Amazon VideoApple TVStarz Apple TV ChannelGoogle Play MoviesVuduStarz
Starz Amazon Channel

Ratings and reviews:

1994
Suspense/Thriller, Action
Probably the best of the "Die Hard in a _________" action subgenre, this is a slick, efficient, well-constructed thriller that manages to sustain its breakneck pace for its entire runtime. Great adrenaline-fueled entertainment.
One of the best action films. It's adrenalin-pumpingly fast-paced, with a premise as simple and pure as its title. Traven is no McClane (and Keanu no Bruce) but it almost matches the masterpiece that is 'Die Hard' for entertainment value. No need for the second ending, though.
Of the many "Die Hard on a ______" movies, this "Die Hard on a bus" thriller is the best, and one of the best action movies of the 90s. Dumb? Fuck you, I don't give a shit, I didn't watch it for cerebral stimulation. FAST CARS EXPLOSIONS GUNFIGHTS DECAPITATION ROGUE ELEVATORS COPS GONE BAD LEAPING INTO CARS LEAPING OUT OF CARS KEANU REEVES HOLY SHIT
It's so good that cut away shots to a speedometer are thrilling. The music sounds like Metal Gear Solid Sandra Bullock in this
Speed (aka 'The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down') just barely manages to overcome the awful acting, cliched dialogue and ludicrous stunts with some solid pacing to be mildy entertaining. What masochist casts Reeves and Bullock together anyway? I guess her annoying presence distracts from his 'acting'.
'Speed' is a cool, slick, high concept action movie, that aspires to nothing more than being good ol' fashioned entertainment - and it is all the better for it! Keanu Reeves' obvious throwback to Buster Keatonesque acting is especially impressive, in that... hold on... *Touches ear piece* ..oh.. I've just been told that it's how his face works - or rather: doesn't.
It's actually pretty entertaining and Dennis Hopper is quite good as usual. There's only so much you can do with everyone on a bus though.
This is NOT what Rosa Parks fought for.
ACTION KEANU DENNIS HOPPER JEFF DANIELS
Fun as it is, you've got to wonder about a director who saw Keanu Reeves' "delivery" and thought, "Yeah, that'll do, I don't think anyone will think that's laughably wooden." Seriously, when he sees Sandra strapped up to a bomb the best he can come up with is "Oh no" delivered in a manner which suggests he didn't quite grasp the nature of the 'explodey things bad' aspect of his job as a BOMB DISPOSAL OFFICER. Also contains some one-liners that make Arnie look like Noel Coward. Still fun though.
"Popquiz, hotshot!" A masterpiece of its genre, even if that genre is completely retarded. Hopper is just all kinds of fun as the diabolical villain, and the movie is unrelenting in its high intensity action. Right off the hop it grabs you by the throat with a great elevator sequence that I always forget about when thinking back on the movie. Bullock is bollocks, but Keanu is just right for a role like this. It's incredibly stupid, but undeniably entertaining.
I'm smarter than you. Oh yeah...I'm taller than you. WHAT?!? Nice come back.
This is one of the better movies of not just Keanu's career, but also the 90's. It's simplistic, straight to the point, and just some dumb fun. It also so happens to co-star Sandra Bullocks and Dennis Hopper? Okay, this movie totally gets what it is and that's what makes it better than most movies in its own sub genre of cheesy action movies. It's the definition of "catching lightning in a bottle" it's just unfortunate that they actually tried turning this into a film franchise.
One of the first breath-takers I've ever seen. It helped re-define the action flik.
This is great thriller, nothing more, nothing less. The plot is fantastic, and it does feature a really charismatic performance from Sandra Bullock.
One of my favorite action movies; a ridiculous, over-the-top, thinly characterized... and very, very fun movie. The movie constantly throws complications and conflicts into the mix, and they're all pulse-pounding. Great stuff!
Despite having the title Speed, it has the slowest opening credits scene. In 1994, Jeff Daniels did this and Dumb & Dumber, and both characters had the same name. I'd like to think it's all a part of an extended universe. As a Canadian, I have no idea what 50mph is, so I had to look it up.
(after repeat viewings) There are two types of people in this world: those who like 'Speed', and those who don't like 'Speed'. So you know, you can either be a dick about it and complain about how ridiculous this movie gets, or you can just enjoy the immensely exhilarating ride this high-concept actioner has to offer. "You're fired, everybody's fucking fired!". Good times.
Could've been a little dumber
There's more to shooting great action than blowing things up and shaking the camera around; Speed remains one of the best directed and constructed pieces of pure action put together.
Characters are cheesy and half-dimensional, yes, but this is one of the most accomplished action films ever made. It manages to be all the things that the ad blurbs say about other movies: a shot of adrenalin, a sugar rush, etc. I'm almost always disappointed by movies w/ those ads but this one manages to deliver exactly that, and nothing more and - this is key- nothing less. Don't be fooled: this isn't a "more is more" action flick. It's a carefully crafted, perfectly-timed locomotive.
You may've heard SPEED described as DIE HARD on a bus, and that's mostly true, but what you don't know about SPEED is that it's also the better movie. Leaner, faster, better scripted (not to mention less sadistic) -- with one ingenious sequence following another, and a winning, star-making performance by Keanu Reeves (yes, you read that right). Along with TERMINATOR 2, SPEED is the most exhilarating pure action movie of the 90s.
CANS! IT WAS JUST CANS!
This is usually not my style, but I know we're all thinking it. Woman driver.
Pop quiz hotshot: I don't remember anything else