Solaris
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduYouTubeCriterion ChannelMax Amazon ChannelMax

Ratings and reviews:

1972
Romance, Drama
A sweaty space doctor romances the visage of an old flame projected by a mind-reading alien - this well-worn Star Trek episode becomes haunting and laborious in Tarkovsky's hands, a troubled procession of regret encapsulated in a dirge of a freeway drive. No matter how far you travel you cannot get away from the ex-wife am I right fellas? Hi-five, up top! God I'm gonna die alone
Major disappointment. Tarkovsky's visual mastery is rarely on display, and the science fiction elements are handled with such disdain that it borders on redundancy. More philosophical than the American remake, but endlessly less appealling, partly because Tarkovsky tries to arsty up a novel, he has himself simplified into a love story. Primarily though, it's the 'anti-pacing' that brings it down. There's a problem when a 15 minute ride on a Russian freeway isn't the most boring part of a film.
Inexcusably slow, needlessly vague, and, for a movie ostensibly about feelings, curiously emotionless. The runtime could have been cut in half with no loss to the story. Not nearly the unqualified masterpiece I was led to expect.
There's no doubt it's slooooooooowwww, and unfortunately it often looks less than impressive, but I found myself getting more and more absorbed by it, and it got more and more effective as it went on. My thoughts were provoked. Like Stalker, this'll need another look.
A film with 2 1/2 hours of stunning establishing shots that would all make wonderful dynamic wallpapers for my smartphone, tablet, or PlayStation 4. Tarkovsky has unwittingly provided humanity with the secret to immortality, as a single 2 1/2 hour viewing felt like it took approximately a thousand lifetimes.
Solaris is one of the most thought provoking films I have ever seen, as bizzare as that may sound, and I can even admit that. Solaris just clicked for me in the right way. The camerawork was excellent, but that is expected with Tarkovsky, the acting was top notch, and the plotline is definitely one to behold. Although slow moving, it is done gracefully reminiscent of that of Bergmans work. Solaris is truly one of the most remarkeable films I have ever seen. Thank You Tarkovsky!
The problem with iconoclasts is that they tend to be indulgent and their peers and colleagues are frightened to edit them. There are bits of brilliance surrounded by frustrating mess, and it never really came together with a wallop like Stalker did, for example.
Sue me, I like Soderbergh's better. Tark wastes too much time, and a lot of it just looks cheap. I'm sure he did the best he could with what he had, but that doesn't make it any better. Soderbergh is also apparently more faithful to the source material.
A brilliant film from Tarkovsky. The pacing is just right, as it allows opportunity for contemplation. Tarkovsky doesn't seem to be all that interested in this film as sci-fi. Instead, Tarkovsky wants to examine the emotional and spiritual realms of these characters, staking out a transformation for Kelvin that requires every minute. The film also improves on repeated viewings, as its poetic vision of the future slowly opens up to reveal both beauty and terror.
Interesting to see a consummate master fail so spectacularly. There is some gorgeous imagery here, and some striking moments, but as a cohesive whole, it's just not there. Stalker worked as a sci-fi because it didn't have to be. This has to be sci-fi, and Tarkovsky tries to abstract it unsuccessfully. To think this is put up there with 2001. No way.
Too long at the beginning (the end of the highway scene forced me to laugh), then absolutelly excelent.
Interesting but somewhat boring.
solaris is god, it's a woman and a child, it's truth and art, and finally it's the womb; it's the mirrors in which we seek to immortalise ourselves, if only we can be seen from the right angle. the film's about a man whose mirror's irreversibly cracked, and the ending haunts more than it heals because he's merely replaced it with another, a strategy nobody understands better than the cinephile. the vertigo comps land because this too reflects back on us the solipsism of film-watching.
You're dealing with a writer who's afraid to face the real world we live in today, whose philosophical musings are ultimately reflected in his novel (and film). The main character is sent millions of miles into space to the planet Solyaris, (one that communicates with human entities) in order to make peace with himself (*rolling my eyes*). The editing is awful aswell, filled with a slew of excruciatingly long takes. At least I liked the ending...
A shame I saw the (great in its own way) remake first, because the impact is lessened a bit this time around... which doesn't help in an almost 3-hour movie. Despite that, this is great filmmaking that offers some fascinating questions about love, life and the need to understand. The disheveled station and crew, together with the haunting drones/music, create a unique and powerful atmosphere. The experience was draining, in a good way.
I tried, believe me, I tried. Just couldn't bare with the incredibly slow pacing. The ideas, the shots, everything is perfect, its just so slow and long.
Solaris is held back by some inexcusably slow pacing and some irrelevant filler scenes. Dialogue consists too much of philosophical ramblings and thus feels like it comes out of a textbook rather than real human beings. Donatas Banionis's performance is emotionless in a story that, at its core, is anything but. One-third of Solaris being set in the same room with people watching TV makes it obvious to me that this was meant to be a book, and Tarkovsky doesn't convince otherwise.
Too deep for me, but not too slow. At worst, certain scenes, like driving through the city, invoked a "why am I watching this?" but not in an unpleasant way. At best, an enchanting, enjoyable experience.
The second-greatest science fiction film of all time. Anima is cinema, a cosmic dream whose source is never clear: peering into a Bruegel painting whose enchantment is intensified by BWV 639, do we see a glimpse of 16th-century Holland, or the interior world of the painter, or a fantasy of our own construction? Also, this foreshadows the confusion of mothers and wives that Tarkovsky will depict in MIRROR, and the pharmacology of shame and guilt that accompany it. How not to love this movie?
Not to say that anyone else is wrong in their assessment of this film as a classic - but I found this utterly unwatchable. It's rare that I have to give up on a film mid-way through but that's what happened with Solaris. Just dire exhaustingly slow pacing, mind-numbing dialogue scenes, a tenuous grip on plotting, muddy photography, and so on. In the hour or so that I sat through I did not find any element of filmmaking I could honestly recommend to others.
At the risk of sounding pretentious, this may be the most profoundly emotional movie I've seen. It can be trying on a viewer, but Tarkovsky fills the film with beautiful visuals, and its meditative nature allows the material to be soaked in, providing a great sense of emotional resonance once it's ended its surprising and impactful denouement.
Solid adaptation of Lem's masterpiece. Some great camerawork here. Glad I read the book first.
These spaceships look a lot more like I bet how they're really going to look in the future than the spaceships do in something like, say, _2001_, but it's always hard to stay awake during a Tarkovsky film
It didn't grab me in the way Stalker did, and it is in need of some more editing in the first half, but it's still great. It builds up an amazing atmosphere, and poses some great questions on grief and regret to the audience.
I'm probably the only one who thinks so, but this is a horror film. It is among the most disturbing works of film I've seen and had Lovecraft been alive to see this, he would have considered it an absolute masterpiece. This film is the Ocean of Solaris--that's why it's so long, that's why it drags on at times. Tarkovsky relentlessly probes the human psyche, overwhelming it completely.