The Exorcist
Amazon VideoApple TVfuboTVParamount+ Amazon ChannelParamount PlusShowtime Apple TV Channel
Paramount Plus Apple TV Channel
The-Exorcist

The Exorcist

1973
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
A troubled cleric tries to help a very disturbed teenage girl.
Franchise: The Exorcist
Paramount Plus Apple TV Channel
Google Play Movies
Vudu
Showtime
Microsoft Store

Overpraised horror movie produced by a major studio, which meant a larger budget and more publicity than other horror movies released until that point. Concerns the great fear of American parents that when their daughters reach adolescence, they will become obscene bitches. The horror for 1973 audiences derived in large measure from the unsettling feeling provoked by breaking the taboo in movies against hearing children utter profanities. The main problem is that it is rather tedious and silly.
I first saw this movie at a way too young age, it did nothing for me, just mostly talking and then some pea soup headspinning spookies. As I get older and revisit it I just get filled with dread. No not the head spinning pea soup spookies but the horrible medical procedures ... the helplessness of watching a parent age and so on but nothing compares to how long I thought Max Von Sydow was pushing 80 years old in 1973 and than decided to live another 50+ years.
This movie perplexed me ; Watching as a child it freaked me out But as a adult watching it's really not that scary unless your perhaps deeply religious If you ask me the only thing scary was the machines used to test the girl Yes I understand at the time no one had seen anything like it But I can't imagine grown adults running and screaming from the theater
That little girl be swearin' and head twistin' and puke-spewin' and floatin' crucifix-masturbatin' and oh my lordy *dabs sweat off forehead with handkerchief*
1973? This must have been some fairly scary crap! Horror film wise: Blair is scary, it takes it's time to make thing scarier I feel, and some of the scariest effects and imagery I have ever seen in any scary movie. Movie wise: Good directing and writing along with great performances and make-up, and great cinematography. Probably really is the scariest movie I have viewed personally, and definitely in my top 5 horror movies. True terror and horror at it's greatest.

Submitted byjdb361jdb361 on 30 Mar 2006