The Blues Brothers

The Blues Brothers

1980
Crime

Rated 08 Dec 2006
I've seen this about a billion times, but surprisingly, I'm not sick of it. I'm still immensely entertained by it. The song and dance routines are really exciting and dynamic, and the car chases are simply the best ever. You don't see gleeful pandemonium like this in movies anymore, and if you did it would probably be all computer-generated. This is also one of the best Chicago movies, and undoubtedly the best movie to ever be spawned by Saturday Night Live. Loads of fun.
Rated 17 Oct 2019
Plays like all great heist films, assembling the band instead of a crew and orchestrating a concert instead of pulling off a robbery. The more I think about it the less I like Ocean's Eleven twenty years later. But the original Ocean's Eleven was twenty years earlier than The Blues Brothers. Now I don't know what to like less.
Rated 12 Jan 2019
Goddamn this film is a lot of fun. The cast, the cameos, the chaos, the music. It really shouldn't work, but it comes together beautifully. It has a fairly unique charm. Gets bonus points for having those credits at the end where they show the folk. Full disclosure: I have a T-shirt that says "Orange Whip", with a picture of John Candy. Highly recommended.
Rated 16 Sep 2018
Great music! Epic Car Chase! Good Story! Non stop entrainment!
Rated 14 Jul 2015
Uneven and overlong (the screenplay is a mess), but undeniably great music and fun performances from the leads.
Rated 13 Feb 2017
John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd star as the infamous Blues Brothers in this comedy classic. All-time great musicians are featured through-out in this celebration of music captured on film. Throw in possibly the greatest cinematic car chase ever, and you have a purely entertaining movie.
Let's see: Best car chase ever. Bluesmobile. On a mission from God. Rawhide. Carrie Fisher with a bazooka. Yup, just checking - it's freaking awesome.
Rated 07 May 2009
Only reason this gets 95 instead of 100 is that some of the cut scenes belong in the theatrical version and some of the scenes in the extended version should have stayed on the floor. This is the kindest gift to all styles of American music that I've ever seen, filled with legendary icons of song. The slimy antics of Belushi and Aykroyd, the amusing disregard for ignorant asses and the outlandish antics in this musical comedy can hardly be contained. The Blues Brothers is a treasured classic.
Rated 14 Jul 2020
Understated comedy is joined to caricature and absurdity in a unique and totally entertaining sprawl of a picture. The endless accruing of enemies, the heroes' casual acceptance of comically exaggerated attempts on their lives, the superb car chases, regular rhythm & blues dance numbers . . . it all somehow works, wonderfully, together. Lots of fun.
A comedy trip that goes anywhere and everywhere in the mythical adventures of Jake and Elwood Blues. Straightfaced lunacy is the name of the game in a film full of great music and great car chases.
Rated 17 Nov 2011
More of a sing-along marathon than an actual movie. 'The Blues Brothers' offers good music and an impressive range of cameos, but virtually nothing in terms of story or actual entertainment, except, perhaps, for the ending, which is as delightfully over the top as it is pointless.
Rated 29 Jan 2010
A hilarious, fast paced, over the top, fun, good time. If you don't like this something is seriously wrong with you. Great soundtrack, two great car chases, and enough great cameos to satisfy anyone. A classic.
Rated 08 Jul 2020
It shows you something absurd and then somehow keeps topping itself, especially in the car chase scenes. It's able to work because it's so unique. The cameos, music, and just plain ridiculousness somehow come together to be something that's a lot of fun.
Rated 29 Dec 2010
Good Movie
Rated 26 Jul 2011
One of the most purely entertaining films of all time. A celebration of music, fittingly packed with great songs. A joyous comedy, with some of the best comedy scenes in cinema. A great thriller, with arguably the greatest car chase in film history. THE BLUES BROTHERS is all of these things and more, and it all fits together beautifully. John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd are at their best here; so is nearly everyone else. Scattered moments don't quite work, but they're washed away in a tide of joy.
Rated 01 Apr 2008
Films don't really get more fun than this.
This is my all time favorite movie. From campy schtick to great cameos. Cool music and a strong plot drive this fantastic movie. "It's 106 miles to Chicago, We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - "Hit it!"
Rated 22 Oct 2009
After giving it another shot I admit, I was wrong about the Blues Brothers. Great fun and even better music. The number of car stunts, explosions (those made by Princess Leia) were staggering !!! Landis knows how to pull off a high budget comedy.
Rated 19 Aug 2010
This movie explains everything about why I became a musician.
Rated 29 Dec 2010
Beautiful musical with great songs. Ray charles, Aretha Franklin and James Brown were excellent in this great comedy movie. Nice movie for Christmas.
Easily one of the most entertaining films of its era, The Blues Brothers is a time capsule worthy collection, not only in irreverent comedy, but also in its reverence for some of the best music of the 1960s and 70s.
Rated 05 Feb 2017
Massively enjoyable, cool but not too serious. A rightful classic. Sit back and jam along.
Rated 14 Dec 2011
Funny over-the-top comedy. A bit too uneven at times, but quotable and the final action scene is seriously great.
Rated 19 Aug 2008
It'd be really easy to rip on this film for a ridiculous storyline and inconsistent pacing, but somehow it just works. The chase scenes are over the top but fun, the music is infectious and there's just something about Jake and Elwood that makes them fun to root for.
Rated 24 May 2015
A high point in comedy. Aykroyd and Belushi do awesome jobs and deliver subtle yet awesome comedy mixed with extravagant and over the top visual humor. The whole movie is great itself, with great music and nice direction and choreography. It's really worthwhile comedy.
Rated 22 Sep 2009
I hate Illinois Nazis ...
Rated 27 Jul 2007
I admire the amount of cars that were destroyed in this movie. Awe-inspiring.
Rated 12 May 2017
This movie just really enjoys everything it's about. Big explosions! Car chases! Jazz and blues and the culture and lives of the people who created it! A lot of spectacle-based movies end up being oddly dispassionate about it, asking you to turn your brain off in a way that makes it difficult to truly engage with what's going on. The Blues Brothers, by contrast, gives you a river of things to enjoy, that you can't help but get swept up in.
Rated 16 Mar 2015
Talk about a film that won't give you the blues! This movie was hilarious. This was my first time seeing this film and I must say, what have I been doing these last 30+ years? Dan Aykroyd not only did some fine acting but did some great writing for this movie. John Belushi was also awesome as Aykroyd's brother Jake. I nearly busted a gut laughing in this, especially in the many amazing chase/crash scenes with the cops, Nazi's and angry people from Nashville...
Rated 13 Sep 2018
I finally sat down and watched this movie. This is one of those movies that's a prefect example of guilty pleasure or so bad it's good.
Rated 27 May 2009
The reverence for early R&B is appreciated, but there's too many throwaway gags I think.
John Landis's great accomplishment.
Rated 10 Feb 2015
One of the all-time great comedies, with some absolutely KILLER music. The Blues Brothers is a classic for the ages.
Rated 08 Oct 2011
It feels more like a series of vignettes more than a consistent movie, but there are some fun musical numbers and stunts despite the running time feeling about 30 minutes too long.
Rated 11 Aug 2017
Like most "road trip" films, you HAVE to make it long enough to feel like it has been an epic "journey", and of course there is filler, but if you can't enjoy the energy, cameo roles, humour, over the top daftness of it all, and just great music, then frankly, I feel a bit sorry for you. The bar scene and the Nun ... just fantastic !
Rated 05 Jul 2012
There are three movies that I will quote with my dad consistently. The Blues Brothers is one of them.
Rated 17 Jan 2019
"When I woke up this morning, [applause! cheers], I heard a disturbing sound! [clapping intensifies]! I SAID: when I woke up this morning, [hallelujah, reverend! Praise be to God!], I HEARD a disturbing sound! The jingle jangle, of a thousand lost souls! AAAAMENNNNN!" Hits me with the power of laughter every time as if it was divinely inspired to do so. Perhaps they were on a mission from God.
Rated 19 Dec 2009
I was expecting to like this, but it's way too long and only funny occasionally.
Rated 26 Mar 2012
I was balancing between being unimpressed and having an okay time through most of this and the entertaining finale sort of won me over.
Rated 02 Dec 2008
One of my very favorite comedies, and a classic at that, Blues Brothers brought my favorite performances from both Belushi and Danny boy. The music is catchy as hell, the plot is hillarious, and the car chases are some of the best ever filmed. Heck, I even like the backing band in this movie. Jake! Elwood! The Blues Brothers! Yeah... seriously, Carrie Fischer even makes you laugh with her homicidal madness. Loved it.
Rated 19 Aug 2010
Funny, great music and wonderful action make this one of the most perfect comedies ever. Belushi and Ackroyd have amazing comedic chemistry and some awesome musical talent. I didn't want this movie to end! Very highly recommended!
Rated 01 Mar 2007
A cult classic and a personal favourite of mine with many many fond memories.
Rated 04 Nov 2012
Pretty damn funny, The Blues Brothers is funny and full of catchy tunes. I appreciated the car-chase scenes.
Rated 24 Jun 2007
None of the songs are original, but if James Brown, Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles do anything for you, and if Cab Calloway is as much your idol as he is mine, then by god, they're all here! Unearthing Mancini's Theme from Peter Gunn is itself an achievement. You'll appreciate this even more if you're a musician. Ayk and Belushi are fun but they're not really enough to go on, and the stupid action scenes just ruin it for the music.
Rated 18 Sep 2018
A very funny movie when it wants to be. It combines two of my favorite stars of the era and blues music. Its plot does rely far too heavily on chase scenes which are at first funny because of their excess but the joke wears thin after the first one.
Landis, Ackroyd and Belushi at their very best.
Rated 17 Nov 2011
So cool!
Rated 27 Feb 2007
They're on a mission from God. Good enough for me.
Rated 28 Feb 2008
BEST CHASE SCENE IN ANY MOVIE EVER MADE. In fact, the whole movie is a chase scene, with Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, and John Lee Hooker thrown in. Oh yeah...don't forget Murph and The Magictones. Classic.
Rated 08 Oct 2013
I think I liked it, but it was a pretty strange film. It had similar elements to other comedies, but the structure was all over the place. I'm not sure if it would be better if it was tightened up, but it probably could've easily lost 30 minutes. I didn't think it was particularly funny, but it was entertaining. I really enjoyed the musical numbers. Having music legends appearing in the film was also really cool.
Rated 08 Nov 2018
The Not Ready For Prime Time Players were never my favorite SNL bunch so I wasn't expecting this to be a laugh riot or anything but it holds up pretty decently, especially when the last act devolves into nonsensical budget-flexing car chases. Surprisingly breezy too, even with the 2h30m extended cut.
Rated 24 Feb 2010
A classic.
Rated 17 Sep 2007
Over the top. In a good way.
A movie from my childhood. This would have gotten a 95 if they hadn't made a Blues Brothers 2000. It would have gotten a 100 if Blues Brothers 2000 hadn't starred John Goodman.
Rated 03 Sep 2012
A perfect movie. The Blues Brothers is a movie that I go back an watch a few times every year. Everything about this movie is perfect. The music is something that makes me to my toes and don't asking to. I'm awed by all of the amazing talent that made this film. I wonder if the same kind of film could be made today with the same success. There are so many classic moments in this movie that it should be watched by anyone who is interested in film studies especially because if the comedic timing.
Rated 17 Aug 2010
Everybody must have had a great time making this. It always cheers me up.
Rated 11 Sep 2007
How is it that in a movie this funny, this jammed with great music, that they still found room for one of the greatest car chases in movie history. Sweet Jebus this movie is awesome.
Rated 23 Aug 2015
Yeah I loved this
Rated 09 Jun 2010
what can i say for this excellent movie. perfect. belushi and akroyd are outstanding. musicians are great. scenario.. who cares?
Rated 23 Jul 2009
Aykroyd and Belushi on top form, groovy music, car chases, you name it, a top top comedy.
A couple of sardonic bluesmen from Chicago are on a mission from God to put together their old band and raise money to save an orphanage. Some really funny comedy, great music, and one of the most insane car chases ever committed to film. Plus, Princess Leia with a machine gun!
Rated 22 Dec 2013
Too over the top for its own good, but ultimately rescued by the cast's charm, director John Landis' grace, and several soul-stirring musical numbers.
Rated 29 Dec 2007
As much as it pains me to admit it... This movie is not perfect. For all of its' strengths - A fantastic performance by John Belushi; A clear love for the blues genre in the writing; some of the best choreography you'll ever see; truly outstanding vocal performances; standard destroying stunt work andiIncredibly witty dialogue - there is one weakness: The length. It really does pain me to say it, but this movie is just too damn long. Still one of the best musicals ever, though.
Rated 14 Oct 2007
A cult classic with the best soundtrack on the planet. I think, this is a good example for what a right intention at the right time can do to deliver an immortal film. Some might say acting is not first class or some jokes are not funny. Well, I don't. I consider myself lucky for watching a surreal road film with Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Ray Charles, John Lee Hooker and Cab Calloway.
Rated 04 Apr 2009
AMAZING
Rated 06 May 2011
Thank heavens John Belushi died so he got to be remembered for this and Animal House because you know if he was still alive he would have gone to rehab, found Jesus, and started making a bunch of mediocre PG schlock only fit for children, retards, or retarded children...like his brother.
Rated 24 Mar 2018
If I lived in the US and A and saw this in the 80's I'd also probably love this movie like everybody else. I don't and I didn't so...
Rated 17 May 2008
Orange whip? Orange whip?
Rated 18 Jan 2009
great film , great songs, great Solomone Burke cover :)
Blues Brothers is one of cinema's greatest adventure musicals ever. Its irreverent plot is perfectly deadpanned making each insane event funnier than the last. Awesome!
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Great r&b soundtrack and cast. It's pretty dated but still a lot of fun because it's so god damned goofy.
Rated 08 Sep 2010
An enormously funny action comedy featuring some of the greatest car chases ever, amazing performances by the two leads (John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd), unbelievable guest stars including Aretha Franklin, Frank Oz and Twiggy, hilarious dialogues, fantastic soundtrack and choreographies, surrealism and a very well-written script.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
Classic, but I never really get into this movie. It's okay to watch, but not that good as they say.
Rated 25 Feb 2007
Old-fashioned no-holds-barred comedy classic. Best car chase ever. Honors the blues tradition.
Rated 01 May 2013
Genius combination of comedy and music. And James Belushi on mission from God of course.
Rated 01 Sep 2009
Classic
Rated 19 Aug 2007
Classic comedy and great music. What's not to like?
Rated 06 Apr 2009
It's stupid, but in the best way possible. Also, Gretaets soundtrack in history. Let's face it, everyone just watches it only as two-hour music video, right?
Rated 02 Jun 2008
A classic that will never be forgotten.
Rated 03 Apr 2010
Good Lord the car chases in this film are good! Some exceptionally funny scenes round out this film.
Rated 19 Feb 2011
I think it goes a bit too over the top at times, occasionally crossing over the line from funny to silly, mostly by overdoing great things (see the number of car crashes and musical dance numbers). But the music is fantastic, the car chases are fantastic, the cameos are fantastic, the comedy is fantastic, and the characters are fantastic. Highly exciting and enjoyable film.
Rated 01 Jun 2017
T.B.B is good clean fun packed with big laughs, stellar songs, spectacular car chases and musical cameos that pay genuine tribute to R+B legends. Akroyd and Belushi are lovable dopes who exude effortless cool as T.B.B. They are on a mission from God to save a Catholic orphanage, eluding the authorities, angry nazi's, rednecks and a jilted lover on the road to redemption. Landis creates a thrilling sense of controlled chaos, and it's unusually cinematic and ambitious for a mainstream comedy.
An enjoyable film.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
So cool :-)
Rated 18 Dec 2009
Once you get passed the idea that a movie is supposed to make sense, and once you let your body go with the flow of the music, this is a very entertaining movie. I loved the music, and I loved the action. Though to be frank, it did take about an hour, before I had gotten used to the kind of ridiculousness I was watching.
Rated 30 Apr 2015
Do me a favor and shoot me in the fucking head whenever I tire of this fantastic movie.
Rated 22 Mar 2007
Classic movie with fantastic actors.
Rated 13 Nov 2009
classic that shows its age
Rated 28 Jan 2010
Amusing, great music, but over-long.
Rated 18 Dec 2008
Love this movie, love this music, once again understandably not an award winner.
Rated 28 Sep 2011
Heavy and greasy nostalgia I won't re watch.
Rated 28 Jul 2008
One of the best car chase scenes ever.
Rated 01 Feb 2010
the Christmas Day family ritual! A classic!
Rated 15 Mar 2015
A classic.
Rated 05 Jul 2019
I don't "get" the Blues Brothers.
Rated 27 Jul 2008
Can still smell the burnt toast!
Rated 04 Jan 2008
Great fun. This will get you singing, dancing or laughing - perhaps all three. Quick paced and a great feel-good movie.
Rated 02 May 2014
It's rare that such an immensely talented ensemble cast collaborates so unselfishly and synergistically to create such a thoroughly enjoyable romp. It's hilarious in parts and features amazing musical performances by some of R&B's most iconic legends.
Rated 04 Apr 2012