The Holdovers

2023
Comedy, Drama
Nobody likes teacher Paul Hunham (Giamatti) -- not his students, not his fellow faculty, not the headmaster, who all find his pomposity and rigidity exasperating. With no family and nowhere to go over Christmas holiday in 1970, Paul remains at school to supervise students unable to journey home.

Painfully honest and sentimental, the film strikes a delicate balance of melancholy and humor. It’s like a hug for those who could really, really use one.
Like The Nice Guys, I’m probably being too generous just because it’s so wonderful to watch a real movie again. Although these days The Nice Guys is recommended by everybody’s grandma so maybe I was right all along. But from the restrained opening credits, I knew I was falling in love. The Holdovers feels like the movie Payne was destined for; it’s richly slow, funny, endearing—showcasing the director’s subtle but effective style, this time tinged with 70s hallmarks, and top tier performances.
While a slow paced movie, very well done, and very emotional. Because I can remember the 70s, I really connected with the time frame, which made it even more emotional for me. The only disappointment I felt was that I felt it was missing an ending. I really expected/wanted a flash forward scene with Angus maybe in todays time period reflecting back on what that time meant to him. So, this felt like it just ended and left you sad.
Both Dommic Sessa and Paul Giamatti give outstanding performances in this film. The script is great, you really get to know the main characters. Overall I would highly recommend this film.
Very well-acted post-modern prep school dramedy. The script was was extremely entertaining throughout. Some beautiful winter photography of New England was a bonus.

Submitted bydjrossdjross on 24 Jul 2023