The Act of Seeing with One\
We weren't able to find any streaming offers for The Act of Seeing with One's Own Eyes
The-Act-of-Seeing-with
The-Act-of-Seeing-with
Director: Stan_BrakhageStan Brakhage

Is there any film which so completely and brutually confronts the viewer with the realities of death? I think the real brilliance of this movie is what Brakhage DOESN'T do, his sense of restraint and focus. His camera never flinches, there is no commentary, no metaphor, no cutaways. There are no superfluous scenes, nothing that doesn't relate to the physicality of death and the body. This is all about seeing death with your own eyes, and it can actually change the way you see yourself.
Experimental filmmaker Stan Brakhage, camera in hand, was let into an actual busy metropolitan morgue and shot this. Edited down to half an hour, basically what you see here is real corpses being pathologically tested, dissected and/or taken apart (scalped, disemboweled, dismembered, etc.) by morticians. There is no sound. What is the value of this? I don't know. It shows you what your insides look like.
Just after finishing this I felt an absolutely unreal sense of my own physicality. Like, I looked at my hands as I moved them and was remarkably aware of the tendons, blood vessels, and muscles. I took in a deep breath and could visualize my lungs inflating. This movie was able to construct a clear mental link between my mind and my body like I've never experienced before. It also made the line between life and death seem paralyzingly thin.
Possibly one of the most confrontational works on death ever made, guiding the viewer through multiple autopsies of men and women without any attempt to soften what you see. It is both an incredibly sad and incredibly hopeful one, which shows how physically mortal we are yet also allows a spiritual interpretation if the viewer desires it and shows the beauty of the body as well as confront death. It was one of the most powerful films I have ever seen and is a true masterpiece.
Autopsy means the same with the film in Greek language: this means that Brakhage proposes us to observe the bare and obvious existence of the Being in a cinematic space. Interestingly at a date coinciding with the birth of political American cinema, he reveals the falsehood and plastic nature of the conventional "images" amd compels us to think of a new and cruel ontology of narrative. As every "construction" the creators of this story are doctors.

Director: Stan_BrakhageStan Brakhage