Shutter-Island
Amazon VideoApple TVfuboTVMGM Plus Amazon ChannelShowtime Apple TV ChannelGoogle Play Movies
Vudu

Ratings and reviews:

Shutter Island

2010
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
Shutter Island is a deep and complex picture. It is more than what is tossed to us. It is an examination of a man, his sanity, and the avocation of the populace. The film is too predictable. You know it, I know it, but I believe it is obvious for a reason. Scorsese made a film that is purely psychological; there is NO twist. What we the viewer are left with is an ending that is meant to be explored to the point of being able to find the answer only in between the lines, and in the shades of grey
"Hey, I have an idea! Let's make a two-and-a-half hour movie centered around a twist but reveal it in the first five minutes. And let's get a great director who totally isn't suited to this type of picture. Oh, and we can't forget giving the movie absolutely no re-watch value. Yup. Oscar Gold." UPDATE FOUR YEARS LATER: I hate this review but with 12 stars, to re-do it would be pretty vain. So here.
This film has a few flaws: a few elements are overdone, the reveal/flashback wasn't handled perfectly, and some of the events are harder to understand in retrospect. Still, the suspense is intense, it's brilliant insight into a character, the cinematography mirrors the line between reality and insanity, the ending is fantastic, and it has all the positive hallmarks of a Scorsese film.
Contrived, heavy-handed, and uninvolving. Whatever cinematic virtues it may possess, and whatever ideas may have animated the filmmakers (say about 1950s craziness), the conclusions are trite and the punches telegraphed. Even in terms of the more or less generic entertainment it is clearly intended to be, the result is less than satisfying. As with Lehane's MYSTIC RIVER an overwrought script was the major flaw. Scorsese's least successful feature (until SILENCE).
Maybe if I had never seen a Scorsese movie before I possibly could've given this a higher score. But I have, and in comparison to his best movies (Goodfellas, Raging Bull, etc.), this doesn't even compare. It was a decent movie, but for Scorsese's standards it's one of his worst, if not the worst. Too predictable, I felt like I've seen this same plot unfold a hundred times. The acting was fine but the script needed some major work. Very disappointing.
A movie that manages to be masterful and shitty and the same time. An cinematic enigma.
This film proves that Scorsese can handle any type of film with finese. Although Crime Dramas will always be his bread and butter, there is no let down in his attempt at a noir/thriller. Old school cliches are made fresh again, the music is foreboding and the cinematography is as drearily fantastic as the setting. Leo excells. His performance in the last act of the film reaches straight into your chest and rips out your heart. Don't expect a huge "twist," just try to decide what you believe.
Shutter Island is an amazingly ambitious journey through the mind. Starting from the very beginning, you are instilled with a sense of dread and eventually hopelessness that mirrors that of the main character. As he struggles to uncover all the mysteries of Ashecliffe, you begin to doubt whether or not he'll ever find what he's looking for and just how much of this is in the hero's mind. Never boring, Shutter Island is an unpredictable mystery with brilliant performances through out.
It's been awhile since I've watched this but I remember enjoying it quite a bit Personally I think DiCaprio should've won a Oscar for this
The cast is so great that you could accuse Scorsese of showing off, argue that some stars were wasted, but none of them do bad work. I'm surprised that S.I. has quite a few haters and I suspect what they dislike so much is the transparency of the mystery. Hell, most viewers will have guessed the "twist" from the trailer. Who could the 67th patient possibly be? Hmmm... For me this wasn't significant. I enjoyed the style and the execution. The flashback at the end was terribly overwrought, though.
Seems redundant to mention the quality of the acting, editing, pacing and camera work as this is a Scorsese picture and that is all that needs to be said. Knowing the twist from the start actually enhanced my viewing as I was more aware how the story hinted at the 'mystery'. "Shutter Island" will be a movie that gets more appreciation from a second viewing. Its also one of the gloomiest movies you will see. If I wanted to make someone upset, I would buy them the soundtrack to this film.
One of those guilty pleasures that - the talent and craftmanship behind it in mind - really shouldn't make you feel so guilty to begin with... But nevertheless an atmospheric pleasure.
"Shutter Island" is often criticised for being obvious, for revealing itself too early. Whilst I agree it is an obvious "twist", it doesn't matter. That isn't the point. The film isn't about the twist, it's about why the twist exists. What made it happen. How the character of the U.S. Marshall copes with it. Considering that, and combining it with the frankly flawless acting, editing, filming, and score, "Shutter Island" is a real triumph.
Scorsese pulls off a psychological thriller quite well. Even when you think you know what's coming, you're waiting to see how it plays out, and looking for clues. There are surprises to be had, and some interesting performances, and a lot of great camerawork. I will say that it's disappointing to see Scorsese stoop so low as to do the "NOOOOOOOO!!" shot. And the explanation that goes along with the twist is a teensy bit hard to swallow. But for the vast majority of the film I really enjoyed it.
An expertly crafted thriller, drawing on the influences of film noir and Hitchcock, but giving them a supernatural bent, to create something moody, intense and mysterious. Though it firmly plants its feet within the boundaries of a "genre" film, it's done with such style that it never bothered me. The score is fantastic. Could have been tightened up in spots, but an excellent film regardless - ranks with Scorsese's better works.
Disappointing in every aspect. The mystery is way too predictable, the aesthetics are way too generic and the characters are annoyingly clich├ęd. DiCaprio is simply not suited to play this role. Give us back Richard Widmark! "Shutter Island" is a decidedly mediocre Scorsese movie. The straitjackets worn by the patients of Shutter Island are nothing compared to the straitjacket that Scorsese forces his viewer to wear. Probably the antithesis to Joon-Ho Bongs awesome "Memories of Murder".
a tremendous thriller that is so tense i think you could use it as an aerobic workout. DiCaprio and Ruffalo are damn good, and the story is simply impossible to dislike.
It's pointless to go on about how good this film is due to it being a Scorcese film.
While I like the editing and pacing at the very beginning of the movie, it turns into a surreal drama so quickly, that the very obvious twist becomes obscured by the viewers disbelief, that they'd really take the story in THAT direction. And so, all the great performances (look at the supporting cast! Haley! Levine! Koteas! Max von FUCKING Sydow!) and all the fine cinematography, cannot keep this boat afloat. Also, watching DiCaprio in this, one cannot help but thinking 'Inception: The Prequel.'
Martin Scorsese makes an Alfred Hitchcock film.
Even if you probably can guess the end you still have to admire the way the movie got there.
Marvellous execution of what turned out to be a really bad story. Brilliant acting too. God dammit.
When little girls in Italy start speaking in heavily accented impossible-to-place tongues, Catholic priests are called in from the Vatican to exorcise the Beast from the victims' frail vessels. When Leonardo DeCaprio does it, he wins himself a dinner date with Martin Scorsese.
It's interesting to see Scorsese tackle such a blatant genre film, and it is an impressive and vivid production. It's ultra stylish, but heavy handed and obvious. Despite being built upon cliches, it's fun to watch it all play out, but the final exposition dump is clumsy. It's just not the most elegantly scripted film, often failing to capitalize on the morbid curiosity it inspires.
Great movie. Each scene and shot had such texture; I could not only see and hear the movie, but feel it, taste it, and smell it. A sign of expert direction. The music was great throughout, creating a perfectly foreboding mood that really got me into the movie, especially in the first twenty minutes or so. The script was tight and richly layered; all sorts of clues were provided that will make a second viewing a whole different experience. A really fun and intelligent movie.