Showtime Apple TV Channel

1990
Crime
In this third film in the epic Corleone trilogy, Al Pacino reprises the role of powerful family leader Michael Corleone. Now in his 60's, Michael is dominated by two passions: freeing his family from crime and finding a suitable successor. That successor could be fiery Vincent (Garcia)... but he may also be the spark that turns Michael's hope of business legitimacy into an inferno of mob violence.

1990
Crime

Rated 24 Jan 2020
OK, I get that this isn't the movie that everyone (including the filmmakers) hoped it would be - you have to qualify it a dozen ways before you can even start talking about it - but at the end of the day, it's a good movie with glimmers of the old Godfather greatness throughout. And seriously, folks, Sofia's not THAT bad.
Rated 21 Dec 2016
Cartoon Al Pacino has absorbed the 70s powerhouse. Sofia constantly looks like she's going to bust out an Elvis impression. Joe Mantegna stretches for his Baby's Day Out role. Andy Garcia was a thing. Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.
Rated 02 Mar 2009
Definetely not as bad as I've heard. I avoided this for a long time but I'm glad I saw how it ended. The climax is incredible and rivals the previous 2 films. My main complaint, like everyone else, is Sofia fucking Coppola. What are you doing in this movie? That chick can not act to save her life and (spoiler) when she dies it's actually kind of satisfying. Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.
Rated 20 Jun 2014
I'm about to blow your mind and shatter everything you thought you knew about movies: Andy Garcia is no Robert De Niro.
Rated 16 Feb 2007
Underrated. This is pretty good stuff, I dunno why people hate it so much.
Rated 10 Feb 2009
It isn't Godfather I or II but it is Godfather III, so its not that bad.
Rated 17 Jan 2010
Bad acting galore. It's easy to trash Sofia Coppola, but Andy Garcias psycho, that in one scene turns ice cold Godfather, is ridiculous. The biggest problem though, is the Michael Corleone character, morphed into a Pacino special. It's impossible to believe that it's the same character we left in Godfather 2. The movie goes bigger and more operatic, and thus the "buying out the catholics" plot is megalomaniac and over-the-top. Not as boring as part II, though, but by all means a poorer film.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Much maligned, and harshly so. Still full of excellent performances and a great ending.
Rated 16 Dec 2008
Certainly not as good as the first two, but how did it ever have a chance? It's still a fine film, and Pacino once again satisfies completely with a wonderful performance. It's worth the length of the film just to watch the man act. A decent end to the best trilogy in film history. Really needs Sofia Coppola not to be in it though.
This is not your father's Godfather. This film comes oh so close to ruining the reputation of the first two films. Still worth seeing, but just be warned. Go watch Goodfellas and the Sopranos.
Rated 11 Feb 2009
Better than most people would have you believe.
Rated 05 Jan 2008
Not just a bad Godfather installment, it's a pretty bad film on it's own as well. Forgettable plot, weird incestual love stories, and Sofia Coppola.
Rated 06 Nov 2008
Why do we need to see Michael slump in a chair some indeterminate amount of years into the future? Is that Coppola's idea of closure? This is the final inexplicable moment in a film full of them. Why does this movie exist? Michael Corleone is damned, this was made clear - with more subtlety, sadder resonance, and good acting - sixteen years before The Godfather pt III was ever released.
There is a reason why no one likes this movie. Actually, there are several reasons, but the main one is Sofia Coppola.
Rated 21 Jun 2010
heartbreaking to see this epic trilogy end like THIS.
Rated 23 Dec 2014
Gosh, all over the place. A mix of some truly tremendous and appalling moments.
Rated 27 Jun 2014
Now let me just say, besides Pacino and Garcia, this movie had few redeeming qualities in terms of acting. Couple that with a good story, as long as you don't compare it to the first two, and it stands out as the weakest link. Yet, it is a terrific ending to the trilogy and fits nicely with the other two.
Rated 25 Jul 2007
Least interesting of the three but the trilogy is nothing without it.
Rated 22 Sep 2010
I didn't have the huge problems with it that others did. Obviously not as good as its predecessors but still an interesting wrap up filled with a (mostly) talented cast.
Rated 23 Mar 2022
Continuing my 2022 tradition of seeing movies, I saw this movie
Rated 31 Aug 2007
Worst Ending ever.
Rated 06 Jul 2010
A film that never seems to realize how far it has drifted from its roots. It tries to emulate the dramatic structure of the original movie, yet ends up looking like a direct-to-DVD sequel.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
Not a bad movie in any way, but compared to the two greatest movies of all time that follow it, it's hard not to be crushingly disappointed by it.
Rated 18 Dec 2009
Fugeddaboutit.
Rated 17 Jun 2007
Really disappointing considering what the first two were, but putting that aside, The Godfather III is not a bad film, but it is in no way comparable to the first two. It is still the Godfather, and I can't really put my finger on why it is so inferior to the first two, I'm not really going anywhere with this review, and I guess i'm just thinking and typing simultaneously, but all i can say is that i recommend this, but be prepared to be disappointed.
Rated 11 Aug 2009
Not a monstrosity, just kind of dull.
Rated 02 Jan 2021
Watched the Coda. This feels like a series of events that happen to occur, with a larger narrative not quite there. My favourite moment was the mobster exclaiming about his lucky coat.
Rated 02 Dec 2013
The Godfather: Part III had the impossible task of trying to recapture the quality of it's predecessors. This is by no means a bad film, it's just an unworthy sequel that feels disconnected from the tradition of the saga. Al Pacino somewhat feels like a different character and Robert Duvall in particular is sorely missed. The cast cannot live with the quality of their predecessors and whilst Andy Garcia is tolerable, Sofia Coppola is truly woeful. This is nothing more than an echo of nostalgia.
Rated 13 Jan 2008
There could have certainly been a better end to the trilogy, but Part III still holds up well only fading slightly when compared to the first two. Coppola has done yet another good job at directing the often complex scenes and with some good acting and plot twists which have come to be expected in any Godfather film, it provides an entertaining if rather drawn out viewing.
Rated 22 Jul 2010
Not as good as the first one, but still a great conclusion of this epic trilogy.
Rated 01 Feb 2007
A departure from the spirit of the first film, but that's because it's 20 years later and times have changed. While the film's story is a little more unnecessary than that of Part II's, it's interesting to watch Michael Corleone struggle with his inner demons instead of unleashing them. Pacino gives his most powerful performance of the trilogy.
Rated 23 Jan 2017
Effectively this feels like The Godfather: Part IV. There is too much of a disconnect from the first two films and it feels 'off' throughout. The most obvious example is the lack of Duvall's Hagan. Just a casual remark that he died to explain his absence and Hamilton fails to fill the gap. Is Sofia C's acting the worst ever in an Best Picture nominated film? It's up there. But all that aside, which is a lot, it still concludes the trilogy fairly well and there are a number of worthwhile scenes.
Rated 22 Mar 2013
A solid movie that is unfairly maligned due to its predecessors, either of which could easily be considered the greatest film of all time. The only real problem is the acting is pretty sub-par by almost all involved, especially the atrocious performance by Sofia Coppola. And her character is given way too much story. That said, it's still a good movie. It's well made and provides a fitting and satisfying end for the trilogy.
Rated 04 Mar 2009
pay robert duvall whatever he asks, spend some more time on the script, and this could've been great. as it is, it relies on parts 1 and 2 to work and it barely does.
Rated 30 Aug 2008
Still a very good sequel, only the performance of Coppola's daughter Sophia as Corleone's daughter is not really good, that's why I don't give it a 90. It's better that she is following into her father's footsteps now and makes movies instead of being an actor in movies.
Rated 01 Dec 2009
Why on Earth was this made
Rated 04 Aug 2009
It isn't really as great as the first two - the third act of this beautiful crime saga is slower and more analytic than its predecessors -, but still has its qualities, such as the political intrigue and the deep examination of Michael Corleone.
Rated 25 Jan 2010
The only reason this doesn't rank lower is because the ending is a satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy. Despite how truly abysmal some of the acting is there are still some rather powerful scenes in the movie. It was a big mistake not getting Robert Duvall back though to reprise his role. The cast felt a little "light" without some of the old cast aside from Al Pacino.
Rated 25 Mar 2022
(Coda Edit) I appreciate this version ditched the III and adds Coda: it treats the events of the first two films as if they were myth, long since faded from waking memory, transcending into fable. The film’s choices in shots, acting technique, cadence, seem to want to repel the style of these tall tales - but like Michael, the more the film pushes them away, the more they haunt the living. It’s sometimes obtuse but the enterity of the opera sequence here is some of Coppola’s most poetic work.
Rated 06 Jul 2009
Sofia Coppola, Nuff said
Rated 18 Sep 2009
Not quite as awful as people say, but still not in the class of the first two, and yeah, Sofia Coppola sucked. When people in the theater CHEERED when she got shot at the end, you know you missed the mark.
Rated 09 May 2011
Very underrated movie! Great story (again), beautifully written. Unfortunately, for me most of the charm of the first two Godfathers came from Al Pacino's Michael Corleone, I loved this silent, unpredictable and seemingly ruthless character. The story, however, required a character change, which I think was good but still disappointing. The only criticism I really have is Sofia Coppola's acting - compared to Andy Garcia and Al Pacino its just "bad". Without Godfather I and II it would be classic
Rated 15 Sep 2007
After the first two movies, Part III is a huge let down. I am not sure Mario Puzo's book was even as good as the first two. The acting is still good, the directing is still good, but the story is just not there.
Rated 15 Aug 2008
Moments of brillaince surrounded by undercooked ideas and questionable casting choices. There's still some rewarding moments, but Pacino is basically fighting by himself to uphold the legacy of this classic American saga.
The worst of the three but still damn good.
Rated 25 Feb 2020
Some hammy stuff but very pretty. "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!" I found the opera and drama transparent, as if Coppola himself is trying to spoon feed us. I'm not falling for it.
Rated 01 Mar 2009
Coulda been a contender.
Rated 07 Jul 2008
Has 'did it for the money' written all over it. Considering the master class of the first two, the only thing I like about Part III is the line 'Everytime I try to get out, they pull me back in'.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Aside from one weak performance, it's actually a pretty good film.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
It pales in comparison to the first two, but it is still pretty good.
Rated 13 Jan 2011
The interesting thing was they had all most actors from about 20 years ago
Rated 15 Sep 2016
Boring. Long. Wasteful. Decently made. Watch the first two instead.
Rated 10 Sep 2009
People like to hate on this one. Yes Sofia Coppolas acting was horrendeous, yes Pacino did overact and yes the ending great. But Andy Garcia was amazing and the film was still great
Rated 24 Oct 2014
Personally I liked the third movie much more than the first two, which were absolutely awesome movies) for being more fast-paced and with better acting, since it was released 15+ years later! It also feats Andy f@#$%&@g Garcia!! A true masterpiece to end one of the greatest trilogies ever made!!
Rated 14 Sep 2014
I'd not even recommend it to those who have loved the first two.
Rated 12 Dec 2010
It lacks the polish of its predecessors, but it's not without some things worth seeing. It's a Gordon Willis movie, so the cinematography is so beautiful that it doesn't matter how dumb the story is that accompanies it. And the story's not extremely bad or anything, but the film's conclusion is so unsatisfactory that it's difficult to see why everything was building up to it.
Rated 16 Mar 2012
Could have been better. Sure, Al does a great job. It's the story that gets short shrift.
Rated 11 Feb 2024
It gets knocked because it’s not nearly as good as the first two, but three is still a good movie.
Rated 11 Sep 2011
Not nearly as good as its predecessors but still a solid and occasionally powerful sequel, "The Godfather: Part III" doesn't boost the most engaging of plots but it benefits from 16 years of build-up to deliver a decent conclusion to the saga. Although the screenplay and acting leave something to be desired, the film is never boring despite its length and the final half hour is undeniably suspenseful. Pacino is very good once again, even if his character isn't as fleshed-out this time.
Rated 23 Oct 2010
When someone like Great Coppola tells the story, you can't reject it with your own experience or opinions!
Rated 25 Jul 2007
By far the worst of the three, but not as bad as a friend of mine said it was. He said it was REALLY bad. He even suggested that he's have me "bounced" if I ever watched it.
Rated 12 Sep 2011
This should have never been made. People say you shouldn't compare this with the first two installments. Well fuck that, I'm going to. And Part 3 is quite the abortion when standing when to 1 & 2--it just doesn't have that magic that gave the first two the life and excitement I felt at the ending. And you better believe it, Sofia Coppola is an embarrassment. It's obvious that FF Coppola suffered without Puzo's marvelous novel. And (spoiler) showing Michael's death at the end is an atrocity.
Rated 06 Nov 2012
Rated 23 Dec 2008
Rated 18 Nov 2023
ilk iki filme göre bayağı alt seviye. ama seriyi bitirme misyonunu tamamlamış mı, tamamlamış. vincent'in ailede ipleri aldığı vakitten devam etmesini isterdim.
Rated 10 Mar 2020
79.4
Rated 23 Jul 2009
A let down, much of it because there is no Duvall here, and awful acting by Coppola.
Rated 06 May 2008
Not a bad flick, but cannot hold a candle to the first 2 Godfather movies.
Rated 12 Oct 2007
Godfather trilogy is one of the best movies ever made
Rated 11 Aug 2010
The Vatican Immobiliare plot stinks.
Rated 01 Oct 2010
great
Rated 17 May 2011
Obviously doesn't stand up to the legacy of the first two films, but there's still enough in here to hold interest, and it doesn't overstay its welcome. The frustrating part is the flaws were so easily correctable. Thank god Sophia decided to be a director instead of acting, yuck.
Rated 19 Aug 2012
It's slower and more wordy than its predecessors, but explores its world of intrigue and double-dealing very effectively. Not only that, but it also gives us an absorbing family drama, and the story of a man whose past evil deeds come back to bite him in the worst way possible.
Rated 09 Jan 2010
Sofia acts as a lightning rod here but the problems go beyond her. I actually think Garcia is worse, and the notion of him becoming a don is absurd. Moreover the plot is too ambitious without being compelling, who cares about a Vatican conspiracy compared to the vicious, petty wars of the first two? Coppola's insecurity is obvious with the flashbacks and ripping himself off with the climax. Really only worth watching for Pacino, Wallach and Silvio's favorite line ".. and they pull me back in!"
Rated 21 Apr 2007
When compared to the previous entries, it's still one of the biggest disappointments in cinematic history.
Rated 17 Jan 2017
Had a real hard time getting through this one--took me around 7 separate sessions spread across a week or two, all told. Liked the second half a lot more; it actually managed to go from "oof, this is pretty bad" to having some great, compelling scenes. Not a fan of the weird romance, but I have to say that the much-maligned Sofia Coppola really wasn't a bad casting decision in my view. Not sure about Bronson Pinchot as Vincent, though... Anyways, rating #500, woohoo! Uneven, but good.
Rated 13 Jun 2019
coppola's 2020 edit / this is infinitely a better film when it sticks to politics and pacino - even if andy garcia is still insufferable with his cartoonish fiery young gangster performance.
Rated 04 Jun 2012
Al Pacino gjør denne filmen alene.
Rated 21 Oct 2011
I know I'm beating a 20 year old dead horse, but it can't be stressed enough what a terrible performance Coppola gives. The rest of the film is pretty mediocre, though not bad. Mostly it suffers from there being no consistent tone and the film presupposing that we care about these characters. The score is grand in all the wrong places and the 30 minute finale is overblown. Andy Garcia's pretty good, and his contrast with Pacino holds the film, though there's not enough meat for the three hours.
Rated 11 Feb 2008
Yeah, this movie almost won the Academy Award in 1991. What were they smoking?
Rated 30 Apr 2014
What happened?
Rated 19 Sep 2018
Lightning rarely strikes twice. Here, Coppola not only attempts to make it strike a third time, but he does so a decade past his prime. The remarkable thing is, he comes pretty close! The film's composition doesn't quite match the perfection of the first two and although the point has been beaten to death, Sofia Coppola's performance is noticeably lacking. However, Pacino is still at the top of his game, the narrative is compelling, and the ending is an excellent conclusion to the trilogy.
Rated 30 Nov 2020
Viewed November 29, 2020.
Rated 02 Mar 2008
# 586
Rated 14 Apr 2022
Whether you like it or not, everything has an end. You can't make everyone happy. Oh wait, how did The Sopranos end?
Rated 20 Aug 2015
As Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) ages, he finds that being the head of the Corleone crime family isn't getting any easier. He wants his family out of the Mafia, but the mob kingpin (Eli Wallach) isn't eager to let one of the most powerful and wealthy families go legit. Making matters even worse is Michael's nephew, Vincent (Andy Garcia). Not only does Vincent want a piece of the Corleone family's criminal empire, but he also wants Michael's daughter, Mary (Sofia Coppola).
Rated 10 Oct 2009
Not as good as the first two, but still a good movie. Sometimes a bit drawn out and slow, but Pacino makes up for it.
Rated 07 Apr 2015
Feels like an echo of the first two parts. It didn't really add anything to the trilogy. Tom Hagen was sorely missed, and Michael Corleone was just not the same. The plot was pretty convoluted. The cinematography was good.
Rated 10 Dec 2011
In 1979,Michael Corleone is nearing 60 and wracked with guilt for his ruthless rise to power, including ordering the murder of his brother Fredo. By now, he has mostly retired from the Mafia, leaving the Corleone family's criminal interests in the hands of enforcer Joey Zasa, and is using his tremendous wealth and power to restore his reputation via numerous acts of charity. Michael and Kay have been divorced since 1959, and Michael gave her custody of their children, Anthony and Mary.
Talk about a film that didn't need to be made.
Rated 05 Jan 2013
Good plot, poor script; though parts are aping Scarface. The subtle and unspoken themes of the first two films are jettisoned in favor of characters spelling everything out for the audience. The new cast is dreadful and the old cast performed dreadfully. I don't blame Sofia Coppola as nobody was directed well here. Even the soundtrack added a sort of bluegrass feel that seems totally alien to this series. As Godfather canon it's good and recommended but on its own terms it is not recommended.
Rated 06 Apr 2009
Man, this added nothing to the Godfather story. NOTHING. Given the ending of Part II, this film had so much potential, yet evidently Coppola spent all his energy trying to promote his own daughter's acting career and with the time left over pulled some unsatisfying, forgettabe, completely over-the top story out of his ass. I guess by no means is it a horrible movie, but honest to god it should never have been made in this first place.
Rated 16 Jun 2015
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."
Rated 03 Sep 2010
Unnecessary but still entertaining final chapter of The Godfather. As an actress Sofia Coppola makes a good Director.
Rated 08 Jul 2014
Deeply flawed, but its numerous virtues override its flaws. There are at least 4 solid examples of truly masterful film making in it that most American directors wouldn't be able to pull off at the absolute peak of their powers, and Coppola was far from his peak here. Pacino is almost at his best in this film, bringing a mature world weariness to the role, and the finale at the opera is tense, gripping and brilliantly executed. Sofia's performance remains a sore point however.
Rated 27 Jun 2009
Makes me want to hit Sofia Coppola and Franc D'Ambrosio in the face...
Rated 04 Nov 2010
Doesn't quite equal the heights of the first two films due to a bad casting decision and an uneven middle portion. Still a fitting finale to one of the great trilogies in movie history.
Rated 18 Dec 2009
I'm not sure why I rated The Godfather: Part II so low, but I thought this third part was quite enjoyable. Certainly not as great as the first installment, but it still has a great character study of Michael Corleone, and some nice political intrigue.
Rated 05 Jul 2009
I try to jump out, but they pull me back... Andy Garcia playing an excelent new godfather
Rated 08 Apr 2014
It's easy to place the blame on Sofia Coppola, as she is shockingly bad, but there are far more problems here than one cast member. It's reminiscent of the Prequels in its bombastic melodrama and hamfisted exposition, though I think FFC has basically admitted to phoning this one in. It's another case of its prestige stemming from the first two letters of its name. Far worse than it should be, especially considering how fixable a lot of the issues are.