1987
Sci-fi
Planet Spaceball's President Scroob sends Lord Dark Helmet to steal Planet Druidia's abundant supply of air to replenish their own, and only Lone Starr can stop them.

1987
Sci-fi

Rated 02 Mar 2023
Like a lot of Brooks' work, this is only occasionally as funny and clever as it thinks it is. Despite many of the jokes falling flat, the "you're looking at now, sir" routine still kills me.
Incredibly corny, incredibly dumb yet incredibly hilarious. A must see for any Star Wars fan. Probably my favorite John Candy role as well.
Rated 02 Aug 2014
By parodying Star Wars, Brooks ensured that the film would have longevity, even beyond his initial expectations; it is now his most popular film, despite talk by critics at the time that it would be quickly forgotten. It's not as clever as Blazing Saddles, Producers or Young Frankenstein, and the jokes are a little obvious, occasionally even desperate, but that's also part of its wayward appeal. Moranis is great as Lord Helmet, and the meta jokes are completely inspired.
Rated 06 Oct 2017
It's like a movie based on a few pages of a MAD Magazine. Bill Pullman is terrible and it makes me sad. Some of the meta gags land but a lot of the material is tame slapstick from shortly before Bob Saget started peddling high quality groin shots fast and cheap every week for ten years on cable - I have to watch Steve-O hammer a nail into his dick to get that same high now. My favorite bit was the use of the Lawrence of Arabia theme, that was the only 'subtle' joke I caught.
Rated 19 May 2021
Spaceballs: The Criticker Review “I bet she gives great helmet"
Probably my favorite Mel Brooks film, largely due to my Star Wars geekdom. I've seen this flick dozens of times and the stupid corny jokes always make me laugh.
I remember loving this as a kid. I also remember loving Ernest Goes to Camp, Count Chocula cereal, and Velveeta as a kid. After a rewatch, I realized even processed cheeze can spoil if you leave it on the shelf long enough.
Rated 19 Jun 2013
Although I didn't think much of it as a kid, the fond memories shared amongst my friends merited another viewing. Seen out of its time, it's a turtle amongst rabbits compared to the fast paced modern comedy. Brooks is an important figure in the history of farce, but 'Space Balls' isn't his best. It feels like being stuck at the wedding of Han and Leia, where a stuttering, unfunny Jewish Ben Kenobi is on page 3 of 90 in his speech of 'humorous anecdotes'.
Rated 10 Dec 2012
It hasn't aged well at all, but some of the gags and jokes are nevertheless timeless and hilarious.
Rated 14 Jan 2010
I remember watching this when I was eight or nine and thinking it was the funniest film ever, then rewatching it in my early 20's and stopping about half an hour in without a single laugh.
Rated 28 Oct 2008
OK, so this is only funny if you're a big fan of sci-fi (Star Wars in particular) or Mel Brooks, but when the jokes hit, they hit well. It's undeniably corny, immature, and sometimes the jokes are way too obvious. But hey, Mel sells it so well that it's forgivable. John Candy and Rick Moranis are highlights and there are plenty of memorable gags that make this worth a view.
Rated 27 Jul 2008
One of the funniest films ever to exist, even 30-plus years later. It's rare when a film can smartly entertain four-plus decades of moviegoers, but Mel Brooks can. I would be willing to call this Jon Candy's signature performance, may he rest in peace; Bill Pullman and Daphne Zuniga are hilarious, and this is the one and only time I am not annoyed by Joan Rivers' voice. Plus, good ol' Dom Deluise, who I could watch make breakfast, provides the voice of Pizza the Hut. Undoubtedly a perfect film.
Rated 20 Jun 2018
Spaceballs is probably the last great work from Mel Brooks as a director. Not everyone will appreciate the Star Wars spoofing going on. Surprisingly this is a well shot, contains shockingly amazing special effects work and a terrific cast. Outshined entirely by possible the best performance ever from Rick Moranis.
Rated 23 Oct 2011
Amazing that a Star Wars parody has become something of a classic of its own. Very much so pokes fun at Star Wars but also manages to be something kind of different along the way. I personally think it's hilarious. It isn't overt crude or trying too hard like most modern parody movies. Quotable and silly and you kind of need to watch it. Mel Brooks just gets it.
Rated 11 Apr 2009
Brooks' style is greatly appreciated in what could have (or should have) been a terrible film. Instead it comes out well with Brooks using his self aware humour to create something truly funny.
Rated 23 Mar 2014
Pizza the Hut is the either the most meta joke ever or just plain silly.
Rated 01 Sep 2009
Not everyone understands the humor of this movie... to me it's just hilarious and i can almost laugh the hole movie through. Of course it' silly, its supposed to be silly, you dummies ;)
Rated 17 Feb 2007
Poor.
Rated 25 Feb 2007
The best spoof movie ever made in my opinion and certainly one of Mel Brooks' best. Absolutely essential viewing for any comedy fan.
Rated 21 Jun 2014
A silly and somewhat clever parody of sci-fi culture. Funny gags and jokes throughout the entire thing with some of the more classic scores and scenes included. This could give a lesson to modern-day parodies.
Rated 01 Apr 2007
It's cheese-tastic!
Rated 22 Oct 2012
More proof that Mel Brooks needs funny writers to be funny. "Help me, Gene Wilder, you're my only hope".
I love Mel Brooks and found this comedy to be funny and worth watching again and again.
Not Mel Brooks' best effort, but a very enjoyable little movie. All the sci-fi films of the 70's/80's get their just desserts in this one, with good comedic performances from John Candy and Rick Moranis, among others.
Rated 03 Oct 2012
Rewatching this was not a good idea.
Rated 16 May 2010
Rewatch: Rarely funny and the jokes that do work they beat you over the head with till they're tired. The fact Lucas has one-upped Brooks by lampooning Star Wars himself in the prequels doesn't help. General Grievous - haha, George you're a card.
I didn't find this movie funny when I was 10 and I don't find it funny now. *shrug*
Sci Fi Farce worth seeing at least once. The commercials say, "Past performance does not garuntee future results." Such is the case with Mel Brooks. Good film, not great.
A not-bad spoof granted too high regard for an audience starved of sci-fi mockery.
Rick Moranis is the funniest part by far and has all the of the best lines. The rest of it is pretty hit-or-miss, and it's really not particularly good parody of Star Wars. I found Pizza the Hutt pretty legitimately gross as a kid.
Rated 12 Apr 2010
Yeah, you read that right 80 out of 100 for this baby. It's a GREAT spoof. I know this movie off by heart because Mel Brooks is damn awesome. The spoofs of today should take a long hard look at the awesome work Mel did.
Rated 31 May 2009
I absolutely loved this movie when I was a kid, but watching it all these years later and a stunning number of jokes fall flat. When you're a kid and something isn't funny, it's easier to assume that you just don't get it. As an adult, it's just not funny. Don't get me wrong, this movie is still very enjoyable and has some great jokes (the merchandising riffs hit hardest), but compared to Brooks' better works, this is a runt in the litter. It's good, it just could be much better.
Rated 31 Jul 2008
Easily Brooks's worst. This is actually less funny than the movie it satirizes. That's bad. A few clever ideas, but none of them translated into good jokes. I barely laughed at all.
Rated 11 Feb 2010
It's still funny because it's so over the top ridiculous and random with the gags.
Rated 27 Jul 2008
A good spoof, but not amazing. It has a bunch of great gags but some poor attempts. Still, the good works amazing and the bad is just bad, not horrible.
Rated 22 Sep 2018
It is undeniably funny but I get the feeling that if I didn't see Star Wars first the entire thing would be lost on me. This is disappointing as most of Brooks' films work even outside the context of their inspirations.
Rated 28 Apr 2009
Best spoof of sci-fi flicks I've ever seen.
Rated 03 Jan 2016
These parody movies when watched from a 30 years perspective really lose something; I don't think they were intended to last long.
Rated 22 Dec 2009
Not Brooks' best, but I can't deny that there are some nice gags.
Rated 27 Nov 2006
some great lines in this movie...and one of the first spoofs that i can recall...my names barf, im my own best friend, YOGURT...i hate YOGURT...she's gone from suck...to blow
Rated 17 Dec 2006
Some funny gags, but just as many or more unfunny gags.
Rated 22 Dec 2006
My favorite Mel Brooks film.
Rated 05 May 2013
Pretty fun, but the laughs are much too few and far between. The bar scene is great though.
Rated 13 Nov 2010
I saw this before SW. It kinda ruined that so called "the" "biggest" "sf" "fever" "ever" for me.
Rated 02 Mar 2009
I thought this movie was Star Wars for about 10 years.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
One of Mel Brooks better outings, perhaps his best without Gene Wilder. And it has great references that everyone knows.
Rated 09 Jun 2024
This is easily one of my favorite movies. It's one of the few movies that I never get tired of and still makes me legitimately laugh.
Rated 12 Jun 2014
Just watch it.
Rated 28 Feb 2009
The definitive Star Wars parody. Not hysterical. Not vulgar. Good-natured ridicule of the seriousness in the source material.
Rated 14 Oct 2008
Though a bit crude at times, this is one of Brooks' more consistently funny outings.
Rated 27 Apr 2007
Guilty pleasure...I love Mel Brooks, what can I say
Rated 06 Oct 2023
Entertaining but a little too heavy handed. A lot of the jokes feel a bit cheap.
Rated 13 Jun 2010
Hilarious movie. My favorite part is the fourth-wall-breaking Yogurt and his Spaceballs merchandise.
Rated 05 Oct 2014
Agreeable enough fun, but not one of Mel Brooks' more inspired efforts. Casting nebbish-y Rick Moranis as the Darth Vader-like character, though, was a fairly funny idea.
Rated 29 Mar 2015
3.01/5
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Highly unusual, but quite funny.
Rated 25 Jul 2007
loses some of it's laughs over time but still pretty silly fun.
Rated 02 Aug 2007
The most pointless and shallow humor I've seen in a long, long time. Didn't laugh once, and just about 2 or 3 occurrences were actually at all funny. Which is not good for a movie that spews out (bad and dimwitted) jokes every 5 seconds. It's embarrassing. Steve Oedekerk's Thumb Wars is about 100 times better or more, so go for that and avoid this. I'm surprised some people praise this movie, really, as you've honestly gotta be pretty stupid to find it funny.
Rated 12 Apr 2023
It's a fun little movie with some great jokes. Some doing quite land for me, like Pizza the Hut and the golden robot. But it's a good piss-take on Star Wars, which I always appreciate.
Rated 03 Jun 2010
I remember when I was younger I would quote scenes and dialog from this movie all the time and a lot of them still stick with me today. As a kid, and even as an adult, I absolutely love Star Wars and feel that this movie is pretty essential for anyone who has at least watched the original trilogy.
Rated 18 Jul 2009
Mhmm
Rated 05 Oct 2009
It came out about a decade too late to be what it could have been. Not really Brooks' best, but definitely not his worst.
One of the best - if not THE best movie parody. Mell Brooks is as his best with this film. You just have to see it!
Rated 04 Jul 2009
Silly but satisfying.
Rated 06 May 2014
true nostalgia, great fun
Rated 21 Nov 2010
May the schwarz be with this review.
It's no Blazing Saddles, but Spaceballs remains Brooks last truly hysterical film. It all went downhill from here.
One of my favourite movies of all time, and my 2nd favourite Mel Brooks film (check out 'Robin Hood Men in Tights'). This is a hilarious movie, very witty and well-scripted. I've been watching it for over 5 years and it's still funny.
Rated 17 Aug 2012
A disaster. Not even that it's Brooks' fault, Star Wars has become a joke. You can't parody a joke!
Rated 27 May 2015
One of the greatest parodies of all time. And without a doubt one of the funniest. So sit back and get ready to start laughing at ludicrous speed!
Rated 07 Aug 2011
Not the best Mel Brooks movie ever, but it's in the top 3. And considering that the 11 movies that Mel Brooks has written and directed are among the elite comedies of all time (and I don't care what anyone says, Dead and Loving It is also that good); that's saying something. I admit, after the 1000 viewing the jokes finally start getting a little tired. But just think how many years it'll take to get to that point. Like all Mel Brooks this is about a superb script and brilliant casting.
a classic... and john candy as a mog, bill pullman as the cool guy, and the most disgusting creature that ever existed eats himself to death.
Rated 13 Jun 2021
Rewatched. Took me 35 years but I finally got that afro comb joke - now it's the funniest thing in the movie.
Rated 03 Jan 2009
It's good enough in the fact that it's a Star Wars spoof. But it's really kinda dumb. Parts kinda feel like they were written by a kid. Yoda is called Yogurt... not really that clever.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
Funny sci-fi spoof. Not as good as it could have been.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
pretty funny, i guess, if you're 12.
Rated 13 Aug 2012
Arguably the greatest spoof movie ever made. Arguably more entertaining than the actual Star Wars movies. I know I'll likely get some hate for one of those comments, but it's true, I think it may be the best spoof movie of all time
Rated 30 Dec 2008
The only thing keeping this from being a bad movie is Mel Brooks and his collection of very funny actors being paid to hold the walls up.
Rated 23 Sep 2007
Grows on you the more you see it. The "now/then" exchange is a classic!
Rated 30 Sep 2007
This movie combines two of my favorite things: Mel Brooks and Star Wars! How can you miss?
Rated 21 Mar 2020
Seen: 2.
Rated 16 Mar 2011
Spaceballs is really, really, really over-rated. About 50% of the jokes don't land.
Rated 22 Mar 2011
Mel Brooks is at his finest with Spaceballs, a movie I once watched over five times in a row on a flight to Italy. Star Wars leaves perfect room of Brooks' satire, providing a savvy farce led by Rick Moranis as the incompetent Darth Helmet, Keep firing assholes!
Rated 30 Jul 2008
Saw this film when I was about 10 and thought it was hilarious, bought the film a couple of years ago and I realised I'd outgrown it a little, gets a bit silly if you like that type of thing.
Rated 21 Nov 2007
Mel Brook's last great comedy.
Rated 26 Nov 2007
Hilarious but stupid
Rated 16 Aug 2019
This movie is pretty hit or miss on its jokes (Naming a character Barf vs. the hilarious "now is happening now" bit).
Rated 16 Mar 2012
Yea, this is a very funny movie. Love it. Nothing better than laughing it up at Sci-Fi.
Rated 11 Oct 2014
Does not stand the test of time
Rated 08 Mar 2008
Just Mel Brooks.
Rated 16 Mar 2008
turned it off after about 5 minutes
Rated 13 Feb 2012
It ranks in Brooks' top 3. It's probably his corniest, but nobody does corny better. Some of the jokes are so great that you can't help but think of them when watching the real Star Wars.
Rated 05 Jan 2010
The movie is saved by the "combing" the desert scene.
Rated 16 Jun 2011
Don't let the title fool you: there is very little focus on testicles. I guess the moderately funny Yoghurt could be an ejaculate reference though.
Rated 09 May 2008
yeah man this film was great the best film to make you laugh just brought it on dvd wicked film
Rated 10 May 2008
Annoying more often than it's funny.
Rated 03 Jan 2010
This movie will make you laugh.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
Just terrible. I seriously don't understand what people see in it.
Rated 13 Jun 2008