Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduYouTube

1993
Comedy, Drama
Several yakuza from Tokyo are sent to Okinawa to help end a gang war. The war escalates and the Tokyo drifters decide to lay low at the beach. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduYouTube

What a curious little film. Absolutely not what I expected. What starts off as a slow-burning yakuza thriller turns into something else entirely - a study of the banality of yakuza life and the unravelling of one of its veteran servants. The whole feel of the film is odd, from the strangely static shootouts to the frequent tonal shifts. Kitano's underplaying contributes positively to the strange mood pervading the film. Definitely worth seeing.
Stylish, expertly crafted and shot with a truly classy and elegant score to underline the proceedings. The film can be dived into equal parts comedy/lyrical mediation upon life and also violent gangster film where life is all too quickly ended.
Like Fireworks, it's another twist on the gangster genre. I love the way kitano focuses on the mundane; it makes the gangster life seem like another shitty 9 to 5 job with asshole bosses. Very soon the film dissolves into something different, a vacation. The thugs goof off on a beach. For a long time. It's almost the whole movie. It's brilliant stuff, very endearing and innocent. The film goes back to bloody genre conventions, but begrudgingly. Very interesting picture.
Starts off pretty basic, but gets more and more endearing as the film progresses. The beach scenes are all great, fun stuff, and the movie does a stellar job transitioning from the goofy middle section to the violent scenes towards the end. Top notch crime film, with a welcome lack of glossy melodrama.
I didn't like Sonatine much when I first watched it. I kind of hated it. Since then, its kind of burrowed its way into my mind, and I've begun to appreciate it more and more. I did a rewatch not too long ago that really confirmed all my feelings for it. Sonatine is such a polarizing movie; not for the violence contained within, but because of how Kitano completely breaks down our expectations of a gangster movie. Fantastic direction and execution, and it makes me want to watch it again even now.

53 Collections including 31 Collaborative and 22 Public