Rated 22 Oct 2021
Wow, what a poorly written, directed, and acted disappointment this was.
Rated 22 Apr 2018
One of those movies that's real fun and tense as you're watching it, and then as the credits roll you realise the plot made no sense. The acting's good, especially in the first act, and it's interesting watching Anderson and Briesewitz grapple with early digital cameras, not always successfully. It's occasionally goofy, but worth watching.
Rated 02 Jun 2008
All I remember is it's not too hot, and since that's less than a decade ago, and I can remember intricate details of "The Temple of Doom", that means this movie is easily forgettable.
Rated 09 Dec 2012
I wanted to hate this movie a lot more than I did. Very memorable, but that's probably because I thought it was more funny than scary.
Rated 03 Aug 2020
The movie was pretty good up until the very end. Then it wasn't so good anymore.
Rated 09 Dec 2012
DO IT GORDON
Rated 03 Jul 2017
A
Rated 17 Nov 2013
It is a shame that a film like this that builds up a decent amount of tension and paranoia can't deliver a solid or straightforward narrative.
Rated 27 Jul 2018
b-movie. such a waste...1h without even cheap thrills. ...i assume smth will happen in the last 35min but i dont expect much.
Rated 09 Sep 2007
Rented it thinking it would be pretty bad but I can honestly say I was quite impressed with aspects of the film. The setting is fantastic, the overall mood of the film is more subtle than you have modern films (which I appreciate) and it relies on psychological scares rather than unrelenting gore for frights. David Caruso provides a good performance as well that I think is worthy of note. However, the film does have it's flaws (namely odd editing with screaming randomly throughout).
Rated 04 Mar 2009
This movie was a great surprise - highly recommended.
So bad that its actually funny. If it weren't so bad then I'd give it a 0
Rated 12 Aug 2013
Rated 07 Sep 2012
Ultimately disappointing - so much potential for a GREAT story here is squandered. Acting is fine, Danvers Asylum is creepy as hell - session tapes are effectively creepy by themselves but also wasted potential for the most part. Makes me want to re write the script.
Rated 25 May 2012
Had higher expectations. Started out pretty cool, but went downhill from the start. Cheesy 'kill-scenes', bad acting and horrible music. Very confusing background story.. the movie could have been so much more..
Rated 24 Oct 2020
Top badass moment? Asbestos really is a killer. Where I used to work, the structural pillars in the office were suddenly boxed-in one day and covered in thick, plastic sheeting with scary “Contains Asbestos” stickers all over it. We were also told not to stick drawing pins into them anymore. I’m relating this as I fell asleep watching this film, so can’t really write much about it and have no idea what happened in the end. I was very tired! No cats, chainsaws or decapitations; probably.
Rated 24 Oct 2021
It didn't do a whole lot with the "abandoned asylum" setting. Depending on your view, that might either be wasted potential, or an attempt to avoid cliches. Really, the only use of the asylum setting was one character listening to old audio recordings instead of doing his job, for whatever reason. The best thing in the movie (which I'm surprised hasn't become a huge meme) is David Caruso saying "Fuck youuuuuuuu"
Rated 02 Oct 2012
One of those films that keeps you guessing until the end - at which point they get to the big reveal and you think "oh... that was it?" Apart from the underwhelming conclusion, it's not that bad. It avoids cheap frights and takes its time fleshing out the characters, but on the other hand I also felt it wasted the amazing location by only shooting in a few rooms.
Rated 28 Nov 2010
Didn't expect it to be so good.It's definitely a film worth watching
this movie was great. psychological thriller in its purest form.
Rated 11 Sep 2020
Did I watch the right film? I don't recognise this cheap TV movie from the reviews here! It's like a five minute student short padded out to feature length. Most of the movie was completely unrelated to the end - the characters, the asbestos, the drugs, the coins, the recordings - was the bloke possessed? I didn't get it. There are only a couple of brief 'scary' bits but even those were derivative scenes that we've all seen a hundred times before. There's an excellent, "Fuck you!" though.
Rated 18 Feb 2009
"One of the best horror films of 2001..."
Rated 12 Mar 2017
The twist makes no sense.
Rated 12 Jul 2009
Overall Enjoyment: 20/40, Plot/Themes: 10/20, Cinematography/Direction: 5/20, Acting/Writing: 5/20
Rated 23 Nov 2018
Vendo essas notas por aqui realmente percebemos o quanto o gênero horror é marginalizado, porque enquanto esse filme não é uma obra prima, é ao mesmo tempo altamente ciente da própria capacidade de manter o clima e horrorizar e é isso que o faz um ótimo filme. O espaço utilizado, o antigo Danvers State Hospital, é um plus a mais no horror, dando à atmosfera algo que sempre me fez evitar uma visita ao colônia em Barbacena: o mais absoluto horror psíquico. BlurayRip Amiable.
Rated 11 Mar 2011
A film that uses pacing to ratchet up the tension, not cheap jump scares or gore. The location is phenomenal but the script is a bit underwritten.
Rated 12 Aug 2009
Flawed in its production, but pitch-perfect in its atmosphere and plot development.
Rated 20 Oct 2010
"Claustrophobic and terrifying." - Ed Gonzalez
Rated 02 Apr 2009
Visually it can be a little bland, and the pacing's a little slow, but the setting is great, the characters are memorable, and I honestly didn't expect the twist ending, probably because the film presents itself convincingly as a supernatural horror affair until the final act.
Rated 29 Jun 2008
Not bad.
Rated 20 Feb 2009
A refreshing horror experience from the director behind The Machinist and Transsiberian. Visually captivating and beautifully edited (they way the soundtrack, dialogue etc. melts into the images) with a steady performance from the great Peter Mullan.
Rated 05 Feb 2013
The story is weak and stupid. A man hearing voices is pushed over the edge and he embarks on a killing spree. I really don't like movies that simply hint at the events that are unfolding. This director must have saved a lot of money by playing a sound track in place of creating visuals. They attempt to show a man who is losing his grip on reality, but this does a terrible and rather annoying job of it. Really confusing script, ridiculous plot and absolutely dreadful sound track.
Rated 08 Jul 2008
good movie
Rated 15 Apr 2008
The setting, an abandoned mental hospital, is clearly the star of the show and occupies most of the camera time. The story is minimal, focused on the efforts of an asbestos cleaning crew to go about their work and the ratcheting up of the stress that the environment places on them. No jump scare or gore, just well paced atmospheric foreboding.
Rated 25 May 2011
A lot of people don't like this as it's lower budget and think the story meanders and is unbelievable. I say fuck that, low budget psych horror forever.
Rated 19 Dec 2011
Big disappointment. I guess you either like it or hate it.
Rated 30 Jan 2012
7- recommended, good
Rated 14 Feb 2024
Been awhile since I've seen it, but loved the mood. Should revisit it someday soon.
Rated 06 Aug 2020
This was a wicked pissah.
Rated 23 Aug 2008
There is the dreaded "twist", but I honestly can't even remember what it was. What I DO remember is how adeptly this film methodically built up a real sense of dread, until it became almost unbearable and you are just begging for some kind of release. And, because I'm required to do so, let me praise it's setting and atmosphere (they are quite good, I must say).
Rated 17 Sep 2007
eerie but disappointing
Rated 02 Nov 2020
The paranoia peaked my interest, but the pay off didn't deliver. Nor did the acting or story as a whole.
Rated 28 Oct 2007
This movie got under my skin but good.