2022
Crime
In his second year of fighting crime, Batman uncovers corruption in Gotham City that connects to his own family while facing a serial killer known as the Riddler (wikipedia.com).

2022
Crime

Rated 07 Mar 2022
Starring Matt Reeves as David Fincher.
Rated 06 Mar 2022
Damn good. This is probably the best-looking Batman movie and I loved this iteration and look and feel of Gotham City. That was captured to a T. Pattinson was really good as a Bruce Wayne who has only been home for two years, who still makes errors and stays out of public eye if he can help it. I loved him, and I loved this story. It was grounded and gritty, perfectly cast, beautifully made and the detective story I’ve always wanted to see in a Batman movie. One of the best for sure.
Rated 23 Apr 2022
I've never seen someone touted as the world's greatest detective go so far to ignore that a rat with wings is a bat. Colin Farrel actually doing whatever the hell Jared Leto thinks he is doing.
Rated 04 Mar 2022
It avoids being a standard superhero movie by borrowing from Klute, Chinatown, and Se7en. The latter's especially obvious as it's essentially Wright as Morgan Freeman & Pattinson is Brad Pitt in a bat costume. The vibe's cool until the final act's silly action. But before then it's on shaky ground via simplistic class politics and a subpar villain. Also I wish it explored Bruce Wayne's humanity in a new way. It's fine for comic fans, but for beginners there are better Batman flicks.
Rated 05 Mar 2022
Some of the nicely streamlined plot elements in Reeves' always entertaining crime story mood piece about Gotham might be a bit too convenient, but the interesting ensemble, Fraser's striking visuals and Michael G.'s freaking amazing minimalistic theme do a lot of heavy lifting.
Rated 03 Mar 2022
Ignores the very foundation on which Batman is built by favouring mood and plot above theme and character. So while Pattinson tackles the part with verve and vigour, it mostly felt like watching an emo vigilante trying to solve an unexciting and instantly forgettable mystery in which the gimp from Pulp Fiction seeks validation via his TikTok profile and Colin Farrell’s Penguin was raised in Queens. I was bored stiff.
Rated 06 Mar 2022
Does for Gotham what Heat did for LA. It’s as much about the City as its Shadow - the pulse of a score, the sad desolation in its streets, betrays its sins as if in mourning, weeping and then flooding over. Pattinson’s Batman rightfully looms, oppressively, over his city and its alleys and haunts in a way no other filmed version nailed before. And ever-so-subtly, The Batman comes to see he not only serves as a symbol of vengeance, but of a kind of hope, as well. An authentic vision.
Rated 04 Mar 2022
Matt Reeves blew my mind with The Batman. The lives captured by the corrupt, rotten, gloomy Gotham, the reflection of these lives in the story, the use of horror elements are amazing. All the characters are great. The visuals are incredible. I cannot predict what will happen in the future. I'm so excited. (03/04/2022 - Cinemaximum Metrogarden)
Rated 06 Mar 2022
While The Dark Knight remains a better film, this is the best *Batman* film to date. As a contrast to the resent renditions, this films toned down, gritty and sprawling noir tale feels both refreshing and warranted. Sure, the film should have been trimmed down to a lean two hours. and it occasionally feels the need to be a bit too explicit in its exposition, but all in all this Gotham is a hellhole I'd love to revisit.
Rated 03 Mar 2022
I don't know, I can't put my finger on it, but it all falls apart when your villian is a pencil neck like Dano or Eisenberg. So the key takeaway is, Marvel = Big guns and gods playing around like kids vs. DC = nerds taking themselves too serious and trying to pass as threatening thugs. Just lame once you see through it.
Rated 05 Mar 2022
For me, this hits every checkmark on the Batman list. The scenery and score are pure wish fulfillment when it comes to a live action Gotham City. Pattinson's performance works really well as Batman (though I'd have liked a more fleshed out Bruce Wayne) and the story unfolds in a very satisfying way. Some of the dialogue is too redundant, some scenes drag a bit, could have balanced the Riddler and Penguin story arcs a bit more, but for what we got I was thoroughly pleased. Excited for more!
Rated 05 Mar 2022
Dark and almost horror in some sequences, raw: it returns trhills in dirty fashion. Authorial in its direction and still hyping as a classic blockbuster. Maybe a little lenghty but never boring or annoying.
Rated 05 Mar 2022
A funereal, whispered atmosphere accompanies the Batman, imagined this time as a fist-fighting emo detective in an internal affairs plot. The haunting score carries the soothing style – romantic and terrifying, the closest analogy I find isn’t only Seven but Blade Runner, where you could also fall asleep at any minute. It is disorienting in any case, editing included. If this becomes a cult classic, it's not because of the overdetermined text, but for the mighty, confident texture.
Rated 06 Mar 2022
Pattinson's soulless depiction somehow works and makes for the most alluring version of the hero yet. Despite this, and having an intoxicating eternally nocturnal Gotham City, the film is ultimately written too safe and with too much compromise to elevate it above the crop of standard blockbuster fare. Does leave a good aftertaste thanks to its aesthetic and archetypal successes.
Rated 10 Mar 2022
Reeves made himself a heck of a Batman movie; among the best. Would have maybe appreciated a bit more exposition on THIS Batman in the early goings. As dark and heavy as advertised. Wish we had 10-15% more Paul Dano because he was massive in limited screen time, and this version of Riddler was thematically interesting. R-Pat's young Batman is satisfyingly uncomfortable with being Bruce Wayne, setting him apart from his immediate predecessors, and his performance is insulated with a great cast.
Rated 03 Mar 2022
It’s not Batman as you’ve never seen him, but The Batman both builds on what’s come before, and leaves the character in a much different place at the end. Released on the heels of Ben Affleck’s tenure in Wayne Manor and less than a decade after The Dark Knight Rises (with everything from Gotham to The LEGO Batman Movie in between), a lesser film might have invited Bat-fatigue. Instead, The Batman plays like a fresh chapter likely to leave viewers wanting to know what happens next.
Rated 04 Mar 2022
It was a wise decision to trade in superhero tropes for a procedural detective story, up until the last act, at least, which traded in the forensics and puzzle solving for an anticlimactic and mediocre action set piece. Which means watching the unfolding of the mystery was more interesting than the secrets it ultimately reveals. And oh yeah, Mr. Reeves, buddy, WE GOT IT, you saw Se7en and you really liked it. That implied cameo at the end needed to go.
Rated 04 Mar 2022
I was really hyped, but I set my expectations kinda low. And this absolutely crushed all of them. Robert Pattinson is a great Batman, and isn't even that far off of Bale. I also loved Zoë Kravits and my dear nutcase Paul Dano. Greig Fraser's cinematography is stunning, and it sets the perfect gritty and gnarly mood for The Batman. Three hours flew by! This kicked ass.
Rated 05 Mar 2022
This movie isn't a batman movie or a good movie, but it sure was a long movie. Fuck the batman.
Rated 05 Mar 2022
The first half of this is as good (or better) than any Batman film has ever been. I was impressed by how evocative and compelling Matt Reeves’ work is here. Ultimately, the back half of this does weigh things down considerably as it gets oppressively plotty and excessively peppered with scenes of revelatory exposition. But even then, this boasts more vision and remarkable craft at its worst than 90% of its contemporaries do at their best.
Rated 06 Mar 2022
Patman is not as terrifying as Batfleck, but more than Bale. I liked his performance; it's not legendary but it's great. Same goes for everyone. Dug Dano. But I love this movie. Reeves drenched this in broody, Batman atmosphere. Neat camera angles. Used darkness well. Showed Batman as rough around the edges effectively. Cool soundtrack; epic, moody, but also occasionally subtly menacing. Interesting story, some decent twists. Fight scenes were short but sweet, wish there were more.
3 hours ! Seriously !
Rated 31 Mar 2022
If only it kept the shadowy noir mystery feeling of the 1st half. The 2nd half squanders all that by favoring frontal assaults with full plot armor and an unnecessary plot twist. Needed more maskless Dano and Pattinson. Beautifully lit shots. Like most movies nowadays, this could have cut 1/3. Some of the political messages seemed like they were trying to score points but too afraid to go all the way. Fav scenes: guns going off in the dark; Batmobile chase from the first reveal to the ramp.
Rated 21 Apr 2022
*sees the bat signal* "Okay but let me apply my eyeliner first"
Rated 11 Mar 2022
Not really a superhero movie, more a guy in a costume doing some detective work from a fucking cave while being super bummed out all the time. Gotham looks absolutely shitty in all the best ways and none of the villains feel outlandish or too cartoonish. Pattinson delivers, but everone else pulls their weight as well. Even if you cannot actually see the faces of most of the characters at any time their on screen. Also, fucking great car chase!
Rated 20 Jan 2024
Batman: The Detective. There is much to love about the direction that Reeves took the Caped Crusader, building a world of gritty noir held together by great performances from Pattinson, Dano and especially Farrell. The movie is too long and should have saved at least one character for the sequel (Catwoman would be my suggestion), yet considering the plethora of bland superhero movies to come out these past years, this one of the few you don’t want to miss.
Rated 26 Apr 2022
After watching this I found it hard to recall exactly what it was about or why I should care about anyone in it. Only three things stuck in my mind: Colin Farrell's name appearing in the titles as The Penguin, Paul Dano's embarrassing performance as the least menacing, most childish villain this side of the Chucky movies, and the excruciatingly long run time. On a re-watch though if you can ignore Paul Dano - who's only in it for a few minutes - it's pretty enjoyable as a grungy mood piece.
Rated 06 Mar 2022
Wow. Wow wow wow. It's wonderful to see a superhero done properly. The cast are great, the look and sound work very well, even the runtime doesn't feel long. If they plan to do more with Pattinson et al, I'm in.
Rated 07 Mar 2022
Emo Batman vs Incel man is about an hour too long but looks very good.
Rated 07 Mar 2022
There is a lot to like about this new iteration of the Dark Knight. Pattinson/Kravitz more than hold their own in their roles, and should be a duo we continue to see. Reeves did a very good job of stamping his vision for this world, capturing the bleak & gross reality of Gotham. It was a very good first entry. However, the constant monologues & exposition really pad this runtime too much to the point it could’ve cut about 20 minutes. Regardless, not too many complaints here.
Rated 07 Mar 2022
Gotham really lives and breathes as its own character in this movie and Matt Reeves really relies heavily on the shadows to help create the effect of a down trodden city in desperate need of a hero. There lies Pattinson's Bruce Wayne as broken as the city he was born into and desperate to fix the cracks in the cities foundation. A brilliant look at all the moving parts of Gotham and the evil that threatens to take it over. Fantastic performances from everyone involved in the film.
Beautiful!
Rated 09 Mar 2022
Didn't need a detective story to take three hours, after which the murky visuals exhausted my retinas. There's a reason noir's sweet spot is about 90 minutes. I do enjoy Pattinson's aura of cold spite, I like a Batman that's had it up to here with the shit. But the villain juggling kept me from caring about any of them or the plot threading them together by the end.
Rated 11 Mar 2022
The most dysfunctional & emo Bruce Wayne ever, but he's rarely onscreen & we'd rather watch Bats anyway. This is also the least flakey & whim-driven Catwoman and Kravitz slips into the Darwyn Cooke outfit perfectly. But the movie's way too long bc Reeves felt the need to attach a new storyline in the 3rd hour to set up a sequel & smear internet white guys (Riddler reveals TONS of corruption but ONLY white males join him). Despite the toxic Wokeness, there's some great performances & solid action
Rated 12 Mar 2022
Incredibly long, loses steam near the end, exhausting, and probably the last "dark" movie I'll ever care for, but this delivers what I want to see in a Batman movie. Overwhelming texture, detective mysteries, and loads and loads of mental issues. Every other Batman film just ignores how messed up Bruce Wayne is - but here Pattinson really embodies the nihilistic neurosis that drives Batman to do what he does. Helps too that he's hot as hell with all that eyeshadow smudged everywhere, lol!
Rated 13 Mar 2022
I’m not sure why, but I think I’ll like this even more on rewatch. As of right now, I think it’s a beautifully shot, if not a little too dark, film with some great performances and a fantastic noir vibe. I think the one weakness is a sequence near the end. It felt tacked on to me and not unlike the dark knight and the boats.
Rated 16 Mar 2022
Thank you Penguin for standing up for Spanish grammar
Rated 10 Jul 2022
While Nolan's trilogy lacked none of the serious darkness in "The Batman", what Reeves impresses upon the character is a degree of realism that the character has yet to see on film. This move towards procedural crime is a creative decision that only feels fitting for a character nicknamed "The World's Greatest Detective". Batman, here is not a superhero, he is a talented vigilante, one with a personal investment in crime fighting, which has always been what makes me love him.
Rated 19 Apr 2022
I didn't really care for the film that much I just think Robert Pattinson is very hot.
Rated 20 Mar 2022
Disappointing but at least not boring. Turturro, the score and the photography are good and Penguin's prosthetics top-notch (wtf happened to his screen time tho), however the film is bogged down by ridiculous dialogues, self-serious pomposity, non-existent character insight, a rudimentary mystery, soap-opera reveals, nerveless twists, scarce, unoriginal and unexciting action, almost no gadgets or Batmobile and a risible, unwarranted, cringey romance. DC dropping the ball for the umpteenth time.
Rated 07 May 2024
It's possible that I'm the oldest person in existence but I'm slow to heap praise on Matt Reeves for FINALLY taking the Batman franchise in a darker moodier direction when Tim Burton did it and then Christopher Nolan did it and while I may not have affinity for it, Zack Snyder as well. Feel free to enjoy, honestly. I guess I'm a bit checked out at this point. I'm curious though if you want a more serious version of Speed. Imagine doing this with Kung Fu Hustle.
Rated 22 Apr 2022
if there's a fine line between awesome and ridiculous, this movie rather slurs than walks it. it's up there with the better caped crusader outings, but...might be super-hero-fatigue or pandemic-fatigue or whatever...i think i've seen enough masks for at least a dozen lifetimes now.
Rated 24 Mar 2022
I enjoyed it, more than I expected. A pretty nice Batman film and I like that the detective part of his character played a larger role this time around rather than just being an action hero. Great visuals. Entertaining despite the 3 hour running time. Though it could have been shorter, have a bit less exposition and less clichés, it succeeds in atmosphere and makes for a badass Batman flick.
Rated 03 Mar 2022
we haven't gotten a comic book movie this good in a while, and because of that people are gonna forgive its goofiness and its teetering-on-edge-of-an-R-rating w/o-actually-getting-one: but it's good, still. good job, Mr. The Batman.
Rated 04 Mar 2022
A well crafted atmosphere and set, but it was not a very intriguing mystery (most questions were answered seconds later or at the most convenient time which isn't great for a film about riddles) and the last act was kinda weak. It did have some great scenes like the second opener showing the fear in Gotham. I liked it, but It is far too long.
Rated 04 Mar 2022
The noir mood and atmosphere are super thick and initially intoxicating (and R-Pattz is one of the better in-the-suit Batmen), but it’s long as hell and the pacing gradually becomes deadly. People called Nolan’s trilogy dark and brooding, but this film makes The Dark Knight look like a brisk, crowd-pleasing blockbuster. The black mayor chick was cuter than Catwoman, why is the cutest chick in the movie the mayor lol
Rated 04 Mar 2022
Wasn’t a fan of Emo Batman. Sorry Robert Pattinson. Film was just a bit bleh and felt like it was trying too hard to emulate Christopher Nolan and David Fincher. In the end, the mystery was a bit meh and not worth the three hours of what was mostly a run-of-the-mill Superhero film lacking much excitement or thrill. The Riddler was a bit lame too. Forgotten most of the movie and characters already. Underwhelming.
Rated 05 Mar 2022
Overall, probably a good movie. Still mixed on certain things. Paul Dano hamming it the fuck up was hilarious but I don't know if that was the intention. Not sure how to feel about Riddler being some 4chan school shooter type. Felt too long, could have cut out some side plots and really flesh out the Riddler. Pattinson was alright but he should've bulked up a little more. Batmobile was great. This Gotham is easily the best live action interpretation I've seen, great atmosphere and look.
3 hours that felt like 90 minutes
Rated 25 Apr 2022
I thought the first three hours of the film or so were pretty good, I started to tune out at around hour four but they got me back with the sixty eighth and final ending (nice Nolan homage). The plot is remarkably idiotic. Pattinson is a nonentity and so is Batman who basically reacts to things others have discovered. Each Batman film gets longer and grittier, in 2030 the new Batman will be six hours and he’ll be a bum smothered in bat entrails who protects a pile of ashes.
Rated 06 Mar 2022
Reeves, Fraser, Giacchino... what a trio! Gotham never looked and sounded this good before. It needs a quality movie cinema to really shine. So be sure to invest in the experience. Reeves got it right: Batman is more of a detective than a (super)hero. Remind you, DC stands for Detective Comics, the series that introduced Batman. loved almost every 175 minutes of it.
Rated 06 Mar 2022
Matt Reeves is pretty good at this blockbuster thing, huh? Fraser and Giacchino ensure it looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous, while the cast are superb, especially Pattinson, who is my new favourite on-screen Batman. It’s refreshing to see a Batman movie actually be a detective story, and I appreciated the focus on systemic corruption, social media radicalisation, and interrogating the grimdark version of Bats (the darkness frequently goes back around to just being camp, which rules).
Rated 12 Sep 2022
Living in Gotham City would suck. Not only is everything corrupt, but it rains everyday, and no one smiles. The Joker is the funniest guy in this city and that's only because no one else even tries. Someone whispered the words "Zodiac" to get me to watch this, and this was three exhausting hours. The Wikipedia article for this film is longer than the article about the Korean War. I did like that the Penguin was made to look and sound like De Niro.
Rated 07 Mar 2022
Dark-emo billionaire heir solves terrible riddles while being lightly lectured on social justice despite not caring about or understanding any of it. I respect the heavy noir vibe, it worked well, but there's only so much of it you can take in before you start thinking about the really bland plot and barely developed characters. I'm glad people liked it, but it mostly bored me and made me cringe. Penguin was good though, I didn't even recognize Colin Farrell somehow.
Rated 25 Apr 2022
Though Bruce Wayne is still a billionaire, this film takes a low-key and granular approach to Batman's early years without focus on any playboy glamour. Detective work & emotional turmoil over fancy toys & big fights. Though there are still dynamic action sequences, this has more of a raw, independent film feel than we've seen with this world in live-action depictions. Burton gave us the comic book films, Nolan brought big budget realism, Reeves gives us the the graphic novel adaptation.
Rated 24 Apr 2022
incredibly boring and self-important. is this a genre exercise with a facade of superhero bullshit? there's nothing interesting in the plot, cinematography, characters, direction... it feels like someone made a relatively average genre exercise with that wolverine and now they think they can redeem every superhero flick by approaching it as if it's more than what it is.
Rated 10 Mar 2022
I'm genuinely surprised by how good the visuals are in this film. Best Gotham depiction in the franchise. I love the new Batman profile too. Although she might be the best catwoman cast to this date, she and batman didn't show that chemistry.
Rated 11 Mar 2022
I really enjoyed this. Three hours is a bit too much, and the second action-driven climax feels tacked onto the film (and is wildly implausible), but that's a relatively small complaint. I never liked the Nolan Batman films because they felt like films made by someone who didn't really care about Batman at all. This feels like a film made by someone who likes the Year One, Long Halloween, Arkham Knight videogames Batman and made a really smart film inspired by what he likes.
Rated 12 Mar 2022
Reeves was wise to focus on an era of Batman we haven’t seen much of in film adaptations. Pattinson sells it phenomenally, though I do hope he learns to crack a smile in the next iteration. Visually this was a stunner, a perfect amalgamation of Burton and Nolan with plenty of Fincher and Demme influence sprinkled into this noir crime thriller. What sets this apart from the Snyderverse is this is a Real Movie with emotional stakes and satisfyingly explored themes. It earns our appreciation.
Rated 22 Apr 2022
A feast for the eyes and ears. From the first shot I was enamored with the cinematography of this thing. My appreciaton for its' atmosphere and style only grew as it went on. Confident filmmaking like this is sorely needed in the genre. Grim and "realistic" but not afraid to be zany around the edges. Loved the repetative score and Pattinson. The script doesn't match the overall quality however. A lackluster third act and trying to say too many things hampers the parts that really work.
Rated 13 Mar 2022
Brilliant new interpretation of the old Batman story. I liked how the director cut out comic outlooks of familiar characters and build them more realistic direction. The running time was too long; could work better as shorter version. The dark Gotham City was murky and interesting.
Rated 13 Mar 2022
So I think Batman is supposed to be Trump, and the Riddler is Q (or Jigsaw)? And the conclusion is when Trump came out and said to take the vaccine? Am I going anywhere with this. I think I understand my logic slightly more than anyone thinking Matt Reeves can actually direct a movie. At least Robert Pattinson does nothing offensive, (i.e. try to act) unlike the rest of the cast or Christian Bale before him. Watch Seven instead.
Rated 14 Mar 2022
A good Batman flick. Slower with more focus on detective work. Well shot, Pattinson did well. Overall pretty great.
Rated 06 Apr 2022
The devil is in the detail, and on a technical level, it’s the best Batman movie yet - from cinematography, editing and iconic shots to score and casting (especially the smaller parts). The story drags occasionally but it’s seriously hard to complain.
Rated 17 Mar 2022
I certainly don't want every big budget superhero movie to turn into a three hour gritty crime procedural in which you can hardly see anything, but against all expectations this film really pulled it off.
Rated 17 Mar 2022
There was very little I didn’t love about it. Reeves & Patterson embody a ‘Year Two’ Batman/Wayne perfectly. The film gives short shrift to Bruce Wayne, focussing instead on The Bat, just as a young Batman would obsessively do. We’re presented with Wayne & Batman as partially formed entities yet to become what many expect of them. It’s achieved with beautifully bleak style and atmosphere, and stand-out moments of graphic novel homage. Possibly as close as we’ll ever get to ‘page to big screen’.
Rated 21 May 2022
A very well produced movie with great performances, but it would be perfect if it had an hour less.
Rated 23 Apr 2022
Articles are important but in this case misleading. There is nothing 'definitive' about this latest iteration of Batman, and Reeves simply takes the character even further in the direction of 'real man', which makes Nolan's films seem almost fantastical by comparison. Stylistically it is Begins by way of Seven, and some scenes even reminded this viewer of Zodiac. The plot is a rote detective story that takes 3 hours to unfold. Why?
Rated 21 Mar 2022
Still a bit problematic politically of course but I guess that's just Batman and nowhere near the right wing vibe of Nolan but I'm sorry I cannot give a fuck about this when everything works so well. Cast, visual style, cinematography, score are all on point and it feels less ridiculous and more detailed than Nolan's world. Also did Bob Kane start the MPAA? How in fuck can this be a PG-13. An actual 13 year old would be fine but a kid seeing this is surely gonna be traumatised by it?
Rated 23 Mar 2022
While I think the movie has some issues with pacing, as you do end up feeling the length, I otherwise think this movie is really well made. Gorgeous visuals, a memorable soundtrack, and a great story that focuses on the detective aspect of Batman, while still having great action. Pattinson does great in the role, as I expected, although he's not my favorite. Paul Dano is captivating as Riddler, although I don't think everything about the character works perfectly.
Rated 22 Apr 2022
Misses its commentary mark by making its riddling hero incite the capitol riots, but at least the visuals are great. Dano and his doughy face are genuinely chilling as the Riddler and Pattinson is surprisingly believable as an 18 year old emo kid. The noir is very silly and delivered very serious - this, along with its visual panache, means it feels like a proper comic book movie. It is very long, too; there’s a lot to unpack here.
Rated 25 Mar 2022
More detective noir than superhero flick, Pattinson was surprisingly good at playing a younger, moodier Bruce. He's more tormented and unsure of himself, and that can be seen in his actions too (note how he fights and makes mistakes). The Riddler was a superb villain, akin to a modern hacktivist group instead of your classic nutjob. I found myself getting a little lost amongst the samey targets of his, thankfully they repeated names often enough. Visually and audibly spectacular as well.
Rated 03 Mar 2022
Rpat is the best batman ever
Rated 05 Mar 2022
Did not agree with the director’s choice to introduce the riddler by saying “I’m the riddler, bitch!”
Rated 05 Mar 2022
kapitalizm dostu, anarşizm-sol görüşlerin düşmanı olmasaydı bile berbat kurgusu, onlarca mantık hatasıyla 60 veremezdim. millet ne kadar rahat ya anlayamıyorum. atmosfer ve paul dano hariç hiçbir şey izlemeye değmez.
Rated 06 Apr 2022
I love Batman, and this is a great Batman movie. Simple as.
Rated 06 Mar 2022
Wow. A movie that takes place almost entirely at night or in dark places, but you can actually see things. What a novel idea.
Rated 07 May 2022
The plot and politics are a bit ? (the climactic jail confrontation could've been unpacked more) but everything else is !-the tunes (Nirvana and also the emotive, ever-present score), the turns, and especially the unique tone, with its sly layer of superhero cheese underneath the super-serious noir (see the heavy exposition between Batman and Gordon) and moody character study (see the bookending voiceovers). Great ending (see the rethinking of "I'm vengeance" and then the silent ride together).
Rated 26 Mar 2022
Solid, solid stuff. The crime subplots get a little murky - there's one sidebar that goes on far too long - but overall, a great interpretation of a very specific Batman. Everyone plays the roles they've been given well, the only weak point is that it's unnecessarily long.
Rated 04 May 2022
I'm an absolute slut for Batman, and this shit was crack. I really loved how Batman was actually being a detective in this. It shows a very perceptive and observant side to him that I don't feel like we've seen enough of film-wise. I thought Pattinson did a great job and played the part well. Kravitz was my favorite Catwoman portrayal so far. The cinematography and score are really what stood out to me and are on another level. Very good and well worth a watch, I give 9 vengeances out of 10.
Rated 07 Mar 2022
Clock-punching tedium. Our hero, the great detective, pulls a real boner in this one by thinking the phrase "rat with wings" refers to a pigeon, and then to a literal bat. Got better toward the end. The music seems more responsive and involved than in most superhero movies. I wonder who the first character in Batman history was to make fun of the costume before getting beat up.
Rated 07 Mar 2022
Could have been great if they'd trimmed it down. Amazing cinematography, very moody and dark. Great sound. Strong cast. Pattinson makes a good Batman. They realised the city very well. Really strong start introducing the city and Batman as a symbol of vengeance. The detective story and the riddler are compelling. At times it feels like a companion piece to Joker. There's a lot to like, but then it keeps going and going and going and really doesn't have the story or journey to justify the runtime
Rated 26 Mar 2022
Not as good as Dark Knight but better than almost every single Marvel movie. It should have been a little bit shorter though. The Joker deleted scene makes the sequel look very promising.
Rated 08 Mar 2022
It is a real batman movie than a superhero movie. It is dark, smart and aesthetic. Do not forget DC stands for dedective comics
Rated 08 Mar 2022
The Batman thankfully follows in the steps of its predecessors by keeping its story on a more human scale. When everyone else have already one-upped themselves half across the universe, its nice to have a story about one city, its crime and corruption. It still falls short in how it tackles a lot of these themes however, where ultimately Gothams problems can often be scapegoated on a few bad people in power and not the systems that put them there.
Rated 31 Mar 2023
So realistic and down-to-hell that you can't help but wonder how is anyone wearing those fancy costumes. Or why exactly is this a Batman movie? Just for B.O.? Hey, you couldn't get away with a gloomy, lavish 3 hour police story if it wasn't Batman, right?
Rated 11 Mar 2022
Interesting scenes in the club and during the car chase, good sound and athmosphere. Overall pretty forgettable, the ending's climax a bit underwhelming compared to the other highs of the movie. I thought the villain was great up until his discover. It's cool that he sort of reflects a type of character that is present in the modern society, but it's still disappointing that it's just a nerd
Rated 14 Dec 2022
I enjoyed the film, but, for me, Robert Pattinson just isn't Batman.
Rated 26 Mar 2022
Excellent. Though a darker and more gothic version, I liked that it focused on the investigative side as well. Loved the suit, car, score and casting.
Rated 16 Mar 2022
I mean it’s almost a movie for adults. If you squint a little it’s a Fincher movie just with one of the cops dressed up as a bat for some reason. Would be cool if we could get a movie about a weirdo voyeur serial killer and it not also have a guy in a cape swooping in to save the day. Hey Hollywood quit making us internet conspiracy theorists out to look crazy! We’re on to you!
Rated 12 Dec 2022
It's a slog that doesn't quite feel its length, but doesn't manage to justify its existence beyond looking great. Ultimately, it's good, but for what?
Rated 12 Dec 2023
Bruh takes his mask off and looks like the fucking cartoon lead singer of Gorillaz. I can't be the only one seeing this shit. I swear to God I'm completely sober right now.
Rated 17 Mar 2022
Overall this was very well done and I loved it. It was a bit long and the last half hour felt unnecessary and without much point. But, loved the acting and the darkness. Robert Pattinson was surprisingly really good in this, both in costume and out. imo, best Batman movie so far.
Rated 19 Mar 2022
There’s three hours of Elden Ring time I’ll never get back. The plot gets reasonably compelling in the middle, but the aesthetic and mood are dark-and-gritty overload (admittedly not helped by my local multiplex’s terrible projection), especially the Kurt Cobain worship, and the third act is kinda stupid. Apparently Gotham is built below sea level for some reason
Rated 17 May 2022
Much better than I figured it would be. Still needlessly long but everyone is fantastic in it.
Rated 06 May 2024
No.. just no. Unwatchable
Rated 20 Apr 2022
I reckon I am in the minority, but I was vastly disappointed and bored.
Rated 11 Dec 2022
2019 saw a Joker crossed between Travis Bickle and Rupert Pupkin. Here Batman is a cross between Bickle and Kurt Cobain, and Riddler crosses Bickle and John Doe, Reeves taking literally the wish to see a “real rain”. As with JOKER, the idea is to continue reckoning with perhaps Hollywood's greatest genre movie by measuring the distance traversed between 1976 and “today” (the opioid crisis, social media, etc.). The impression is effectively doomladen and deranged: a Bicklesque universe indeed.
Rated 30 May 2022
Dark and gritty and dangerous like its supposed to be. Fun to watch, great cast.
Rated 24 Mar 2022
Dragged teensy bit with the multiple endings and last minute twists. And the action wasn’t quite on par with the Nolan trilogy. But oh man. The story was compelling, the score was amazing and it was stylistically true to the original detective comics. This was a more gritty and grounded Batman who fights with his fists and smarts, not a sculpted fitness model with flying cars and gadgets. One of the best iteration of the Batman for sure. And, personally, the most bilf.