Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Star-Wars-Episode-I

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

1999
Sci-fi, Fantasy
When the evil Trade Federation plots to take over the peaceful planet of Naboo, Jedi warrior Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi embark on an amazing adventure to save the planet.
Amazon VideoApple TVDisney PlusGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store
TNT
TBS
tru TV

I can't even imagine how furious I would be if I grew up when the originals came out to go into a theater to see this shit. This movie is beyond awful. Jar Jar Binks? What the fuck is Lucas thinking? This is the movie that EVERYONE wanted to get made and Lucas failed on every single level. This movie is a disgrace to not only Star Wars fans but movie fans in general. A 0 just for how excited I was and how much of a let down this was.
This is what happens when you let elderly autistic billionaires make movies.
Has some of the absolute worst dialog I've ever seen in a film. Whoever wrote this must have only the vaguest theoretical knowledge of what verbal interactions are like. Its horrid dialog overshadows everything else, and with other god-awful elements thrown in such as a general lack of logic, Jar-Jar Binks, and so on, the decent special effects and, at least on paper, stellar cast can't come close to saving it. This film is the biggest letdown of modern cinema.
Age the kid up and scrap Binks and this could have been cookin'. It's tonally off as is - a kid-friendly movie about trade disputes, corrupt bureaucracy, and slavery? Key strengths go unused - Neeson's high talent is tied behind his back as he's constantly tasked to play off CG aliens while the wonderfully designed Maul exists for about three minutes total. I actually find the much-labored chariot/drag race scene completely satisfying as I've always had a fondness for desert racing culture.
Going back to the prequel trilogy after the sequel trilogy is super fucked up. There is an actual storyline we build on in the three (I'm not saying it's a good story!) The crushing disappointment of seeing this opening weekend has long faded, and the stupid George changes I dont even care anymore (ghoulish Yoda CGI over the puppet), we had no clue just how dirty this franchise was going to be done later. No movie before or since has used yippee with such reckless abandon.
Avg Percentile 32.92% from 19023 total ratings