2011
An idealistic staffer for a newbie presidential candidate gets a crash course on dirty politics during his stint on the campaign trail. Based on the play by Beau Willimon. (imdb)

2011

Rated 27 Oct 2011
This film does by no means attempt to establish life-altering values nor does it try to depict something you may not already know but as a fictional account on the shabby politics inherent in presidential campaigns, I found it to be engaging and confidently paced, its cast firing off snappy dialogue-driven exchanges. Hoffman, IMHO frighteningly good in every role he tackles, stands out here; He could sit in a couch and give an hour long monologue about potato chips and I'd watch that shit.
Rated 08 Oct 2011
I can respect Clooney and co trying to make an intelligent, unapologetically political film for an adult audience here, but there's major veracity issues. One, the implication that a presidential candidate in America could express a disbelief in god and continue to be a presidential candidate. Two, the notion that two rival campaign managers from the same political party having a conversation would be even remotely important enough to write a newspaper article about, let alone become a scandal.
Rated 30 Dec 2011
Decent - but it's no The West Wing. Steven's transformation from idealist to realist to cynic is jarringly abrupt and the all-too-neat cyclical plot twists ("oh, see how we got back to the starting line with roles slightly reversed and cynicism maxed out?") prevents this from becoming a classic. Still, it's decently acted, the behind the scenes campaign talks ring true and it of course panders to my bleeding heart socialist tendencies. Perfectly watchable.
Rated 11 Jan 2012
A borderline naive coming-of-age story. Clooney certainly means well (and Hoffmann and Giamatti certainly does well), but it never escapes being a rather stereotypical and overly dramatic inspection of the wraiths who keep politicians afloat. To inform the general public, 'The Ides of March' will do just fine, but it's never as clever or poignant as it thinks it is.
Rated 08 Dec 2011
It's impossible to view this film without being reminded of the disappointment that has followed Obama's election. Where the premise falls short is its simplicity, reducing the nastiness of politics to the fallout from sex scandals and working with people you don't like. Gosling is solid but his character's naivete and rapid subsequent turnaround fails to capture the reality of inertia and complex forces - not to mention the focus on the candidate being a moral rather than an ideological cipher.
Rated 13 Sep 2011
Accessible, perhaps overly so. I can't quite figure out what Clooney is playing at more, making a smart and slick film or trying to make the audience feel smart by always allowing them to be at least one step ahead. The impressive cast is fun to watch and the entertainment level is high up until the final act where the film loses some of its considerable steam.
Rated 09 Oct 2011
Ah yes, the seedy world of politiks. But anyway, there was a death in here that I actually was really bothered by. The actors all did a good job and it's kind of like a political Oceans 11 in the sense that it's a bunch of really good actors talkin' smart to one another. I can appreciate that. The political story was first and foremost, but it tackled issues like trust pretty well. I think it's a completely solid movie but I'm not wow'd by it or anything.
Rated 05 Nov 2011
A good demonstration of how screwed-up the political processes are right now. It is a story of "how people become jaded" and everybody played their part very well. Clooney squeezed here and there some good political messages too. It also shows how the political system is inherently rigged towards conservatism as superficial morality always rules over the subjects that really count. I hope someday, somewhere someone who does not compromise will win; that will be the day politics will change.
Rated 21 Jan 2012
Remarkably, a political George Clooney-thriller as tame as Gorgeous George's own deceased piggy. Great acting keeps the entertainment somewhat steaming though.
Rated 20 Jan 2017
A subtle, compelling performance from Ryan Gosling does not save the film from its stilted pacing or underwhelming storyline.
Rated 08 Oct 2011
A lot of build-up with no payoff. As soon as the movie looked like it might get interesting, it leveled off and simply ended. Character is idealistic, becomes victim of cynicism, movie ends. There's about 5 whole minutes of real conflict in the whole thing.
Rated 08 Oct 2011
This seemed more like a film for the actors to nail some performances, which they did. I had a small problem with the fact that a meeting between two political campaign workers from different camps would create such a large controversy. Overall, a pretty slick and evenly paced political "thriller".
Rated 20 Nov 2011
I liked the performances, and I liked the mise-en-scene which reflected the bleak and gray morality of the film. I kind of wish there was more to the film though, the ending just kind of petered out and left me unsatisfied.
Rated 24 Nov 2011
A by-the-numbers, broad look at politics. Decent performances, but the material's not exactly gripping, and the characters seemed more like caricatures.
Rated 24 Dec 2011
Clooney directs the greatest cast of the year with plenty of energy -- I love everyone here, from Gosling to Giamatti --, in a vibrant piece of political drama, not always rewarding in its moral issues -- there is this thrilling tone that leaves you entertained, but with little to discuss after viewing it --, but crafted with care and compromise.
Rated 27 May 2022
The worst kind of political movie, one that ignores thrilling "what ifs?" and focuses its attention on the realities of corrupted idealism in the political machine hiding behind the idyllic face of (insert candidate here). It's not like the American public is deluded enough to not know that their elected officials are just as morally deficient or selfishly motivated as the public, so I don't see a reason to dramatize all the shit we can see on the nightly news.
Rated 15 Jan 2012
As exciting as anything by Hitchcock! An impressive achievement when you consider that the subject of matter is something as boring as the democratic primary election.
Rated 17 Jan 2012
Well paced coming-of-age drama set in the world of American politics. Story is solid, characters and acting even more so. Transformation that Gosling's character goes through seems a bit fat fetched, but hey, I was rooting for him the same way I was rooting for that kid in Let The Right One In. Very solid middle-weight film, and way more entertaining than I expected it to be.
Rated 18 Jan 2012
Nice to see Gosling back in a role that exploits his special ability do be both naive and scheeming. Gosling is made for political movies. A great thriller with above acting from everybody, but the story has sadly been told too many times before. I don't understand, why all main characters in political movies seem to follow the same narrative arch. Try wathing Wag the Dog from '97 and Primary Colors from '98 if you don't believe me. Can't go in to more details without spoiling it for you.
Rated 02 Feb 2020
Solid Political Drama with a great cast. most of whom are on form here. Goes to darker places than I was expecting but still concludes a little predictably. There was a moment in the closing scene where I thought they were going to change it completely which would have been brilliant but they didn't. Still a good movie all the same.
Rated 18 Mar 2012
As solid a movie as we've come to expect from Clooney in the director's chair, and I really enjoyed the slow, realistic build towards the inevitable dramatic entanglements. Strangely enough the subsequent resolution is so anticlimactic and rushed that the the whole thing ends up little more profound than a "Power Corrupts!" bumper sticker.
Rated 12 Oct 2011
One of the best films to come out in a while. Gosling headlines a brilliant cast, each of them performing at the top of their game, and still manages to shine the brightest. As someone who was glued to CNN during the 2008 Presidential election (and likely will be for this incoming one), much of the exhaustive cynicism rings true. As a documentary, this would depress me, but because it's a drama, I'm left feeling satisfied from an excellently-told story. Good stuff.
Rated 12 Dec 2023
Prévisible, et Georges Clooney n'est pas la vedette du film. Tout repose sur le charisme de Ryan Gosling, la coqueluche du cinéma américain, et on comprend pourquoi ici. Il capte avec un jeu précis, plein d'émotions, et un charme magique. Tout le monde devrait aimer Ryan Gosling, je suis sérieux, il le mérite.
Rated 21 Feb 2016
The Ides of March was a solid disappointment. Hoffman and Giamatti gave good performances on interesting characters, but both take a backseat to Gosling who delivers a bland, thoroughly boring performance. The idea of a disillusioned campaign staffer turning to the "Dark Side" is an interesting one, but the change is too quick, and Gosling doesn't pull it off convincingly. Watch The West Wing instead.
Rated 05 Jul 2012
Despite the great performances, there are some overly-dramatized plot points that are meant to drive the film, but don't seem to be grounded in reality (which it intends to imitate, by citing and casting today's media figures). LIke user Ytadel wrote, the meeting between rival campaign managers wouldn't get a mention in today's 24/7 media. I'm already cynical about politics, but the message nevertheless fell completely flat on me.
Rated 15 Nov 2011
I wanted a lot more from this movie. It's not saying anything revolutionary. Everyone instinctively already knows these things. The political process corrupts, blah blah blah. The Ides of March is either the best made for TV movie of 2011, or the worst Oscar bait. I can't decide which.
Rated 03 Dec 2011
A well crafted, interesting, nicely paced film with good performances all around. Gosling's character transformation from optimistic go getter to pessimistic, humorless sellout is a thing of beauty. If you're like me and can't stand politics, don't worry there's enough backstabbing, betrayal, twists and turns to keep you entertained. If the plot was a bit stronger this could've been a masterpiece.
Rated 01 Apr 2020
Ah, the good old days when scripted politics was more interesting than real-life politics. Bit of a waste to stack the cast with that formidable foursome only for no fireworks between them.
Rated 10 Jan 2012
It's sort of decent, but never pops off the screen. Partly thanks to Gosling, whose character never comes alive and as such couldn't make me care about him. Hoffman and Giamatti are excellent, as always. The film would have benefited from a bigger focus on them.
Rated 20 Mar 2020
Seen: 2. A solid political drama with a great cast.
Rated 16 May 2016
To scoff at the dirt of electioneering is no great stretch of insight, but this man-in-the-machine thriller is well written, performed, and produced, and so unabashedly cynical that it becomes pretty exciting. Perhaps then it fails to elevate its aim above the same shallow schadenfreude pleasure centers in our brains that real world politicians and media love to target. Oh well, there's some fun to be had rolling around in the mud.
Rated 02 Feb 2012
Reasonably well crafted, but nothing too special.
Rated 10 Feb 2012
All the Gosling, none of the driving. This film uncovers the one true threat to America: hawt interns.
Rated 14 Apr 2012
A rather dull examination of the corruptive influence of power and politics, this tragic film offers a bleak vision of the political process, and one that likely rings true to a lot of people on the outside. And while the film is filled with excellent performers, it ultimately ends up as such a slight trifle that I wondered why I even bothered.
Rated 23 Feb 2012
George Clooney and Ryan Gosling engage in a handsome-off the likes of which has not been seen since Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant graced the screen together in The Philadelphia Story some 70-odd years ago. So who wins this battle of the symmetrical-faced lady-fuckers, you ask? I don't want to spoil anything, but the answer might just SHOCK you. (Hint: It's co-star Paul Giamatti, whose alluring hairless pate can no longer be ignored).
Rated 04 Mar 2012
Great performances and a gripping and well constructed script. My only complaint is that it felt too cynical. That's a little surprising coming from someone who's pretty cynical, and you have to expect it in a movie about politics, but something about the way it was handled seem off to me.
Rated 13 Sep 2017
Not the greatest visionary achievement, but a nice and slim drama.
Rated 07 Oct 2011
In a word, hyper-cynical. It's about a Democrat primary campaign. They talk down the Republicans to each other and then proceed to wallow in the muck. Oh Clooney gets his leftist idealitic jabs in there, but then the movie proceeds to show them as corrupt as they were calling the Republicans. It's a pretty pessimistic view, and given that it's about the Democrats, what'd you expect. The one part they really get right is about religion at the very beginning--spoken by Gosling then Clooney.
Rated 14 Aug 2012
A fairly smart drama with turns of a thriller, but with political campaigns as your setting, there's only so much you can do.
Rated 13 Oct 2011
"The film's confident, understated rhythm is appealing, but more than that, Clooney takes a big gamble by pitting another, more conventional movie against the observational one and seeing what happens." - Jaime N. Christley
Nothing happens, in the beginning you think it will, BUT THEN IT DOESN'T
Rated 16 Oct 2011
Couple things up-front. One, this is a slow build. If you don't like that, you're not gonna like this movie. Two, there's a lot of talking about politics. If you don't like (or at least can tolerate and comprehend) politics, well, you're not gonna like this movie. It's an all-star cast - headlined, in MY opinion, by a spectacular performance from Evan Rachel Wood. It's solid, it's more than solid actually, if unremarkable. I heard some grumbles over the ending; some felt it was flat. Debatable.
Too much propaganda =_=
Rated 12 Jan 2013
Very enjoyable film that, thanks to numerous twists and strong performances, keeps you entertained throughout.
Rated 29 Oct 2011
"The Ides of March" is a modestly crafted, superbly acted, cunningly smart and crisply entertaining political thriller. Although the first half feels dry and unexciting, the pace soon picks up as some plot twists kick start the actual plot. Clooney's direction is assured, the intelligently structured script is laced with piercing irony and an impressive cast delivers a set of fine performances, with Gosling, Clooney and Hoffman being the stand-outs.
Rated 01 Nov 2011
There are some plot points here that you can see coming a mile away, and it doesn't say as much as Clooney seems to think it does, but this is still a very interesting look into the world of presidential campaigns. An actor's movie more than anything else - Hoffman, Giamatti, Gosling, Tomei, and Clooney himself were all excellent - with a good tone and very nice use of lighting. I can see it being nominated for a fair few Oscars but not winning much.
Rated 01 Nov 2011
This movie provided me with little entertainment, and that is only thanks to the fact that the basic background of the movie is a matter that interests me - politics in USA. Other than that, the movie had nothing that made it entertaining.
Rated 02 Nov 2014
Decent acting, decent directing, decent film. Show you how useless politics are.
Rated 23 Nov 2011
I don't know why I love dry, political drama so much, but I do.
Rated 02 Dec 2011
"your my best friend Ida"
Rated 02 Dec 2011
Very solid. Great cast and I think Clooney is a competent director. Good for him.
Rated 14 Oct 2014
The Ides of March is an interesting political drama but I wanted and expected so much more from it. The screenplay is easy on the ears and George Clooney's overall direction is impressive as always. But it just doesn't quite pack the punch I anticipated and I was left a little underwhelmed. However the films saving grace is the stellar array of acting talents with Ryan Gosling, George Clooney, Phillip Seymour Hoffman & Paul Giamatti all giving strong, interesting and engaging performances.
Rated 30 Nov 2012
Despite across-the-board bravura performances (especially by Philip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti as dueling campaign managers), The Ides of March somehow remains static and lifeless, like a civics-class diorama.
Rated 26 Feb 2017
Bra film om maktkamper, som lika gärna kunde ha varit en maffiafilm eller ett krönikedrama (om den hade varit mer våldsam). Mitt främsta bekymmer är väl egentligen att politik faktiskt är något mer än maktbegär och att den här typen av ständigt återkommande reduktionism föder cynism och lättja hos den som ser den. Detta gör att det saknas ett lyft som skulle ha gjort en god film till en riktigt bra film.
Rated 04 Dec 2011
An expertly crafted film which, while intelligent, is pared-down enough for the viewer to follow the constantly shifting moral choices of the protagonists - in a way I preferred this script to one of Sorkin's. The great cast is all on good form, with Gosling capturing selling out to devastating effect.
Rated 04 Dec 2011
its a solid movie with a great cast, however the script is very shallow for American politics (having watched West Wing), the story goes so flat and slow for almost 70 minutes that you need to wait for the rest to see some real politics... wonderful soundtrack contributing to 80% of the movie`s performance in general
Rated 06 Dec 2011
Fantastic performances all around, but, in the end, I wasn't done watching. Something was lacking when the credits rolled to make this rise above an adapt political drama, but what was there was completely enjoyable. Plenty of, "oh shit," moments mixed in with a very mature and succinct narrative.
Rated 07 Dec 2011
Good film
Rated 12 Oct 2014
The art for this film represents one of the cleverest uses of two typical American Caucasian male faces I can recall. The plot is a L'Alpe D'uez of switchbacks, the dialog sharp, as in Redford's similar, The Candidate.
Rated 24 Nov 2012
Although I am not a fan of this type of movies, I can say it is quite enjoyable. Ryan Gosling is probably the young edition of George Clooney, and there is a lot of chemistry between the two. The cast in general is good, the story is decent and there are no flaws in it.
Rated 05 Jun 2012
Exactly what motivated George Clooney to make this political drama (based on an apparently unremarkable play) is unclear; it feels pretty familiar (certainly it breaks no new ground), especially to anyone who's seen PRIMARY COLORS, while a major revelation halfway through is a bit of a groaner. Still, it's very well made for what it is, with strong performances from Ryan Gosling, Clooney, Paul Giamatti, and Philip Seymour Hoffman, solid directing, and a good measure of suspense in the third act.
Rated 13 Dec 2011
Decent story, good acting. While the setting is tense the whole time, not a single feature of the film is special or original. I did like the concept - and execution - of how someone enters politics full of ideals and becomes ever more bitter and cynical... but it has all been done before. The film was not a waste of time, but may have been a waste of resources and talent - I'd expect more of Clooney, Desplat etc.
Rated 16 Dec 2011
Great (political) movie, almost scary how Clooney and Gosling perform. I wonder if Clooney really tried for presidency how far he would come. Also the movie title is brilliant, google it AFTER you have watched this.
Rated 24 Dec 2011
Quite good political drama. Recently, R.Gosling just can't be in bad movie and I hope he will stay on that way.
Rated 03 Sep 2014
To call The Ides of March a "very good" movie is not really doing it justice. I can't really think of any negatives when it comes to watching it. The only people I can see being turned off it are people who hate hearing about politics, but the film plays to those kinds of people anyway given its criticism of the system. This is a smart movie with an intelligent screenplay, precise editing, great acting and with a purposefully provided point. Give it a watch.
Rated 13 Jan 2013
Decent, if a bit predictable and slow moving, drama about the ugliness of politics.
Rated 05 Jun 2012
Directed by George Clooney, written by George Clooney and sort of starring George Clooney... this is Clooney's very own pet project. I felt like once good ol' George got to air out his own grievances in the American Political system and he got to offer his own questionable suggestions and was able to move on with the story, this movie finally got really good. Gosling, Hoffman, Giamatti and Wood were the real star power in this. Great political drama, I wanted even more at the end. Good film.
Rated 27 Dec 2011
This is a really well made film. Ryan Gosling is outstanding in the lead role. Also the rest of the cast is great, everyone from Paul Giamatti to Evan Rachel Wood. George Clooney has made an outstanding film and he should clearly keep directing movies.
Rated 31 Dec 2011
Once again a pretty poor play adaptation... Either you yawn through the whole movie or you sit back, frustrated by the fact that so many things just happen without any reason what so ever! Gosling is flat and Clooney is hardly in it, but Giamatti is solid as always...
Rated 02 Jan 2012
i like it.
Rated 16 Jan 2012
A fantastic political story that feels like its been done before. But that's ok because the cast is spectacular and its enjoyable to watch them do their thing. I didn't like how it ended.
Rated 19 Jan 2012
At the outset it seems like a story concerning idealism versus pragmatism in politics. Ultimately the idealistic campaign manager turns cynical, but it's difficult to buy the impetus for the shift in mentality. The message it imparts is still valid: an individual cannot encapsulate an ideal, so best not put people on pedestals.
Rated 27 May 2012
Another surprisingly good tour from Gosling and Clooney being awesome as ever. The movie is fairly deliberate in its pacing but the buildup and the ending are fantastic and its awesome watching these two play off of each other.
Rated 23 Jan 2012
Well paced and well executed, everything seems to flow rather well. Plotline, acting, tension all build with characterization through out the film. A good political thriller for sure.
Rated 25 Jan 2012
Just about everyone turns in solid performances an it is a quality film but it really feels like the film itself thinks it is great, but just misses actually being so.
Rated 25 Jan 2012
A solid political thriller that's uplifted by a stable of quality actors and some nice direction. While certain parts of the story seem a conveniently placed and certain actions seem out of character it's never enough to take you out of the movie. Great pacing makes it easily watchable and worth the time.
Rated 28 Jan 2012
Bon: Utilisation intéressante du thème de la politique, des belles performances de tout le monde Moins bon: Histoire qui démarre trop lentement, conclusion facile
Rated 01 Dec 2013
I don't usually find politics very interesting, but there are certainly films and TV shows that make it amazing. This isn't quite one of them, but it was pretty solid. I really don't have much to critique about it. All of the performances were good. It might have been better in the hands of a different director and writer, but as it is, everything is totally competent.
Rated 21 Apr 2012
It's hard to make a truly thrilling political drama, but Clooney comes close. Gosling's better as a less normal man.
Rated 01 Feb 2012
Clooeny's fourth foray into the directors' chair marks his strongest effort yet with The Ides of March, a political thriller about the devolution of the American political system and, more importantly, the people who work in it. Despite some really interesting concepts, the script and direction never really bring these ideas into full form and the cast in general provides an awful conduit to transmit these ideas through.
Rated 07 Feb 2012
I don't mind the cynicism. I'm a bit of a cynic myself. The film just does not hold much weight or gravity. A pleasant watch but nothing more.
Rated 08 Feb 2012
Slow, boring story, predictable twists, cliche ending.
Rated 11 Oct 2013
I like Ryan Gosling, but he really doesn't seem to act. His character is basically the same in every film he's in. The movie itself is mediocre to alright.
Rated 24 Sep 2012
An unsuspenseful thriller directed by mister charming himself. It does what it needs to do without overstaying its welcome. Ryan Gosling does by-the-book acting but not any worse than Clooney. Just go along for the ride and try to enjoy it while you can. There are certainly much worse low-brow thrillers out there.
Rated 19 Feb 2012
Maybe I spend too much time reading blogs, but any random post on Politico or the Daily Dish contains more political drama than this limp, poorly written, partisan potboiler. Also it would be a shame if Ryan Gosling allowed his acting style to calcify into nothing more than a blank stare and a rigid smile.
Rated 20 Feb 2012
Great acting with a stellar cast, but lacking a real intriguing story. Your typical political thriller.
Rated 27 Feb 2012
Maybe it's just me, but I like my political films to have a little bit of bite to them. And that is what is sadly missing from this film. It's all a little too neat and the story just doesn't suck you in the way a good political drama should. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti are great as usual, but the other actors are pretty blah and seem to be just going through the motions. Maybe this is what Clooney was looking for, but it makes for a rather ho hum film.
Rated 19 Jun 2019
Seçim oyunları. Ryan Gosling'in başrolünde oynadığı Philip Seymour Hoffman'ı özleyip izlediğimiz bir politik seçim kampanyası filmi. Ohio valisini başkan yapmaya çalışan demokratlar ile cumhuriyetçiler arasında sıkı rekabet. Her türlü kanunsuzluk da filme eklenmiş. Satılık medya, saçma provokasyonlar ve çarpık ilişkiler ilgi çektiriyor. Filmin sonunda 2 seçim çalışanı arasındaki hırs savaşı kazananı belirliyor. Herşey çok güzel olacak.
Rated 24 Sep 2013
high average
Rated 22 Sep 2012
Rotiart is traitor spelled backwards.
Rated 04 Mar 2012
Slick, tawdry flick, barely competently made. Still, it's rather fun for political geeks, and Philip Seymour Hoffman is his usual wonderful. Ryan Gosling could use an elocution class or two... he manages to be rather likable with no apparent acting craft whatsoever.
Rated 10 Mar 2012
I expected a bit more from this film with a cast like this, but the film is certainly watchable. Too many people seem to have focused on the politics, while I didn't find it to be that heavy. It ends up being a nice depiction of how I'd imagine the inner workings of campaign management would work. I thought the acting would be stronger, but PSH shows he can shine in even a limited role. Not quite as strong as Clooney's other directorial efforts, but I don't regret seeing it.
Rated 11 Mar 2012
I somehow feel compelled to use the phrase "taut political thriller" in my review. Anyway, very engaging and well-paced with impressive performances all around. That I wasn't annoyed by Paul Giamatti speaks volumes.
Rated 17 Jun 2013
Have I ever mentioned how much I love Ryan Gosling's work and George Clooney's politics? No? I love both and if you do too. Watch this.
Rated 14 Aug 2012
A well-acted and well-directed political drama. The plot about idealism versus Machiavellianism is not exactly ground-braking, but interesting and involving.
Rated 21 Nov 2016
just an alright movie and a slight waste of two big stars
Rated 04 Apr 2012
Gosling and Clooney, two people who's charm could win over the virgin Mary in the same movie. Couldn't have been bad right? It wasn't.
Rated 05 Apr 2012
Don't believe the hype.
Rated 06 Apr 2012
The cast are the main attraction here. Watching Giamatti, PSH and Clooney, three of my favourite actors all perform was an absolute treat. I was close to a total mangasm! Gosling leads the film well, and Clooney again proves himself to be a slick, compact and efficient director. He wisely largely focuses on politics itself rather than party ideology. It's smart, pessimistic, & well written, but this movies limitations are summed up nicely by overrated in their review.
Rated 07 Apr 2012
Clooney's finest film to date. Had my blood pressure skyrocketing the entire way.