1996
A lonely and disturbed cable guy raised on television just wants a new friend, but his target, a designer, rejects him, with bad consequences. (imdb)

1996

Rated 14 Jul 2009
I don't think people quite understand how creepy, hilarious and brilliant this movie actually is. You're all wrong! *plugs ears* "LA LA LA LA... Seriously though, this movie was WAY ahead of its time. The scene where Chip predicts, to pinpoint accuracy, how people will use the internet and the fact that this supposed connecting technology is spawning a whole new age of media inspired psychos and disconnected reality only solidifies the fact that Ben Stiller totally called it twenty years ago.
Rated 27 Apr 2008
Carrey as a disturbing, socially challenged, yet technically capable stalker was not palatable to the masses expecting his usual rubber faced douchebag routine. Approached with an open mind now reveals a solid performance from Carrey aided by amusing bit parts by Wilson and Stiller, along with Broderick's straight man competence. A script laden with numerous classic TV references and a rather intricate plot (for a comedy) rewards those who chance a second viewing.
Rated 21 Mar 2010
Don't really understand the hate, as this is an excellent dark comedy. Easily one of Carrey's best comedic roles.
Rated 19 Apr 2007
I thought this was pretty good actually for the mostpart, if you have seen any other Carrey film you should know exactly what to expect. Again, has some very good scenes and some stand-out hilarious moments but can begin to get a little monotonous after a while, possibly due to a patchy script.
Rated 02 Mar 2013
I think it's the cat's pajamas.
Rated 02 Jan 2015
Almost uncomfortably intense for a comedy. Like the Homer's Enemy episode of The Simpsons, it's basically a horror film about how awful it would be to know a rubber-faced cartoon character in real life.
Critics were far too harsh with this movie. Ben Stiller did a fine job in his directorial debut by giving us plenty of dark with our comedy.
Rated 18 Feb 2007
Kind of a guilty pleasure because it's so over the top ridiculous. It's not a good movie by any means but it's great to watch with a bunch of friends and just laugh at it.
Rated 06 Mar 2010
A little darker humor than Carrey fans may be used to, and don't expect any bodily ventriloquism. Carrey (did we mention he's in it?) gets to act with real life people. Director Stiller does a nice job of reining in his more manic impulses when necessary. Broderick holds his own as the reluctant pal. Original scripter Holtz won a Writer's Guild arbitration for sole writing credit from producer-writer Judd Apatow.
Not a great film by any stretch, but I appreciate the dark comic angle Stiller was taking. It's very hit or miss, but I'll take it over any of Carrey's other early films where he just gesticulates wildly for an hour and a half.
Rated 27 Apr 2009
Fun dark comedy that doesn't deserve the rap it gets.
Didn't get this one at all. Maybe I was drowsy, but it seemed rather pointless and boring.
Rated 18 Jan 2013
Comedy with a great atmosphere and decent social commentary.
Rated 23 May 2020
While conceptually I'm on board with the idea of mining humor from playing a comedian's wacky act terrifyingly straight, this is way too unsubtle to successfully pull it off. In particular, the presentation of the "moral" at the climax made me audibly groan in displeasure. Only a few jokes land, the rest being indistinguishable from Carrey's normal antics.
Rated 26 Apr 2022
I can't believe Jim Carey was paid a record $25 million to ruin this otherwise amusing satire on television. The humour is more understated, but Carey's overdone antics don't gel at all, distracting this film from keeping thematic focus by introducing Carey's "slapstick comedy" moments (basketball game, jousting, karaoke- all an unfunny waste of time). Carey is downright embarrassing to watch and truly reduces what could've been an otherwise entertaining and amusing satire.
Rated 24 Oct 2011
This is definitely bizarre and not a particularly well made film. But it does have something about it that was quite enjoyable, for me anyways. It was definitely better, at least comedicly, than people give it credit for. Dark and creepy made this movie, if it had been the silly version of Carrey we are used to, it would have fallen apart.
Rated 25 Aug 2014
Call this a bit of a guilty pleasure. This is a dark comedy not worthy of the hate it gets. Ben Stiller's direction and cinematography are pure bliss. Paired with Jim Carrey's stunningly psychotic performance, the rest of the movie is brought down. An alright movie with fantastic parts; a dark comedy that is great but not on the level of other cult classics, like Fargo.
Rated 21 Sep 2010
I actually was impressed with this a true "dark comedy". Carrey goes from funny to frightening in the blink of an eye and it's actually pretty impressive. The script has some flaws but all in all one of Carrey's more entertaining movies.
Rated 03 Apr 2010
dark twisted comedy, that has some really funny bits and also a very disturbing story at its center. A flop at the time it has won deservedly a cult status afterwards. one of carrey`s best.
Rated 09 Jul 2020
Carrey took a real risk playing such an unlikeable character at peak fame, which gave him the opportunity to tap into the darker undercurrents of his manic screen persona, fashioning an unusually aggressive but strangely sympathetic black comic turn as a lonely man whose tenuous grasp on reality was formed by parental neglect and media overload. While mass media critiques were common in the 90's, this stands out because the critique was snuck through the backdoor, and Carrey really goes for it.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
Intriguing premise but flawed delivery.
Rated 20 Jan 2008
It's a dark comedy, and it's odd, weird, and very different from Carrey's line-up. But it's also interesting and has its moments, if not a few big laughs. It's not for everyone certainly, and I can say it's not high on my list at all, but it's definitely worth checking out once - even if Matthew Broderick often gives me the sensation of having tiny needles placed along my spinal column.
Rated 31 May 2022
Of all of Carrey's comedies, this is the one that has stuck with me the most. I am unsure what the says about me. It's a dark comedy that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, but will have a special place in my heart because nostalgia will come for us all.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Used to be a huge Jim Carrey fan back in the day. I...guess I don't have more to say than that.
Panned when it was first released, I actually think this is one of Carrey's best. Dark but funny and well paced.
Rated 12 Jan 2007
Not good, but, at times, pretty fucking creepy.
Rated 05 Jun 2010
I liked this when I was a kid... but only because my parents hid it from me, i found it and watched it when they were in bed. Don't even remember the plot.
A long time since I saw this, but my recollection is that it is quite a dark satire on contemporary society that probably suffered commercially due to the admirable decision to fashion such an unpleasant protagonist.
Rated 06 Sep 2015
The two common camps for this movie seem to be "too dark for Carrey, I didn't like it" and "a nice change of pace for Carrey, I liked it". I feel like there's a third category and I'm right smack in the middle of it, the little known "it's sort of black comedy for Carrey so that's kind of cool, kind of refreshing, but the script is also dumb as shit in many places, so why ask a guy famous for being a rubber-faced goofball to tone it down a bit when you haven't got the script to match?" camp.
Rated 02 May 2011
I guess it was pretty funny, well Carrey was anyway. Other than his performance this film is very weak, the script was lacking as was the supporting cast. It dragged on a lot in between the funniest scenes and I found myself bored a few times too. Overall, it was pretty funny occasionally but not often enough.
Rated 15 Aug 2007
While I hated this film initially, this is slowly becoming a cult classic for me. It's still not a very good movie, but it's better than I initially gave it credit for, so if you're also on the fence after one viewing, you might wait a few months and watch it again.
Rated 02 Sep 2010
Terribly under appreciated film. I understand why people don't really like it, but I think it's been judged more based on Jim Carrey trying to branch out in styles than as a film itself. People wanted the Jim Carrey from The Mask, Ace Ventura, and Dumb and Dumber instead of the creepy and dark Carrey they got. I'm not saying this movie was flawless (in fact Broderick is very flawed), but it's not nearly as bad as people have said.
Rated 27 Mar 2007
I love the undercurrent of this story. While it plays for situation comedy most of the time, the obsessive character meshes with Carrey's own persona to create an eerie effect. This one time Stiller brings some meal to the table.
Rated 03 Dec 2010
Good movie that only truly pure people will understand.
Rated 08 Jan 2009
Underated. I didn't appreciate it as much as a kid cause it wasn't the colorful wacky Jim Carrey I loved, but now I appreciate it much more. Some of the parts in this movie are so bizarre and hilarious.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Darkly comic and at times very funny. Much of the average film making on display is lifted by Carrey's quality performance.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
Underrated. I liked how dark it was.
Rated 11 May 2011
Pretty dark for a mainstream comedy.
Rated 14 Dec 2010
It took me a really long time to recognize that there are a lot of great comedic moments in this movie, but I doubt I can ever ignore the fact that the third act is simply awful. Everything would have worked much better by leaving Chip as a sympathetic character, but placating the lowest common denominator by creating a clear villain ruined an otherwise enjoyable film.
Rated 19 Apr 2008
It's hard to give this a high score. To begin with it's pretty much entirely stale and flat, and it's easily one of Carrey's least inspired films. However, as it evolves it becomes a decently entertaining and interesting story, and it ends with a quite cliche, but still pretty true comment on society. Some great scenes, but pretty average. It's worth watching entirely for the medieval scene, which is absolutely brilliant.
Rated 10 Oct 2009
Decent story added to by carreys performance, one of the under-rated jim carrey movies
Rated 08 Sep 2008
This is a true staple film of postmodernism and probably Carrey's best performance. It manages to be a brilliant collection of pop culture references distilled into a bizarrely ironic "real slasher" flick. A refreshingly unique film. I only wish that much like the Matrix referenced Derrida, the book that Gass opens during the cable outage was Delillo's White Noise.
Rated 26 May 2008
Strong drama, often disliked by fans of Carrey's comedy side.
Rated 25 Dec 2009
Somehow the darker side of the cable guy seems to hamper Carrey's style. Adding only a more boring tone to his character. What he did manage however is to make "cable guy" something you could really use to describe a "friend" you didn't want to have.
Rated 23 Apr 2008
Extremely weird, but still entertaining. The film's relative failure is probably because Jim Carrey was playing a dark and deranged character instead of doing his usual goofy slapstick. His performance is still pretty funny though.
Rated 15 Aug 2014
Jim Carrey showing us his range in this film
Rated 24 Oct 2014
I... actually kinda dug this. The Cable Guy may feel slightly clichéd and a little slow, but I thought Carry was pretty slick in this strange, unusual turn for his career and I loved thst about it. Definitwly not for everyone, but I found it enjoyable!
Rated 30 Aug 2011
Daring and highly polarizing, there are certainly laughs to be found if you can withstand the awkwardness and uncomfortable tension between these characters.
Rated 05 Sep 2011
This is not so bad but at the end the movie little bit gets out of the hand.
Rated 07 May 2009
Definitely a low point in Jim Carey's career, this movie is more annoying than funny.
Rated 11 Sep 2009
One of the most under-appreciated comedies of all time.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
A funny movie... Jim Carrey is great as the demented cable guy, and Matthew Broderick makes a pretty good straight man.
Rated 25 May 2011
CULT
Rated 30 Aug 2007
Underrated. Carey is a genius.
Rated 05 May 2013
The horror of cable guys portrayed by Jim Carrey; very funny
Rated 17 Oct 2012
Hard to conjure up many other characters that juggle omniscience with subservience so deviously; pitifully.
Rated 30 Aug 2013
Sorely underrated film. The comedy is dry, dark, and brilliant. Great job by director Ben Stiller, and Jim Carey is unforgettable.
Rated 11 Feb 2009
Not bad, actually.
Rated 04 Jul 2009
What a surprise! Another Jim Carrey movie with a mediocre screenplay that is bolstered by the comedic talents of Jim Carrey.
Rated 08 Jun 2022
A strange film. An uncomfortable film. A marmite film. Dark and creepy, but also very funny. If you’re a fan of Carrey you may feel that the performance is overblown so, if you’re not a fan, this is definitely not the film to convert you. I, for one, welcome Stiller's creative and nightmarish direction, even if it's presenting a flawed script and a borderline redundant Jack Black.
Rated 26 Jul 2022
Has a few cute scenes but isn't the haha funny Jim Carrey of the past
Rated 18 Aug 2008
Another top 10 s**t list entry
Rated 11 Jul 2009
About as annoying as "Liar, Liar."
Rated 13 Oct 2007
not bad
Rated 14 Oct 2008
godly
Rated 10 Apr 2015
I don't care what people say, I really enjoyed this movie
Rated 10 Feb 2008
horror???
Rated 26 Jul 2020
Carrey is impressively disturbing and disturbed with Broderick similarly convincing in his rejection of the unhinged Carrey.
Rated 26 Nov 2011
A very annoying movie. Barely made it thru watching it.
Rated 23 Sep 2014
This movie could have been so much better. That's not to say that it wasn't a good movie, but too much of the humor early on comes from Jim Carey vamping. Latter on it has its moments, but it doesn't do a good enough job building it up through out. Its a very hit or miss film, but its the type of film that when you have the tv on in the background, and you happen to come across The Cable Guy you'd watch it, and probably end up enjoying it. BTW very impressive casting of bit roles.
The film has a couple of hilarious moments and a handful of decent chuckles sprinkled along the way but not enough for a recommendation of this misfire.
Rated 22 Jul 2009
This shows that making a film without a proper script and just letting Carrey loose in it isn't always a good thing.
Rated 23 Oct 2019
A fantastic dark comedy that lives and dies by Jim Carrey's deranged lead performance isn't for everyone, but for those few, it will be a winner.
Kind of a freaky Jim Carrey movie actually, and my least favourite. Some quality scenes, like at Medieval Times, but beyond that kind of crappy.
Jim Carrey's darkest and best comedy. He's both incredibly menacing and uproariously funny in equal doses. The karaoke scene is a scream.
Not great, not even close.
Rated 03 Jan 2022
The peak of Carrey's hidden chops and an off-beat concept that actually goes places. Could've only been made exactly when it was.
ben stiller is the only reason to watch this
It's kind of funny, but also pretty damn stupid.
Rated 22 Feb 2007
haha man....
Rated 15 May 2008
Back before I started wishing for Jim Carrey to fall off the face of the earth.
Rated 06 Jul 2007
Though it is quite funny, its weirdness makes it hard to watch often. The acting is also quite terrible, witch is probably the main reason it is so unenjoyable. Ugh!
great performance from Carrey
Rated 19 Nov 2011
UGGHHHHH I love to hate this movie! Seriously, Jim Carrey freaked me out and I felt powerless watching Matthew Broderick scramble to hold onto his sanity.
Rated 02 May 2008
Perhaps I like this movie for the sole reason that so many others hated it. A shallow reason, I do admit. His performance within of "Somebody to love" is the peak of this movie
Rated 15 Oct 2008
SOMEBODY KILL HIM ALREADY!
Rated 16 Jul 2009
Manages to be both funny and unsettling, but isn't quite enough of either to be great.
Rated 17 Sep 2008
komedie eller drama????
Rated 27 Jul 2007
I am more of a dark comedy type guy, so this movies was a little more enjoyable to me compared to most of Carrey's other works. This isn't much of a kid's film, as they will get kinda bored with all the dialog. Enjoy!
Rated 14 Jul 2014
Slated upon release for not being the typical Carrey mug fest, yet there is more going on here, and its well directed by Ben Stiller.
Rated 27 Apr 2007
Dark and quotable
Rated 18 Feb 2023
This certainly is a movie that accomplishes what it set out to do, but what that is... a half-formed example of Cringe Humor merged with an extremely 90s (derogatory) bit of media satire plus a very odd obsessed stalker horror story? Some of the jokes land, some of the horror lands, it's shot and acted and directed well and it has surprisingly good fight choreography, of all things? But fundamentally, it's a movie that doesn't seem to have a purpose, a goal, or an intended audience. Odd.
Rated 11 Dec 2014
Not a great comedy but has a weirdly aggressive and uncomfortable side to it that I think Stiller and Carrey both convey pretty well.
Rated 06 Sep 2008
yak
Rated 15 Jul 2023
It's alright. I can see a few people really liking it a lot but I'm not one of them.
Rated 09 Jun 2016
Everyone seems to hate this movie, but the hate is not warranted. It's not great, but it is passable, being sort of at the intersection between a weird dark comedy and light psychological horror.
Rated 24 Feb 2008
Jim Carrey's worst film I guess. Really don't see what's so funny..
Rated 27 Dec 2008
I somehow hate this film.
Rated 27 Feb 2007
Just doesnt accomplish what it attempts to do. Had anyone but Carrey been cast it may have never even been made.
Rated 08 Sep 2011
Who else wished to kick Jim Carrey's ass?