The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
The-Hunger-Games-The-Ballad
The-Hunger-Games-The-Ballad

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

2023
Coriolanus Snow mentors and develops feelings for the female District 12 tribute during the 10th Hunger Games (imdb.com).
Franchise: The Hunger Games
FlixFling

It's neither an engrossing tragedy nor a compelling character study, but instead a milquetoast romance set in a completely unrealized fantasy realm - and who has ever wanted to watch a young Hitler limply flirt (fault of the script, not of too-handsome Tom Blyth) with a manic pixie dream girl? The source material is its fundamental flaw; the filmmaking is fine, I guess.
Too glossy. The shiny cinematography baffled me. It is at odds with the mood the movie is trying for. Instead of inviting us in, it keeps us at arms length, safe in our seats as kids kill each other. Great character work could have brought me back but the script too is overly manicured, obsessed with hitting callbacks and “working” more than making sense. The actors are not able to elevate the material either, giving good (Dinklage, Davis, Rivera) to decent (Blyth) to bad (Zegler) performances.
Very good build up and middle act. The big problem is the weird third act. An unnecessary add-on if there ever was one.
Overlong and the final act features some odd decisions from the characters.
Insultingly bad in terms of character motivations. They're all caricatures of themselves, flanderization isn't meant to happen within the length of one movie. Speaking of length, it drags on a lot, especially during act 3, only to suddenly rush at the end, a dramatic shift of pacing which makes the resolution look even sillier than it should. It wasn't bad per se, the acting and cinematography were good, but I felt like I was watching a parody of the movie instead of the movie itself.

Submitted byjarobmuljarobmul on 01 Oct 2022