0 rankings

Silence ()

Your Rating

Summary: In the seventeenth century, two Jesuit priests face violence and persecution when they travel to Japan to locate their mentor and propagate Christianity. (imdb)

Additional Information & Actions

More information at IMDb

Invalid Trailer
If you'd like, provide a new one!

RatingsRatings
FindFind
CollectionsCollections
StatsStats
loading Loading Products from Ebay
Silence belongs to 19 collections
1. Films available in HD (public: moderated by kubricksucks - 12 stars)
2. Religion (public: moderated by Pickpocket - 5 stars)
3. Epic (public: moderated by Spunkie - 3 stars)
4. Christianity (public: moderated by Ag0stoMesmer - 3 stars)
5. 89th Academy Awards Nominees (public: moderated by SpeedlimiT - 2 stars)
6. 17th century period film (public: moderated by djross - 1 star)
7. NBR Top 10 Films (public: moderated by xacviant - 1 star)
8. 89th Academy Reminder List (2016) (public: moderated by cowfrappe - 1 star)
9. Historical Figures (public: moderated by comepelicula)
10. 89th Academy Awards: Nominees (private: okayfrog - 2 stars)
11. Djross top 60 movies for me to see (private: djross - 1 star)
12. 2016 Films to Watch (private: kendellhouse - 1 star)
13. 30 per year (private: kendellhouse - 1 star)
14. Movies I've Seen In Theaters (private: SirStuckey)
15. To See (private: Unsaintly)
16. jeff_h's films to remember (private: jeff_h)
17. 2017 (private: sproost)
18. Best of 2016 (private: mg7film)
19. AV Club 20 Best Films of 2016 (private: TychoCelchuu)

Browse the full list of collections
Show:
All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:
TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
Date User Score
Mar 28 xacviant
81T6
Mar 28 hughesj11
73T6
Mar 28 philamental philamental
56T3
This one didn't work for me. The best scene was when Neeson finally returns to the screen (like we never expected that to happen) and he and Garfield debate the success of christianity in Japan. In this scene some of the main themes of the film are brought to a head intelligently. However everything up to that scene was overly drawn out, and everything after far less interesting. Maybe this is one of these films that means more if you're already spiritually invested in catholicism, but I am not.
Mar 27 Hoodar Hoodar
Mar 22 matimend matimend
7T5
Mar 22 oskarhu oskarhu
84T9
Despite some mediocre acting and it's slow pace, Silence manages to delve into deep religious commentary without seeming preachy. Also, points for the cinematography and Issei Ogata, who played the inquisitor, Inoue, wonderfully.
Mar 21 hereslucas lucbapt
Mar 19 anaskvit anaskvit
75T4
Mar 19 capodelnulla capodelnulla
84T9
scorsese olmasa ilgimi zerre çekmeyecek bir hikayeden, inanç üzerine izlediğim -ve hatta belki okuduğum- en *güzel*, dokunaklı ve etkileyici birikim çıkıyor ortaya, hepsi yine scorsese sayesinde. olmaması gereken bir yerde yaşamaması gereken şeyler yaşayan bir insan, temelinde mesele zaten insan... post-modernistlere selamı ben söylerim.
Mar 19 brainsap brain_sap
Mar 09 felipelahm felipelahm
Mar 09 pedrorp pedrorp
Mar 09 ladyspiggott ladyspiggott
82T8
É pecado dizer que me esbaldei vendo os cristãos todos torturados? Rá!
Mar 09 tiagosdc
Mar 06 justinhilton justinhilton
82T9
Mar 06 kito1 kito1
70T7
Not suitable for a general audience (about 10 people walked out of the cinema). It moves very, very slowly and you must have a strong will to sit through it. But this is a type of film that is rare today; and I was one of the few to enjoy it somewhat.
Mar 05 TheMayor
30T8
Mar 05 ednorog ednorog
74T5
Mar 05 ironagepig
93T9
Mar 02 Detox Detox
86T9
So many hard questions here. Can everything be forgiven at any time? How do we act when there are earthly and heavenly forces which are way bigger than us? I had my problems with the epilogue but I can't deny that I felt the seriousness of it. Some of the symbolism goes too far but that's really the exception here. And I just loved the slow pacing. Really powerful stuff.
Mar 01 Argion21 Argion21
81T8
Mar 01 juandr
93T8
Mar 01 Nathan Nathan
Feb 28 redacted redacted
68T5
Has the hallmarks of a Scorsese film, the adventurous cinematography for one, another would be (for the lion share of his other films) the Roman Catholic imagery. Here of course, there is no subtlety required & we are immersed in the divine. Which in this case, is swamp caked Japanese peasants and 2 forlorn priests. Given the pet project nature of the film & lengthy production, the timing of the release is conveniently relevant when looking at the level of religious persecution in today's world.
Feb 28 CCLZA CCLZA
90T10
A study on the interaction between signifier and meaning. Astonishing.
Feb 28 Lonewolf2003
78T7
It's way more complex than it appears to be. It starts as a celebration of religious devotion and with a very simple negative view on Japanese society. But then the movie slowly casts more and more doubt in Garfield (and the viewer) about his own moral assumption and prejudices. Making it seem like a very unstable movie in its message. But that's the whole point ; making the viewer doubt himself about his views on right and wrotn.
Feb 28 SYY07
Feb 28 domv domv
Feb 27 pntjr
8T6
Feb 27 quez2go
78T7
It's hard to rate this movie because my feelings about it are all over the place. The beginning of the film is beautiful, but as it drags on it becomes tedious and painful to sit through. I heard many snores in the theater and more than a few people left. That being said I found myself thinking about this movie for weeks after I saw it. And the visuals are some the most beautiful I've seen in a long time.
Feb 27 TheMarkle
Feb 23 howler19 howler19
Feb 23 leemarvins
Feb 23 karlson karlson
70T5
as a movie, very well made, and as a documentary on the history of religion I appreciate it. But... when push comes to shove it seems to make a loud point that god exists after all and looks over our shoulder, which gives a bitter taste of propaganda for a concept that has prooved its danger over and over: religious splitting among the human kind, and every disaster that comes with it.
Feb 23 metehan13 metehan13
Feb 19 sid sid
Feb 19 Bachelor
Feb 19 monclivie monclivie
64T3
I couldn't care less about the faith stuff. I just wanted these white paraiso sellers to go home or drown. How about someone else shoving his universal truth in your ass, padre? By the way, this review is in Portuguese,
Feb 19 fredericg54 frederic_g54
7T6
We now return to INAPPROPRIATE MOMENTS DURING A SCREENING OF SILENCE: 1. Elderly woman 3 seats away from me dozing off after 40 minutes and snoring like an angry T-Rex 2. Ill-bred Neanderthal behind me masticating his popcorn like a starving camel 3. Devout agnostic (read: me) struggling to stifle a laugh as Jesus' voice is heard. Not even God could come up with such a perfectly ironic scenario.
Feb 19 Kavu Kavu
80T8
Quite heavy, but worth it. Stands a bit too still in the second act when Rodrigues is in Nagasaki but otherwise great, especially the shooting and directing.
Feb 19 markdaly
Feb 17 deniz.genc
76T7
Feb 17 ChrisPalm ChrisPalm
73T4
Its too dry and a long watch. I dont like movies about suffering and this is no exception
Feb 17 micmac micmac•
Feb 12 bybrt bybrt
50T3
Feb 12 mike365365 mike365365
60T5
It gets a bit repetitive. APOSTASIZE!
Feb 12 ArcticLendri
87T7
Feb 11 kk3thess kk3thess
Feb 11 ECR E.C.R.
Feb 11 auhasarderik auhasarderik
9T10
O my heart. Thank you Martin.
Feb 11 Niurna
Feb 03 pmpfe pmpfe
84T7
Feb 02 MontyCircus MontyCircus
20T2
If you see one 2016 film starring Andrew Garfield that deals with faith and convictions, make it Mel Gibson's "Hacksaw Ridge." The subject matter in "Silence" is very interesting and timely. But someone needs to cut a full hour from this to make it watchable.
Feb 02 jbaker11
84T8
Feb 02 Amiroliyaie Amiroliyaie
78T6
Feb 02 Asm_Nabil Asm Nabil
Feb 02 Kraven1905 Kraven1905
Feb 02 PUNQ
50T8
A strong 3rd act when Liam Neeson finally turns up and the reality hits in, but everything leading up to it wasn't really convincing. Too slow, long & hammy. I had expected better from Martin Scorsese. It was like he didn't really understand the cultural aspects of the story well enough. Perhaps he should stick to urban New York stories he loves so much instead of going abroad. I did mark out for the very brief cameo by pro-wrestler Yoshihiro Takayama! I can recognize those grunts a mile away.
Feb 02 pythag3
80T5
Feb 01 zwyk
Feb 01 wuigee
Feb 01 yoohoo883 yoohoo
70T4
As one reviewer put it, it is punishingly long and woefully unengaging, even in it's most climactic moments. It was absolutely gorgeous to see and the acting was strong, but this was too much of a passion project. It may be because I lack the devout ways of these priests, but I could not align myself with anyone and continually questioned their motivations. Garupe's internal battle was interesting to watch but overall this was too much. Possibly the only Scorsese flick I never care to see again.
Feb 01 WBadger WBadger
50T6
Jan 31 zomgmouse
Jan 31 Darren Darren
83T8
It's not an easy watch and there are a lot of things I'm unsure of w/r/t the politics but this is just Scorcese channeling Dreyer so it's gonna be good regardless.
Jan 30 rieux
77T7
Jan 30 Dally Dally
Jan 30 comepelicula comepelicula
75T8
I am a bit biased because of my catholic upbringing. This movie is a challenging experience; you can see the passion of Marty for this subject of faith and impossible decisions. The story is well told and the action is repetitive but what is important is the character development, this movie kept me thinking long after finishing it about pride and faith.
Jan 30 siweq86
Jan 28 jackvacton
80T5
Jan 28 KasperL KasperL
70T7
A little more insight into the main character's choice between martyrdom and defeat plus a lead actor with some more charisma could've made this amazing. It's a great-looking film, but I thought it was too repetitive and ultimately lacking in terms of a satisfying story arc. Although I often found myself less than engaged (truth be told... okay, I was bored), the fascinating details of the clash between devoted people did make it a journey which (albeit strenous) was ultimately worth taking.
Jan 28 muratkrks muratkrks
Jan 28 TheRealJ_Ro TheRealJ-Ro
80T7
Luckily I truly believe that you don't NEED to be a Christian to come to a place of enjoyment with this movie. The story is compelling. At times, brutal. I thought Driver and Garfield were excellent. The use of sound, from the piercing crescendos to the deafening silences, spectacularly done. And then there are a few elements here and there that are, quite frankly, silly. As a whole, however, the movie is not diminished by a few silly moments. This is well-crafted and definitely worth watching.
Jan 28 kubrickvari kubrickvari
55T4
Jan 27 Methouse Methouse
Jan 27 igormachete igormachete
38T1
Of course it's pretty and well made, but I haven't been so bored watching a movie for quite a while, I didn't care about any of the characters or what's happening to them at all. Maybe if you're a religious person you can get something from this movie, but for me any attempts at drama felt flat and I just couldn't care less.
Jan 27 mfkocaaslan m_fkocaaslan
Jan 27 cayh
Jan 27 zkas1225
69T6
Jan 27 HKi HKi
72T6
Jan 27 wokhedinn wokhedinn
30T3
I just want an entire three hour movie of Han Solo, Jr. swimming while Spiderman cries in agony with all his keg-casket makeup on. I'd probably have more emotional investment in that film.
Jan 27 cowfrappe cowfrappe
73T7
The film poses great questions, and the technical aspects are masterful, but the actors' inexplicable accent work throughout is inconsistent and confusing and ultimately very distracting.
Jan 26 kendellhouse
Jan 26 devinallen devin_allen
80T3
Jan 26 Icarus Icarus
88T9
I'm pretty fond of this, particularly the final act with Ferreira which complicates the fundamental binary that Rodrigues was using to interpret the world. I am also unsurprised at its chilly box office reception among a large target audience of Western Christians, people who associate their faith with victory and triumph. A film that links faith so closely with the suffering of Jesus and suggests that the very nature of the life of faith is persevering amid wickedness must seem foreign to them.
Jan 26 donmezsefa donmezsefa
50T3
Jan 26 bitterbill bitterbill
Jan 26 Seethruskin Seethruskin
5T8
Jan 26 Criminal5 Alex Watkins
8T7
I'm really annoyed. Not at the movie, but because Scorsese made an excellent film about a very serious subject which I'm having an impossible time criticizing in 500 characters or less. How am I supposed to tackle the silence of God, and the silence of his messengers on Earth, in a droll and pithy manner? Son of a bitch. I'll just say this: leave it to Scorsese to shift gears from his most manic film to possibly his most deeply serious, deliberate and introspective.
Jan 25 Chayeh Hipsteresque
86T8
Jan 25 hakanceken
85T6
Jan 25 fra paolo
71T9
Surprisingly unsentimental dissection of how and why the Many suffer physically as a result of the intellectual games of the Few, yet not without sympathy for the latter. Perhaps a little too much sympathy, though.
Jan 25 rumbeggar
69T7
Jan 25 Gody85 Gody85
82T10
Jan 25 okayfrog okayfrog
75T8
Silence is Scorsese's paean to mid-century Japanese cinema. Though it is a gorgeous film, it is best enjoyed at home as this is not a loud, bold and brash Scorsese film, but instead very muted. It is a lot of build-up with a very satisfactory payoff followed by what feels like a tacked-on conclusion that keeps this from being great. Looks to be going under-the-radar this year, but do check it out as it is very rewarding for cinephiles.
Jan 25 Bown Bown
Jan 25 RetinaScan RetinaScan
80T6
Jan 25 letskillrobots letskillrobots
31T10
Scorsese always does a great job of making the viewer feel like you're hanging out with the main character and he accomplishes here again. I really enjoyed feeling immersed in another culture as well. I would have likely to hear more of the back-and-forth conversations that don't really occur until the back hour or so, but I did appreciate all the different angles Scorsese comes at religion. It's not the same thought over-and-over, it's a million different looks at it.
Jan 25 teckgecko teckgecko
Jan 25 Tester Tester
66T7
Jan 24 VinegarBob VinegarBob
60T4
This is first and foremost a film of ideologies, and in that regard I found it utterly unappealing. We're obviously supposed to sympathise with the Jesuit priests here, but that's really difficult if you think that what they're trying to do is reprehensible, and it's equally difficult to care about their Japanese captors, who are behaving abominably. So even though Silence is masterfully directed and visually stunning, I struggled mightily to enjoy it. And Andrew Garfield didn't help.
Jan 24 BillyShears BillyShears
70T6
"I want to walk hand-in-hand with Jesus on a private beach for two./I want him to nibble on my ear and say 'I'm here for you."
Displaying 1 to 250 of 357 total rankings: Prev | Next