2001
Fantasy
At Kung Fu, they're masters. But when it comes to soccer, they're total disasters. Now, the only way to win...is to believe in Shaolin. (Miramax Films)

2001
Fantasy

Incredibly silly and enjoyable.
Rated 13 Mar 2012
Just might be the silliest movie ever made.
Rated 03 Apr 2015
Is this the best film I have ever seen? Yes, yes it is. I was giggling like a child. Pure, unadulterated hilarity.
Rated 10 May 2024
As a born and bred true blue American I think I can speak for all us as a nation when I say, what are the rules of soccer again?
Rated 17 Sep 2009
Has some funny moments, but for the most part fails to live up to wuxia standards. It seemed like the movie couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a wire-fu epic or a lowest common denominator comedy, and the compromise it strikes... doesn't work well.
Rated 29 Jan 2007
Pure kung-fu and comedy fun. This is the kind of movie that, once you see it, you want to share with as many people as you can. Really good!
Rated 27 Jun 2020
Obnoxious, over-stated sports saga has an intriguing premise, but is projected by Chow and his cast at such a LOUD volume that its featherweight story and characterisations buckle and eventually become tiresome. Some impressively balletic soccer stunts liven things up from time-to-time, leading to the inevitable "gag-reel" - an awkward assemblage of actors flubbing their lines and screaming. That's entertainment!
Rated 17 Jan 2014
Wonderfully stupid and over the top.
Showed the extremely promising buds of Chow's mad-cap, high-energy brilliance that really blossomed in Kung Fu Hustle. The absurd bluntness of "Team Evil" is hysterical.
Rated 03 Jan 2014
The plot is utterly ridiculous, and the soccer in the movie is unlike any ever played anywhere on Earth, but watching Shaolin Soccer, you will probably find it impossible to care.
Rated 29 Mar 2008
I preferred this to Kung Fu Hustle. Unpredictably silly and very very funny.
Rated 19 Feb 2011
A really fun film, creatively weaving together kung fu and sports films conventions into a silly surreal comedy.
Rated 24 Jul 2008
Extremely silly and enjoyable! Kung-fu action mixed in with sports!
Rated 31 May 2009
This movie is exicting, hilarious, fluffy fun. If you want something deep and intriguing, look elsewhere, but if you're in the mood for pure entertainment, you can't get much better than this.
Rated 15 Nov 2012
Having watched this movie at least twenty times already I still can't get enough. It's so funny in a quirky way, the characters are so amazingly wacky, it's camp on expert level!
Rated 24 Aug 2009
A legend.
Rated 29 Aug 2009
Soccer is fun to watch. Stephen Chow movies are entertaining. So a soccer movie starring Stephen Chow makes for one delightful film. The world of Shaolin Soccer is full of winners and losers; this is a movie about the losers. Shaolin Soccer takes the typical sports rags to riches movie plot, adds social misfits, unorthodox Kung-Fu techniques, and quirky humor to create a unique world where it is cool to be different. If you want a fun, lighthearted watch, I recommend this movie.
Rated 03 Nov 2009
My opinion is just that: This is, by far, the best film I've ever witnessed. The blend of shameless silliness but adherence to traditional 'American' Kung-Fu styles and Sportmanship sells this beauty of a film. I will always remember this one. It's my favorite!
Rated 07 Mar 2015
Absolutely insane action sequences combine with hilarious dialogue and overacting to make this outrageous sports flick that leaves the viewer either shaking their head in incredulity or busting a gut laughing. The standard underdog sports story is taken to new extremes here, with the ragtag soccer team rising to atmospheric levels of power and the climactic game literally resulting in tornadoes and complete destruction of the field. Everything is over-the-top in this awe-inducing riot of a film.
Rated 26 Jun 2010
One of the funniest movies. good jokes, funny dialogues and badly done but stylish effects. two thumbs up fpr CHOW
Rated 21 Dec 2006
Really goofy but not in the usual hollywood way, and somehow it never goes to far. Doesn't trail off at the end either.
Rated 02 Jan 2007
A bloody good laugh, like Kung-Fu Hustle.
Rated 01 Feb 2007
Having seen the american cut, I bet I missed a lot of the better jokes but fun nevertheless.
Rated 02 Feb 2007
I don't get it, do you honestly think we're buying all this floating for 4 hours thing?
Rated 10 Aug 2021
Very fun.
Rated 07 Jan 2015
I'm sure that a lot of people enjoy this schtick
Rated 18 Nov 2011
Yes, it's every plucky underdog sports movie ever made, but you have to admire a movie that that kung fu should be used in everyday life to avoid slipping on banana peels.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
Hilarious. Stephen Chow does a fantastic job of mixing comedy with kung-fu. While not as good as Kung-Fu Hustle, fans of the one will enjoy the other. The movie was slow to pick up, but the third act makes the rest of the film well worth it.
Rated 31 Mar 2007
Surreal and downright insane at times, the film suffers from attempts to add some plot to the action with these moments being made even more difficult to bare through badly translated dialogue in the subtitled version. However the actual football games themselves are great fun to watch and make up for all the blunders in the rest of the film. Worth a look.
Rated 09 Apr 2007
Hated it!!
Rated 21 May 2007
how about some PUMA-product placement?
Rated 07 Jun 2007
The funnies movie about soccer that doesn't involve cross dressing
Rated 06 Aug 2021
?????????????
Rated 02 Aug 2014
Beautifly
Rated 24 Jul 2011
Stephen Chow is a comedic genius!
Rated 03 Aug 2007
fun movie
Rated 05 Aug 2007
So many funny jokes the movie can actually bear the few terribly bad ones
Rated 06 Aug 2007
Stephen Chow's breakout mainstream hit, it deserves all the success and praise lavished on it. Funny, action packed, with a concept so high, it's stratospheric: kung fu monks play crazy ass soccer.
lacks some of the cohesive punch of kung fu hustle, but great characters
Shaolin Soccer is the most fun you'll have with a kung fu film.
Rated 08 Jan 2021
Watched when I was a kid and its hilarious holds up pretty fucking well. Also love whatever Stephen chow does so
Rated 20 Jun 2014
Inspired by the world cup to watch this. Freaking hilarious, I loved the Bruce Lee goalie. The score of the final match being 1-0 was also amazing, just a complete disregard for plot. Don't take this seriously guys.
Rated 16 Jul 2011
Another good chow movie, but gets lost in translation
Entertaining and quite funny, but rarely hilarious and sometimes not that funny at all.
oh dear.
Oh man, I love this movie. Classic english-over-chinese-mouth-movements kind of film, but lots of comedy and great kung-fu scenes. Hilarious as long as you're not expecting a serious film.
Very funny
Hugely silly, but a lot of fun to watch. Some of the visuals from this movie are still stuck in my head.
This is for the original, not the dubbed version.
A true story about China's emergence on the global stage as a soccer...ahem, football powerhouse through the use of ancient spiritual training...not prenatal DNA engineering or rare panda penis extract.
Funny movie, possibly my favorite soccer film.
Wire-fu + soccer. That's about it.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
The first half of this film is painfully slow. But if you manage to last long enough, the second half is awesome incarnate, a la Kung Fu Hustle.
Rated 20 Aug 2007
Stupid and fun
Rated 24 Aug 2007
Ugh. Not funny at all.
Rated 04 Sep 2007
Shaolin Soccer is a harrowing tale of a group of renegade ninjas who have abandoned their martial arts. Until one day one ninja is sought after by a poor Japanese man who has lost all pride and dignity in his life. Together they embark on a journey together to find who they truly are, all the while playing soccer to ultimately take down an old soccer playing nemesis. This movie is funny and Japanese, two things which can never go wrong. Great movie.
Rated 11 Sep 2007
Talk about taking your standard underdog sports movie and making it something new. There are just too many wow moments.
Rated 14 Jan 2023
The first half-hour is a befuddling mix of genres and tones, and some of the humor is lost in translation. But once it gets cooking, man, the Shaolin and the soccer do not disappoint.
Rated 13 Oct 2013
Entertainment 4/4: Wife and I both enjoyed this; it's one of the better Chinese movies. Spirituality 1.5/3: heroism, sacrifice, caring. Sustainability 0/3.
Rated 24 Oct 2007
Classic... I can always watch a few mins. of this movie and get hooked.
Rated 18 Jan 2008
Pure, crazy fun.
Rated 27 Feb 2008
ger; ein ehemaliger fussballstar versucht mit den shaolinkämpfern nochmal nach oben zu kommen - als trainer
Rated 04 Mar 2008
Hilarious.
Rated 06 Mar 2008
best martial arts soccer movie ever.
Rated 31 Mar 2017
Soccer stuff is great fun. The rest is forgettable but not bad in a way that will turn you off the rest of the film. It's a super silly mix of kung-fu and soccer action.
Rated 11 May 2008
Silly, but fun.
Rated 10 Jun 2008
im not quite dig this kinda of movie.... but this one its pretty nice. cool effects!
Rated 13 Jun 2008
Jajajaja, just great.
Rated 25 Jun 2008
Nice
Rated 06 Jul 2008
Okay
Rated 14 Aug 2013
It's a fine line between funny and idiotic.
Rated 12 Feb 2011
If you think that mixing Shaolin Kung Fu and football sounds silly, then let me assure you that Chow does nothing to convince you of the opposite. Also, it's worth remembering that for Asian movie makers, there's no such thing as over the top. If you're good with that, you'll probably have fun, more so than watching a team like Millwall play, anyhow.
Rated 04 Oct 2008
Oh my, what a movie.... The storytelling is rather interesting I would say, but maybe it's typical for those kind of movies... funny nonetheless.
Rated 04 Dec 2008
This was a feel good movie for the down-trodden. It has some nice special effects and a great story.
Rated 15 Dec 2008
Fell asleep. Does that count?
Rated 18 Dec 2008
Hilarious, unabashed ridiculousness with a good dose of characters, action, and special effects.
Rated 30 Dec 2008
Not funny.
Rated 17 Dec 2016
It's soccer meets kungfu meets crazy over the top anime moves. With all the awesomeness attached. Also the unsubtle storytelling, non-existent characters, general lunacy (both good and bad).
Rated 27 Jul 2013
I have seen better school productions.
Rated 25 Dec 2010
Good, harmless fun, with some nice special effects for its time.
Rated 28 Feb 2009
No one captures the fun of film making quite like Stephen Chow. Given some of the lower reviews I can't help but think some of the jokes didn't work with Western audiences. If nothing else you can enjoy this film for not being a Hollywood film with a type of quirky innocence that is hard to copy.
Rated 07 Apr 2009
aaaha i love shaoulin soccer this was actually a serous film once but got doubed just to make it funny
Rated 09 Apr 2009
Classic! A bit slow and boring at start and in between the matches. But the matches are entertaining like hell.
Rated 18 Apr 2009
A good-humored action comedy that I have watched and will continue to watch over the years.
Rated 23 Apr 2009
So dorky, but still fun. Not nearly as good as other Chow works, though.
Rated 28 May 2013
This was a decent comedy about a bunch of Shaolin warriors who start playing soccer. I watched the english dubbed version, and it was pretty good. It wasn't hilarious, but it had some funny moments and it was probably funnier than 90% of comedy movies that get released nowadays. There was also some good fight stuff and the special effects, while usually cheesy cgi stuff, actually fit the tone of the movie. Overall, this was a fun way to spend 90 minutes.
Rated 01 Nov 2010
This comedy fulfilled its purpose.
Rated 01 Jul 2009
I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would...
Rated 13 Jul 2009
Overall Enjoyment: 25/40, Plot/Themes: 10/20, Cinematography/Direction: 10/20, Acting/Writing: 5/20
Rated 19 Jul 2009
Loved the movie all the way..!
Rated 22 Jul 2009
Not funny! Don't get what people see in this.
Rated 09 Aug 2009
?? ??????? ????????????้????????????ำ
Rated 05 Jun 2016
This is one of the funniest movies ever made. Even thinking about it makes me start laughing out loud again. Yeah, yeah, corny, slightly sexist, nonsense plot, Stephen Chow vehicle, whatever . . . We can address these complaints when we get our breath back. Right now we are laughing too hard to talk, so come back later.
Rated 25 Feb 2024
LostmyattentionearlybutiprobshouldapaidmoreattentionlolX2rewatchoneday
Rated 19 Aug 2009
I haven't seen the diznee release of it, but the dubbed HK version was spectacular! Excellent special effects, lots of HK comedy (in that if you can read this, you probably wouldn't understand it), and an inspiring story.
Rated 15 Sep 2009
Some very funny moments, but also long stretches of over the top boring stuff.
Rated 08 May 2016
Ridiculous, just ridiculous.How on earth some people praise this?
Rated 24 Feb 2010
Just for last scene of film which the boy is watching the people and they do their daily works with Kung Fu techniques.
Rated 06 Aug 2010
só o dedé pra me fazer assistir......
Rated 16 Aug 2010
One of my kids favorites and it really had a lot of good comedic action. The effects were over the top but very enjoyable!