1978
Sci-fi
An adventure re-told, spanning the Man of Steel's life from his Krypton infancy and Midwest boyhood to his career as Daily Planet reporter Clark Kent (Reeve) and through his titanic struggle with archnemesis Lex Luthor (Hackman). (Warner Bros.)

1978
Sci-fi

Rated 18 May 2011
The Man of Steel's first big-screen adventure since the '50s was this $50-million-plus super production directed by Donner, who had just scored a big hit with _The Omen_. An unknown Reeve is great as both Superman and Clark Kent (for the first time you can actually accept the fact that those around him really think that Supe and Clark are two different people). This too often veers unevenly between parody and sincerity, but the high spirits of the cast and John Williams's soaring score make this
Rated 01 Jun 2019
Issue with unrealistic Deux-Machina moment of reversing back time
Rated 19 Jul 2018
Somehow more movie-like than today's superhero outings. Lovely performances and it looks amazing.
Rated 29 May 2012
"The Man of Steel" has to battle dated special effects and a fair chump of 70s camp. Despite those flaws, and the Supe-character being a bit of a bore, it's supringsly fun; mainly thanks to a charming cast and a playful tone.
Rated 14 May 2020
This film is really something else.
Rated 28 Feb 2019
I saw many renditions of Superman before I saw this one. Chris Reeves defined this character. I have never seen someone match that humanly-perfect, not-quite-human charm. The story itself is pretty corny, but it is based on a comic book.
Rated 19 Jul 2011
you can be super. not relavant sorry.
Rated 17 Jul 2018
Very entertaining.
Rated 26 Apr 2009
An awesome movie.
Rated 22 Sep 2009
This film brought my childhood hero to the big screen in a way that it had never been done before (or since).
Rated 27 Oct 2012
A lot of the beginning of this movie actually is meant to set up the sequel. The best action is saved to the end. A great action movie if you don't like to over-think things. Of course, Christoper Reeve is the pinnacle of "Superman". What woman wouldn't want to be Lois Lane staring into THOSE baby blues. Gene Hackman is good as Lex Luther but could have been great without the toupees.
Rated 09 Jun 2010
dream for me of 80's..could i fly one day like him :)
Rated 25 Feb 2010
A classic Superman movie, netheless to say more.
Rated 21 Jan 2008
Extremely well done for its time - made superman more 'human' and told his beginning.
Rated 19 Jul 2009
Did not like the movie at all......
Rated 12 Jan 2013
Christopher Reeves IS Superman. No performance has come close since, and it's a joy to watch him here. Sure, there's some bad choices (Lois Lane's poem is particularly grating), but none of it ruins the film, and Kidder's take on Lane is the only time I've ever believed the Clark Kent/Superman conceit. Make sure you see Richard Donner's cut of the sequel, too!
Rated 10 Sep 2012
Very good version of Superman. Christopher Reeve will be my reference for Superman for the rest of my life. My only grudge with the film is the ending. I never understood how everything went back to before the effects of the bomb damaged everything but once Superman shifts the time forward again the bomb's shockwaves don't start once more.
Rated 04 Jan 2010
bom pelos efeitos pioneiros e pelo personagem bem desenvolvido, mas a trama é meio boba.
Rated 06 Apr 2009
While it has Superman for the first time on the big screen, it also doesn't have much of a story line and Superman only has one true-blue meeting with Lois Lane and Lex Luthor. Passable.
Rated 02 Mar 2013
the only thing that really makes this movie cool is when they use dated special effects to try and bring supermans powers to life. 40 years later and these effects are laughable but it adds character. The scene of young superman running beside the train at the begining is hillarious. Gene hackman also did a good job. There are so many plot holes in this movie its ridiculous so just take it for what it is.
Rated 27 Jul 2008
Ace!
Rated 11 Aug 2012
Great Origin of Superman.
Rated 30 Aug 2009
A film that does not stand the test of time.
Rated 20 Oct 2022
Indispensible, and awesome. And tons more. I wouldn't be who I am today, had I not had this film as part of my youth. Fits right in there with the SW and ST franchises. We miss thee, CR!
Rated 29 Jul 2009
Mostly good in that campy sort of way. And did somebody say deus ex machina?
Rated 04 Oct 2008
Late, great Christopher Reeve - we all need a hero like this
Rated 28 Jun 2020
"Superman: The Movie" leans into its special effects, and in 1978 they carried the movie. With the advancement of special effects, this part of the film doesn't stand out, and all that's left is a good score with a weak story.
Rated 19 Aug 2007
Excellent comic book to big screen effort - the effects suffer when compared to Superman Returns - but that's got to be expected 30ish years on.
Rated 15 Jun 2010
kudos to my childhood hero and the only real superman rip christopher reeve
Rated 16 Oct 2007
Classic. there's a lot of meat in this one.
I did believe a man could fly. The Boyscout that could save the world. Head to toe this is badass Comic book come to life.
Rated 09 May 2013
A solid superhero movie, with a great performance by Christopher Reeve and a spectacular score by John Williams.
Rated 14 May 2012
Love it. No one can play Superman like Christopher Reeves. I believe he was even better than actor in the original TV show.
Rated 29 May 2008
The greatest superhero movie ever made. Proof positive that you can stick a man in tights and have him fly around saving women and helicopters, cats and west coast america and it doesnt seem that ridiculous. The excellence is in the Excecution (Bret Hart) - Superman returns followed same formula, but stunk up the cinema.
Rated 10 Apr 2023
Not terrible, but not great either. Just something about this movie felt pretty off from start to finish.
Rated 16 Dec 2008
I am showing my age here - but I went to see these at the cinema when I was kid. Superman was the only superhero as he was the only one who could fly unlike Batman who needed gimmicks.
Rated 14 Mar 2014
Great fun, great acting, great story and great pacing. This is a fantastically packed film that feels lifted right from the comics themselves. Christopher Reeve is still the best Superman comitted to film and Margot Kidder's Lois Lane is his perfect foil. It's a shame that the second film was taken over and they produced three and four. Reeve and Kidder deserved better.
Rated 11 Oct 2009
Christopher Reeves - a most excellent superman. well played. Keep this movie around.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
A classic for someone my age, nevertheless GREAT movie to watch, definitely for a long night watching the whole series with friends.
Rated 28 Sep 2010
The first installment in the big-budget series detailing the exploits of the Man of Steel spends too much time dwelling on his origin, and too little showing him in battle against the forces of evil. Still, it does have a stellar supporting cast -- with Hackman's tongue-in-cheek performance as criminal mastermind Lex Luthor the standout -- and Reeve manages to acquit himself nicely with his charmingly awkward portrayal of Krypton's favorite son.
Rated 11 Sep 2021
It is a true cultural classic, with a legendary John Williams score, but as a film, or even an American film, Superman: The Movie is pretty bad. Fun for kids, though, and fans love this canon.
Cheesy movie in a cheesy decade. But Brando was GREAT
Rated 24 Dec 2008
One of my favourite films throughout my life. Some flaws, but overall classic and Reeves and Hackman are brilliant.