The City of Lost Children

The City of Lost Children

1995
Sci-fi

Rated 27 Mar 2007
I don't know if it is appropriate to call T.C.O.L.C. surreal. It is more of an extrapolated fable lost inside industrialism. Jeunet&Caro alamet-i farika laying the eggs for the last time together. Beauty of ugliness.
Rated 05 Jan 2008
Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet has a wonderful ability to make films original, humorous, and most of all, emotionally engaging. The City of Lost Children is a terrific and artistic work with dozens of unique characters, all of which are very well acted. The film evokes such an array of emotions and thoughts that it simply must not be overlooked. Awesome!
Rated 29 Nov 2009
Jeunet and Caro create another grotesque, dark and cruel world, where love is hard to be found. Outstanding acting, great photography, superb soundtrack. And above it all, an amazing story about people(some good, some bad), searching happiness - may that for them be love, power and money or 'just' dreams.
Rated 28 Jul 2014
A visually imaginative and detailed film if there ever was one. Jeunet's mise en scène is something to drop your jaws at, as is the film's carefully built texture, its twisted settings and outlandish characters. And despite the filmmakers' best efforts to add emotional context (it's a film where a lot of kids stare around looking cute, after all) this is a picture so absorbed in its own (creepy, wondrous) world I found myself shut off half of the times. It's a marvel but it can be alienating.
Rated 17 Jun 2008
If Jeunet and Guillermo del Toro decide to make a film together, I'll be the 1st in line to see it. I'm not gonna debate the negative aspects of this film (not that many in the end), this film is very special and doesn't deserve any bashing. Ron Perlman did a great job, but it's really Judith Vittet who plays Miette that outshines everyone. The story is dark and weird but also funny and sweet. I'd love to see more films like this, sparkling with originality and ideas...
Rated 24 Apr 2018
Enchanting & naively nightmarish fairytale. Some neat ideas that mostly come through in the wonderfully creative visuals. Great dreamy atmosphere but uneven with narrative style & substance. There's definitely some genius in this but it comes across as whimsical & lacks the emotional attachment it needs to make satisfactory sense. Jeunet & Caro are brilliant artists but not quite up there with Gilliam & del Toro as storytellers. Gorgeous Badalamenti score almost made up for the clumsy narrative.
Rated 26 Oct 2007
Whimsical and delightful... as well as creepy. Some great SFX for the time, and the setting is wonderful. Besides, a Jeunet & Caro-fueled Dominique Pinon and Ron Perlman in the same film? I'm sold.
Very interesting film indeed. Great camera work and expressive set design combined with over the top acting compliment the story very well making for a fantastic film. Ron Perlman is especially impressive as he doesn't speak any french!
Rated 23 Jun 2011
I love the fact that if I ever think that I'll never see another original movie idea, I can just watch a Jean-Pierre Jeunet film and see something I've never seen before. He's like some amazing combination of Tim Burton, Wes Anderson, and Terry Gilliam only the actors are all speaking French.This movie is awesome and anyone who believes movies are an art should watch it and every other movie he has directed and feel smug about their cinematic ideologies.
Rated 05 Jan 2009
Really, really hard to describe, let alone digest. There are great ideas lurking in here, but it may just be too goofy to be taken on its merits. A child's fairytale nightmare on Red Bull.
Rated 04 Mar 2013
Of all the dream movies I've seen, this is the most dream like. And every movie is improved with the addition of Dominique Pinon. This movies got seven of him.
Rated 02 Apr 2023
No more comprehensible than any of Jeunet/Caro’s other films (and I suspect that convolutions have been added to give the appearance of greater substance), but it is difficult not to become charmed and absorbed by the often times spectacular and galvanising set and character design, peopled by an array of eccentric and oddball character types that makes this feel like Gilliam with a delightful shot of George Miller energy. Perlman’s stoic strongman is a terrific guide through the madness.
Rated 06 Oct 2012
Wonderfully inventive and whimsical. Relies a bit too much on contrivance to be truly spectacular, but the humor, design and visuals are a real treat.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Really compelling visuals. I wasn't always sure what was happening but it was definitely happening with style.
Rated 12 Feb 2009
It's um... interesting. It's definitely completely out there and that makes it fascinating. The set designs are astounding and there are some fantastic ideas in there but like some others have said... it's quite goofy. It's nice to see a movie with such good ideas not taking itself completely seriously and I like ridiculous things, but sometimes it goes too far and you can't get the connection you need. But you need to see it because it's totally original and beautiful.
Rated 13 Apr 2021
jenuet and caro's unique vision is extraordinary. it's quite outside the mainstream of its age, very avangarde even comparing it to the likes of tim burton. the attention to detail in set design, photography and the general atmosphere is excellent. the real stars of the show are the incredible cast, a veritable freak show coming together for this dark fairy tale. one of a kind experience.
Rated 31 Dec 2007
Fantastic, escapist and hypnotic, it's a much more interesting film than Delicatessen was plot-wise.
Rated 25 Nov 2020
Bioshock 2: The Movie but the plot's even more convoluted and the Big Daddy's a useless babbling crybaby that speaks French like a Spanish cow.
Rated 14 Jul 2011
You should absolutely believe the hype, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did Delicatessen, though it's still a very impressive film. It scooches just a bit over my tolerated level of cinematic excess limit, but only just a bit.
Rated 17 Jan 2010
Whilst being amongst the most visually inventive and beautiful films in cinema, the overall feel is that of it's plot: You're witnessing the nightmare of a child. The result is a quirky, moody and largely uncomfortable film. It is a film d'art, and an absolute must-see for any cinephile, but that doesn't mean you're going to like it.
Rated 29 Dec 2017
I literally did not know what to expect with this film. I didn't even realize beforehand it was French, with Ron Perlman starring and a (seemingly) Native American on the cover. What a pleasant surprise; this movie is a visual treat. I enjoyed the odd steam-punk fairy-tale of a story, even if it didn't sink very deep for me.
Rated 21 Sep 2009
Fucking gorgeous. The steampunk design and colourful cinematography in this are some of the most original and insane/beautiful you'll ever see. The film feels like an adventure game, a la The Longest Journey or Syberia - unsurprisingly, it was adapted into a game. A hell of a ride.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Jeunet puts forth a really good fantasy/fairy tale-ish movie that's unarguably unique.
Rated 15 Jun 2011
I shudder to imagine the amount of drugs used by the staff in creating this film.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
This is a movie that when I tell people about it, I say, "If you tend to like movies on a purely visual level, you'll LOVE this one." And it's true. Though the story is only mediocre to decent, it's the quirky visual style that puts City of the Lost Children above and beyond the rest. It's so bizarre and interesting that I can't help but love it.
Visually stunning, but very rarely has something going on beyond that
Rated 27 Apr 2008
A mysterious and elegant painting of a strange, dark and scabby world. The sticky atmosphere created is seductive, the various distinctive characters fascinating, and the ongoing sentimentality delightful. While it may not manage to attain a profoundly moving and throught-provoking climax, the film is filled with fascinating images, as well as ideas.
Rated 20 Jun 2010
My third Jeunet and by no means an average one. The designers really pulled all the punches here and the acting is everything you'd expect of a Jeunet film. Dominique Pinon is given quite a bit of screen time and he's a joy in every second of it. I'm not sure how this compares to Amelie, but I don't think it quite edges out Micmacs.
Rated 13 Oct 2009
Jawdroppingly beautiful and deliciously dark. In my opinion it's the pinnacle of lyrical moviemaking.
Rated 03 Jul 2009
The visuals are astounding and memorable, and it has a very interesting atmosphere. These such images and the accompanying ideas help to make this a fascinating experience.
Rated 15 Feb 2014
Absolute horseshit. Too many half-interesting ideas not adding up to anything, and not a human moment to be found.
Rated 11 Oct 2014
This movie was ahead of its time. The cinematography is simply incredible. Beyond that, the plot is engaging, the actors are unique and great: it's a successful experiment in big screen surrealism. A true classic.
Rated 30 Jul 2008
Weird. Visually great! I watched in French, English, then with the commentary. Liked it better each time.
Rated 19 Aug 2012
Always interesting to look at but the messy plot made me lose focus at some points.
Rated 31 Jul 2007
A lot of art, but the story is lacking.
Rated 18 Oct 2007
Surreal
Rated 06 Jun 2008
Full of fascinating images and ideas. The atmosphere is hard to explain, similar to that of Brazil or 12 Monkeys but in its own way very different. Anyone with a penchant for fantasy or the bizarre needs to check this out. Probably Jeunet's best work.
Rated 01 Feb 2020
I really want to like a film where a director creates his own world, and parts of the world I indeed quite liked, but sadly most of it turned out to be as annoying to me as the main actors garish accents.
Rated 17 May 2008
Bizarre and twisted French fairy tale with incredible visual style. Perlman has obviously just memorized his French dialog phonetically, though...his pronunciation/accent is pretty bad.
Rated 20 Apr 2021
Sorry but the whole Jeunet-Caro thing is so transparently trying to be Gilliam in terms of visuals, while adding circuitous plot points to fill in the running time.
Rated 17 Feb 2008
Visually stunning film with some nice ideas. Overacting is a bit annoying and the plot isn't really compelling.
Rated 11 Nov 2014
Tres bien!
Rated 29 Sep 2018
What a nightmare! There're so many horrified children this is borderline child abuse. On a serious note, the movie is great, but too grotesque for my taste.
Rated 03 Nov 2008
Jean-Pierre Jaunet / Marc Caro fantasy.
Rated 03 Aug 2007
It's like all the kids' movies I grew up on - Labyrinth, Neverending Story, etc. - but turned up to eleven. Perlman finally gets the quality heroic role he deserved.
Rated 17 Feb 2008
In a good way a bit childish story that looks amazing all the way. Starts dragging a bit towards the end when all the good ideas have been introduced.
Rated 23 Jan 2008
The surreal nature of the movie is excellent, with decent costumes and stupifying set designs.
Rated 04 Mar 2013
All the steampunk details pleases the eye, all the characters were built well with no exception and that's one of the reasons why it gets harder to keep focused along the way. The same goes for the plot. Still,one of the most dream-like films about dreams.
Rated 20 Jan 2013
Blarg. I wanted to like it - and I do like the steampunk clothing and locales - but for the most part I found the film's unfunny attempts at humour and cloying visuals very annoying, not to mention the often saccharine musical score which completely doesn't suit the film. Sure there's plenty of imagination on show but it feels like it's all been shoved in just to fill the screen rather than to leave any lasting impact or create anything even vaguely resembling depth as regards world creation.
Rated 05 Dec 2023
It can be a bit hard to follow at times, but there's a lot to like about this odd movie.
Rated 16 Oct 2008
Jeunet strikes again. I think this one is best compared with Delicatessen: Positively insane characters, a retro future, and a mindbending plot.
Rated 17 Dec 2010
The visuals are much superior to the satisfaction I felt after it was over. Still, worth watching more than once.
Rated 28 Jul 2011
Nice set design and photography, but unimpressive story that didn't appeal to me. I liked the surrealistic steampunk setting though.
Rated 11 Dec 2012
Expected more - disappointing.
So strange it's interesting. It feels like watching a very extraordinary child play with anything he can get his hands on.
Rated 09 Aug 2008
This was such a wonderfully dark and twisted fairytale. with a dry wit and morbidly enchanting characters.
Rated 02 Apr 2022
Miette: "When you're born in the gutter you end up in the port."
Rated 10 Jun 2009
Very French, vaguely followable.
Rated 03 Aug 2010
I wouldn't expect this to be a straight forward film. An out there sci-fi piece that turned out to be a similar feat to Gilliam's 'Brazil'.
A new kind of filmmaking. Engaging, beatiful and mostly brilliant.
Score based on distant memory.
Interesting and icky.
Rated 14 Apr 2007
Great imagery but still occasionally becomes slow
Rated 21 Jun 2008
Like a really strange dream. The visuals are the best part.
Rated 14 Feb 2013
A forgotten pearl
Rated 23 Aug 2007
Good
Rated 21 Jun 2008
A visceral, visually compelling and awesome little foreign film. Bizarre and twisted in all the right ways.
Rated 29 Dec 2008
One of my favorite movies. Weird, dreamy surrealism in a bleak steampunky technoworld. Just great visually and emotionally.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
Ron Perlman is at his best in films like this. I love this creepy shit.
Rated 18 Aug 2010
4/5
Rated 17 Nov 2021
Something in this made it unpleasant to me. A sort of lifelessness & coldness despite all the visual intrigue & style.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Great movie. I remember seeing a preview for this on a very old VHS, I don't even remember what it was, but I ALWAYS wanted to see it after that. I probably didn't see it until 4 or 5 years after that, but I'm glad I did. Loved the scenes and the characters.
Rated 02 Nov 2009
cool visual style and design, a bit to dark and gloomy for me
Rated 30 Mar 2008
An artistic, unique fantasy story.
Rated 10 Nov 2023
Miette pour la vie.
Rated 03 Oct 2013
Rated 14 Dec 2006
Surreal and awesome.
Rated 16 Nov 2007
very creepy, but love ron perlman in this.
Rated 15 Aug 2012
Fascinating but mostly just eccentric for eccentricity's sake with not much substance. The music by Angelo Badalamenti was great.
Rated 27 Feb 2007
OMG, this movie blew my mind when I first saw it! It's the first movie where I actually saw Ron Pearlman as a great not so creepy actor!
Rated 31 May 2012
It's good to watch if you want to see an impressive visual style, or Ron Perlman in a French movie, or if you're just a fan of Jeunet. There's a pretty weird sense of humor here though (considerably weirder than something like Amelie) and the story is sometimes confusing. A little more backstory might have helped, but I think it's meant to play out somewhat like a fairy tale, though I think some of this stuff would have scared me as a kid. I don't know.
Rated 20 Aug 2014
nice touch
Rated 20 May 2010
The story is OK, but the imagery is incredible and dark.
Rated 24 Aug 2007
Beautiful, just teetering on the edge of making sense.
Rated 15 Jun 2012
Probably Jeunet and Caro's best film.
Rated 30 Nov 2022
I'm not sure I could tell you what this steampunk fantasy was about, but I was impressed throughout with the practical effects and the gonzo sense of humor.
Visually amazing, and trippy. I love this film
Rated 21 Jan 2019
Visually splendid but narratively barren. Without a compelling story (which fantasy films usually need, at least for me) I found it hard to invest myself.
Rated 27 Jul 2010
Weird, fantastic, surreal movie. The set is and eye for detail is incredible. Really good acting, great camera work. A dreamlike movie and is a real treat for the eye
Rated 16 Sep 2008
Perhaps it's good, but it's barely entertaining.
Rated 12 Dec 2007
11 Aralik 07 - mukemmel bir hayalgucunun urunu.Jeunet'in masalsi tarzi, mukemmel dekor ve muziklerle birlesince, uzun sure unutulmayacak bir film meydana gelmis.
Rated 20 Feb 2007
Fucking awesome.
Rated 03 Mar 2007
Surreally awesome.
Rated 10 Nov 2008
Surreal? Yes. Memorable? Yes. Containing a point? No. I came away wondering "Why did I just watch that? And what message was the director trying to convey?" No film that leaves me with such questions deserves a high rating.
Rated 16 Mar 2009
Typical Jeunet et Caro work. Compareably to "Delicatessen" for example.Original and fantastic set.
Rated 21 Apr 2017
the top of the list for years...
Weird.
Rated 04 May 2011
Nice Movie
Rated 20 Oct 2013
it was fantastic.
Rated 24 Apr 2008
This is as close to as living in the dream of a child as you will ever get in the movies. Surreal, beautiful, spooky.