The Bikeriders

The Bikeriders

2023
Crime

Rated 24 Jun 2024
I thought it had potential, but it just never really amounts to much. Maybe because it was based on a real photo book, but I don't feel like it ever fully explored... really anything. Things just sort of happen, in mostly random feeling ways because there's no backstory or deeper explanations, while Jodie Comer narrates in a pretty ridiculous accent.
Rated 09 Oct 2023
First act is tremendous but it kinda ran out of steam after that. Or fuel, I guess. Comer and Hardy’s accents were very funny in a way that I think was about 70% intentional.
Rated 17 Jul 2024
(GOODLEATHAS)
Rated 01 Jul 2024
American masculinity as formed by television and movies. Everything is posture until you can finally make it. Men really are lonely people, huh.
Rated 29 Jun 2024
imagine there is a woman like comer in your life... you'd just want to ride on your bike forever into the sunset never to come back.
Rated 24 Jun 2024
“The Bikeriders” is a gripping drama about a Midwestern motorcycle club in the ’60s and ’70s. With complex characters like Kathy (Jodie Comer) and Johnny (Tom Hardy), the film explores themes of loyalty, power, and relationships. Exceptional acting, especially from Comer and Hardy, and engaging dialogue drive the story. Despite some confusing time jumps, the plot delivers a strong third act and satisfying ending. Highly rewatchable for its emotional depth and strong performances.
Rated 14 Jul 2024
The ensemble cast truly brings the era of the late 60s early 70s to life. It is a slow burning drama and it excels because it allows you every opportunity to connect with the characters and their circumstances. It is well shot, well paced and everything comes together at the end. You get a glimpse of what transpires when power shifts, what power does to the psyche. Truly great movie.
Rated 14 Jun 2024
The Bikeriders is an extremely good movie. It is a very gripping story about the corruption of the motorcycle clubs that lived their golden age in the 60s and 70s, their transformation into gangs, and the change in the balance of power in this process. If you like Easy Rider and Sons of Anarchy, you will be directly interested in this movie. Also, I hope Jeff Nichols doesn't keep us waiting so long for his next project. I love his southern themed films.
Rated 12 Jul 2024
Well directed and acted, but the story didn't give much more than the golden age of biker clubs. As a film, it didn't move in one direction or the other. Standing water. I did like the biker's way of talking though.
Rated 16 Jul 2024
The film is excellent in both acting and direction, but the storyline lacked the depth needed to sustain a full-length movie.
Rated 16 Jul 2024
Inspiredbyphotographer1965-1973bookfollowingthem+heraccentlool+tom'stoo:P+gotworseandworse+youngkidshootshimandruinseverythingbymakingitmoreofagang
Rated 15 Jul 2024
I really enjoyed myself watching this. I had reservations with the casting of Hardy and (esp.) Comer in a midwestern drama but I needn't have worried, she is a brilliant actor and was central to the films success. The story is pretty straightforward dealing with the inevitable changes in personal and "business" relationships as the M'club grows and competing factions develop, but it is the strength of characterization and dialogue which separates this film from so many as well as a great ending
Rated 14 Jul 2024
Finely tuned period drama with an ensemble cast I wouldn't have minded spending more than two hours with. Comer impressed me as Kathy whose engaging telling of the story elevates the film.
Rated 12 Jul 2024
I quite enjoyed watching this movie. It has some very charismatic characters, and it was engaging and interesting to watch the evolution of a small racing club slowly evolve into a national gang. The cast was absolutely terrific. Great filmography, good music and its well written and well directed. Good movie making seems to be getting more rare these days. This movie has something to say, and it's a memorable walk down the wild side.
Rated 09 Jul 2024
Slow burns are what Nichols does, and this is another great example. Holistically, it's an amazing film. What I mean is, you could point to all the ways in which it's great, but I don't think any of this is "best of the year" material. But god damn, put it all together and you have a film that feels more like life just happening in a good way. Also, I think the way it explores masculinity is smart. Even though little really happens, it's always gripping.
Rated 07 Jul 2024
The Bikeriders is a vibes movie that works for a long time, but eventually overstays its welcome. The movie relies heavily on atmosphere, and is largely successful due to its superb period detail/production design, cinematography, and excellent performances. After a while though, you realize there isn't much in the way of character development or plot, and by the end it starts to feel a little hollow. Overall it takes a lot of cues from movies like Goodfellas, so Scorsese fans should like this.
Rated 02 Jul 2024
I wish this movie had come out closer to the end of the year. I hope the Academy remembers these great performances and writing. Excellent film, whether you like motorcycles or not.
Rated 02 Jul 2024
It's fine, getting into good thanks to the acting talent. The arc of a motorcycle riders club being corrupted over time just doesn't quite connect though, and that's a shame. Worth seeing, but not a "you have to see".
Rated 01 Jul 2024
Good visuals and performances, but what was the point? I'd rather watch a road movie about Zipco and Funny Sonny.
Rated 24 Jun 2024
Truly the toxic masculinity movie to end all toxic masculinity movies. Elegaic, but also a lot of fun. The amount of captival-V Voices happening in this cast is head-spinning, but everyone here is really good. I also kinda loved Will Oldham’s single scene; he’s giving such an understated performance, but I think that quietness is what makes it so impactful.
Rated 30 Jun 2024
Well acted and a good story. But I expected more action from this story.
Rated 29 Jun 2024
I believe this one isn't getting the attention it deserves at this point. A great, character driven drama with strong, deep characters performed perfectly by Butler, Hardy, and Comer. The pacing and tone and perfect. Butler looks so much like James Dean here and is playing a role so much like him that it's like you're watching Dean reincarnated. If there's ever a Dean biopic, he's your guy. Great film.
Rated 29 Jun 2024
A really strong cast but Cathy’s accent and story was quite intrusive to the flow of the story , which I felt lacked something undefinable.
Rated 26 Jun 2024
I don’t have the want to ride a motorcycle like I can’t even ride a bike but this movie did make me realize I had not gotten into a fight in my 30’s unlike the many I had in my teens and 20’s. So fists or knives?? The power of cinema of the peanut of men
Rated 25 Jun 2024
Extremely well-acted by its entire ensemble cast, and it does have some intelligent things to say about brotherhood, honor, and traditional masculinity. However, it feels as though it doesn't always make great use of its 2 hr runtime to explore these themes as thoroughly as the premise deserves.
Rated 25 Jun 2024
It's good, almost great. While the concept is interesting and the story well told, the most compelling part of the movie is the three central performances.
Rated 24 Jun 2024
The texture of this movie is so good; you can practically smell the grease and leather as melancholy R&B songs spill out of the jukebox. I wish it carried over to the pedestrian story, which never captured me the way it should given the talent arrayed here. It desperately wants us to see what’s so interesting and meaningful about these doomed misfits, but in movies as in life, the real outlaws exist on the margins.
Rated 22 Jun 2024
A return to form for Nichols. Not the glamorous or romantic portrait of this era that I'm sure a lot of people expected but instead a quietly heartbreaking study of lost, bored souls. The stunted, confused dialogue and the sense of arrested development in basically all of these characters was extremely well realized.
Rated 23 Jun 2024
The Bikers offers a realistic depiction of the first generation of bikeriders—individuals on the fringe seeking belonging. Jodie Comer excels as a biker's girlfriend, portraying the type of woman drawn to rebellious, self-destructive men who thrive on danger, excessive alcohol, and smoking, yet suffer from their irresponsibility. However, in their pursuit of freedom and power, the bikers gradually become violent, mythologizing their rules like religious scripture. This evolution parallels how ea