2006
Musical
The legend of the fabled "Pick of Destiny" infuses every page of rock history. Since the dark ages, this supernatural pick has been passed down through many hands. Now, the time draws nigh when the pick will be passed to the next generation of rock - the ones they call Tenacious D. This is their tale of a friendship that would last through the ages and a musical and spiritual synergy so strong that it would reshape our very understanding of the concept of rock. This is the story of Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny. (New Line Cinema)

2006
Musical

Rated 01 May 2009
I was shocked I liked it.
Rated 13 Jul 2012
For fans, a crowd-surf over Tenacious D's best bits. For the unbaptized, a novelty movie of a novelty band, big on spirit but in search of a script.
Rated 05 Jun 2011
Satan's not in a guitar pick, he's inside all of us. In here, in your hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or exercise, or tell the truth. He's what makes us want to party and have sex with each other all night long. He's that little voice in your mind that says f@$# you to the people you hate. Now you can stay out here and fight on the ground and cry like babies, or you can go in there like friends and rock!
Rated 28 Feb 2007
"I love Tenacious D, but this movie really was not as continuously funny as I had expected. Their shorts on HBO were so much better." - I didn't type that (whomperize did), but I agree 100%. I was a little kinder with the score, though.
Rated 18 May 2007
I can think of many words besides Tenacious to describe this movie. All around, this movie just sucked.
Rated 16 Aug 2007
Mostly damn funny, a few overly puerile moments aside, The Pick of Destiny totally succeeds in the esteemed genre of stoner comedy. If you like Tenacious D then you'll like this for sure, (of course).
Rated 31 May 2014
This movie could've been a vehicle for Maroon 5 and it still would've had me at: John C. Reilly as Sasquatch.
Rated 15 Aug 2014
Oddly, this film's biggest issue is that it's never as funny as it could be (which is a subjective stance to take, I know). I apologize, I don't know how to write 500 characters for a comedy film that I don't have strong feelings about.
Rated 07 Jan 2009
I love the music, but the movie did not give me much. Jack Black is good singer, I did not light up his acting here though. The story was lame. Tim Robbins' character was good and a girl with a rack representative. That's it.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
A mixed bag, but there are more good bits than bad ones.
Rated 14 Oct 2009
Kickin' rad soundtrack as one can always expect from the D. A lot of jokes fall flat, but there were enough laugh out loud funny moments. A worthwhile diversion.
Rated 27 Dec 2009
It's silly, stupid, immature and not especially well made, but it does have some great songs in it. Frankly if you don't go in expecting too much it's very enjoyable.
Rated 19 Feb 2012
From the opening scene with Meat Loaf and Ronnie James Dio, JB's first encounter with KG and the "Master Exploder" dream all the way to the mushroom trip, the breaking into the museum, the car chase and the rock-off against the Devil (Dave Grohl), this is an epic, addictive film. The soundtrack by the D is a masterpiece, the cast amazing (hilarious cameos from Ben Stiller, Tim Robbins and Paul F. Tompkins next to the protagonistic duo of Jack Black and Kyle Gass) and the direction very solid.
Rated 25 Nov 2006
If you just look at this as a movie on its own, then it's pretty rambling and full of holes. But formalism is for pussies, so by reading this in the context of the album, Tenacious D's earlier works, and the entire history of rock, we find that the movie does in fact rock. Hard.
Rated 25 Nov 2006
Okay, I'm a big fan of the D, especially their short-lived HBO series. Having said that, I think this is one of three hilarious 2006 comedies (the other two being Borat and Talladega Nights). It's the weakest of the three, but it still rocks hard.
Rated 27 Nov 2006
He doesn't need... a microphone. His voice is freakin'... POWERFUL
Rated 29 Nov 2006
Pretty good on a second watch. Don't go in thinking this is going to be as good as their music or the show.
Rated 01 Dec 2006
I admit to laughing at the film due to it's undeniable, occasional funniness, but for the most part, the film's overwhelming amount of foul language and gibberish as a form of humor was pathetic. It works for their albums but not on film. The biggest problem, however, is that, for a comical and magical quest, it's not that magical or comical. If you're going to make a comedy that thrives on absurdity, go all out. POD doesn't even come close to all out, and for The D, that's sad. Crap!
Rated 08 Feb 2007
The music is good for the most part, but the movie is pure childish tomfoolery. Jack Black and Kyle Gass go on a tedious adventure filled with bong hits and poop jokes. Nevertheless, you can't help but like these guys. It would have done much better as a full out opera. That at least would have been commendable.
Rated 30 Oct 2020
What's jablins, jables? No gaming video this week
Rated 05 Jul 2014
Probably could've been better with more singing and less plot.
Rated 20 Feb 2007
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Good.
Rated 05 Mar 2007
The only part I liked was when Jack Black takes shrooms. It's forgettable and I've never been a fan of The D so this is a pretty biased review.
Rated 06 Mar 2007
Nonsensical fun.
Rated 06 Mar 2007
One of those movies I can't help but quote in real life: "Bring that pick to me! No? OK wait there while I come get it!"
Rated 30 Aug 2019
It is cute or a little fun to watch and is more in the line of young adults to watch.
Rated 11 Jun 2014
I did not mean to blow your mind that shit happens to me all the time~
Rated 26 Apr 2007
The first bits of the movie are a Rock Opera, and they are almost definitely the best thing going on there. It feels as though they should have run with that for the entire movie.
Rated 14 May 2007
I am a big fan of Jack Black but I was a bit disappointed by this movie. They went WAY out of the way to use explitives. I don't usually mind that but it wa overkill in this movie. And at the end it seems like they just stopped...ending was not very good.
Rated 24 Jul 2007
Laughable at times, but not all the time. Expected more from the D... The best song was the first one, with the remainder ranking below even the worst from their previous album. Glad I waited until DVD.
Rated 13 Aug 2007
Could've been a whole lot better...even if you're already a fan of the band this movie isn't exactly great.
Rated 13 Aug 2007
Funny movie, hilarious cameo's. Good soundtrack. For fans only.
Rated 17 Sep 2007
not that funny, but it is cool if you like the D
Rated 08 Oct 2007
I like of Tenacious D. Great songs. Only therefore it is already worth watch. The story is funny, in spite of exaggerated.
Rated 25 Nov 2007
Best musical I've ever seen. It rocks your socks off.
Rated 01 Jan 2008
zzz
Rated 14 Jan 2008
A movie that tries to rock our brains out like Spinal Tap did, while having Jack Black overacting his guts out and having satan appear in the finale. Needless to say, the laffs are but absent in large parts of the movie, and the pothead humor that occasionally surfaces is just embarrasing to watch. Such a good idea certainly could survive some better writing.
Rated 20 Jan 2008
I lost interest half-way through this.
Rated 23 Oct 2021
Entertainment: 3.5. Spirit: 1. Sustainability: 0.5. Family: 1
Rated 18 Feb 2008
It's not all bad for what it is. Random, ridiculous fun. Some parts are quite bad but others are rather good. Some awesome cameos, particularly by Tim Robbins. Overall not really a quality film, but what did you expect?
Rated 14 Mar 2008
Count it plus 25 for the hard rock&heavy metal enthusiast. Although it has nothing to say about the music itself at the least they are able to rock.
Rated 07 Apr 2008
tenacious D in the shit
Rated 22 Apr 2008
40 for TD and 20 for the movie, thats not really worth more, no points for Dave Grohl, that would make it #1 without the movie deserving it
Rated 27 Apr 2008
After the HBO shorts, a major dissapointment. If you are a hardcore "D" fan, you should still check it out, though.
Rated 17 May 2008
First time I watched this, I wasn't that impressed. Second time, more than two years later, the viewing had one difference; I wasn't sober anymore. Suddenly, the movie became pretty damn enjoyable. The soundtrack is the strongest part, but overall there's a lot of small, funny moments.
Rated 31 Jul 2018
By all accounts this isn't a very good movie, but it's just too metal for me not to love it.
Rated 14 May 2022
Fun, engaging saga finds Black’s stage persona given free reign to obliterate everything in sight – if that’s your thing, you’re likely to enjoy this more, but it was an ingenious idea to stage the film as an old-school rock opera to ensure his larger than life persona never appears out of place. Arguably lulls occasionally during the quieter moments, but a parade of amusing cameos ensure the pace never slackens; Tenacious Ds score is an impressive and clever one, even divorced from the film.
Rated 27 Jul 2008
Jack Black is the man in my eyes.
Rated 08 Sep 2008
good movie
Rated 12 Sep 2008
punk rock tried to kill the metal... but the metal life on !! A movie for all fans of Tenacious D. Great movie, great actors and an outstanding Score.
Rated 18 Oct 2008
See FlavaDave's review, agree a 100% but was not so kind with the score! ;-)
Rated 05 Dec 2008
Tenacious D kicks all the ass.
Rated 12 Dec 2008
A real fan movie, anyone who likes Tenacious D will dig this. this being said it's also mediocre, vulgar, silly and not all that funny. then again it's hardcore and that's all there is to a fan movie.
Rated 04 Feb 2018
Fun cast, some laugh yourself silly material.
Rated 30 Oct 2013
Rated 07 Jan 2009
It's a pretty poorly put together film. But I really wouldn't expect much else from a Tenacious D movie. Some of the songs ruled like Master Exploder and the song they fought the devil with. The jokes, even though very very cheesy and immature, fit perfectly. All in all, not a great movie but enjoyable for any fan of Tenacious D.
Rated 11 Jan 2009
Skip the flick, pick up the soundtrack instead
Rated 29 Jan 2009
Jack black my friends!!
Rated 31 Jan 2009
Amusing while sober, probably hilarious while stoned.
Rated 12 Feb 2009
A Tenacious D movie could have been much better. They waited too long to make this. If you're a fan of the (far superior) HBO shorts, then you will enjoy this but unless you are already a fan, you probably won't like it.
Rated 25 Nov 2017
not even a guilty pleasure
Rated 24 Jul 2013
Not much to remember
Rated 17 Apr 2009
While the film doesn't consistently stay on the high wire, this film's best sequences are a sheer delight to watch and the music is catchy.
Rated 29 Jun 2009
Never really got into this.
Rated 30 Jun 2009
I never laughed. Not even AT them.
Rated 14 Jul 2009
I liked this movie for the same reason I like heavy metal to begin with... It's over the top, stupid and if you take it too seriously you're going to be disappointed.
Rated 30 Jul 2017
That is a really long music video!
Rated 19 Jun 2013
The D were a cornerstone of my adolescence, and Kickapoo is one of my favorite musical sequences ever, but unless I'm completely blazed the film's pretty dire. I'm pretty sure that was intentional, though.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
Packed with immature jokes, awesome music and interesting cameos. It helps if you like Tenacious D.
Rated 28 Aug 2009
I liked this way more than I cared to, considering I mostly don't care for Tenacious D.
Rated 09 Sep 2009
Too much silliness and not all songs are so great. OK to watch in bits and pieces but watching it all in one sitting gives me a headache.
Rated 21 Sep 2009
I haven't seen the original series but this movie satisfied me with its crude humour. It's sort of a musical and you get to hear a lot of good, humourous Rock music and see the regular Jack Black crazyness. Kyle Gass is funny too. I guess this must be the Bill and Ted's of the decade. Not for those who would never laugh at a fart in a movie.
Rated 03 Oct 2009
Fuck you
Rated 04 Oct 2009
For the most part pretty awful.
Rated 14 Jun 2017
There are some moments of good comedy (the subversive take on the "inside all of us/inside your hearts" speech had me in stitches) to go with the entertaining soundtrack (the opening flashback number and the boardwalk jam are highlights), but not enough to distract me from the terrible script that can't even do the generic underdog story right (where was their triumphant open mic performance?). It's not boring (fun cameos help), but not every bit lands, and it misses the mark on a grander scale.
Rated 24 Nov 2012
pretty silly!
Rated 21 Nov 2009
While it has a couple of very immature laughs dotted about the place, it's for the mostpart surprisingly stale and skims from one scene of mayhem to the other without providing much in the way of anything. Sometimes a couple of familiar faces pop up, but mostly they seem to be placed randomly about, usually simply to prop up a particularly weak scene. Overall, I can't say I liked it much. I'm not sure what Tenacious D is actually like beyond the film, but it doesn't leave a very good impression.
Rated 19 Jan 2010
A relatively bland movie, with a few well done scenes. Surprisingly the soundtrack alone is much more entertaining than the movie itself.
Rated 14 Feb 2010
utterly retarded, but fun. every now and then the songs are decent, too
Rated 15 Feb 2010
The opening song, "Kickapoo", is fantastic, but the rest of the movie is a disappointment.
Rated 22 Feb 2022
Jack Black is pretty adorbs in interviews. Way more than his stage persona. This movie toootally obfuscates that! But if Chris Farley, Weird Al and Van Wilder are yo thang, this may be up your alley.
Rated 05 Apr 2010
Funny at times, but the times weren't as constant as I'd hoped.
Rated 03 Jul 2010
fuck it, it's an enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes.
Rated 17 Jul 2010
I know a lot of people who don't like Jack Black. To paraphrase the boyhood version of his character in this film (brave young Jaybles), "Man, they can suck a cock!" I intentionally avoided this film because it got some bad press, but a friend convinced me to give it a try a few months ago and I'm glad I did. I've watched it 10 times since then. I think it's fucking hilarious.
Rated 28 Aug 2010
I expected better from the D. First half was pretty good, but it dragged until the final battle, which could have been funnier. All-around disappointing, even for a fan of the band like myself.
Rated 21 Sep 2010
You have to enjoy the D to enjoy this film. If it is your first exposure to them, you will probably be disappointed.
Rated 31 Oct 2010
"It's hard to complain too much about this loosey-goosey romp's patchiness when one of the rocking songs features the lyric "You're gonna gargle mayonnaise"...and the reference isn't to Hellman's." - Nick Schager
Rated 04 May 2015
As a fan of the band, the movie was nothing more than a fun little adventure for Jables and The Rage Cage. If you're not a fan, I'd skip it, but it can be a lot of fun honestly.
Rated 28 Jan 2015
Really dumb at times, but enjoyable enough at others. The confrontation at the end is great.
Rated 03 Feb 2011
loved the songs the film tho little random but funny
Rated 13 Feb 2011
Lovely, but I expected a little bit more ...
Rated 13 Feb 2011
Jack Black trying too hard.
Rated 26 Apr 2011
Jack Black rocking out with the Devil. This is definitely a better film than School of Rock, but certainly not a great film or even one of Jack Black's best.
Rated 17 May 2011
Tenacious D fan will find this movie hilarious; everybody else will see only a low-brow concept movie and a small assembly of jokes stretched past the 100 minute mark.
Rated 27 Nov 2023
So glad I finally got to this one. Fun, silly and outrageous movie (that rocks).
Rated 20 Oct 2011
Funny movie, great music!
Rated 26 Dec 2011
This movie has a really funny opening scene but then quickly goes downhill afterwards. For die hard fans of Jack Black only. This movie was a big disappointment for me.
Rated 09 Jan 2012
Wanted to like this more than I did.
Rated 09 Jan 2012