The Eyes of My Mother
The-Eyes-of-My-Mother

The Eyes of My Mother

2016
Drama, Horror
A young, lonely woman is consumed by her deepest and darkest desires after tragedy strikes her quiet country life. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVfuboTVHuluGoogle Play MoviesVudu
Pluto TV
FlixFling
Plex
Plex Player

Hypnotic, deeply unsettling horror movie benefits from a small cast of unknowns, and deliberate ambiguities in motivation, time-frame and location, alienating and setting its audience on-guard. Pesce is mostly discreet with explicit gore, favouring suggestion and insinuation, though the "money-shot" sequences are genuinely horrifying. Exceptional black & white cinematography emphasise the brutal landscape, and help Pesce drag his audience through a hideous nightmare. A quite amazing experience.
A very annoying movie which tortures the viewer without any compromise, and does that without any superstitious element or jump-scare shit. And on a philosophical level it seems to meditate on the notion of body, memory, identity and violence. Main girl, as the victim of a founding violence, seeks retribution in vain producing more injustice as she distorts the memories and identities of people. Can be easily read through history, politics and violence. Creepy stylistic gore resembling "Angst".
Like a Bela Tarr take on Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Not sure it makes sense entirely, but then maybe that's not the point either, and it certainly has a mood that keeps your eyes glued to the screen. Or stitched, as the case may be.
Some people just live differently. Who are we to question their unique upbringing, their storied culture, their warped desire to rear other peoples' babbys (OPB, yeah you know me)? What I learned from this (and every other movie): If someone has a barn on their pristine pastoral property, there is a 90% chance that it has, at one time or another, been used to torture or imprison someone (most likely both).
A horror film as if directed by Bela Tarr, or perhaps Michael Haneke circa The White Ribbon: slow, austere, grim, oppressively dark, shot in a high-contrast black-and-white to emphasize its otherwordliness as the characters violently grapple with each other at the edge of the world. As much as anything, about the internalized misogyny women are capable of carrying due to the circumstances of their adolescence.

Submitted bygargantuagargantua on 30 May 2016