The Card Counter
The-Card-Counter

The Card Counter

2021
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
The film, written and directed by Schrader, follows William Tell (Isaac), a gambler and former serviceman who sets out to reform a young man seeking revenge on a mutual enemy from their past. Tell just wants to play cards. His spartan existence on the casino trail is shattered when he is approached by Cirk, a vulnerable and angry young man seeking help to execute his plan for revenge on a military colonel. (imdb)
Franchise: Man in a Room
Freevee

I don’t think anyone’s shot a casino with such accuracy before. Just how ugly and drab it is when you get in there, especially the casinos outside of the major ones in Las Vegas. Schrader should probably stay off Facebook and just continue to re-shape Pickpocket through the lens of lonely and violent American men.
I must be losing my marbles. This is by far one of the worst movies I've seen in quite some time. About 2/3 of the way through I nearly walked out of the theater. The film is flawed on so many fundamental levels. Was a score even produced for this film?? Did Tiffany Haddish have the most gruesome blackmail on Paul Schrader?? How was she not recast? I honestly cannot believe my eyes reading all the critic reviews and scores. I would rather stare into the sun for 2 hrs than watch this film again
A film that is both story and character driven is a rare treat these days. TCC is fueled by a minimal story, one that opposes the weight of past decisions with the vainness of present actions; Conceptually simple, yet fascinating and challenging in its moral complexity. It's a minimal piece of work, well performed and effectively shot, with editing and lens choices that would make any arthouse director jealous. Hats off to Schrader for calling his own film the best one of the year, which it is.
Harder Eight
Exactly what I want from a Schrader film. He's not "doing the same thing again" as some are suggesting. He's playing to his strengths in crafting a fresh story with a new broken, complex lead character.

Submitted bydjrossdjross on 28 Jul 2021