Sherlock Jr.

1924
Romance
45m

Rated 02 Feb 2007
The main story arc is simple yet effective, and nothing is lingered on for too long. Most importantly, though, the stunts are mind-blowing and clearly very dangerous. Buster fractured his neck in one of the sequences, 'nuff said. And what would you know, there's a rather intriguing subtext about the nature of watching a film and its relationship to dreaming going on here as well, not to mention all the clever stuff with "walking into the frame" and the film within the film.
Rated 30 Sep 2020
This film is impressive and impressive in an impressive way that both impresses and leaves you impressed. Sorry, these silent movies leave me with so few words.
Rated 19 Oct 2007
My first Keaton, and a fine introduction to him it was. I was impressed by his skills on both sides of the camera - the clever editing and illusions must've been rather impressive upon their release, and they're still highly effective and enjoyable. Keaton really shines with his physical comedy as well - especially in the runaway motorcycle sequence, which climaxes with him flying through a window, feet-first, and kicking an opponent through a wall. Hilarious. Holds up extremely well.
Rated 22 Feb 2009
I sat down with this expecting a dry history lesson in the craft a la "Potemkin", and instead I laughed my ass off. And never in that condescending "o! what simple times they must have been" sort of way; this is genuinely funny stuff. I have to imagine filmmakers had gone meta before this, but I doubt they managed to weave it so effortlessly into the whole experience.
Rated 10 Feb 2007
This is my favorite Keaton film, and one of the best silent comedies I've seen. The sight gags are spot on, the film within a film premise is brilliant and quite innovative, and the pacing is excellent, keeping it short and sweet instead of drawing out the plot before getting to the "good stuff" (which I think several other silent comedies have done).
Rated 17 Aug 2016
Very funny silent film that still feels fresh almost 100(!) years later. All of Buster Keaton's considerable talents are on display here, from his jaw-dropping stunts to impeccable comic timing. The simple plot is merely a clothesline on which Keaton hangs his memorable set pieces, including the innovative "film within a film" and the amazing motorcycle sequence. Short, but very sweet.
Rated 13 May 2009
The humour still holds up fine, the film is very exciting and the editing is just magnificent all along. Particularly in the scene after he first steps into the film, wow. Everything is done right.
Rated 21 Oct 2008
Great comedy with impressive stunts that can still make you blow your mind trying to figure out how Keaton did it. Wonderfully self-aware with brilliant pacing, this is slapstick done right. Few other comedies compare.
Rated 18 Oct 2008
Genuinely amusing to say the least, yet I can't help but compare Keaton to Chaplin - although the latter was a far better comedian. Maybe I feel this way because I've seen almost all of Chaplin's shorts and films, but he's just funnier than 'Stone Face' Keaton. Keaton's 'bad guys', the execution of some of his jokes, and the story weren't always that appealing. Sure, he's a very good stuntman, and he uses that amazing talent for his gags that eventually tickle people's funny bone.
Rated 22 Nov 2008
Woman: "I lost a dollar." Keaton (*pondering*): "... Describe it." The timing, pacing and sheer audacity (i mean, who in their right mind would ever concoct such crazy stunts?) is nothing short of spectacular. Comedy of and for both body and mind. Standouts: "Walk into screen" gag, shadowing gag and pool gag. But every second is magical. Breathtaking.
Rated 22 Sep 2009
extremely clever and very unique, easily proof that keaton had one of the most brilliant minds in early film. i really saddens me that every keaton movie i watch is one more to seeing them all.
Rated 03 Jan 2007
Undeniably dated, it won't make you roll around on the floor laughing. Still, it takes silent comedy to its very limits and keeps pushing, is increasingly inventive cinematically, and definitely fun, captivating stuff. For a richer experience, watch the version to which the magnificent Club Foot Orchestra has added its original new music. That's a brilliant band by itself, by the way.
Rated 15 Jul 2014
Hoe-lee shytte! (said the way Belushi says it in Animal House after the horse dies). Probably the third best silent film ever made, surpassed only by Jeanne d'Arc and Caligari. Buy the print - Melt it down - Smear it on your nipples. Myes.
Rated 03 Apr 2010
My favorite Buster Keaton movie. Marvelous piece of work by a truely gifted artist.
Rated 17 Jan 2022
The Sherlock plot is fairly thin, but the physical comedy is amazing considering he's doing all these stunts. I was confused about what being a "sheik" meant since I imagined it meant a rich/powerful person, like Ruldolph Valentino's The Sheik, but the one here's poorer than Buster Keaton. Fav scenes: out-of-body experience into the movie screen (how did he do that?) and the motorcycle chase.
Rated 27 Jan 2017
A poor man trying to survive in a cinematic world, a world where meaning is detached from reality (his false accusation). He rebels against this world through the dream machine of cinema but does that in a spatial and territorial way. He creates new constellations and assemblages, which is the revolutionary power of early cinema. That's why at the very last scene, he can't understand a time-image on the screen, which is too weak for BK's territorial mastery and imagination. 1 of the best films!
Rated 22 May 2020
This motherfucker is an absolute loony
Rated 15 Feb 2010
Where do I begin? You would think a 44 minute feature wouldn't have much to it. Buster Keaton stars in and directs this highly accessible silent film. Simple narrative that is bought to life by jolts of laughter and breathtaking stunts. Cinematic effects well illusions being used are way ahead of their time. Logical conclusion that "Sherlock, Jr." is a masterpiece is elementary, my dear Watson.
Rated 06 Jul 2007
Buster's best movie -- and that's saying a lot. MUST-SEE material for anyone who claims an interest in film history.
Rated 20 Feb 2012
The film really gets going when we get to the movie-within-a-movie, a concept that was pretty genius considering the time period. From there on, it's just a wonderful series of gags and crazy stunts. Too bad the version I saw had a pretty annoying soundtrack, hurting the viewing experience a bit.
Rated 02 Jun 2008
Hysterical and impressive! Everything from the motorcycle chase to the sinking boat is unforgettable.
Rated 15 Nov 2010
Keaton's concern with the nature of the movie medium always far outdistanced Chaplin's or any other competitor's in the silent comedy field, and the dream sequence in which the mousy movie projectionist projects himself onto the movie screen is about as far in that direction as he ever went. The movie has some laughs, too -- in the pool game with an explosive 8-ball and in the obligatory chase.
Rated 29 Mar 2014
Several neat technical and narrative (especially the 'film within a film' parts) tricks here considering the time it was made -still, watched today, "Sherlock Jr." rarely ever rose above 'moderately charming' for me. (Keaton's deadpan charisma assured that it almost never fell below that level as well.) I upgraded the score five points for the final scene alone.
Rated 22 Nov 2021
yalan yok bu adamı hiç sevmem. the general ve seven chances filmlerinde baştan aşağıya mantık hatası, anlamsızlık, militarizm övgüsü ve ırkçılık doluydu. bu filme de bir sanatsal geçit töreni diyemem ancak ilk kez "helal olsun" dedim adama. 97 yıl önceden bir rüya sekansı tahmin etmezdim ve yine öncül çekim teknikleri. ama verilen çoğunluk 90-95 puanlar tamamen komedi. asla ama asla kişisel görüş diyemem buna. sorry
Rated 14 Jan 2007
Fun and it has some impressive visual tricks too.
Rated 17 Jul 2011
Short but really really sweet.
Rated 26 Aug 2012
A technical miracle for 1924, "Sherlock Jr." is a monumental film. Filled with hilarious gags, action, romance, twists and turns, this makes for an exciting watch, while the breathtakingly side-splitting chase at the end is a definitive highlight of this classic laugh-fest (and of cinema in general). A work of brilliance.
Rated 18 Aug 2018
I'm usually not a huge fan of Keaton, but this was something else. Smart, funny, technically decades ahead of its time. A masterpiece.
Rated 24 Jul 2007
In a film full of amazing stunts and effects, Buster's leap through "The Tie Lady" is incredible!
Hilarious
Rated 12 Nov 2014
Hilarious, engaging and technically dazzling. From what I've seen, it's Keaton at his zenith, combining impeccable physical comedy, transcendent mechanical mastery and fluid storytelling with a delightful touch of the surreal. Timeless and magical masterpiece.
Rated 01 Sep 2012
One of the best silent films I've seen. The action, comedy, stunts, and effects still feel fresh today, and the level of suspense in the film-within-a-film is worthy of Hitchcock. I might fault the overall movie for its simplistic plot and the break in its storyline, but I still loved this. And that's coming from someone who's frequently takes issue with meta-films or silent movies. Just an utterly enjoyable time.
Rated 06 Jan 2020
Innovative premise and presumably one of the first films to make an explicit connection between cinema and dreams in a narrative context. Keaton's technical wizardry can't be denied, and he really had a talent for tightly editing complicated sequences to maximise their visceral impact. On the whole though, I found that I respected it more than I actually enjoyed it and didn't laugh much, but it's likely I missed something fundamental along the way that hampered my appreciation.
Rated 29 Sep 2009
A fantastic comedy with some absolutely hilarious moments. The stunts were fantastic, ranging from the motorcycle chase, to the changing environment in the theatre, to the pacing and timing of every joke. An absolute must.
I'll give almost ANY Buster Keaton 100 ... This one shows his love for cinema ( and inspired Woody's The Purple Rose of Cairo ! ) Buster Forever !!
Rated 20 Oct 2011
There are some amazing stunts, some really funny scenes, and it doesn't overstay it's welcome at all. It's a really joyful experience.
Rated 26 Mar 2007
Buster's best. Hilarious, and a clear influence on later filmmakers
Rated 11 Jan 2009
'24 really? Keaton must have had a wild imagination. I cannot imagine the scenes that he thought of but could not shoot because of technological shortcomings. Simply astonishing...
Rated 04 Jan 2022
At first some great comedy, then absolute insane stunts until the end. Great fun and only 45 minutes long!
Rated 29 Jun 2013
The ultimate reward of watching Buster Keaton's films- like the movie for his projectionist in "Sherlock Jr.," they allow your dreams to become a reality...if only for a short time. And when they're over, maybe you feel a little better about your reality, and have the courage to do what might have been difficult before. That he has become one of my all-time favorites should come as no surprise.
Rated 17 Jun 2009
Simple, yet so creative. Keaton's technical wizardry is still very effective, with many gags relying on crafty editing that is pretty impressive. I don't have a lot to say except that it's just a whole lot of fun.
Rated 12 Jan 2014
Simply just funny as hell throughout the whole movie. The dream-sequence is fantastic and the The billard-scene together with the motorcyle-part is just brilliant, turning Keaton into a surreal mix of early James Bond and Sterling Archer. Fantastic.
Delightful and entertaining. Some clever camera tricks and editing techniques for the time.
Rated 09 Dec 2013
fan-freaking-tastic comedy. the visual humour is even better than usual for keaton, but it's probably the band that sticks out, adding plenty of pizzazz that silents often lack. probably the funniest silent i've seen.
Rated 13 Dec 2008
Easily the best Keaton's short (trust me, I have seen them all). It's funny, it's thrilling, it's amazing. Some of the stunts seems too risky to be real. But that's early cinema for you, no CGI, no bullshiting, just all guts and hard work to entertain us.
Rated 20 Feb 2012
I had such a good time watching this. What a well made movie; the editing, acting and stunts were phenomenal!
Rated 30 Sep 2009
How can you not love this?
Rated 25 Dec 2008
Mindblowing stunts and quite impressive special effects mixed with great comedy made this a very good watch despite the fact that the story didn't do much for me. I enjoyed the pacing of it and many parts, but things like what appeared to be the utter disregard for any rules of pool known to man kinda bugged me. Still, excellent.
Rated 20 Jan 2010
Maybe I need more patience for early cinema, but all I can really feel about this film is the early techniques and narrative styles are impressive. It's not all that interesting without all of its innovations though.
Rated 16 Jul 2010
This is film making in its purest form. Keaton is one of the most talented, creative, imaginative, and gutsy film makers ever to live, and Sherlock Jr. is an example of the wizardry he is capable of. I laughed out loud on multiple occasions (the pool table gag is absolutely hysterical), and I gasped in amazement many times (entering the movie, through-the-window costume change, motorcycle over trucks, etc). A truly amazing movie from one of the greatest figures in film history.
Rated 02 Sep 2009
Damn do I love some Buster Keaton.
Rated 08 Sep 2017
I just like Keaton.
Rated 17 Jul 2022
The finest showcase of Keaton’s unparalleled bravery and ingenuity in early stunt work is undoubtedly Sherlock Jr. It’s three quarters of an hour packed to the gills with visual gags so brilliant and innovative that it’s difficult to not simply declare it the greatest of all silent comedies and move along. The motorcycle sequence is especially fantastic.
Rated 23 Oct 2007
One of the great films of all time, Sherlock Jr. beautifully blends intrigue, adventure, laughs, and pathos, all within a story that, at times, borders on the surreal. The changing scenery of the dream sequence is brilliant, the motorcycle ride provides both thrills and laughs, but best of all is that wonderful conclusion. There's a reflexive aspect to the sequence, posing for us the question that Keaton's Sherlock is asking: Can the movies really teach us everything we need to know about life?
Rated 01 Nov 2009
Keaton was really a match for Chaplin that time.
Rated 20 Dec 2010
I think "stupendous" is the apposite word.
Rated 13 Mar 2009
One of the best silent film ever made.
Rated 11 Jun 2022
The plot is less of a plot and more of a framing, soon laid aside in favour of oneiric ventures, varying from amusing to tedious to impressive. Ultimately, Sherlock, Jr. is a short, sweet and charming excuse for Keaton to pull off stunts and gags. Hard not to like on some level, even if it didn't sweep me off my feet.
Rated 17 Apr 2007
# 69
Rated 21 May 2012
This film is only about 45 minutes long, but it totally works. It's full of the humour and charm you expect from Keaton's films. The stunts in this one were also really impressive. They used some cool camera tricks too. What more can I say? It's just pure, wholesome fun.
Rated 15 Sep 2008
Unbelievable synchronization!
Rated 29 May 2007
The story is simple, yet Keaton makes use of a lot of cool camera tricks and especially stunts. Still hilarious today.
Rated 05 Dec 2015
A cute, funny story of Buster winning the heart of Kathryn. Ward, Buster's rival, is always there to kill Buater's chances. The music goes very well with the film. The middle of the film seemed tedious even though the movie is only 45 minutes. The story was well done overall. I might just have an issue with silent films.
Rated 15 Jul 2012
Maybe i`m being a bit overexcited here about my first Buster, but all i can think of is "brilliant". Awesome stunts, timeless humor, and, dear lord, those big eyes.
Rated 12 Feb 2024
Another of Keaton's inconsistent entries, though this splits clearly down the middle with a first half that has its moments (the banana peel is well executed) but tends to labour over a Chaplinesque romance plot. The second half is kind of brilliant, both in its pensive meta aspects (beating PURPLE ROSE by several decades) as well as the heart-stoppingly brilliant motorcycle chase (pity the train driver!) A mixed bag, but its second half deserves ranking with Keaton's finest. Happy 100th!
Rated 05 Aug 2013
The first half drags just a little bit, but the second half (the dream/movie) is a spectacle to watch -- some of the most insane and fun to watch stunts ever recorded (the only people doing this sort of thing these days seem to be the Jackass crew). This is a really great example of a film within a film (within a dream).
Rated 11 Jul 2011
Great gags and stunts.
Rated 15 Nov 2013
I don't normally like anything from the era, but this had to be mind blowing for the time. It still seems fun and clever.
Rated 29 Oct 2011
filme giris, ayna esprisi
Rated 11 Feb 2023
audiovisual 98 acting 85 overall feeling 90 avg 91
Rated 01 Mar 2008
# 82
Rated 08 Jul 2010
The stunts were phenomenal, but everything else was not as good.
Rated 10 Feb 2019
Virgem
Rated 23 Nov 2010
I found the special effects clever and the jokes quite witty.
Rated 15 Aug 2015
Perfectly timed physical comedy and amazing stunts. Watch it!
Rated 01 Apr 2019
While I don't think its the classic that most people seem to think it is, it is a very entertaining and fun comedy with quite a few impressive stunts and innovative filming techniques.
Rated 11 Nov 2013
Enjoyable enough to watch, but the humour hasn't aged so well. If this was half the length, it would be a lot better. Extremely well made, however, including stunts and technical details.
Rated 05 Dec 2012
This was crisp and very funny, especially as soon as the dream sequence started. The whole bit with Keaton stumbling into the movie screen was fantastic and fit perfectly within the context. I still think there's a bit of a disconnect between my own enjoyment and the quality of the film but I'd still recommend it.
Rated 02 Dec 2018
I totally understand why it was THE shit in the 20s, but honestly who needs Buster Keaton today when we have Jackie Chan?
Rated 26 Nov 2023
adamın 100 yıl önce yaptığı filme bak. büyüksün buster keaton abi.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
Though not quite as good as "The General," Sherlock, Jr. is still a fantastic film from silent comedy master Buster Keaton that definitely should not be missed.
Rated 30 Jul 2012
Proves Keaton was a technical wizard and one of the finest innovators of the silent era. His stunts are impressive as usual and his humor hasn't aged one bit. The scene where he barely avoids all the death traps show the Sherlock Jr. character as a clear inspiration to Peter Sellers' Inspector Clouseau.
Rated 25 Nov 2011
Even better than Steamboat Bill Jr. or The General, great films in their own right. What separates it from the rest is not just the stunts, incredible as always, but the sheer ebullient joy of the film's illusionism, the camera tricks, the relentless visual gags and invention, and the sophisticated understanding of the medium he shows.
Rated 27 Apr 2022
Projectionist: "Be careful or one of us will get hurt."
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 23 May 2015
Now *this* is a Buster Keaton feature. From the moment he enters that projection booth, everything is fantastic in every sense.
Rated 06 May 2014
technical details way ahead of his time, amazing stunts as usual
Rated 01 Jan 2012
The oversized shoes make him look like a rip-off of Chapman's "Little Fellow", and is completely unnecessary given the very different nature of Keaton's comedy. Great stunts and sight gags. I prefer the warm fuzziness of Chapman, though.
Rated 20 Jan 2020
Timeless.
Rated 17 Oct 2008
Pretty fucking hilarious.
Rated 20 Feb 2019
Rated 28 Feb 2021
The gag where Keaton walks into the movie screen is brilliant. It's always amazing how creative pre sound-era films were and how much technical innovation just died in the 30s.
Rated 22 May 2012
A film that's so in love with movies that you can't help but fall in love with it.
Rated 22 Mar 2014
Rated 13 Nov 2011
Very good. Keaton puts about as much as humanly possible in a 44 minute film. It's got the humor and stunts that he's known for and the entire dream sequence is pretty spectacular. The story is unfortunately a bit weak. It doesn't make it unwatchable by any means, but it keeps it from being a complete classic.
Rated 30 Jul 2012
This was the best way to introduce myself to Keaton's work; his impressive skills, tricks and stunts are still a marvel to behold.
Rated 15 Nov 2009
Those stunts are quite amazing and some jokes are really well done, but I seem to like Chaplin better. In the end, it all comes down to taste.
Rated 21 Jan 2022
Rated 09 Jul 2023
How to rate this? It's classic Keaton. The first half is your normal, cutesy silent film. And then he falls asleep and walks into his own movie(!) Visually (and plot wise) for a film from the 20s? That must have blown people's minds! Keaton deserves all the praise he gets, not only for his behind the camera innovations (like the train almost missing him) but for being in front of the camera and putting his life on the line, literally breaking his neck with that water tower trick. Tuff 2 rate tho
Rated 05 Nov 2009
Keaton great as always, also the technical stunts in this movie were quite good and mind blowing for it's time.