1983
A group of seven former college friends gather for a weekend reunion at a posh South Carolina winter house after the funeral of one of their friends.

1983

Rated 26 Feb 2017
Baby Boomer Suicide Squad.
Rated 26 Jul 2015
It feels like this film must have spawned about a thousand film clichés but its worth the time to check it out. The story is decent but what really stands out about this movie (for me at least) was the great chemistry between the cast. You really feel like they grew up together. It also has a lot of great moments of humor that catch you totally off guard.
Rated 09 Jul 2009
My first temptation was to dismiss this as a banal tale of hippies turned yuppies who do nothing but complain about their problems. As it progresses, though, it becomes clear that the rationalization and self absorption is what the movie's actually about and the individual characters are nowhere near as important as the human traits they express and the varied interaction we see. It still comes off a bit too much as a Hollywood film with its editing choices but a worthwhile watch.
Rated 09 May 2016
The strongest aspect of the film, aside from the performances of Glenn Close (Sarah), Kevin Kline (Harold), and William Hurt (Nick), was the sharp, witty dialogue written by Lawrence Kasdan and Barbara Benedek. The film often feels like it is leading somewhere but as it proceeds there is a lack of resolution or destination - but I think that was kind of the point, and I thought it worked well here.
Rated 08 Sep 2018
More like "The Big Bore".
Rated 19 Oct 2018
I miss the days when Hollywood just got a bunch of great actors together in a room without anyone even getting murdered.
Rated 24 Jan 2012
It has a great cast. Pretty much all the scenes are disjointed and fragmented, which made things a bit difficult. It didn't go as deep and dark as I'd have liked, but it had some good things to say about people, friendship, adulthood, life, death, love and all that good stuff.
Rated 27 May 2011
Oddly ineffectual ensemble piece (all the stranger given such a strong cast and reliable director) which never really travels anywhere very interesting and takes its time getting there. Screenplay feels too contrived, and reflective monologues feel too polished and over-written. Having said that, any film that features Goldblum in a prominent role, and utilises an excellent 60s pop soundtrack so well, retains a certain level of interest, and occasional moments of insight help make it bearable.
Rated 01 Apr 2010
Ensemble acting and a sparkling screenplay highlight the film.
Rated 27 Feb 2010
A pretty entertaining, even if sappy, melodrama with a few hints of black comedy here and there. The cast is charismatic and the soundtrack is rife with classics, which makes for a very kinetic film.
Rated 12 Feb 2019
A touch too inconsequential and clearly tailored to a rather specific demographic. Still lots to appreciate and enjoy in its loose atmosphere and sophisticated writing.
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Good film.
Rated 14 Feb 2020
Why is everyone praising the soundtrack? It's just hit after hit. Give me deep cuts or give me death.
Rated 11 Sep 2014
We get old. We drift apart. We come back together. We remember the good old days. But some things we never outgrow. Yada yada yada.
Rated 07 Dec 2008
This is a self-important film that has what feels like forced and fake angst, portrayed by shallow characters. Kevin Costner does the best piece of acting, and he was the corpse.
Rated 29 Jul 2008
Greatly underappreciated. Great ensemble cast, good music, pretty good humor. I enjoy watching the disillusionment of 60s radical leftist baby boomers.
Rated 19 Oct 2021
Someone please make a nostalgia reunion film aimed at my self-absorbed generation with everyone fulfilling their bygone fantasies. I will line up to sing its praises. It's so profound and speaks to me! Good music but maybe emblematic of the outsized influence of boomers. I lost track of the characters at times and why they all paired up at the end (except poor Jeff Goldblum). But seriously, gimme dat Hollywood budget and I will PANDER like nobody else can. Fav scene: trying to jump into the car.
Rated 20 Aug 2007
Probably OK if you're a Baby Boomer. I'm not the correct demographic, so I found it to be mostly self-involved and annoying.
This movie isn't for me, but I can still recognize it as a quality film, even if it doesn't move me even slightly. If you were born after 1970 then don't bother...
Rated 27 Mar 2016
I enjoyed this one immensely. The screenplay is loosely structured, but well-written, and the ensemble cast makes you believe in their characters' preexisting relationships. And then, of course, there's the insanely awesome soundtrack which lines up classic songs as if they were domino tiles.
Damn self-absorbed boomers! Still a good flick though...
Rated 26 Feb 2017
Den här filmen skulle i princip kunna vara hur bra som helst. Men samtidigt är det en dans på slak lina som måste till. Kazdan försöker göra konststycket genom att växla mellan hjärta-smärta och rappa sarkastiska repliker, men det funkar inte. Trots alla de kända skådespelarnamnen så bottnar karaktärerna aldrig. @Brooklyn Bridge Park: Movies with a View
Rated 07 Oct 2016
Accurate: close friends hold grudges, judge each other, care about each other deeply, and just wanna fuck. Probably the funniest movie about the aftermath of a suicide. Try to ignore the creepy subplot about Mary Kay Place's baby fever.
Rated 24 May 2017
This movie rips-off John Sayles' "the return of the secaucus 7".Fuck you Lawrence Kasdan, you self-absorbed Boomer !
Rated 28 Oct 2018
A great cast , a moving story about the realities of growing up and a brilliant soundtrack.
Rated 17 Jun 2017
As the title suggests, this film is relaxed and paces itself with ease because there's hardly any story to get through, and even the characterisation is barely present, but I find this all pleasantly relatable and realistic. Unashamedly baby-boomer-esque (the soundtrack in particular), this is quality filmmaking without breaking any barriers, just very fine performances doing their best with some excellent writing. Too bad the very end sucks.
Rated 14 Jan 2018
eng; [the big chill]; eine gruppe von freunden trifft sich nach einer beerdigung.; (sehr langweilig); {nicht vollständig gesehen};
Rated 22 Jun 2018
Writing this with knowledge that this is as much Hollywood as it can get. You can sense that in extreme characters, the 60's (some 70's?) music and of course the cast. However. I'm not a boomer yet I found this movie so satisfying. I like the different outlooks - the past (when they hung together in their teens / college) and the present, the lives of people that have so unimaginably changed, yet they remained same in their souls. Will rewatch again this 80's gem.
Rated 17 Jul 2018
Bleh.
Rated 20 Jul 2014
A fairly boring drama is elevated by an impressive cast.
Rated 30 Jan 2020
The soundtrack is great, but this film is pretty shallow, eliding the most significant moments in favor of musical interludes. This is most egregious in one character offering her husband to another woman, a cost-free, guilt-alleviating kind of act that is, frankly, silly. Unfortunately, the film doesn't seem to know this, presenting it as just one more in a series of reconnections over the weekend.
Rated 11 Jun 2020
SomeniceSOL/somemeh-goodmusicsavesitlikeamusicvideolol+ilovethemstayingtheretogetherthatlongthough+oldflamesbang-shesaidleavinhusband+onemarriedwithingroupbangsthegirltobesurrogate+somemelodrama+momsaidcostneristhedeadguylol-yescenesdeleted
Rated 14 Mar 2021
The most Boomer of movies, all of it: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Also, Forrest Gump!!!
Rated 07 Aug 2021
Six weeks after watching this film, I'd lose a friend I've known half my life at that point to suicide. Maybe that real life event could shift how I view this film, much like how David Bowie's death elevated the content of his final album Blackstar, but does art falter if life needs to intervene?
Rated 15 Sep 2022
The movie is an excellent study in “show don’t tell”. Nostalgic character study & fine example of filmmaking. Young Glenn Close (sorry Glenn) never doesn’t sketch me out. Jeff Goldblum fans, man, watch this for a cold shower. 🤣 He plays a creep so well! The opening domestic scene with its misophonia-inducing child noises is something out of a horror movie (was that deliberate?), but unique to the rest of the immensely watchable story. Boomer version of The Romantics (2010).
Rated 18 Jul 2023
ok boomer. Whatever talent is on display here (btw it feels like Glenn Close was barely in this) is drowned by that syrupy self-aggrandizing generational introspection later satirized by Forrest Gump. Maybe The Big Chill was pioneering something at the time, but it's vaguely annoying to watch now given all the similar material that followed.
Rated 07 Oct 2023
Rated 07 Jun 2024
Incredibly accurate portrayal of how your friends in college become your friends for life. Well written, with very funny moments within a serious and sad setting. The characters genuinely feel like they've known each other for decades. Cinematography is fantastic. Tom Beringer in 83 an absolute man rocket. You can debate the pivotal scene at the end with your spouse for hours on end. Holds up so well 40 years later.
Rated 24 Mar 2010
Well drawn out characters in basically a plot-less movie. I would have liked to see the political transition between the 60s and the 80s, which is certainly touched upon, really delved into more.
I can't remember the plot, but it wasn't as funny as people told me. It dragged on far too long, and the best part was the music. The soundtrack probably far outshines the movie.
I cry in the shower as often as possible
Rated 26 Aug 2007
Good
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Good scenes, but not enough.
Rated 23 Sep 2007
Used to love it. Still do love the opening funeral procession through the autumn leaves; but there are a lot of TV-show wrap-up lines (especially by Jeff Goldblum). The Meg Tilly character is fun. Overall effect was rather shallow.
Rated 17 Dec 2007
Fuck, I REALLY hated this, just leave it (and me) the hell alone. I am in the baby boomer thang and it STILL sucked dog's balls
Rated 19 Sep 2008
I liked it when I saw it in 83, but in retrospect, I find it less good. I mean, really, do we have to have yuppy angst inflicted upon us? Why should rich bastards have our sympathy? Further, why does everyone like the facile image of the sixties, that of the over-privileged whites, trump the struggles of oppressed peoples of color? What a bunch of dickheads!
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 10 Apr 2009
Wry satirical comedy which seems to be nostalgic for the 60s, but is funny anyway.
Rated 02 Aug 2009
Hopelessly sentimental.
Rated 21 Aug 2009
One of the most boring movies I've ever seen. At least most terrible movies I can sit through. I was so tempted to turn this one off.
Rated 03 May 2016
Very surface level for all its posturing. Video review: https://youtu.be/UgH4jVwYRZ4
Rated 23 Jun 2012
Rated 27 Jun 2012
Slightly dated but an anthem for a generation.
Rated 13 Dec 2012
whoa overrated
Rated 16 Jan 2013
Too calculated (just like the soundtrack with way too many classic songs crammed together) but you can't deny a certain overall quality.
Rated 02 Aug 2013
Quite good comic drama with great characters. I especially liked Hurt's (he is really hurt in this film) And Meg Tilly's characters. I guess I relate to misfits. The kind of film you nod your head thoughtfully after seeing it.
Rated 07 May 2014
Honestly, this movie sucks. People praise it because they want a "Breakfast Club" for grown-up hippies. This movie does a great job of showing why that's a terrible idea. Nothing happens, and it feels like a play... where nothing happens. The script is so dialogue based that you'd expect some really deep philosophies, but there's only one line that actually sticks out from one character, since it would break character for any of them to speak highly on something.
Rated 20 Jul 2014
I just didn't care that much about this. It's ok and has it's moments but I just don't care about these people's angst.
Rated 01 Nov 2014
The 80's aren't cheesy, here. It's grim in tone and uses a multi-actor format that you don't see anymore. It's comes off as a soap opera to me in that respect, but that is probably a temporary observation since-- after all-- all the soaps are gone now anyway (I think). God-- the music is so good . . . Even the characters allude to the music, and appropriately so, since we are trapped in history with this movie. This movie is dialogue driven and proves that Glenn Close hath been smokin hot.
Rated 18 Nov 2014
Fuck me. I love every actor in everything else they went on to do but they were all vile in this piece of utter dreck. This was written by the same guy who wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Empire Strikes Back. Think about that.
Rated 23 Feb 2015
Because of the cast it isn't boring, but the lack of stakes and dialogue that really goes somewhere interesting it ends up being forgettable.