Superman III

Sci-fi
Avg Percentile 24% from 2007 total ratings

(2007)
Rated 26 Jun 2013
Superman doing petty dick things should've been the bulk of this. Pretty boring whenever it cuts to WHO GIVES A SHIT Robert Vaughn and even Richard Pryor. Hey Richard Lester, don't throw in stupid , weird, European comedy garbage in this. The traffic lights started fighting which caused an inner battle with myself over if I should turn this nonsense off, but then it stopped and Superman saved me/
Rated 28 Sep 2010
Another sequel like this and the Man of Steel's enemies won't need Kryptonite to finish him off.
Rated 30 Mar 2019
Making a movie around Pryor, a comic star at the time, makes sense. Unfortunately, although the script is not the plothole-ridden mess that part 4 is, it can't include Pryor in any way that works. His adult humor can't exist here & so we get jokes only small children would enjoy. He's also not really a villain so none of the plots involve lives at stake. Even "Evil" Supes isn't really. The only thing that works are the romantic scenes w/ O'Toole. She highlights how superficial Lois really is.
Rated 09 May 2008
At one point Clark Kent fights Superman because they split into two for no reason. Neither one seems to have any understanding of the other's powers even though they are THE SAME PERSON. This scene basically sums up the movie, which is funny enough to pass the time so long as you've been drinking.
Rated 13 Jun 2008
Continues steadily declining along the path Superman II set for it. It's ok to start out, but.. about 30 minutes in the plot becomes ludicrous, and the semi-enjoyable Clark Kent humor disappears. For the rest of the film it wanders between terrible and cheesy. Only barely managed to watch to the end. It's not really the fault of the actors (Christopher Reeve is still great), but it suffers from the most misguided writing/directing I've ever seen. Ahead of it's time, maybe, but come on.
Rated 25 Dec 2014
Why do I enjoy Superman III leaps and bounds more than II? Because who would've ever seen it coming? A '30s-style slapstick comedy but with Superman in it. And when Richard Pryor isn't stealing the show, Superman and Kent are playing out a Jekyll and Hyde scenario. To me, the level of camp could hardly compete with the fresh creative ambition evident from as early as the opening title sequence. My only complaint is that Gene Wilder wasn't in Vaughn's part.
Rated 17 Jun 2013
Superman franchise looses Donner and get camp treatment by Lester. This was a bad idea on paper, and execution of it is even worse. There isn't one funny scene, even though they tried so hard to make it fun. Pryor is a wreck.
Rated 16 Oct 2008
The idea of Superman' split personality actually has some promise, but the overall sillyness of this movie doesn't work in its favor, nor does robot lady at the end.
Rated 12 Nov 2016
D-
Rated 22 Mar 2017
Yikes. And I thought Richard Lester's campiness was distracting in the *second* movie. Here it's just painful. Nothing about this works apart from Christopher Reeve, and even he can only do so much with the nonsensical script and unfunny, slapstick-y direction. Ross Webster is a poor substitute for Lex Luthor, Richard Pryor's character is unbelievably irritating, and Margot Kidder gets two short scenes. Super skippable.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
Disappointing Superman film. Made enough money to justify even worse Superman IV.
Rated 08 Dec 2018
There are some very interesting ideas in this one, and I actually think they should remake this storyline now that DC's gone dark. The execution is so hokey, though, with so much cheap and easy humor. Superman and Richard Pryor's characters only connect ever so slightly and I miss Richard Donner a little bit.
Rated 23 Apr 2019
Swing-for-the-fences odd duck is a bizarre entry in the Reeve SUPERMAN series - but there is much to enjoy if you can accept it as comic book camp intermixed with very British slapstick (the opening set piece, replete with an expert pie-in-the-face gag from Reeve, is masterful); Vaughn's straight-man villain meshes well with Pryor's buffoonery, and O'Toole makes for a very pleasing romantic interest for Reeve (highlighted by their amusing double speak interplay).
Rated 14 Nov 2010
I don't think anybody in this movie understands how computers work.
Rated 19 Aug 2011
Superman 3, in which Lester assumes that what made Superman 2 entertaining was camp and crappy humor so he turns those up to 11 and gives more attention to Pryor in poorly written comedy than to superman. It drags on and on. Dickhead superman was great, Reeve still is perfect in all aspects of the role.
Rated 19 Feb 2023
Probably only good if you didn't care for the first two all that much (and I just thought those were okay so this was more of the same for me).
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Poor sequel.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Bad sequel. Richard Pryor is not helping.
Richard Pryor is usually very funny, but this is lame. Awful jokes and effects, and "evil" Superman is pretty stupid.
Rated 13 May 2010
Oh my goodness, how bad can it get? Yes, it could be the fourth film...
Rated 29 Mar 2011
Superman takes a nosedive with this outing.
Rated 30 Jun 2007
Not as bad as its reputation, but the bad stuff is so very bad that it irreparably damages what could have been a fine entry in the series. Superman's battle against himself in a symbolic junkyard is not just a highlight of the movie -- it is great fantasy cinema. Annette O'Toole will make any man's toes curl.
Rated 28 Apr 2011
Ouch. Pryor is a great comedian, but entirely wrong for a Superman film, a problem which is only magnified further when he takes up at least as much screentime as Superman himself. This film is too heavily played for laughs, the villains are boring, and the plot is uninspired.
Rated 11 Jun 2013
Superman III takes much of what was good about the earlier Superman films and chucks it out the window in favor of a campier, sillier approach. It doesn't work nearly as well. The relationships have no depth, many of the characters serve little purpose, and previous continuities have been disregarded in favor of gags. Sure, it looks good and the action is fun, but I can't help but feel like the genius of the first two films has run out with this installment.
Rated 23 Jun 2013
Superman 1 and 2 had some goofiness, but there, it was all done in good taste and it was almost always genuinely funny and charming. Now this movie just went full goofy. Never go full goofy. Apart from that, I did really like Superman's "internal struggle", it emphasized the importance of the human element in Superman very nicely.
Rated 17 Nov 2011
This is a tragic case. There is a decent amount of great Superman moments that are completely in line with the previous films; Superman with a five o'clock shadow being a dick is just priceless. Sometimes it almost feels like a surreal French comedy; the opening scene looks like it was made by Tati. On the other hand, everything Pryor-related feels so shoehorned in that it abruptly halts any decent flow the film has. It's really not that bad, but it's certainly not great by any stretch.
Rated 09 Aug 2012
Silly but it's still Superman.
Rated 02 Aug 2012
And I was expecting something bad, really bad, but it was even worse. I even have to say I think this movie is over-rated. Apart from the quality of the material, there's also the thing that most of it looks pointless, and when I expected to be at least funny, it didn't work so well on that aspect either. Pryor character could be deleted and no one would miss him. I can't believe they let Lester finishing Superman II and discard Donner, I just can't believe it...
Rated 10 Jul 2012
When not overusing sight gags, slapstick, and Richard Pryor, Superman III resorts to plot points rehashed from the previous Superman flicks.
Rated 16 Jun 2012
Terrible but in a mildly entertaining way
Rated 18 May 2011
Whoever had the bright idea of turning the third in the Superman series into an out-and-out comic vehicle for Pryor should be horse whipped. Not that he isn't talented and funny -- just check out _Bustin' Loose_ or _Stir Crazy_ -- but what the hell is he doing here? Kidder was originally written out as Lois Lane since she was feuding with the Salkinds; she came back for a few scenes at Pryor's insistence but she's not in it enough to help.
Rated 14 Feb 2016
This movie insults your intelligence.
Rated 02 Apr 2012
Just dumb.
Rated 12 May 2018
(Viewed on 9/12/10): Lester only directed III for a cheque and boy does it show. Where to start? Pryor doesn't belong in the Superman universe, the villain is weak, and Kidder's absence for 80% of the movie is indeed telling. i.e she crossed the Salkinds. The attempts at comedy fall completely flat, and the whole anti-technology theme is laughable, even for a old comic book film. The dual between good and evil Superman in a junkyard is good, but it's like an oasis surrounded by parched land.
Rated 05 Aug 2023
Poor sequel and silly stuff
Rated 08 Jun 2023
Some of the slapstick jokes work in this film. However the script is a mess and could have used a few rewrites. The highlight of the movie is when Superman battles himself, Christopher Reeve is very good in those scenes. The villain is boring in this movie. Overall this movie is disappointing.
Rated 11 Feb 2023
The comedy I can take. But what really makes this a poor and boring movie is that it's full half hatched ideas plus underdeveloped and halfway abandoned plotlines. The first part is mediocre but watchable still, but from "Supes going bad" the movie derail further and further off rails. With Superman splitting up and fighting himself somehow as the moment the movie definitely lost it. Also Pryor is totally out of place in this. Reeves still is killing it tho.
Rated 19 Jun 2022
Top badass moment? Superman finding out how annoying he really is and beating himself up. It’s hard to hate a film that provided the music for an iconic scene in “Back to the Future”, the plot for "Spider-man 3", invented the Borg, has almost no Lois Lane, proves no one visits the Leaning Tower of Pisa and gives CR some actual acting to do; although Richard Pryor's scenes do make it a close call. It staggers like a drunk Superman, between great and abysmal. No cats, chainsaws or decapitations.
Rated 25 Sep 2021
Officespacelol+AnnetteisLana:P+somuchdumbshitlolbutit'sfine+weathercontrol+fakekryptonitechangingpersonality+fixPisalol+drunklolfightsClarksplit-Cwins+makesLanaperrynewsecretary-Loisthinksengaged+Pisaback
Rated 16 Jun 2021
Gus gets a job in computers. He steals 1 1/2 cent of expenses which makes him a lot of money. Boss finds out and he wants Gus to work with him to hack computers to control the Oil, coffee and whatever. They build a Super Computer to destroy Superman. There's a love story here with Clark and Lana Lang. Superman gets infected by a made up Kryptonite and it's Lana's kid who saves Superman from himself. Superman gets rid of the evil he has inside. Defeats the CPU.
Rated 15 Apr 2021
"If the world's most powerful computer can even control Superman ... no one on earth is safe." Millionaire Ross Webster uses the wacky but genius Gus Gorman (Pryor) to create a weapon against Superman (Reeve). They develop their own version of Kryptonite to defeat Superman, but the stuff has an unexpected effect. Gus builds a supercomputer that can expose Superman's vulnerability, but if the computer takes on a life of its own, everyone is in danger.
Rated 27 Mar 2021
This is probably the worst of Christopher Reeve's movies because it's just....all over the place and tonally whack. However - it has one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. The Superman vs Clark Kent thing. That's just incredible.
Rated 06 Jun 2020
Tolerable
Rated 14 May 2020
Pryor is doing his best to keep this film watchable.
Rated 12 Jul 2013
Superman: Great movie. Superman II: Great movie. Superman III: Nope, this was the beginning of the end. Just a really bad film.
Rated 02 Jan 2018
Superman III's obvious flaws not withstanding. It can be amusing to watch as a popular film series tries to shoehorn in a famous comedian. Richard Pryor is vastly entertaining to watch here despite his inclusion making little to no sense in a Superman movie. The majesty and perfection that was the first film has been diluted down to a series of slapstick comedy moments strung together by a loose computer based story which for some reason did NOT feature Brainiac... oops.
Rated 18 Jul 2017
The first hour was quite good actually: hilarious slapstick title sequence, Pryor being a lot of fun even when overacting and various interesting plot threads coming together nicely despite the typically cartoonish villains and cringy computer talk. The second half is definitely inferior: bad Superman was quite a dysfunctional plot device even if Reeve pulled it off fine and the action was increasingly clunky. Overall not as bad as it's probably made out to be but not solid enough either.
Rated 15 Apr 2017
So much bad comedy. So much bad, lazily hateful comedy. There are the seeds of a good movie in here - about Clark Kent reconnecting to humanity in the place that raised him, about an alien inspired by humans overcoming a human whose greed has driven away his humanity. But there's so much contempt for humanity in the movie and its casual disdain for its characters and its audience. (Robert Vaughn is great, tho. Easily the funniest thing in here.)
Rated 29 Mar 2017
Unrelentingly dull. Takes all the bad things about the first sequel and amplifies them a hundredfold.
Rated 23 Mar 2016
I'm glad Richard Pryor is dead
Rated 05 Nov 2009
Notable for one of the most bizarre opening scenes ever. Remade in to Spiderman 3. Also, drunk Superman!
Rated 10 Apr 2015
If you can get past Pryor's horrible character, and you enjoy some really goofy stuff, this is an ok movie. Its not nearly as good as the first two, but if you have the right mind set its enjoyable, and has a few really good moments.
Rated 30 Mar 2014
Wow, where to start with this? It's very apparent that the leading focus and drive of the Reeve Superman films was Richard Donner. This sequel really is quite disjointed and poor. It lacks Donner, Hackman, Kidman, a coherent story and proper direction. There are occasional moments that could be part of a better film but these are few and far between. At least Reeve is as fantastic as ever and the Duel of the Supermen junkyard fight features sublime acting from him.
Rated 14 Oct 2013
Really dire scriptwriting; characters were very shallow and stereotyped. +5 for cool end credits.
Rated 11 Sep 2013
Superman III is simply Richard Lester once and for all completely sucking the life out of the original Richard Donner classics. Bar the loveable Christopher Reeve, this poor excuse for a Superman film is unrecognisable of its predecessors. Slapstick and silliness has taken over and the weakly ushered in Richard Pryor is so miss placed. It's a sin against film making that Richard Lester was ever allowed anywhere near this franchise. This film is the ultimate insult to Richard Donner. Travesty.
Meh.
Rated 08 Oct 2007
This movie was not a good continuation of earlier films. I think it was bad because missing seriously to the movie, that should has, like other films of Superman has. It is not a comedy.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
There are a few great scenes, but a weak entry overall
Rated 11 Sep 2007
Richard prior acts in this movie. That disqualifies it in superhero o and decent movie categories
Rated 29 Aug 2007
is this the one with richard pryor? I think the only cool part is you'll get the reference in Office Space.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
crap
During a recent videostore visit, this was the only Superman film in the kid's section. Go figure.
Comic relief has always been a part of Superman. Unlike other comic books which are very serious, there has always been room for a little laughter. But the laughter here doesn't come exclusively from Pryor, but it comes from an unintentionally bad performance by Vaughn, weak script, and sub standard F/X. The execution of Clark vs. Superman should have been better.
The Superman films took a HUGE dive after the 2nd installment. This isn't quite as bad as #4, but it's damn close.
The best out of the 4 superman movies from the 80s
Not great, but still Superman
Rated 14 Oct 2007
Superman gets drunk in a bar. That's worth something!
Extremely silly movie that offended many by heretically refusing to treat the Superman mythology as sacred. For those not bothered by such concerns, the film is pretty funny for a while, although not enough to really sustain attention for the duration. Seems to a large extent to be intended as an attack on computer technology and its deleterious effects on society, even including a critique of the reduction of war to videogames. People should get off Lester's back.
Kill the morons who made the Superman films - all but the firstt 55 minutes of the first one. Though Chris was wonderful
A pretty good movie marred slightly by the needless inclusion of Richard Pryor.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
This was... not a good idea.
Rated 28 Jun 2007
You'll laugh, then you'll cry...
Rated 26 May 2007
Had to.
Rated 27 Apr 2007
You know, it isn't a good film by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Richard Pryor and I can't hate it because of that.
Rated 08 Feb 2007
ne bileyim yakışmadı zamanın serisine dönüp bakınca ama tekrar izlenicek bir film değil
Rated 02 Jan 2007
I recently made the mistake of starting to watch Superman III after watching Superman The Movie & Superman II. Never make this mistake yourself as this film really disappoints in the first few minutes if you do that. The comedy is too high in this third entry in the franchise and even Christopher Reeves doesn't seem to be trying as hard. Not as bad as number four but still well below the quality of the first two movies.
Rated 18 Dec 2006
I gave it a 49 because I like superman.
Rated 26 Sep 2008
Sorta funny, sorta silly, sorta PASS.
Rated 02 Dec 2006
This is why they stopped making these films for a decade or so
Rated 31 Oct 2009
Made me laugh, when I was 10 years old. Now it just makes me smile.
Rated 02 Aug 2009
Reeve still looks great, but everything else is very poor.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
A strange film, I did like the Clark Kent/Superman confrontation in the junk yard, but otherwise I don't really recommend it strongly.
Rated 04 Jul 2009
Haha. It's not the worst movie of all time, as long as it's not a Superman movie, which it mostly isn't. With elements of, dare I say, Jacques Tati (that opening credit sequence) and the whackiness of Mel Brooks, it almost works as a comedy. I think there was just a failure to understand what Superman is all about.
Rated 26 May 2009
This more than likely set the bar for Spider-Man 3 due to its plotline......
Rated 12 Apr 2009
very bad Superman movie, Richard Pryor doesn't make an action movie good.
Rated 15 Jan 2009
yeah this is bad, but I sort of liked it as a kid.. robolady, tomatosoup splashed inside a giant machine, Richard Pryor the smarted computer guy alive... whatever.
Rated 24 Dec 2008
A few redeeming features (the Junkyard) but overall very disappointing and stupid in parts. Richard Lester, I don't like you!
Rated 08 Dec 2008
I loved Superman and Superman II. And then this came along. I consider it the watershed that led me from youth to adulthood, making me realize that movies are not significant life events but attempts to make profit. This film was so bad that even as a kid I cringed, and that's saying something considering I was born a video nut.
Rated 28 Jan 2010
NEW REVIEW: Absolutely awful and even Reeve and Pryor can't save it. Dumb, dumb, dumb. OLD REVIEW: OK, I know this wasn't really that great of a film, but I've got a soft spot in my heart for the Superman franchise and Christopher Reeve, so I'm inflating the score to reflect that. (OLD SCORE - 65)
Rated 25 Sep 2008
are we regreting the plot description yet???
Rated 11 Feb 2008
Just because you get to see superman being a dick.
Rated 21 Jan 2008
Robot woman is freaky.
Rated 13 Jan 2008
Average and contrived plot. Good cop bad cop spin on the Superman franchise. Ok for the family but not the best of the run.
Rated 19 Nov 2007
A classic that should be seen in the series.
Rated 16 Nov 2007
lame, but it's christopher reeve!
Rated 12 Nov 2007
I lvoe love love love love the Superman Movies, and this one was great, perfect acting.
Rated 26 Oct 2007
Disappointing.
Rated 22 Oct 2007
This movie was terrible. As it turns out, they should have stopped the series after the first two. If only Richard Pryor could have brought more humor the movie, it would have done better as a spoof of itself.