1990
Suspense/Thriller, Action
A new technologically-superior Soviet nuclear sub, the Red October, is heading for the U.S. coast under the command of Captain Marko Ramius (Connery). The American government thinks Ramius is planning to attack. A lone CIA analyst (Baldwin) has a different idea: he thinks Ramius is planning to defect, but he has only a few hours to find him and prove it-because the entire Russian naval and air commands are trying to find him, too. (Paramount Pictures)
Directed by:
Jack Ryan

1990
Suspense/Thriller, Action

Rated 25 Mar 2007
Only Sean Connery can play a Lithuanian and not bother hiding his Scottish accent.
Rated 22 Mar 2011
In an absolute anomoly for Hollywood, we have a film that's not only an intellectual feast, but broke bank at the box office. Even if you don't care much for John Mctiernan's style, this is a far cry from either Die Hard or Predator. Suspense is maintained throughout on the back of good writing and great acting. By the time the end credits roll, you won't even realise that there were almost no action scenes whatsoever.
Rated 13 Oct 2009
The awesomeness of this movie ushered in -nay- CAUSED the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Rated 04 Nov 2009
Red October, shtanding by
Rated 21 Sep 2010
For a movie where not a lot really happens it still manages to be somewhat entertaining. Of course Connery's accent is silly but if you went into this film hoping for an awesome Russian accent, you are silly as well.
Rated 14 Jan 2007
Too much fuss are made about this movie, which is true it hold a attention and it is little bit above average...What I don't like about this kind of movie is that effect that I only think at the end of it like some kind propaganda....
Rated 31 Mar 2007
A very enjoyable submarine film. Sean Connery is pretty great here.
Rated 16 Nov 2009
Probably the best cold war thriller with submarines. I don't even mind Russian captain with a Scottish accent.
Rated 10 Jan 2010
The guy Connery kills in the beginning is called Putin.
Rated 27 Apr 2010
Great, really great cast. But even they can't breath life into that 2D characters. It lacks any sense of suspense, claustrophobia one might expect from a submarine movie. There is a great scene in which a zoom in and a zoom out is all it takes for the language to change from Scottish-Russian (of Connery of course) to Scottish-English. Absolutely love the stupidity of it.
Rated 13 Jul 2020
Unless your script is written by the likes of Aaron Sorkin, making a talky Cold War thriller such as HfRO exciting is almost a fool's errand. Contains a nice scene or two but in the end, even the cool cast and the amazing McTiernan/de Bont behind the camera couldn't save this sub from sinkin' AAAA I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Rated 08 Feb 2007
The world's first Russian submarine captain from Edinburgh.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
A solid thriller. I'm not a huge fan of submarine movies, though.
A very good thriller. It's gripping and filled with tension.
Worth-to-see cold war thriller, add 10% if you like submarines and/or Sean Connery.
Good flick
Highly recommended for fans of Clancy, or just people who like suspenseful, intelligent war scenario dramas.
Rated 13 Sep 2007
Possibly the best political thriller ever made. Fantastic direction and performances. I love how it just drops you into its world and hopes you can keep up with the naval lingo, and I like that the story, for a Tom Clancy movie anyway, is fairly hopeful and non-jingoistic.
Rated 04 Feb 2008
This is a funny movie. And pathetic.
Rated 20 Jun 2008
Concise and quick witted cold war thriller with a very good Alec Baldwin and a fine supporting cast. Does the book justice.
Rated 22 Jul 2009
One of the better american sub films, if not the best.
Rated 04 Dec 2009
Sluggish adaptation of the novel. Set in 1984, "shortly before Gorbachev came to power", as the title puts it, the film seems outdated in a post-Cold War era. Even worse, it's way too long and fatally lacking in suspense.
Rated 28 Feb 2010
In technical terms this isn't a great movie by any stretch. None of the cinematography is really impressive nor anything else in terms of film making. However it is still a strong film due to the story and magnificent casting. Even the bit parts have good actors. There appears to be a lot of dislike for Connery's accent but he's speaking English. If you really find that someone speaking English with a Russian accent is somehow more realistic than just speaking English you're deluding yourself.
Rated 18 Nov 2010
Decent thriller with some quality actors. Nothing memorable.
Rated 07 Jan 2012
The Hunt for Red October is a very enjoyable film taking place in some of the least interesting sets imaginable. But the story is complex and well-told, the characters interesting, and the dramatic irony created is always satisfying. The effects used to create the outside shots of submarines underwater didn't look very great, and I wanted more from the supporting cast, but on the whole, this is a fun film and comes highly recommended.
Rated 08 Mar 2012
Halfway through, I kind of stopped caring about anything.
Rated 23 Sep 2012
Wow, I was engaged for the whole 2 hour plus duration. This movie is smart, well acted and never got boring. My favorite of the Jack Ryan films by far! Reminded me of 'Thirteen Days' in terms of being a smart thriller.
Rated 27 Feb 2015
This film is, ultimately, about plotty machinations and has very little to do with characterization, which makes it a bit easier to dismiss some of the Clancyisms about American exceptionalism, foreign policy, and xenophobia. This Cold War game of chess stuff is easy to lap up, especially with this sprawl of names acting it out, helmed by a director as sleek and efficient as McTiernan once was.
Rated 05 Jan 2007
Classic...
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Good stuff.
Rated 27 Feb 2007
Awful acting and an awful script, propped up by the great soundtrack by Basil Poledouris and the instant bonus in atmosphere you get when setting things in submarines. I can't imagine this not being dated even in 1990.
Rated 26 May 2007
Great movie, even better book. However I don't think Baldwin was a good pick for Ryan.
Rated 17 Jul 2007
What's all the hate with Connery talking English? What else do you expect? Didn't they notice the language change with the Armageddon quote? It's a decent and enjoyable film. Period.
Great one
You know what was really cool about this movie, the VHS was red instead of black. You know what sucked about this movie, basically everything else.
A well-managed and engrossing film that maintains a high level of intensity.
A classic thriller.
I would like this more if they wouldn't show it on TV every other week.
This is one of those roles that's just made by Connery. Great, great film made better by things like Courtney Vance's scenes, and the presence alone of James Earl Jones. I question the casting of Baldwin, however. It works, but... Harrison Ford's inclusion would have made this one of the greats.
Good story, good acting, but poor action.
A great adaptation of a great novel. Sean Connery and Sam Neill, two "real men" actors.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Good
Rated 22 Aug 2007
mroe summer popcorn movies
Rated 28 Aug 2007
Thrillers don't get much better than this.
Rated 17 Sep 2007
exciting at times
Rated 12 Oct 2007
the best of espionages
Rated 13 Oct 2007
"Down Down Deeper & down"
Rated 15 Nov 2007
Sean Connery is a British Russian with an English-speaking crew? Whoa.
Rated 16 Nov 2007
some good drama.
Rated 04 Jan 2008
Strong suspense packed thriller which will keep you guessing from beginning to end. Questionable casting of Connery if only because of the accent but he does deliver a convincing naval officer.
Rated 22 Jan 2008
The accents.
Rated 27 Jan 2008
good film
Rated 05 Feb 2008
Great with no explanation.
Rated 23 Feb 2008
The way the film transitions its Russians from speaking native tongue to English (for the film viewer's benefit) is extremely clever, & the only time I recall having ever seen it done that way.
Rated 30 Jun 2008
Love you Connery, hated a lot of the strange underwater 'action'. The chases underwater just don't have the suspense of Das Boot from more than 10 years earlier. Better than Grey Lady Down though! OMG! I've seen way too many submarine flicks!
Rated 17 Aug 2008
Hmmm, a Russian submarine Commander with a Scottish accent... You gotta watch out for those types, they'll sell ya sub from under you
Rated 16 Sep 2008
ruski kaputski
Rated 14 Oct 2008
This is a great movie that could easily have been overly political, but finds a drama that connects well with the audience.
Rated 27 Oct 2008
The game is afoot indeed.
Rated 09 Nov 2008
watch it, "you'll get the medal of lenin"
Rated 17 Nov 2008
Not a bad thriller, especially the all star cast give a nice performance. The story isn't half bad, although it's probably much more enjoyable if you're a cold war nut. The part that brings down the movie is the worst portrayal of Jack Ryan by far, kudos to Alec Baldwin for creating a clown from the most famous Clancy character, and the blatant american propaganda- ie. "I'd like to see Montana" (shpoken like a true comrade, yesh i have.)
Rated 20 Nov 2008
I'm not into suspense-thrillers as a general rule, but this is a movie I find accessible, easy to connect with, and extremely enjoyable. The cast is scary-good--unlike many movies with a large or ensemble cast, everyone in Red October did their acting jobs with vigor and enthusiasm.
Rated 18 Dec 2008
I was about 6 or 7 when I saw this, but it was pretty boring then.
Rated 30 Dec 2008
One ping only Vasily... One ping only.
Rated 09 Mar 2009
The film is largely boring to watch, it is interesting only in the final. But it is a film well done.
Rated 26 Mar 2009
Love sean Connery, loved this clancy novel, and loved the movie
Rated 12 Apr 2009
very smart and tense loved it
Rated 19 Apr 2009
Classic military & espionage suspense. I still don't understand how the director manages to build so much tension into some of the scenes in this film, without anything seeming contrived. The pacing is methodical, yet keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Rated 28 Apr 2009
Some really suspenseful scenes and a great performance by Connery
Rated 19 Jul 2009
I don't know why but I would watch parts of this every day after elementary school
Rated 27 Jul 2009
Absolute top-notch thriller with a brain.
Rated 28 Jul 2009
A guilty pleasure movie. Just enjoy it and don't try to figure out why the Russian sailors are taking orders from officers with English and Australian accents, who, in turn, are being ordered by a Scotsman.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
The only good Clancy movie, this is the one that did things right. It's one of those movies that suckers you in and makes you watch it, no matter how many times you've seen it.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Don't understand... PSI of 72!?!?!?
Rated 19 Aug 2009
Tom Clancy rising.
Rated 05 Oct 2009
Underwater submarine race-watching spectacular.
Rated 14 Dec 2009
Wait, which submarine got blown up??? Ha ha. "I would like to have seen Montana."
Rated 20 Dec 2009
spy shit on subs
Rated 01 Jan 2010
Robert Ludlum wishes he could get a political thriller this well-made.
Rated 03 Feb 2010
Sean Connery at his best.
Rated 06 Feb 2010
NEVER HAVE A SCOTTISH MAN PLAY A FREAKIN RUSSIAN SAILOR!!!!!!!!!! ONLY MAKE AMERICANS PLAY FOREIGNERS OR EUROPEAN PEOPLE PLAY AMERICANS, EXCEPT SEAN FUCKIN CONNERY
Rated 16 Mar 2010
A tense if ultimately unremarkable bit of suspenseful war drama. Nothing is particularly great, the acting is often stilted, the story has holes, the visuals are drab, it's all very dated, but nothing is particularly bad either. It keeps you engaged and gets the job done by keeping you guessing as to what exactly is going on.
Rated 27 Aug 2010
Way too young when I saw this to give it an accurate rating, but I'm rating everything I've seen.
Rated 30 Sep 2010
good movie but get's ridiculous at the end
Rated 19 Oct 2010
Connery and Neill feel miscast but do a fine job anyway. McTiernan builds a really nice tension which is only broken in the clumsy submarine combat scenes.
Rated 23 Jun 2011
Phenomenal! Watched again, and it holds up so well. Connery's performance was Oscar-worthy. The music is outstanding as is the rest of the all-star ensemble cast. Great adaptation of Tom Clancy's novel. It all comes together. What an achievement and so fun to watch.
Rated 01 Jul 2011
Excelente pelicula.. grana adaptación a la novela..
Rated 07 Aug 2011
I am generally not fond of war/battle/gun movies. Military submarine movies rarely find an exception for me. But then again, it is Clancy. It is a gripping & interesting story, delivered by an outstanding cast. Connery and Baldwin were as perfectly pitched as they could be, and the supporting cast is just loaded with uber-talented people; like Sam Neil, Tim Curry, Stellan Skarsgård, James Earl Jones, and Jeffrey Jones (no relation obviously, since JEJ is black and JJ is practically a ginger).
Rated 13 Dec 2011
Its a decent movie with good acting. It is slow at times, but has a good ending.
Rated 17 Dec 2011
Rated 19 Dec 2011
Fantastic
Rated 02 Jan 2012
Odd with the Russians changing from speaking Russian in the start among each other to English, I guess it's so that watchers don't have to read subtitles. It doesn't add to the immersion surely, and some of the visual aspects of the film are pretty poor. The shooting scene is not great, and anything shown outside of the submarines looks kind of terrible - notably the special effects. Some of this is due to limited technology probably, other times it could have been done differently.
Rated 21 Feb 2012
I tend to get sea sick so...
Rated 01 Mar 2012
Was 1990 the high point of movies using unrealistic gun sounds? That Beretta at the end had more balls to it than a Kalashnikov.
Rated 04 Mar 2012
The star of The Hunt is obviously the soundtrack, which lifts a rather uninspired story just above mediocrity. Despite its impressive cast, the actors fail to help the music in this.
Rated 04 Apr 2012
A cold war thriller that is played incredibly straight and on the nose and benefits a lot from that. In this one the Russians sort-of-aren't-quite the bad guys! Of course it would be a lesser film without Connery at the helm, but there's also a solid supporting cast. If you can buy into the Clancy boys own adventure stuff, you'll most likely enjoy it.
Rated 13 Apr 2012
Russian Sean Connery in a Nuke Sub. That doesn't sound like a good movie to you?
Rated 26 May 2012
Enjoyable but convoluted (and complicated) thriller, laying out an extraordinary amount of information to tell its fairly simple story. Works best when it shows the personality conflicts on the submarine (and on dry land); Neill is exceptional as Connery's right hand man, and Baldwin makes for an endearingly cocky hero, but Connery is never convincing as a Russian (not helped by the awkward conceit of subtitled Russian dialogue turning to English), though his gravitas is a welcome addition.
Rated 17 Jun 2012