Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduYouTubeCriterion Channel
Max Amazon Channel
Max

1979
Drama, Sci-fi
Near a gray and unnamed city is The Zone, an alien place guarded by barbed wire and soldiers.
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduYouTubeCriterion Channel
Alamo on Demand
Max Amazon Channel
Max

Look. OK. I mean... listen. I've seen two Tarkovsky movies (this and Solaris), and while I appreciate the craft involved and I like some of the story elements and ideas, I am mostly bored into stupefaction. I'm sorry, I guess, or whatever, but this is *maybe* 45 minutes of content stretched out over 2.5 hours. (Anyone who calls this "brisk" is delusional.) If you can watch this and feel engaged, drawn into the contemplative world Tarkovsky creates, more power to ya, but this ain't for me.
A mysterious and quiet film, with incredible scenery. The atmosphere in this is remarkable, with some amazing photography and camera work. It's difficult to follow everything that's said in the film, but the emotional impact from the atmosphere made up for this. I'll probably have to watch Stalker a few more times to get a firm understanding, but what I've managed to learn so far was quite enlightening. Stalker has a grand sense of scale to it, but it's the intimacy that remains memorable.
Amazingly dense, a rich and thoughtful work of philosophy and religion. It will take repeated viewings for me to mine all of the meaning out of it, I'm certain that I've only scratched the surface. Also, the photography and use of locations is truly stunning.
Perfect direction by Tarkovsky with fascinating and beautiful scenery. This is a film about man's desire or need for peace and understanding, and perhaps, for meaning if it's a means to that end. By the end of the two and a half hours (don't worry, it's brisk), we realize that the answers lie not in money and power or in escape or in religion, but within ourselves. After seeing this film, there's no question I'm a different cinephile and who knows, maybe a different person.
I finally watched this. I am now a proper film student. Well done me. Ok so let's go: "captivating", "meditative" "foreshadowing", "Tjernobyl", "Russian Kubrick", "Repeat viewings", "fantastic cinematography", "atmosphere", "enegmatic", "will probably bump up to 99 after more viewings". Review done...now back to my cubicle.

Submitted byprebralPrebral on 18 Mar 2006