The Bridges of Madison County

The Bridges of Madison County

1995
Romance

Rated 10 Sep 2010
A tepid romantic fantasy for bored housewives, barely a notch above a Harlequin paperback. Frustrated but steadfast mother with unfulfilled dreams, in struts a rugged but senstive world traveler who likes jazz and quotes Yeats. Cue several carefully crafted poignant moments and implausible speeches, and don't forget the tinkly piano music. Streep and Eastwood are both fine, although I wouldn't say they rise above the mundane material. Very standard, uninspiring stuff.
Rated 15 Sep 2014
It takes great actors to sell grand romantic sentiments. Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep are great actors.
Rated 22 Sep 2010
Meh romance film with old people. Bonus points as I was born and grew up in Madison County, Iowa.
This is not gonna be for everyone. (I know. What movie is...?) But this is a lovely, mature, heart-breaking film about unrequited love... Beautiful work by two of our greatest...
Rated 19 Oct 2008
De Clint Eastwood avec Clint Eastwood himself et Meril Streep (1995). L'autopsie d'un coup de foudre !
Rated 31 Jan 2010
Meryl Streep is simply magnific (again). She is really,really, wonderful. And it's a very pretty movie, one of the best love stories.
Rated 05 Sep 2007
Having read the book, it was hard to believe that Eastwood & Streep became cast as the central characters. Streep was superb. Eastwood showed again why he used to be an underrated cinematic talent. But, they not only pulled it off, they really did their roles well. I've seen those "Bridges" in and around Winterset, IA and they're touchstones to the past - as are similar bridges in NH and VT. A good love story well done for the screen.
Rated 28 Nov 2010
Tedious and unsatisfying portrayal of 2 boring old people who do boring things and fall in love. Clint if you are gonna show a body double of Meryl Streep getting naked at least get someone who is at least somewhat believable. Watch that scene and try not to be taken completely out of the film, ridiculous yet awesome. All the present day scenes with Streep's kids are miserable to watch. Seriously, find some better actors.
Rated 23 Oct 2011
Two mediocre stories tied together to make a pretty bad film. The central story is cliched and uninspired. Streep's performance is the best part and even that is nowhere near enough. Lots of talk about fate and love and obligations as the story goes through the predictable paces while never saying anything original. What really brings this down from mediocre to bad is the horrifically acted framing story of Streep's children discovering her adulterous romance, complete with tidy resolution.
Rated 19 Jul 2012
a bit cheesy but its a great "short period" love story... meryl streep is excellent once again; the moment when she touches Clint Eastwood's neck for the first time when she's on the phone is one of the most intense scenes I've ever seen...
Rated 13 May 2012
When giants collide
Rated 05 Oct 2013
Rated 11 Aug 2014
Over half of our indications of love come through body language. Much of the rest is tone of voice. Very little is in what's actually said. Even fewer movies about love know this, this being a gratifying exception. Such a story could so easily be vulgarized, but Eastwood, both the filmmaker and the actor tells a beautifully shot story with understated maturity and poetic wisdom with his brilliant leading lady.
Rated 08 Oct 2022
Hallmark movie tearjerker elevated by good direction from Eastwood and strong performances (and amazing chemistry) from Streep and Eastwood. The development of the relationship feels very authentic. It's about as good as this material could have been. Not really my genre, but for people in the right demo this might be a favorite.
Rated 19 Apr 2012
Rated 18 Nov 2014
Clint Eastwood is uncanny in his ability to make every aspect of an entire film as wooden and unremarkable as his own acting. I don't think I've ever watched a more boring and redundant romance drama.
Rated 18 Jun 2015
This is a great romance movie by Clint Eastwood. I really enjoy the italian-accent Meryl Streep, build the chemistry with the greatest cowboy on earth, Mr. Eastwood. It is so awkward, but so romantic at the same time. I love the idea of the story. That true love is not about who your husband is, it can be someone that only appears a while in your life. Love this.
Rated 10 Feb 2016
Awful story, but the performances of la Streep and... errr... le Eastwood almost get it a 'pass'.
Rated 08 Oct 2016
Nice movie, but way too long.
Rated 30 Apr 2017
Really slow.
Rated 27 Jan 2018
One of the saddest and yet most beautiful dramas I have seen in a long time. An absolutely stunning and excellent Meryl Streep. Only sorry that I waited this long... *Very good
Rated 03 Mar 2018
Viewed March 1, 2018.
Rated 21 Mar 2018
Sentimental, slow, schmaltzy, and very satisfying, The Bridges of Madison County finds Clint Eastwood adapting a bestseller with heft, wit, and grace.
Rated 13 Mar 2020
It's not bad by any means, and Meryl Streep makes it a worthy watch, but i felt it to be too fricking long, and i found myself to be bored throughout most of it, tbh. Also, i don't really care about straight romance.
Rated 13 Aug 2020
I've had a VHS copy of this film all my life, and it only seems right to own on VHS. It's a piece of its time, for sure
Rated 06 Aug 2021
7??????????/??????????????????????????????????????????
Rated 12 Nov 2021
The great Meryl Streep never disappoints. Her performance is fluid, and nuanced. I feel her character’s pain because she cannot have both ideals in one single man. I cannot look at rear view mirrors and car door handles the same way after this movie. Lucky are the ones who get it all, in one person, and get to grow old together
Rated 17 Jan 2022
eastwood's most beloved film among the hardcore cineastes is based on a shitty bestseller and frankly it shows, even if the meat of the romance is shot with great sensitivity and tenderness and streep is undeniably radiant. the framing story is awful, the voiceover excessive, and while clint can represent The Movies like few actors can, it's pretty hard to take such a metaphor seriously when it involves a director casting himself as such a hackneyed masculine ideal (see MartinTeller's review).
Rated 07 May 2022
Aslında dört günde böyle bir aşkın oluşmasına inanmamıştım filmi izlerken, yine de bir yandan duygusal sahnelere kapılırken bir yandan da tıpkı Meryl Streep'in erkek çocuğu gibi biraz rahatsız oluyordum yaşananlardan. Fakat film hakkında düşüncelerim orta kararken son 20-30 dakikasını çok duygusal ve üzücü bulmamla yüksek bir puanı hak ettiğine karar verdim. Fakat günümüz (çocukların) sahnelerinin oldukça kötü olduğunu söylemeden geçemeyeceğim.
Rated 30 Aug 2022
A thoroughly captivating and ultimately very moving romantic drama, "The Bridges of Madison Country" gives life to its doomed romance every step of the way. Meryl Streep, Clint Eastwood and the latter's direction are terrific, thus elevating the story to a tangible film full of small and grand moments of realism, from the cute, fun and exciting to the sad, despairing and heart-wrenching, while the present-day inserts offer great comic relief as well as on-point transgenerational insight.
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Great film.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
While I'm no fan of the source material, Meryl Streep is astoundingly good in this role, and Clint stands up to her very well.
Romantic
woulda been better without streep.
Somebody once said that it should be more movies like this. Clint obviously don't think that. He's making pathetic movies now.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Good
Rated 21 Oct 2007
Yet another wonderful, poignant dramatization of the passion of love. I would have given it a 95, but Francesca's decision at the end merits a 1 point deduction. I loved this movie when I saw it in theatres, and still do - but make sure to have a towel handy to dry the tears that will be shed...
Rated 17 Dec 2007
"Dirty Harry in love". And, astonishingly, it works. _Brief Encounter_, the granddaddy, still pretty much rules this subgenre, but Clint and the boys have come up with a good effort
Rated 01 Apr 2008
Beautiful movie and amazing acting... the depiction of the life of a house wife who for four days, finds her self wondering later... what if.
Rated 05 Apr 2008
true to the spirit of the book, but I wonder about the casting--I didn't have Streep and Eastwood in mind as I read the book, and never completely bought them in the roles
Rated 05 Jul 2008
Never to be talked about Clint Eastwood movie.
Rated 14 Oct 2008
Super love-story and what a brilliant performance of 2 great actors. Clint Eastwood in a love-movie : unbelievable good !!!
Rated 02 Dec 2011
#858
Rated 30 Dec 2008
Jesus, how masterful this is. Eastwood style: so economic, realistic, yet magic. I can't think of a chemistry better than this one between Kincaid and Francesca. They manage to build a world of their own in just four days. Something you have once in your life. Something you carry on forever. Every telephone call Franny takes just destroys our hearts. And then we get that traffic light encounter. This movie is pure gestures, looks. Intoxicating and intense as hell.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Slow based, but fairly satisfying. Its hard to fault a film thats so well made and performed, but it doesn't overly appeal to me.
Rated 06 Jan 2010
A good film, with great chemistry between the leads. It makes me want to go to Iowa just to have a goold old smell. However, I had to take points off because both the film and Clint's arms were a little bit too long.
Rated 15 Jan 2010
Rated 14 Feb 2010
My absolutely favorite actress is directed by one of my favorite directors. The story is romantic and dramatic. This movie is very much me in ways I'm not necessarily fond of exposing. (lol) A masterpiece.
Rated 20 Jul 2010
Meryl Streep, the accent queen, misses the boat with this one--her accent sounds more German than Italian (and it ain't a researched, regional thing--I have friends from Bari). She does an otherwise good job with the mush-minded material she's given to work with. The idea that Clint Eastwood is a famous photographer (or any kind of artist at all, for that matter) is totally laughable.
Rated 29 Aug 2010
This film was not intended for me, but I rate them as I see them and this was an absolute snoozefest. I really tried to make it to the end, but 2/3 through I'd had enough and watched something else. In my defense, I am male and was 14 in 1995 when I attempted to watch this on VHS with my parents. My score of 33 is dedicated with respect to the final act of this film that I could not bear to watch. Though I doubt I will choose to do so, I'm sure this score would improve upon second viewing.
Rated 25 Mar 2011
Strong drama, decent acting and nice script makes this very slow paced movie a good watch.
Rated 24 Aug 2011
The acting is superb, but I could care less about the actual story.
Rated 25 Nov 2011
It's Meryl Streep's best role i have ever seen, for me :-)