Step Brothers
Step-Brothers
Step-Brothers

Step Brothers

2008
Two spoiled guys (Ferrell and Reilly) become competitive stepbrothers after their single parents get hitched.
Amazon Prime VideoAmazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

I honestly prefer Will Ferrell in PG movies rather than R due to his ability to come up with hilarious alternatives to swearing. This movie was far more direct, crass and felt like it was being vulgar simply for the sake of being vulgar. Still I laughed, admittedly far more than I should have, but then I'm a sucker for Will Ferrell. Bonus points for Ferrell and Reilly's slow motion walk to their job interview as they push and bully everyone else around them.
Okay, while I don't see why this is getting so much praise, I can definitely see why so many of my friends liked it so much. Step Brothers may have some flimsy spots, and while it's pretty crude, Farrell and Riley are absolutely great to watch together. Some of the gags are freakin' hilarious. On a side note, I think Will Ferrell is a very talented singer.
The art of the delivery. Sure, excessive cursing is a shallow comedic crutch but the *way* that Mary Steenburger cries out "What the fucking fuck" makes me forget that and submit to laughter.
Humorous, but not nearly as good as it could have been, considering the talent.
The content promised so much more and I was lead to believe this was one of the funniest movies I'd ever see. There were a few chuckles, but I was completely underwhelmed. Reilly is the lone star here, I believe. Ferrell's performance just didn't deliver the punch I expected and most lines felt constantly forced and uncomfortable. Predictable, crude and dumb. With the exception of Reilly and Mary Steenburgen, all parties were trying too hard to force the funny instead of just letting it happen.

28 Collections including 12 Collaborative and 16 Public