The Last of the Mohicans

1992
Romance
Action

Rated 07 Dec 2020
This was very decent, although I might have been lured in by the capable direction which possibly compensates for what feels like a watered-down script. Anyway, it rips along at a fair old pace, and is tense and exciting in the right places. Maurice Roëves passed away earlier this year; always an interesting character actor.
Rated 10 Jun 2019
I think I've finally come to terms with my love for 90s epics. This has problems, namely its third act, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it. Watching this as a kid in the mid-90s I thought it was ‘cool', and, with a significant amount of film-watching experience under my belt, I am amazed by Mann's technical prowess. A shirtless Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeline Stowe at her Stowe-iest, and Wes Studi glaring hard enough to break a camera lens.
Rated 08 Feb 2008
Most certainly it has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard and is certainly worth mentioning. Combine that with Daniel Day-Lewis, who is never anything short of pure perfect in every film he's in, and Michael Mann, an incredibly capable director, and you have a brilliant film. Yes, it does have a few "Hollywood" moments but I found that they only slightly detracted from the film, nowhere near enough to make much of an impact. Excellent film.
Rated 04 Jun 2008
The script is awful and as much as I wanted to love this - I couldn't. It is just boring as hell. The Hollywoodness of it is deplorable but the scenery is nicely shot and that gets a lot of its points.
Rated 12 Feb 2010
Finally a film where native Americans are totally badass instead of beleaguered victims. This is historically light in a lot of areas and there is a bit of "noble-savage" myth making going on but it's still a beautifully shot entertaining film. The music is also some of the best that i've heard in a period film like this. Daniel Day-Lewis is great as always.
Rated 23 Jan 2013
OLD TIMEY war was soooooooooooooooooo gay.
You know how there are some films that you have absolutely no concept of how it is objectively because it hits you in a nostalic/emotional/visceral place for reasons having nothing to do with it's quality? This is one of those films for me. I have no idea if it's actually GOOD or not (and I suspect possibly not) but I adore it just the same. Daniel Day-Lewis' jump through the waterfall, the lushly romantic score, Jodhi May's face in her climactic last scene ...love. Pure love.
Rated 30 Jul 2019
One of my ultimate comfort movies. This film hugs me like a warm blanket woven from Daniel Day-Lewis' romance novel hair. The soundtrack lulls me into a dreamy security, like a night sleeping under the stars, with only the delicate cackling sound of embers of the fire to be heard, their warm, dancing lights illuminating the hand as it lightly caresses up the inner part of my thigUM the acting is underrated actually.
Rated 01 Aug 2008
The soundtrack and transcription of the music is spellbinding. I could fall asleep even hearing a short piece of it. Double that time two with Daniel Day-Lewis who is one of the most superb actors of our generation and you have this magnificent endeavor.
Rated 24 Jul 2020
Someone should make a video essay about Mann's use of long lenses, because his close-up shots are a thing of beauty. This combined with some compelling character interaction - Pacino/De Niro's coffee shop scene in Heat being the highlight of his career - always makes for indelible cinema. The story wasn't exactly up my alley but his sense of rhythm is just masterful, making the aforementioned, the film's exciting set pieces and its iconic music theme all work together in almost perfect harmony.
Rated 03 May 2012
When the youngest of the Mohicans decides he's going to go after the woman he loves, he places a hand on his father's shoulder and gives him a look. No words are spoken but there is understanding between them. Most movies can't pull that scene off. This one does.
Rated 13 Mar 2013
The story is well worn, every complication exists for a resolution to present itself, the romance is thin and telegraphed from the start, and to top it off every critical scene has overt musical emotional cues. But I still liked it because it at least does those things very well, the cinematography is splendid and the pacing rather brisk. Leaves too much unexplored, but if you can shut that out it's an enjoyable film.
Rated 30 Jul 2014
The Last of the Mohicans is without doubt one of Michael Mann's best all round pieces of filmmaking and it features one of my favourite Daniel Day Lewis performances. There are several undeniable 'Hollywood' moments and the screenplay is by no means spectacular. The film is heavily reliant on Daniel Day Lewis' spectacular performance. But with the addition of an equally stunning score by Trevor Jones & Randy Edelman, this film is incredibly and beautifully engaging. A very pleasing experience.
Rated 31 Oct 2019
Cold and uninvolving action movie cum dubious historical drama collapses in the gales of romantic melodrama once the (not especially convincing) romance between Day-Lewis and Stowe is moved to the front burner; visually stunning to look at, with beautiful scenery photographed in dreamy sepia tones, but a muddled, confusing narrative, and lack of chemistry between the characters, sink it.
Rated 23 May 2015
as ever, mann lets the writing sketch out the themes so the filmmaking can do the heavy lifting. the surrender sequence initiated a third act of such stomping, stirring action movie bliss, and what initially seem like unimaginative ciphers increasingly carry the weight of mythical archetypes under mann's gaze, while the pretty landscape cinematography and thoughtful action choreography coalesce into an emotionally charged visualisation of cultural tension and upheaval, a world on the precipice.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
Fantastic. Love action films set back before 1800. Love this time period. Loved the soundtrack for this film as well. It all came together perfectly. Daniel Day-Lewis was fantastic, but I loved the indian actors a lot in this movie as well, whoever they were.
Rated 04 Jun 2007
Interesting and well directed, but excessively "Hollywood" in places; for instance, when he's wielding a musket in each hand and firing from the hip, but somehow taking down the bad guys with remarkable precision.
I dig this movie. The action sequences are cool, and a guy gets his heart ripped from his chest and eaten. Awesome.
Rated 19 Oct 2007
The soundtrack alone would deserve a 90. The movie is AWESOME in just about every way.
Rated 08 Jan 2008
I must admit, I don't remember much of it, but I do remember it was bad.
Rated 23 Mar 2008
Best. Soundtrack. Ever. And a heck of an acting job and storyline too. Compelling, edge-of-your-seat action, and kick-butt cinematography.
Rated 13 Aug 2008
An exceptional film in nearly every sense. If Michael Mann (Miami Vice) is remembered for nothing else he did on film, he should be remembered for this, the first major cinema production to have actual Native Americans in every Indian role. The extraordinary performances of Russell Means and Wes Studi essentially make this film acting wise, and the combination of exceptional musical score, brilliant photography and solid writing and editing make this deserving of the oscars it received.
Rated 29 Sep 2008
A lovely yet forlorn depiction of early war-torn America, between the native Indians and English colonists. Daniel Day-Lewis is his usual self, portraying an adopted white son to an Indian; his performance ranges from subtle kindness to fever-pitch outrage. Overall, Michael Mann directs with precision, and his fast-paced editing and use of cinematography adds richness to the romantic love story. But, the center of the film is also the crux problem, degrading into a fruitless soap-opera ending.
Rated 26 Apr 2018
the main hook was that the main guy wanted to bang this girl, but she kept getting in danger. but she didn't really seem all that cool or special, so I couldn't get invested. the villain had a much deeper and more engaging motivation.
Rated 14 Apr 2010
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO BORING!!! Good music and camera work do NOT make a good movie!!
Rated 27 Apr 2010
I don't understand why this is so acclaimed. It's pretty... and pretty dull. The last time I tried to rewatch it I kept cracking up remembering that skit on The Ben Stiller show where he's doing Day-Lewis in this in an advertisement for a treadmill and running endlessly.
Rated 20 Apr 2024
Awesome awesome movie.
Rated 01 Jan 2012
Daniel Day-Lewis is strong as always and I do like Michael Mann. This feels like a grand sweeping epic that doesn't have to be 3 hours long.
Rated 10 Oct 2012
Why don't they make movies like this anymore?
Rated 16 Dec 2012
Great soundtrack and really captures the time period well. Very Hollywood with a weak script, but Day-Lewis is a hell of an actor and manages to make something of it.
Rated 22 Dec 2012
I got mad respect for what Mann pulled off here. Does a great job marrying a more epic action/war flick to a lightweight if involving human drama. The two-hour runtime blinked by in a flash. Day-Lewis's performance isn't quite a masterpiece on the level of some of his 21st century work, but he still makes for a great grizzled handsome badass long-haired 18th-century warrior-type. Best part: Some dudes in a canoe totally just canoe right down a waterfall and keep on going. Like a boss.
Rated 29 Nov 2013
In a lot of ways, this is just a combination of two of Hollywood's favorite (and overused) stories: the reluctant but infallible warrior, and the white guy as the ultimate example of (insert oppressed group here). However, this rises above the average for a couple of reasons. A) it was one of the earlier uses of the plots (both in terms of the movie and the original book), and B) Daniel Day-Lewis is fantastic and utterly believable.
Rated 22 Feb 2007
Very good.
Rated 27 Feb 2007
I will find you! I could still go for watching this movie every now and again.
Rated 26 May 2007
Not bad.
Rated 23 Jun 2007
A personal fav. The ending is one of the most stirring and powerful experiences a movie can offer.
Rated 02 Jan 2021
One of my all times favourite film. There is a colonial war in America between the British and the French, both helped by various Indian tribes. Hawkeye is a European adopted by the Indians who, along with his tribe, helps the British. In the meantime he falls in love with the daughter of the chief officer.
Good Indian/bad Indian, stuffy British generals, running. Where are the motorboats, Michael Mann?
For some reason, I really like this movie.
Rated 22 Aug 2007
Good
Rated 16 Sep 2007
MIldly flawed, but still one hell of a picture.
Rated 23 Sep 2007
Wonderful scenery, good cinematics.
Rated 16 Nov 2007
really bad script and poor performances. but beautifully shot!
Rated 25 Feb 2008
gerat movie by one of my favourite directors with great cinematography (dante spinotti) and a great score.
Rated 05 Mar 2008
Actually a good score and film. It was a bit pathetic but much better than I remembered.
Rated 11 Mar 2008
Long, but awesome! A truly classic epic.
Rated 18 May 2008
Overall it wasn't good, but I thought Daniel Day-Lewis did a respectable job in any case. That song that everybody remembers from the score is a classic.
Rated 24 Jun 2008
The ending with that music and the final fight was so awesome.
Rated 21 Jul 2008
Mr. Day-Lewis is wasted talent in this. He doesn't get a chance to act.
Rated 09 Jul 2021
R - Good overall but, in somewhat typical Mann fashion, heavily over-stylised at times. The battle scenes are really well done, and it has an old-fashioned (for then, even more so now) epic feel at times. Liked the book when I read it a very long time ago, and this certainly does it justice.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Another great Day-Lewis performance. I loved the story and chemistry between the actors.
Rated 07 Nov 2008
Sweeping Romantic/Adventure flick that is sure to sweep you away...Moving story and matching performances. Thumbs up!
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Excellent musical score in this cinematographically very pleasing film, including a song I've loved all my life but never knew came from this film. Michael Mann brought me along with him to the North American scenery in a convincing way, and Daniel Day-Lewis set down a great performance as usual.
Rated 26 Jan 2009
Perfect movie!
Rated 17 Apr 2009
One of the best movie sound-tracks ever. This is early DDL for those that didn't know and the acting is excellent!
Rated 15 Jul 2009
Another Michael Mann classic. The romance drags a bit but nobody who has ever seen the last thirty minutes of the movie will ever forget them.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Really good film.
Rated 18 Aug 2009
Very rarely does a movie do literature well, this one did. Great score too.
Rated 30 Aug 2009
100 -- for the ending scene. for when he dies trying to save Alice.
Rated 12 Oct 2009
The last 15 minutes or so rates a 100.
Rated 08 Nov 2009
Watched it a long time ago, but remember it was a good story plus it had one of my favourite soundtracks.
Rated 05 Aug 2020
Revenge begets more revenge in this strong war epic. Some of the character decision making didn't add up, and some of the formality of the time period kept me at a distance. But this is a likable, powerful movie with plenty going for it.
Rated 13 Apr 2018
Guilty pleasure
Rated 02 Jan 2010
The seige and the ambush are the only redeeming qualities of this film.
Rated 16 Feb 2010
love the score
Rated 09 May 2010
Allow me to throw up several times during this film! The patriot meets classical music and Pocahontas, fucking in the woods. If it hadn't been for slick acting at times, and some mean cinematographical skills, this would be wrapped in cheese! (as in: cheasy as hell ... needless to point that out? Oh well.)
Rated 17 Feb 2018
Intermittently gory, and bogged with a robotic approximation of romance. Fans of the era will appreciate its expensive costume and set pieces, while fans of Day-Lewis' recent work will be horrified by how rough his talents were in '92.
Rated 01 Sep 2010
#10#, liked, story, oldies(3) }*{ #90s(e/m)#, story.
Rated 24 Sep 2010
Good movie, lots of good plot action. Cool story. Heart-wrenching at the end.
Rated 15 Nov 2010
It was nice to rewatch it after so many years. One of favorite books from childhood.
Rated 26 Nov 2010
The fine eye of director Michael Mann shows, and we get a well paced, stylized movie. Tho the story is mostly exactly copied from the novel, and the movie we get to see is more than an hour shorter than the original cut, it is still a fine movie, for what it is. Too bad we cant see the original three and half hour cut!
Rated 15 Jan 2011
"The Last Of The Mohicans", although a bit too slow in the beginning, is a mesmerizing adventure, blessed with an excellent score by Randy Edelman and Trevor Jones, a fine cast, lots of well-directed action, one of the most genuinely romantic scenes in cinematic history ("What are you looking at, sir?" "I'm looking at you, Miss") and, above all, one of the most moving final sequences ever. A masterpiece.
Rated 01 Mar 2021
Quite disappointed to be honest. The music is great and it features some decent cinematography, but I just found this pretty average: The dialogue is bad, the romance is cliche and pretty awful, I found the action sequences underwhelming and I thought Daniel Day-Lewis was so bland and dull, not just him though, I found most of the cast bland and dull also. It isn't a terrible film or anything just pretty dull, unfortunately.
Rated 03 Dec 2017
Very well-made, uncritical leatherstocking tale
Rated 05 Aug 2011
DDLewis is overrated, as is this movie
Rated 09 Sep 2011
So painful to sit through, DDL is good though.
Rated 16 Oct 2011
"The Last of the Mohicans" is a suitably bloated and crowd-pleasing piece of easily digestible Hollywood entartainment -but Mann brings so much gritty authenticity and gorgeous visuals to it, that it transcends being just that. DDL reaffirms his versitility, the score is sweeping and the actions scenes beautifully choreopgraphed -in fact, those qualities are so overwhelming that, for the most part, I forgot that what I was consuming was a tiny morsel of corn enveloped in a big, shinny wrapping.
Rated 19 Oct 2011
it just wasn't his DAY
Rated 26 Oct 2011
Rated 26 Jan 2024
Deftly made, every performance is great and most characters are fleshed out. Little more to ask for, except perhaps a less trodden story.
Rated 20 Sep 2017
I when I think of an epic, this is one of the movies that comes to mind.
Rated 19 Mar 2012
This one is commonly called 'The Last of the Monaghans' by people I know ... of course it is.
Rated 17 Apr 2012
Usually when a book adaptation has changes made to it, they're pretty understandable. Generally, directors choose to "update" classic literature so that it's more exciting and more accessible and more understandable to modern audiences. But in this case, I have no idea what they were going for. They cast aside the most exciting action of the book, leaving almost nothing intact, and instead chose to focus on boring, pointless political discussions and really forced romance. It's just no fun.
Rated 21 Apr 2012
4+ worth experiencing
Rated 05 Aug 2012
Very uninsteresting story telling with most uncharismatic hero ever. The cast were so bad that I didn't care who will die next. And during the whole movie the same backround music was on making me loosing my senses. Some good fighting scenes in beautiful enverionment, but that's it.
Rated 27 Mar 2023
kizilderililer, yabani medeniyet yoksunu ilkel inançlilar iken İngilizler fransizlar eğitiyor medeniyet getiriyor, sömürü demeyelim de ticaret öğretiyor. eğitilmiş Kızılderili iyidir eğitimsizi kötü. açgözlü İngilizler fransizlar iyi kötü olmaktan bağımsız sorgusuz sualsiz dünyanın sahibidir.
Rated 06 Oct 2019
Pathetic, cringeworthy, idiotic, poorly directed, historically more than inaccurate, boring. It's like it was written by a 16 year old and directed by an idiot.
Rated 08 Jan 2013
cok iyi
Rated 15 Feb 2013
Rated 14 May 2020
Except for the ending, which is a bit lame, this is a major leap forward in film artistry at the time of its making (1992). MY SCORING: 99-96=Great; 95-90=Very good; 89-85=Good; 84-80=So-so; 79-70=Boring; Below 70=Forget it
Rated 26 Jun 2022
1757-englandVfrance+hardtopayattention+ididntevennoticehowtheirromancehappenedlol
Rated 25 Aug 2013
This movies is in general overrated. It shows pretty much nothing special, it is enjoyable, but sometimes hard to believeable.
Rated 10 Feb 2014
The last scene of the movie was great,just for that
Rated 12 Nov 2014
Contrived and a bit rubbish but admirable in it's earnest attempt to execute a grand romantic tragedy with real human heart and pathos. The whole love story feels underdeveloped but it's not really the point anyway. The final sequence is at once cheesy and an affirmation of pure cinema.
Rated 03 Nov 2022
Ridiculous 90s fluff
Rated 13 Jun 2015
It's held back by trite Hollywood-isms (notably the uninteresting and tired love triangle), but there's enough scenic and musical beauty and competent direction to make 'The Last of the Mohicans' worth viewing.
Rated 02 Jan 2016
The final scene was great, especially loved the music for the cliffside showdown. Manns great direction makes for a better than average popcorn epic.
Rated 15 Apr 2016
Bland, with mostly wooden acting. An interesting concept betrayed by its filmmakers.
Rated 12 Aug 2016