Superman II

1980
Sci-fi
Fantasy

Rated 17 Sep 2020
The movie that definitively proves that three Kryptonians will never be able to beat one Kryptonian.
Rated 10 Feb 2016
The Richard Donner Cut is great. This version is embarassing.
Superman and Superman II were written as a single film before they realized that there was too much material to make it as one. Superman II is I think a little better than the first film with more comic style action and drama. Perhaps also, the actors were able to settle into the roles a little easier having gone through it before.
One of the two memorable superman movies. This one may be the best out of the series.
Rated 09 Feb 2014
40 points for nostalgia. 39 for the movie itself. After finally watching the Donner cut, I have to admit this isn't very good filmmaking; Clark Kent is uncomfortably awkward, Lois Lane is inexplicably angry, and Lex Luthor is cornier than ever. Anybody else notice Miss Stetsmaucher is the original Harley Quinn?
Campy and dated sequel that's embarrassing to watch. Even when the heroes and villains try to get serious, it's undermined by the background characters still acting like they wandered off the set of "Airplane!".
Rated 14 Feb 2012
Pretty dumb. Supes seems to have no trouble almost having Louis drown to protect his identity, yet he reveals himself 5 minutes later. He sacrifices his powers to- oh never mind, he has them back 5 minutes later. And so on. Sure, Zod is pretty boss, but everything else is annoying, unfunny and corny. Especially Clark Kent's gosh-darn goofyness, painful to watch. Oh, and how the hell did Louis and Clark get home from the North Goddamn Pole without superpowers?
Rated 09 Dec 2006
BOOOOO!!
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Not bad.
Rubbish superhero movie.
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
Kneel before Zod! I really enjoy this movie. Not so much for its cinematic value, but because that its just a fun watch.
Rated 14 Apr 2017
An improvement on Superman: The Movie, but with a big problem at the core: the idea that Superman must stop being Superman to love Lois, the idea that you have to stop being special to be truly human. It's toxic and arbitrary and messes with all of the cool, interesting parts of the movie.
I prefer this to the original due to the exploration of Superman's desire for a simple human life (which is an interesting theme further developed in the Spider-man series) and also to the presence of viable villains who can actually hurt Superman without resorting to the contrived Kryptonite device. I'm looking forward to seeing Donner's cut.
Rated 22 Jun 2013
It's super duper fun! *Strangles Gene Shalit with a tattered cape*
Rated 09 Feb 2017
It had a lot of potential, but for the most part it squanders that by dropping the ball on the actual character interactions. For example, Louis is apparently the dumbest woman alive. Most people seem to only remember Terence Stamp's performance, which is delightful in its scenery chewing, but there's not much here beyond that. The finale is at least a little better than Snyder's smash-fest take on the same fight.
Rated 23 Sep 2008
Still the best Superman movie! So awesome, man I should go watch it right now!
Rated 12 Nov 2009
What I liked about the first film seemed like it was much better in this film. This was a bit more of a fast paced very action oriented movie. I thought that the battle between the three villains and Superman was a classic. It was large in scope and it looked good using dated special effects. I even liked the ending with Lex Luthor getting involved that poisonous snake. Christopher Reeve really owns the Superman role and really seems to get it. Others have done well with but it is Reeve's.
Rated 24 Feb 2010
So good in so many ways. Christopher Reeve is a stud in this film. Dude's like 6'4''! I remember being so scared of the three exiled Krytonians when I was little. I modeled many of my G.I. Joe battles after that idea.
Rated 31 Mar 2014
About an hour in, I realized the movie had no actual narrative. Just footage cobbled together, which I guess was better than five minutes of terrible comedy involving super-breath. A lot of the character motivations make no sense too. Superman has to give up his powers... why? Fuck the ending, too. Ugh. Perhaps the Richard Donner cut is much better.
Rated 05 Dec 2006
The best Superman movie. Zod is awesome, and Supes' desire to be a regular Joe holds the movie together nicely.
Rated 02 Jan 2007
The first sequel to Richard Donner's Superman The Movie doesn't do quite as well as the first. The film falls flat in a couple of places but it is still an enjoyable film with Reeves once again filling Superman's tights admirably and Terence Stamp is wonderful as the evil Zod (Note: This is a review of the original version as directed by Richard Lester. I've recently seen the Richard Donner Cut of Superman II and it is a MUCH better movie)
Rated 16 Feb 2007
Kneal before Terrence Stamp ... I mean, Zod. (Actually, I think I was right the first time).
Rated 05 Mar 2007
Good in parts - Stamp is awesome as Zod and the action scenes are well done, but marred by unfortunate stupidity (Cellophane S? Amnesia Kiss? Extremely petty revenge on a bully?) likely courtesy of Richard lester who would go on to ruin Superman 3.
Rated 16 Jul 2017
Next to the dated visuals, there's a few very well realized main action scenes. For all the unintentionally amusing or cringy moments, there's as many genuinely funny ones. And even if "Superman II" cannot quite recover from one or two stupid plot devices (especially the whole 'Superman-losing-his-powers' thing), it offers enough campy entertainment in return.
Rated 13 Jan 2014
I like a lot of this film but the really shitty pacing and the increasingly camp tone (this is likely due to Lester footage, right?) drag it down so much. While the first Superman film got away with a slower pace it made up for it in emotional beats. This time the emotion just isn't there as often, and the scenes of Zod et al are often too long, despite the effects-showcase style meaning to impress. Some good bits, but more noticeable bad bits. I'll need to seek out the Donner cut.
Rated 26 May 2007
Who hasn't seen this?
Rated 07 Jun 2007
The Superman/Lois storyline is the most interesting part of this movie, and it's really good. Reeve does a great job. The General Zod and co. parts are a little weak, however. All the villains are pretty goofy.
Rated 13 Jun 2007
all the superman movies are terrible
Rated 06 Jul 2007
Not as long and dull as the first.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
Not bad. Certainly better than the later ones.
Rated 12 Mar 2024
Reeve is good, but it's ridiculously cartoon-y.
Rated 09 Jan 2014
gotta love the Christopher Reeves films, still retains all the campy goodness from the first film, plus the appearance of Zod means theres a bit more action.
One of the most half-assed movies ever made.
Kneel before Zod!
Rated 11 Dec 2023
This movie ... I mostly just hate. Everything I dislike about the first film is amplified tenfold. It makes no sense. Everybody is an annoying stereotype. I like Terence Stamp. He's not exactly in a different movie since he's playing the pulpiest of villains who's motives are completely nonsensical, but somehow he emerges from this film without looking like a fool.
Despite not being as iconic as its predecessor, it's especially impressive how hard this movie tries to please the crowd. The superior element of the story has nothing to do with the silly villains; it's the romance between Superman and Lois that remains endearing and memorable. The climax, however, is the kind of fun showdown you'd find in the comics of the era that I adore. I love that Fortress of Solitude setting!
Kneel before Zod, muthafukka!
Although sillier than the first, Superman II still has a good story, and it's not so wacky that the camp overshadows the quality. Some absurd new powers foreshadow the zaniness of the further sequels, but this one is still good, and a worthy sequel to the excellence that is the 1978 title. Really good!
Rated 21 Aug 2023
Good, but not as good as the first. The effects seemed reeeally dated this time out, compared to the first one that charmed. Zod and co are very memorable villains. Even though it's not a long movie, it felt very long, because the pace of the movie was often so slow.
Until Spiderman, this was my favoite superhero film. This sequal outshines the original, which was also very good. Margot Kidder wil always be Lois Lane. Go see this movie before seeing Superman Returns.
I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid, but I remember it frightened me.
Wasn't entertaining when I was 8.
The picture speaks for itself.
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
Rated 19 Feb 2023
Horrible special effects, even for 1980 the practical effects should have been a bit tighter.
Rated 18 Jun 2013
This is everything I could want from a sequel: the stakes are higher, the villains (who were introduced in the first part) are stronger, Superman's personal problems are bigger and the action is better and more badass. It's pretty silly in terms of slapstick humor, and maybe it's too silly for some, but for me it worked perfectly.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
kneel before zod! Fantastically cool.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
ok
Rated 24 Aug 2007
Kneel before Zod! Doesn't hold up well...
Rated 16 Sep 2007
solid fun.
Rated 08 Oct 2007
Good, but the first one is better, it has a more prepared script.
Rated 27 Mar 2021
Superman II is a little bit clunky in its story-telling, and Donner's original vision was far superior, but it at least still feels much more complete as a movie, and the appropriate word here is "cinematic", which the Donner Cut feels like a passion project, which is really interesting to watch, but still an incomplete project - so, I do prefer this movie over that....HOWEVER. The end Battle sequence in the fortress? OMG that's not good.
Rated 28 Nov 2016
Kinda corny and spends a lot of time running around only to end up right where it started. Mildly and harmlessly entertaining, I guess. Lex Luthor was just annoying.
Rated 09 Jun 2013
Is Superman II better than the first film? Well, it's not as fresh, but it is a bigger version of a similar story. I guess that makes it better, although since it doesn't have to do the laborious job of establishing the character's origin, it had the easier job. I can definitely appreciate it in similar ways to the first chapter, especially because it comes across as a continuation of that film's plot rather than being just a sequel. If you enjoyed the first one, you'll like this one as well.
Rated 28 Oct 2007
This one hasn't aged well. The potential of what could've been in a marriage between Luthor and Zod is undone by mostly comic relief and too much focus on the Superman-Lois Lane relationship. There's no real reason given as to why Superman and Lois Lane can't be together and did Superman mindwipe her at the end? wtf!?
Rated 13 Nov 2007
Another chapter in the all time great series of Superman films!
Rated 16 Nov 2007
highly entertaining, if silly. it's christopher reeve!
Rated 13 Jan 2008
As superhero films goes this isn't bad. It's got a good slice of revenge and a few twists along the way. Hammed up - but at least it was deliberate.
Rated 31 Jan 2008
If only superman doesn't throw the "S" from his shirt at someone... this could have been a truly great movie.
Rated 26 Nov 2020
Top badass moment? Zod needs his own movie; he’s wasted in that floaty square thing. After we see the first film again, we have to watch Superman blundering around fixing a problem he caused in the first place, which he finally solves by throwing a bit of polythene about, kissing his annoying girlfriend and reversing an irreversible decision that pissed his mum off; none of which is explained. And it's weird, but I really fancy a Coke and a Marlboro now. No cats, chainsaws or decapitations.
Rated 12 Nov 2016
B
Rated 13 May 2013
Superman II is another very fun superhero movie, though maybe slightly less fun than its predecessor. Christopher Reeves is, of course, perfect again. And this movie brings in some really great story concepts.
Rated 09 May 2008
Keeps the same mood and feel of the original while managing to add in more menacing villains that are a real threat to Superman himself. Great follow-up.
Rated 13 May 2008
Yah! Superman, I dunno, I was never a huge fan of the original Superman movies.
Rated 21 Jun 2008
Son of Jor-El, KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! Arguably better than Superman: The Movie. One of my all-time favorites, and the Richard Donner cut of the film is even better than the original release version of Superman II.
Rated 30 Jun 2008
Good movie, yep, goooooood movie
Rated 06 Aug 2008
Prá época ate q mto bom.
Rated 14 Feb 2016
Very overrated film.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
This is a great sequel to the first movie. The 'clash of the titans' concept works well here.
Rated 26 Oct 2008
the director cut is miles above what was released in the theaters.
Rated 24 Dec 2008
All the reasons to be a great film, but let down by Richard Lester who should never direct Superman movies! Cop outs a plenty, and awful slapstick humour in parts.
Rated 08 Feb 2009
mixed feelings
Rated 11 Feb 2009
Kneel before Zod!!!
Rated 06 Jun 2020
Cut above
Rated 24 Mar 2013
Prior to watching this, I didn't have high hopes that this film will improve upon the weaknesses of the original but by the end, I couldn't believe how amazing it was. A brilliantly acted movie with a far better story, better directed resulting in a far more consistent paced and toned film. A truly humorous and memorable superhero movie, that I believe until 2005 when Nolan's Batman came, was the best super-hero movie ever
Rated 19 Jul 2009
Such a heartwarming movie. Christopher Reeve IS Superman.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
The superhero movie by which all others were judged, until Spider-Man 2 came along. The difference between this and the original? General Zod, played with sneering confidence by Terence Stamp.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Even better than the first one!
Rated 01 Aug 2009
A generally high class sequel. Obviously showing its age now, but Reeves is just perfect.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
The Richard Donner cut is probably the best way to watch this movie
Rated 14 May 2020
That third act just kills me.
Rated 01 Oct 2015
Superman II, even less super. I didn't really enjoy this movie. It just felt like a bland sequel to a slightly bland original movie. I didn't like the General Zod story. Once again it made the bad guys a little too cartoony having Zod think planet Earth was called Hoosten (mispronouncing Houston). The whole movie felt like the first but even in a worse way. The movie was fine,but it definitely wasn't good. I still like Reeve and still hate Kidder...
Rated 03 Mar 2013
liked this one quite a bit better than the first. I found it more entertaining with less boring parts and more moments that stuck out as awesome. The villians were cool and made for great fight scenes as well as a great sci fi scene.
Rated 26 Nov 2009
Pure fun.
Rated 04 Dec 2009
Richard Donner cut is the way to go. Zod is such a badass character.
Rated 14 Dec 2009
"Kneel to Zod!" I loved how they explored the inter-personal problems that come with being invincible and all-powerful.
Rated 25 May 2018
Superman: The Movie is such a good film, its a shame Richard Donner got kicked out because with him gone, the character work, motivations, and relationships that made the first film so great are traded for Dick Lester's cheap laughs. There are good moments but the more action-centric plot feels the weight of the dated effects and the arcs undergone feel rather pointless as the characters all end exactly where they started.
Rated 09 Aug 2017
It's better than the first one, probably thanks to an increased focus on the characters' relationships and a more believable threat. Nevertheless, it also feels dated.
Rated 13 Mar 2014
Rated 24 Sep 2010
It's hokey and has some odd choices but I still love it. Kneel!
Rated 28 Sep 2010
One of the very few movie sequels that is better than the original, thanks to the droll touches supplied by Lester.
Rated 26 Oct 2010
That's funny. I've never seen garbage eat garbage before.
Rated 28 Feb 2011
Finally, a set of villains that can actually challenge Superman. Great action and good resolution.
Rated 27 Mar 2011
Good-natured enough, with some fun scenes.
Rated 18 May 2018
It is a certain step down from the original. No question. However given the story of how it came together, things could be far worse. The villains are entertaining and Christopher Reeve is as charming as ever. It just meanders a little too much and relies a little to heavily on the minimal chemistry between the romantic leads.
Rated 11 Jan 2018
This movie is a joke, it looks like shit and the writing is garbage
Rated 18 May 2011
This troubled first sequel was mostly filmed back to back with part one but much of it was reshot by Lester after a dispute between original director Donner and producers Alexander and Ilya Salkind. Marlon Brando was also written out and comedy was played up even more. Like the original, this is full of ups and downs but is well served by its cast and has a surprisingly mean-spirited streak that makes for some surprising plot twists.
Rated 19 Aug 2011
When Zod is on screen its good and the Clark and lois bits are a decent romance but superman losing his powers for her is nonsense and obv he just gets them back anyway. Hackman goes into full cartoon character mode and his ham brings the movie down, along with all the terrible humor (i particularly hate the guy getting blown away on rollerskates during the epic city battle).
Rated 16 Jun 2012