The Exorcist III
The-Exorcist-III

The Exorcist III

1990
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
A serial killer haunts the streets of Georgetown, do these events have anything to do with the exorcism of 15 years ago? (imdb)
Franchise: The Exorcist
We weren't able to find any streaming offers for The Exorcist III

Don’t worry ma’am our best detective is on it, we will find out who killed your child. *a geriatric George C Scott blusters in foaming at the mouth with rage*
Succeeds almost exclusively because it shouldn't be any good at all, but it is. Not great mind you, but good. This is where I make a NY Knicks joke thus tying in Patrick Ewing and mediocrity but that would be rude and frankly, beneath me. But he doesn't have any Championship rings. It's like the difference between Jason Miller and George C. Scott. That one win goes a long way.
It has its problems (the White Priest out of nowhere, the actual exorcism ending) but the rest is so amazing it's hard to hate. Blatty's dialogue is such a refreshing blend of deep theology and pop culture; Scott, Dourif, and Miller act circles around their peers, given the nature of the content. Interestingly, all dreams I've ever had with Fabio and Samuel L. Jackson are just as messed. I wonder why.
Low-key, talky, moody sequel. Dourif is pretty neat as a creepy psycho (is the guy ever cast as anything else?) and Scott really pours his soul into the role which kept me glued to the screen. The 2-second Fabio cameo was the amazing jumpscare everyone is talking about, right?
83? Yeah, I can't believe it either. But hey, any cast that features Fabio, Larry King, Samuel L. Jackson (for 2 seconds) and Patrick Ewing automatically gets a big thumbs up from me. Seriously though, I was completely shocked by how good this was compared with my expectations and it very well might feature the greatest "jump scare" that I've ever seen. The ending felt far too abrupt and some of the Scott/Douriff scenes felt too much like a stage performance, but this is a fine, dark thriller.

Submitted byelmarcoelmarco on 18 Apr 2006