2014
A single mother, plagued by the violent death of her husband, battles with her son's fear of a monster lurking in the house, but soon discovers a sinister presence all around her. (imdb)

2014

Rated 02 Nov 2014
The best of the Home Alone sequels by quite a bit.
Rated 07 Dec 2014
The scariest thing in the entire world is raising an autistic child, especially if you haven't been fucked in seven years.
Rated 10 Nov 2014
Essie Davis really delivers a powerhouse performance as the mom that's coming apart at the seams (and who can blame her, with thát kid) and gives the movie a very solid emotional foundation that's missing from big(ger) budget horror these days. That said, the amount of scenes that contained actual scares can be counted on a cursed monkey paw that's seen some use. If you just watch this for the horror element you'll probably leave a bit dissatisfied.
Rated 19 Apr 2014
A silly, scary movie about the living hell that it is to be a parent.
Rated 28 Nov 2014
This is less haunted house/monster flick than a probing psychological thriller; think "Repulsion" instead of "Nightmare on Elm Street". It also happens to be a very good one. Essie Davis is fantastic as a mother with some serious resentment/dislike towards her young son (who is both innocent and obnoxious), the real nightmare inside her own head. Kent has some impressive craft as well, taking advantage of the low budget and getting some great mileage out of unseen terrors. Really good stuff.
Rated 31 Oct 2014
I was hoping the Babadook would eat the boy. If it had I would've given this a higher score
Rated 28 Apr 2015
Fuck yes. Awesome. Look, if you're gonna do the creepy/weird-o kid trope in 2015, the kid better be nigh grotesque. AND THIS KID IS THAT. Skilled direction and a fantastic lead performance by Davis, whose beleaguered determination in confronting trauma piled upon trauma through a sleep-deprived, overmedicated haze is the emotional core most horror lacks. The book itself is top-shelf work and terrifically nightmarish. Doesn't tread new ground, but offers a terrific variation on a classic formula.
Rated 20 Dec 2014
I could see where some of this movie's praise is coming from, yet not all. I did really enjoy this film and I appreciated it's really low budget, yet it was not as revolutionary as many led me to believe. I liked it a lot but it felt a lot like a rehashing of The Exorcist and The Shining yet not as good. This was definitely very creative and enjoyable most of the time, just not mind-blowing. A bit over-hyped.
Rated 29 Dec 2014
Many modern-day parents (critics included) still flattering themselves by being oh-so dismayed by the fact that their chronically demanding offspring actually induce negative emotions in them are likely to narcissistically perceive a great deal of brilliance & profundity in watching their anxieties reflected back at them, but for the rest of us, it takes almost an hour for things to get moving & despite the original subject matter, the scares are few.
Rated 27 Dec 2014
I think that I will have a greater appreciation of it after another viewing. As Barthalen mentioned, it doesn't deliver a whole hell of lot for the straight-faced horror viewer. But it's depiction of entrapment for both leads is pretty phenomenal. The parent/child relationship is so realistic you will not need to see the credits to know a woman wrote it. Once you realize the Babadook is a metaphor for a creepy ghost dressed in black, you'll realize you missed the point entirely.
Rated 14 Jun 2015
Powerful story well handled and acted. It refers back to all those classic horror tales about children and parents not growing up or moving on. I absolutely loved how the horror was created through psychological tension and long atmospheric buildup rather than cheap & worn out jump scares. The middle act in particular was super-creepy whereas the more crazy finale lost some of that refined & ambiguous terror. The open ending felt right. Not that original but meaty enough and pretty classy.
Rated 03 Dec 2014
Fuuuuck having kids.
Rated 18 Jul 2016
I really dug this little movie. Wasn't very popular, but that kind of make sit special. The Babadook doesn't rely on jump scares, but it does rely on chills and suspense and I appreciated that. It worked better for what it is. The two leads end up being developed pretty well too. Some good directing and shots make this not only a great horror film but also a well-made movie all together. It gets better and better as it moves along too. I personally liked the score. For sure worth watching.
Rated 09 Feb 2015
So I used to be a scaredycat when I was younger, then really got into monsters and macabre and weird things and psychological horror as I got older. I'm not much for modern ghost stories or jump scares or most horror movies, really, finding creatures and gross things way more interesting than terrifying. This movie, though. Legitimately did not sleep the night after watching it (being the son of a single mother probably helps).
Rated 06 May 2015
It seems everytime a horror film that isn't blatantly awful comes out, everyone lose their shit over it. Babadook is servicable in the scares department, has a modicum of depth (the attempted subtext is half-baked to put it mildly but at least the movie tries for something more than "BOO!") & its general uneventfulness could pass for slowburn intensity if you're in a generous mood. It's mediocre horror, but that still puts it way ahead of pretty much all other horror movies being released today.
Rated 09 Apr 2014
Pretty scary. Essie Davis' performance might be the most intense one I've seen in a horror film since Angela Bettis creeped the hell out of me in 'May'.
Rated 30 Dec 2014
Ridiculously over hyped Aussie horror is a cliche ridden bore for at least half of its duration. Much of the praise is directed towards its 'intelligent subtext', supposedly proof of its (moral?) superiority to genre contemporaries, but it's so caught up in this mode of symbolic representation that it forgets to be scary. The Orphanage balanced serious familial themes and chills with an emotional pull far more effectively.
Rated 23 Mar 2015
the psychological aspect of this one is incredible. becomes a truly dark, unsettling horror film by the midway point and does not let down. satisfying ending. essie davis deserves to be a household name after her performance in this movie.
Rated 11 Jul 2015
I'm not a big fan of horror, but this one is saved by reasonably good writing that blurs the lines between standard horror movie mumbo-jumbo nonsense and the very real prospect of losing one's sanity. It is almost entirely carried by the excellent performances of Essie Davis. It was entertaining and keeps you guessing to the end. It also has an amusing last act.
Rated 05 Jun 2020
Fantastic sound design. I was disappointed when the book's ashes didn't show up on the doorstep somehow reconstructed. The whispered "someone's in the house" swelling out of white noise was impressive, and the Babadook really sounded like some ancient spirit. I'm not a fan of the bravery/screaming contest climax, but what else can you really do?
Rated 08 Mar 2015
If you want a monster movie, you'll be disappointed. If you want a psychological horror movie that externalizes the psychological horror in a physical form, however? The Babadook is a fucking home run.
Rated 07 Jun 2015
Bit of a disappointment; the first half shows such careful, clear vision but the second half seems to have no idea how to sustain & develop the thing and knows only that it wants to be a horror movie, throwing up random horror tropes to fill time until the ending. I feel like this film could have been made without most of the special effects and it probably would have been better. Still a much better than average horror film, though.
Rated 01 Dec 2014
oh, so it's a metaphor... shut the fuck up
Rated 15 Aug 2014
feminist horror at its best
Rated 03 Jan 2015
I don't get scared by horror films and this was no exception, but this is a fantastic horror film with some terrific horror imagery, and a far-out spectacular performance from Davies (with child co-star Wiseman matching her intensity and maturity). She's one of the shriekingly best characters I've seen in a horror film this side of Adjani in Possession, but Davies is hugely sympathetic and her characterisation drives this film's intensity up the wall.
Rated 07 Jun 2015
Overhyped but definitely a worthwhile little psychological horror flick, with a few effectively creepy scenes along the way, and a simple yet iconic monster. The slow build up and Davis' performance makes for an interesting final act, that keeps the plot sufficiently ambiguous until the very end.
Rated 29 Aug 2019
the babadook is the gay icon we deserve.
Rated 02 Nov 2014
A brilliant first half, where reality slowly wears thinner from the everyday single-parent drudgery over unhealed scars into magnificent gaslighting of both the characters and the audience. Sadly, the second half spreads far too few ideas over far too many identical scenes that we've seen in other movies already. But stop watching around 60 minutes and it's one of the best horror movies of the year.
Rated 03 May 2015
I think the best approach is to see it as a mystery movie. That way you won't be disappointed by the lack of scares, but just feel a tad underwhelmed by the flimsiness of the plot.
Rated 29 Dec 2014
A movie teeming with uniformly spectacular illusions, save for its rather poor illusion of depth. It suffers from the unfortunate ailment common to many modern horror movies, of wanting to be an allegory about guilt (another recent chiller displaying this hubris was "As Above, So Below"). In fact, it is best enjoyed at face value - as a perfect visualization of a scary book coming to life and haunting a mother and child. The ideas and their performance and artistic rendering are ace.
Rated 17 Sep 2014
A tightly edited character-centric horror film that is effectively unnerving and genuinely creepy, successfully straddling the ambiguous line between the psychological and the supernatural. First horror film I've liked in years. Props to Davis for adding layers of dimension to her character.
Rated 02 Nov 2014
This is the kind of cutesy indie bullshit your AM talkback listening mother would think is scary. Eye-rollingly contrived, self-satisfied script and distractingly over-cooked, try-hard sets and costumes. Ugly as shit to look at. Ultimately feels like a film made by the worst kind of pretentious, shallow, teachers pet film students who think their work possesses considered gravitas. Doesn't deserve the acclaim at all. Fuck Australian cinema. Watch New Zealand's awesome 'Housebound' instead!
Rated 07 Oct 2015
Simple horror plot elevated by its metaphorical subtext and a masterful performance by Essie Davis. And what great imagery - the interior design of the house and the visuals of the book do much to help build the unnerving atmosphere. It's not perfect but it's a great effort, especially for a first film.
Rated 12 Dec 2014
I enjoyed this film, but not on terms of it being a "horror" film. For all I've heard about its "terrifying" nature (Friedkin, you've lost your marbles), I never found it anything more than unsettling. Yet, as a psychological thriller, it is notable in its interesting usage of depression and trauma as metaphors around which the main character's mental deterioration occurs. Overhyped, but still worth checking out.
Rated 13 Dec 2015
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how you make a horror movie!
Rated 18 Jan 2015
not the dog please :( ... kill your fucking child, if you like, but don't touch the dog!
Rated 26 Apr 2015
An uncomfortable and terrifying film, rendered vividly with dreary and surreal imagery, fantastic acting, and creepy sound design. The central repression metaphor is simple, but laid on thick and obvious. Eventually all subtlety is abandoned, and suggestion gives way to an oddly explicit and literalist final act. Even so, it's a unique horror story and a great movie.
Rated 05 Jan 2015
You don't often get a vibrator scene in a legit horror movie. "Psychological" is the name of the game, atmosphere to the nines, in what is hands-down my favorite horror movie of 2014, "overrated" to some or not. These characters say some of the most heinous things to each other; it's a very uncomfortable screenplay, which is part of what makes it so good. The Babadook character horrifies me, personally. I won't let a kinda-limp last 20 minutes ruin the whole. You should definitely check it out.
Rated 09 Jan 2015
This is the best "scary shit happens in a house" (yes, that's the title I've given the sub-genre) movie of the last decade, at least. It very clearly belongs in the same camp as Insidious, Sinister, The Conjuring, Mama, etc. But unlike most of those, this one earns every single scare that it delivers. No cheap jump scares, no over-the-top cgi blob creatures, just tightly-wound intense horror wrapped around a surprisingly adept emotional drama. Good stuff.
Rated 16 Nov 2015
As is usually the case, the external boogeyman is far less scary than the potential for horror you bury deep inside you - so the film's weakest moments involve trying to place a physical force behind the Dook, Dook, Dook. But in that respect the ending wins, because the resolution sits not so well at all.
Rated 03 Apr 2015
Avoiding most of the stale cliches of recent horror films, where scares come from "loud noises off", the BD relies on that skin crawling sense of dread that is so much more effective. As an insomniac, I know exactly what the monster is, and how the mother feels. Coupled with hideous loss, a troubled child who is "to blame", the monster takes physical form that threatens to overwhelm her completely, until she is able to keep it locked away for most of the time. Brilliant performance by Davis.
Rated 29 Oct 2018
One of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time, and while there are moments that degrade into a generic schlocky possession story the family dynamics were strong enough to make me care about the characters, and on a second viewing, the metaphor became a lot clearer to me, helping me to appreciate the film beyond the surface level.
Rated 11 Nov 2014
If REPULSION were made into a kid's movie that really isn't for kids, you'd have THE BABADOOK. Unfortunately, the slow and painful destruction of a woman's psyche is combined with a villain not too different from the Slender Man + Freddie Kruger. It also pulls some cheap shots (spoilers: killing cute dogs is too easy. Get a life, Australians). BUT, the surreal aesthetic is strong and there are some tried-and-true moments of tension. Recommendable.
Rated 06 Jan 2015
very good buildup, packed with unease and suspense. until the actual babadook shows up, who is laughably uncreepy, even his voice reminded me of animal from the muppets. afterwards, even the stellar performance of essie davis couldn't get me back in...maybe they should've gone without showing what lurked in the shadows, or just hinted at it. there also are some weird editing and story choices towards the end, meant to create tension i guess, but all they did was confuse me. 50 + 20 for essie.
Rated 27 Aug 2014
An excellent, chilling performance from Essie Davis and a few effective scenes doesn't save The Babadook from the fact it borrows too heavily from studio horror in it's stupidity and scares. It's emotional core is the only thing that really separates it from something like Insidious. Could have been better if it had ended a good 10 minutes earlier and had not a scene where the protagonist feeds the demon a bowl of worms.
Rated 22 Jun 2019
Whichever realtor manages to sell that house one day deserves a serious promotion.
Rated 04 Nov 2014
The finest horror film I've seen in quite a few years, a horrifying, devastating punch to the gut. The unassuming story - about a widowed single mother and her son's fear of monsters in their house - escalates and escalates to moments where the intensity is almost entirely unbearable; the emotions it generates as it traverses the difficult line between psychological horror and raw portrayal of mental illness are strong and all-consuming, grabbing hold of your psyche and not letting go.
Rated 23 Nov 2014
The Babadook is a scary creature and I actually enjoy its origins in a childrens book. It's a pretty decent drama with some genuinely creepy scenes but very few jump scares; jump scares aren't bad here and there once a creepy atmosphere has been built. In fact, they can be a good climax to a great scene. But it still builds that chilly atmosphere (which is infinitely more rewarding than repetitive jump scares by themselves) and despite some hokey moments, this is great stuff.
Rated 08 Jun 2015
A horror movie that is thematically deep yet just subtle enough through lack of dialogue and spare symbolism, tightly composed and painted with the hues of depression, and most shocking: actually scary and not just tense. Rarely in history has a horror movie achieved all these qualities, even among the supposed greats. With director Jennifer Kent we get a rare female perspective in a male-dominated genre, which also makes The Babadook a significant movie of its time and a major feminist article.
Rated 05 Nov 2015
Strikingly shot and smartly edited domestic horror with an ending that smacks of Blue Velvet. Essie Davis pours her blackened heart out onscreen and Jennifer Kent wrings a deliciously obnoxious performance from the kid to match her. It takes a real monster to do the puppy dirty like that, even the alien let the damn cat live.
Rated 14 Dec 2014
A single mother (Essie Davis), struggling to cope with her troubled son (Noah Wiseman), finds that they are both haunted by the same monster, and she begins to crumble under the stress. A poignant treatment of the travails of motherhood which doubles as a nerve-wracking horror film, it stands on the shoulders of Davis and Wiseman's superior performances; writer-director Jennifer Kent performs with great assurance. The third act loses the touching ambiguities of the first two, but still compels.
Rated 05 May 2015
A horror film that finally just about gets it right with the psychological aspect but can't help but fall into typical gimmicks. The possessed loved one, the kid with supernatural awareness, etc.. is very much rehash territory. It's still entertaining for what we get even if the whole family drama aspect feels a bit too lifetime channel and simplistic in its emotional manipulation. It's good they didn't try to explain or show too much of Babadook at least.
Rated 02 Nov 2015
I liked the design of everything, going for a turn of the century (19th into 20th) looking monster and occasional feel, but I don't know what it had to do with anything. The movie throughout screams "This is a metaphor! See all the symbolism?" And I do, I gotta hand it to it, I do. It kept my interest for a while, but when I realized that nothing scary was going to happen it started getting on my nerves. It's a very slow build and I don't think the monster works representing anything that well.
Rated 02 Dec 2015
The chilling mood created by startling sound effects and eerie visuals is amplified by stellar editing in both areas, as a wide and volatile volume spectrum along with quick scene cuts keep you on the edge of your seat. The truly spooky monster plot, meanwhile, is filled out nicely by the unsettling lead characters--a discomfortingly violent young boy and his tragic single mother (Davis is excellent). This is hard-working horror that relies on a well-crafted atmosphere instead of cheap scares.
Rated 09 Jan 2016
Very good.
Rated 29 Jul 2016
Can't believe it took me so long to see it. It's interesting how this film feels super German expressionist without using it as a gimmick.
Rated 28 Nov 2015
Sure the acting is surprisingly decent and the overall mood decidedly haunting, but all is for naught when we reach the final act and it's momentous reveal. Remember that time you first saw the Sixth Sense and were blown away by the twist? Well, Babadook's twist will have you wishing that you had watched the Sixth Sense instead, despite already knowing why Bruce Willis makes you want to grab a sweater when he enters the room.
Rated 29 Nov 2017
I'm going to have to deduct points for that little shit of a kid that ought to have been smothered with a pillow in the first twenty minutes of the movie. And maybe a few because it's a sloppy story that doesn't really make much sense. But I'll be damned if The Babadook himself didn't make a couple completely terrifying appearances.
Rated 21 Dec 2015
Rated 19 Feb 2015
Well made allegory for mental illness. Would have worked better if the kid was less of a weirdo off the bat though
Rated 26 Apr 2015
A psychological thriller, more than a horror film, that shows that the real horror lies inside our own minds. Babadook is the embodiment of repressed depression and sorrow slowly engulfing the life and even the body of the mother. After the wonderful and disturbing beginning the literal ending is a let-down, but overall it's a captivating and visually interesting film.
Rated 12 May 2015
So intense and disturbing that I didn't think I'd be able to sleep the night I saw it. An incredible film, but one I probably won't be watching again due to how (intentionally) unpleasant it was.
Rated 07 Dec 2014
Jennifer Kent's feature-length debut certainly does a lot with a little. From Méliès to Lynch to Polanski, she wears her horror influences on her sleeve. The film feels like a spiritual successor to Repulsion. I can already tell I'll spend a lot of time mentally hacking away at the metaphor at the center of it.
Rated 14 Apr 2015
As soon as Daniel Henshall appeared I got creeped out. Guess Snowtown affected me more than I realized. Wish he'd had a larger role in this.
Rated 19 Nov 2014
From the German Expressionist inspired visuals, to the handling of mental health issues, this film is great.
Rated 03 Jan 2015
Really dug this. However, I prefer movies that leave me with a lingering sense of fear (that wasn't the point of this movie, so it worked here).
Rated 23 Feb 2015
This is a horror film. There is a haunted single mother character who doesn't believe her delinquent son character about the ghost character, and there are some things that move in the background, and things that disappear and reappear. There are indeed clichés, and there is that 'creepy, suspenseful atmosphere.' What makes this a better and more enjoyable horror film than most others is that, despite its low budget, it is extremely well acted, well filmed, and generally very well made.
Rated 06 Jan 2016
Sound design for the monster was really well done and that's about it.
Rated 18 Dec 2014
This is definitely one of those nasty little films that could give you nightmares. However, as a horror film it didn't tick that many boxes for me. Yes, the possessed parent was a twist on the genre, but overall the elements the film brought together seemed quite derivative of what we have seen before, be it Insidious/Paranormal or Exorcist/Carrie era. The film was slick, creepy and well-acted but some of the paranormal episodes felt random and didn't contribute to a bigger picture. Overrated.
Rated 05 Jan 2015
A wonderful, shadowy atmosphere paired with Essie Davis's horrific (in a good way) performance propels The Babadook above many in the genre. Fuck that kid.
Rated 12 May 2015
I was super hyped up for this, but I was sort of disappointed. It had a lot of cliches like killing the dog, a possessed mother, and some poorly executed jump scares. As a scary movie, the Babadook somewhat failed. However, in terms of sheer creepy atmosphere and character exploration, it succeeded very well. It seemed to me as though the Babadook largely served as the mother's grief and denial personified, and I thought it was a nice twist. it shows us that loss is not only sad, but terrifying.
Rated 29 Oct 2014
Fantastic move that couples its horror on the characters psychological turmoil and never lets go for a second. Among the scares there's a great concept being built with the totemic cockroaches, the problem in parental relationships and the lone Cronenbergian reference that just make you wish for a stronger ending.
Rated 25 Dec 2014
Nice slow burner of a psychological horror film in the vein of Rosemary's Baby or The Exorcist, with a few nods to Murnau's Nosferatu. It's directed with inventiveness and assurance and the lead performance by Essie Davis is fantastic. The sound design is superlative, and that's the thing that generated most of the creepiness for me. A real spine tingler.
Rated 04 Feb 2015
Exceptional, graceful filmmaking - more likely an incredible fluke than the signalling of a major talent, but all the same, I'll take what I can get from Australia's film industry, and I am proud to be able to say that such a remarkable achievement is a product of my homeland.
Rated 13 Jul 2015
It's not a bad little horror movie. A lot of the "scariest" things are in the trailer, and I think it is less of a supernatural horror movie than it seems to project. It has much more of a psychological leaning. I was in love with it when I saw the trailer, but it didn't blow me away or even frighten me as much as I thought it would.
Rated 17 Nov 2016
Home Alone + Repulsion (if Repulsion was rightfully written by a woman) = The Babadook
Rated 21 Apr 2015
More of a Thriller drama than a horror movie, this movie is unsettling because of how a family falls apart. The monster is shown just not enough to be a little disappointing. The acting of a single mother going through problems is real enough that most of the horror comes from that
Rated 01 Jan 2023
Relentless and constant dread in the vein of Repulsion. Which of course is a good thing.
Rated 23 Nov 2014
Blurring the lines between the psychological and the supernatural, The Babadook manages to pull off both.
Rated 06 Feb 2015
Wonderfully atmospheric, slow-moving and original horror movie. While the ending is a bit silly, the movie is really unpleasant in the way you want horror movies to be. The trailer is kind of misleading in that it makes the movie seem like another modern day jump scare horror, when it's literally a quite different beast. This is the first horror movie in years to make me feel genuinely uneasy, and that's without relying on cheap tricks like jump scares, gore and multiple characters killed.
Rated 18 Apr 2015
Certainly among the scariest films to get released in recent times. Plus it's got the intellectual charm of a feminine Shining that dissects motherhood for the harrowing and horrifying experience it is (or seems to be at least). It does run out of steam a bit by the third act, losing some of the uncanny dread of an inexplicable crawling nightmare. Biggest drawback: the exquisitely bone-chilling sound effects in the first act bloom into what is literally a canned roar of a toy dinosaur.
Rated 27 Nov 2015
Great to see a horror movie not have to rely on gore or jump-scares. This is as creepy as it gets and it's completely in the performances and how convincing the story is. Feeding off the very real emotions of fear and grief, it's also very easier to relate to which makes it scarier. Not just for horror fans.
Rated 19 Dec 2015
dude............awesome. im usually long winded. just to give you an idea.........
Rated 01 Dec 2014
From the acting to the direction to the ambiguous but deft handling of complex themes, this is easily one of the best horror films I've ever seen. The film is cleverly built around an event that leads to an intense feeling of loss and regret. The viewer must determine whether these emotions entice the Babadook to the home or if the Babadook is... well... something else entirely.
Rated 11 Sep 2018
This manages to hit on everything that I love about horror: the tension, atmosphere, characters, and the thematic lens through which the horror derives. It has some great performances from the two leads. Why is it not rated higher? The film presents about a half-dozen themes and only halfheartedly develops them before the third act when it finally decides to focus on one and almost completely drop the others. If it were not for this fact I would call it great.
Rated 02 Jan 2016
The only horror movie my family likes. There must be much more in it that I can see.
Rated 27 Nov 2014
The Babadook is better than your average horror movie, since it lies to you and makes you think it's about real-life horrors and not those of a monster-hiding-in-the-closet variety, and in doing so becomes thought-provoking and genuinely scary. Sure, it doesn't exactly turn out that way, but at least for a good 20-30 minutes, it does this and is very effective. The rest of the movie is competent and the lead actor, Essie Davis, is really great. Not a must-see, but horror fans should see it.
Rated 30 Nov 2021
Metascore üyeleri algoritması : siyahi, gay, kadın yönetmen +40puan Lgbt+yahudi soykırımı ve ırkçılık muhabbetleri +30 puan.. (hiç çocuk sahibi olmamış kişiler film çekmesin lütfen. Daha doğrusu hayatında çocuk görmemişler)
Rated 14 Mar 2016
This is an original and well made horror film. Essie Davis gives a fantastic performance in this film. The script works and Jennifer Kent does an excellent job at creating this horror film. I highly recommend this movie.
Rated 20 Apr 2015
A very creepy and atmospheric horror film, The Babadook is an interesting film that uses 'psychological' horror in a unique and different way that really makes the film creepy and unsettling. The score in The Babadook really helped convey the tone of the film. It's a decent horror flick worth seeing, check it out.
Rated 27 Dec 2014
Simple setup and basic structures help immensely. The environments are monotone and distant. Sound is used well with only a few jump scares.
Rated 08 Feb 2018
This is pretty silly, especially since I watched this after watching Under the Shadow, which is basically strictly better. OK flick with respectable thematic relevance.
Rated 18 Jul 2016
A pretty insufferable child character, but beyond that this is a fantastic psychological horror.
Rated 14 Apr 2015
Ridiculous name, great movie. Mature, character-based, strong direction, excellent performances. Essie Davis might give the best central female performance in a horror film since Nicole Kidman in The Others.
Rated 26 Nov 2014
A psychological allegory with a beautifully designed monster and much unpleasantness to go with it. A more experienced director would have found a more elegant visual grammar, but I like that the horror genre is used for what I enjoy most about it - personal demons.
Rated 08 Dec 2015
So incredibly basic plot and plot-twist done in a minimalistical and elegant way.
Rated 04 Jan 2015
Actually one of the better horror movies I've seen recently. The ending was a little silly, and the child really annoying but I guess that's part of the role.
Rated 13 May 2015
*SPOILERS* In my opinion, The Babadook is a massive metaphor for depression and how this lady and her child cope with it. they've both lost someone and its the bogeyman in the night that she doesn't want to confront. She keeps it(her husband) locked away in the basement and similarly locked away in her mind, holding it back, but "the more you deny it, the more it becomes real" as she slowly loses her fight with depression, she manages to realize her child matters more and overcomes the darkness.
Rated 02 Nov 2014
Very complex in connecting its supernatural terror to the potential disintegration of a widow's sanity. Davis is fantastic as she runs the gauntlet of emotion. It's a good horror movie but possibly a better psychological examination of grief and stress. Some threads dangle a little too loosely for it all to come together, but it's designed well enough to overcome it all.
Rated 18 Apr 2015
Effectively unsettling. It's tension is ratcheted up almost immediately, even before the monster is in the picture. Essie Davis is outstanding and while the kid seems ultra annoying it serves the plot so I can't hold it against him. The cinematography and sound design are also top notch and add to the plots creepiness perfectly. My only complaint revolves around the ending. I don't have a suggestion about how it should have gone but the ending it got didn't feel right to me.