The Dungeon of Harrow
The-Dungeon-of-Harrow

The Dungeon of Harrow

1962
Horror
An evil, sadistic count lives in a waterfront castle with his insane family members. One day the survivor of a shipwreck washes ashore near the castle and finds himself a captive there. (imdb)
Tubi TVPlexPlex Player

It's no exploitation masterpiece, but it's a killer midnight movie. The bombast overkill of the music, the unapologetic appropriation of Victorian horror tropes, the generous lack of cinematography, and especially the English characters with hints of Texan racism, all come together for an experience best and most wonderfully remembered in the fleeting glimpses of consciousness.
Here's a Christmas challenge for everybody: Ask me in three weeks if I remember a single detail from this movie. That's not entirely fair. There's one great line in this. "The truth is dark enough on its own we shouldn't talk about it at night." That's paraphrasing because this movie just isn't that memorable. But the idea of that line is a lot stronger than the production/direction/acting deserves.
It would be tough to find a more enjoyably cheesy movie than this one. The actors often have quite engaging moments, in the midst of the general \"model boats in a bathtub\" ambience. Oh yeah, and the VOs are a lot of fun too. :)
This ended up being a cheap poorly made horror film filled with bad acting and boring narration. I mean the whole production is too inept too be cheesy fun. It's under 90 minutes but it really drags, the finale pay off didn't help matters any either. Ultimately this was so boring that it was hard to sit through because my attention kept wandering.

Submitted bymacswellMacSwell on 04 Apr 2018