The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
The-Adventures-of-Ichabod-and

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

1949
Family/Kids, Fantasy
A retelling of two classic tales: The Wind in the Willows & The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Amazon VideoApple TVDisney PlusGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow half earns my score all by itself. It's fantastic. The Wind in the Willows half is OK but not as good.
Walt definitely put his A team on Ichabod while the B team took the Toad. Mr. Toad is amazingly not like the Disney attraction, he never even drives a car and certainly never goes to hell.
Sadly unbalanced double set. The Ichabod portion should have been extended to a full film.
I've only ever been fascinated by the last five minutes and that incredible image of the pumpkin head being thrown right at you, but I'll happily sit through the rest to get to it. Mr. Toad is such an affable junkie (for whatever the most current form of transportation is) that it ends up being a fun ride.
Even at a 68-minute runtime I felt my interest waning and pulled toward other stuff, though the final ten minutes or so when the Headless Horseman actually appears are pretty good. Some nice animation for the 1940s, but the Mr. Toad segment did nothing for me; overall I would say this one is for Disney completionists only.

Submitted bynavinieanaviniea on 24 Apr 2008