The Creator
The-Creator

The Creator

2023
Sci-fi
Against the backdrop of a war between humans and robots with artificial intelligence, a former soldier finds the secret weapon, a robot in the form of a young child.
Amazon VideoApple TVHuluGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

Absolutely atrocious. Internal story/world logic goes out the window within scenes – nevermind across the entire movie – which coupled with a plot filled with holes and cardboard-cutout characters left me increasingly struggling to keep my eyes open. Steals ideas from A.I., District 9, Elysium and many others, but without any overarching principle. But sure – it looks OK.
The rating I did give it is because it looks cool. And because it's surprisingly very anti-US Army. But the script isn't functional on the most basic of levels, it's loaded with story cliches, it has a country called New Asia and all of its twists were extremely predictable. The world has interesting elements, but it's not coherent or cohesive. Some of the soundtrack was nice! Nothing worked for me on a character / emotional level.
ChatGPT prompt: Story from AI & Star Wars bots & can we do Christopher Nolan’s style? & make sure a monk rings the alarm bell like in 2012 & Matrix sentinel ripping someone apart & beautiful song by Radiohead & standard CGI stuff from Elysium, District 9 etc. & mega spaceship scanning stuff with a laser & generic angry general and deputy (let’s make her female) blowing things up & oh yeah, it’s 2055, so definitely the control center from Apollo 13 and some corded phones pls. Execute.
It's tremendous to looking at, the CGI team all deserve a long round of applause. Sadly, I don't think the script and editing are up to the same level. We'd be talking about a classic otherwise. Lots of potential ideas, none really worked through. Certainly a big (BIG!) screen watch, I was left wanting something more.
Feels like I should "reward" this more for being a pretty decent sci-fi flick in a world of shit. But come on, there isn't a single original thought in this. I bet my life savings this was pitched as "every scifi movie meets every nam movie with a side of every miracle child and road movie" and thus pants were jizzed.

Submitted byjarobmuljarobmul on 17 May 2023