2010
Drama, Sci-fi
Elsa and Clive, two young rebellious scientists, defy legal and ethical boundaries and forge ahead with an experiment: splicing together human and animal DNA to create a new organism.

A big punch with no follow-through. The first two acts are creepy, effective, and border on fascinating, peaking in a BRILLIANTLY twisted scene that, despite my lukewarm overall reaction, will go down as one of my favorite film moments of 2010. I couldn't believe they "went there." You'll know it when you see it. Unfortunately, it then immediately descends into a schlocky and tepid monster movie. Still though, I'm looking forward to seeing what Vincenzo Natali tries next.
I think if you go in expecting horror you'll be disappointed. It's a suspenseful sci-fi flick. This is definitely daring and I was interested the entire time. I thought it dragged for a few minutes total but that's nothing. The camera work was fantastic, the story intriguing. Gory but not too gory (so it's effective). And the things I thought were stupid at I watched it, I could quickly rationalize and so the movie is very cohesive (even the strange parts). The creature was great as well.
Fails to make an insightful comment about the moral repercussions of careless ambition, compared to Cronenberg's 'The Fly'. The first hour does pack some playful character interaction but the film gets progressively worse as Polley's character becomes an annoying jealous nag and Brody makes love to a horny mutant. The film eventually became a comedy. A missed opportunity, at least I found myself laughing quite a lot towards the end.
Quite an enjoyable sci-fi thriller with strong leads and an intriguing storyline with clever psychological connotations. This is essentially a film about a relationship - the scientific breakthrough is the instigator that puts the ball rolling, eventually driving the love story to it's breaking point.
"Splice" is a movie I would not care to see again solely because its execution is undeniably effective. The film gave me an unsettling sense of queasiness from the moment Dren is created. The story intensifies slowly, breaking boundaries, crossing lines, and hitting you repeatedly in the gut. The pacing may hold it back, as well as stupid 'smart' characters, but the actors hold it together, and ultimately Vincenzo Natali provides a shocking forewarning not to take science too far.
Avg Percentile 34.51% from 1921 total ratings