Sherlock Holmes
Sherlock-Holmes-2009

Sherlock Holmes

2009
Drama, Crime
Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson engage in a battle of wits and brawn with a nemesis whose plot is a threat to all of England.

The topic of the story is ambitious and original but it was far too complex and rather messy, and the resolving of plots at the end by Holmes is needed as there were no clues to the mysteries in the film which denies the 'play along' factor that these kind of films really need. However, a pleasing palette of characters disregarding the annoyingly cheesy villain and the relationship between Holmes and Watson is handled extremely well by the actors and that is what pulls you through this film.
Turns out that a Guy Ritchie take on Sherlock Holmes is better in theory than in practice. Too watered-down and Hollywoodized for a true Ritchie flick, and too dumb and action-y for a true Holmes adaptation. RDJ is an unconventional but serviceable Holmes, but Rachel McAdams is wildly miscast as Irene Adler. I still give the movie a marginal recommendation because, despite its many faults, it does manage to entertain in its own awkward way.
Solves the mystery of whether or not Robert Downey Jr. can pull off playing a cocky know-it-all... ... ... again.
Good, not great. Didn't feel anything like a Guy Ritchie film, which is a bad thing for me. RDJ is pretty awesome yet again. The chemistry with him and Jude Law felt forced and it was hard for me to believe it. Horrible soundtrack and some noticeably bad CGI in places. All the women characters were complete throwaways and they had one of those shitty endings that had to set up for the sequel. I liked it but I don't know if I'll remember much about it in a week or 2.
It's neither Arthur Conan Doyle nor great cinema, but I went to see cool action, Victorian London settings, exaggerated minutia-centric sleuthing, and Robert Downey Jr. being witty, and by god, it had all those things. Irene Adler ended up feeling a little superfluous and the plot is definitely kinda messy, but Holmes and Watson had great chemistry and I plain had fun. Color me on board for the blatantly set up sequel.

Submitted bygauntletGauntlet on 05 Dec 2009